Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What are you reading -- right now? (Read 19241 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

What are you reading -- right now?
Aug 18th, 2006 at 2:32am
Print Post  
What book is on your night stand? In your tote bag? What book, be it fact or fiction, is holding your interest right now!

I'm joined at the hip with my copy of "The Psychic Vampire Codex" by Michelle Belanger. It goes everywhere with me and I stick my nose in it at every opportunity. I've also pulled down my copy of "Alchemy of Nine Dimensions" by Barbara Hand Clow for a re-read along with a couple of other books of the same sort.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:24am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Re: What are you reading -- right now?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Dean Koontz's The Face.  And I'm also reading Argent's posted stories - finally had time to print them off at work. I prefer to hold something in my hands to read it.  Wink  So far, Argent, I like it - will post in the review area when I'm done.

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 1:50am
Print Post  
I just finished Stephen King's On Writing... I swear I was getting shivers reading it, his ideas & views on the craft are virtually identical to mine.  Just to know that my idol feels the same way I do... incredible! *shiver*  I'd definitely recommend On Writing to any writer - there's some very good advice and suggestions.  Then there's also his brief memoir at the beginning, and in the addendum, he goes over the accident that happened in the midst of writing this book - in great detail.  Geez, when you think of what he went through... but I don't wanna spoil it, go pick it up!!  

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:00am
Print Post  
I'll put it on my "To Get" List. I've really got to get caught up on my reading before I get any more books but when I see an interesting one I'm helpless. I guess that if I have an addiction, it is to books!
I'm reading "Psychic Dreamwalking by Michelle Belanger right now. She is the author of "The Psychic Vampire Codex" "The Ethical Psychic Vampire" is on the way and I bought "Mindlight" by Silver RavenWolf this morning. [I think I see a pattern here....]
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:25am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Well, for the moment, I'm switching back to Pratchett's Discworld - Doc had Nightwatch checked out, & I re-checked that out while getting Monstrous Regiment and The Truth.  They're the last three of his that our library has that I haven't read.  I picked up several Straub and some other used horror tomes when we last hit Monty's books, so if I get a horror jones, I can always hit those.  Damn, I just realized I've even got a few Kings that I haven't read yet...  *rubbing hands delightedly*

YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 3:38am
Print Post  
LOL Sounds like you are all set. I'm reading everything I can find on energy work and meditation...
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:25am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 1:53am
Print Post  
I've finally gotten started on "Mindlight" by Silver RavenWolf. The subject is meditation and the magickal applications of quantum physics. I've only started experimenting but the few that I've really concentrated on have been successful. Needless to say, this little girl is gonna put on her lab coat and see what develops!!
I've also started reading "Head First HTML with CSS and XHTML" by Elisabeth Freeman and Eric Freeman with an eye to understanding the source code of our little online home here. And once I understand it..... muwahahahahahahaha
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

PD
God Member

aka ~ Brat

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I'm reading "Spirit Gate" by Kate Elliot, it's big and heavy, damn confusing at times but a good read all the same

~ BRAT ~
IP Logged

bladeraven

Da Momma

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Re-reading "Sense and Sensibilty" for the hundredth time... Grin

Being defiant isn't always a bad thing; Refusing to be belittle or struck down isn't a bad thing; Submitting is a bad thing.
YIM  
IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Just finished The Complete Ivory by Doris Egan for the fourth time. I'm thinking of re-reading some Heinlein or Herbert, but I'm not sure which yet.

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Heh, scrapped that, and I'm a little more than halfway through Anne Bishop's The Invisible Ring. Interesting magic system and social hierarchy, although honestly the characters and story could be a bit better-fleshed. A good read though.
Of course, Daemon Sadi is my favorite, but then, he is written that way.......lol

Black Rose
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:03am by Black_Rose »  

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 5:17am
Print Post  
I've got three books on order: Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion, Crossroads and Dancing the Goddess Incarnate. The first two are strictly about Hekate, the third has a very interesting section on Her that I want to study further.
I'm also going through "The Magickal Use of Thoughtforms" and getting the materials gathered to do the exercises. I'm working on the "white box" now. Busy, busy girl...
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

PD
God Member

aka ~ Brat

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I'm reading "Interview with a vampire" by Ann Rice.  I watched the movie at christmas and I wanted to see how the book compared...

~ BRAT ~
IP Logged

Silentlover

Car parts, bottles, and
cutlery

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 12:16am
Print Post  
PD wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:22pm:
I'm reading "Interview with a vampire" by Ann Rice.  I watched the movie at christmas and I wanted to see how the book compared...

Trust me, the book is miles better than the movie. I'm just too critical of movies so many minor errors that most would let slip irk me to no end! lol

Right now I'm mainly reading "Bloody Bones" by Laurell K. Hamilton. I was really quite a few more "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, re-reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astrology" by Madeline Gerwick-Broduer and Lisa Lenard, and also "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini(I think that's his name) but I got some sense. I realized trying to read all those books as well as juggle my internet addiction, real life, and work was just too much for a dunce like me lol.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I'm currently re-reading the Incarnations of Immortality series by Peirs Anthony in random order.  Also, I am reading A Pagan History of Europe by Jones/Pennick.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

PD
God Member

aka ~ Brat

Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Silentlover wrote on Mar 12th, 2007 at 12:16am:
Trust me, the book is miles better than the movie. I'm just too critical of movies so many minor errors that most would let slip irk me to no end! lol

Right now I'm mainly reading "Bloody Bones" by Laurell K. Hamilton. I was really quite a few more "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, re-reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astrology" by Madeline Gerwick-Broduer and Lisa Lenard, and also "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini(I think that's his name) but I got some sense. I realized trying to read all those books as well as juggle my internet addiction, real life, and work was just too much for a dunce like me lol.

Eragon is such a brilliant book, as is Pride and Predjudice, but unlike P & P, they made a complete thingy up of the film.  I was ranting all the way home about what was wrong with it.

~ BRAT ~
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I just finished reading "Crossroads The Path of Hecate" by Greg Crowfoot and I'm about half way through with "The Gaia Project 2012" by Hwee-Yong Jang. The latter dovetails nicely with another book I read a few years ago -- and pulled out again last night -- "Dear God, What's Happening to Us?" by Lynn Grabhorn and well as a couple of other books, chiefly  "The Pleiadian Agenda" by Barbara Hand Clow.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

person of shadow

Serenity Newbie

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Ok heres the list(amd don't ask me how I keep the stories seperated, I honestly don't know)
Wizard and glass(dark tower series)-Stephen King
House- Tedd dekker and Frank Peretti(Can't wait for the movie!)
Desperation- Stephen King
Monster- Frank Peretti

Recently read:
Fistful of Charms- Kim Harrison
Cell-Stephen King
My life at Rose red- ??

Waiting to read:
Thr3e-Either tedd dekker or frank peretti
For a few demons more(Pretty sure thats the title)- Kim Harrison
Pretty Much every Stephen King book

I like books Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:58am by person of shadow »  
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:06am
Print Post  
We like books too! Between the four of us, we probably have in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand books. We've never counted them. Frankly, I'm afraid to.  Grin As I told Darklord Kodiak recently "Yes, I have books I haven't read yet. I live in a library!"
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 2:04am
Print Post  
4 tons.  We have 4 TONS of books.

Last time we moved, I used the scales on the Interstate, and found out we have 4 tones of books.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 2:08am
Print Post  
I told Skywise when we moved here that I was NOT moving again. I'll leave here in a pine box..
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:29am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

PD
God Member

aka ~ Brat

Reply #21 - May 1st, 2007 at 8:52am
Print Post  
I've got so many books that I've completely filled 2 full size bookcases and I've overloaded on to 2 of my wall shelves!  I don't know what I'm gonna do when I get more...probably have to move the chest of drawers from the hallway outside my room and put my old bookcase there instead!

~ BRAT ~
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2007 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
This morning I'm looking for a book that I KNOW I have but I can't find it. It is downstairs somewhere and I'll probably spend the afternoon hunting for it. If I can't find it, I'll probably just go online and get another copy since I REALLY NEED THAT BOOK!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - May 7th, 2007 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I went and bought that book this weekend. LOL I know I have another copy around here somewhere...
I'm re-reading Pagan Polyamory by Raven Kaldera. It is a fascinating book and I do think that it is an idea and a lifestyle whose time has come.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 12:03am
Print Post  
I'm reading "Tactical Magick" right now. I'm almost through my first reading. I picked up "The Art of War" today which I want to compare to "The Occult Art of War" which I got a few weeks ago. Should be interesting reading.  Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:30am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint