Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Recommended Reading.... (Read 1360 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Recommended Reading....
Aug 17th, 2006 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Is there a book or series of books that you especially like and would recommend? Then this is the thread to do it in!

I'll start off with this site. If you love Harry Potter and haven't checked out Diane Duane's Young Wizards series, you owe it to yourself to do so. The first book "So You Want to be a Wizard" was first published back in the 80's and the 8th book in the series "Wizards at War" was published in 2005. The books follow the adventures of Nita and Kit, two young wizards as they are thrown into the fray with nothing but their courage and their Spellbooks. No "Hogwarts" here! It's "learn by doing or die trying!"

Here is the website: http://www.youngwizards.com/

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Re: Recommended Reading....
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Looks cool, Mog & I'll have to check it out.  Smiley  If you like fantasy even the tiniest bit, I strongly recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.  He has a very funny style, yet still philosophical.  He's written about thirty-some-odd books set in that world.  His take on Death is just so deadpan hilarious.

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 4:09am
Print Post  
*giggle* Nike has mentioned that series to me. I'm gonna HAVE to pick it up.  The Young Wizards is set in the 80's there are lots of Star Wars references in the early books. hehehehe

IP Logged

Silentlover

Car parts, bottles, and
cutlery

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Okay well one book I'll always recommend is "Belinda" by Anne Rampling(aka Anne Rice). A love story about a couple with an extreme age gap(one 17, the other in his 40s). Very good though!

Also pretty much anything else by Anne Rice.

Another good series(as I've said in other threads) is the "Anita Blake Vampire Hunter" series by Laurell K. Hamilton. The books take a look at vampires a much more conventional sense as opposed to Anne Rice's. But so far the series is very good.

Recently I really enjoyed a murder-mystery book by C.S. Harris called, "What Angel's Fear". I actually bought it on a whim. I only read the back cover which is unusual for me. Usually I read many reviews and such before buying a book but this one just called to me. I'm currently waiting for the second in the series(called the "Sebastian St. Cyr" series) called "When Gods Die" to come out on paperback.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2007 at 9:28pm by Silentlover »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series and his Paarfi Histories (The Pheonix Guards, Five Hundred Years After, The Paths of the Dead, Castle Black, and Sethra Lavode).

The Vlad Taltos series is the story of an interesting little man in a non-human society.  It is not your stereotypical sword-and-sorcery quasi-Medieval fantasy.  It's cloak and dagger.  They read very much like the 1950s' pulp detective and spy fictions.

The Paarfi Histories are stories which are historical fiction of the world of the Taltos series.  The premise of the books is they are translations of Dragaerian (the non-humans) texts for our world.  They are written in the High Romantic style of the Victorian period (think Alexander Dumas).  (This series ws originally done as a big f. you to some of those elitist literature professors.  Mr. Brust's contention is modern fantasy and sci-fi is as much serious literature as Dumas' Musketeers.)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:24pm
Print Post  

The Last Rune by Mark Anthony

This is the first in a set of 6 (all of which have been released). Fantasy novels with mirror worlds Earth/Eldh, Earth being largely mundane, Eldh still having magic.  Very good series, and one of those sets of books that I have read numerous times.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint