Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What is it Like to be an Empath? (Read 15 times)
Lorrie
Ex Member

What is it Like to be an Empath?
Jun 26th, 2006 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
  I found this on the internet a while back, it is quite a description of what it is like.

Link:  http://www.radix.net/~dglenn/words/untitled-1.html

copyright 1987 by D. Glenn Arthur Jr.
[What's new at this site] Last updated 2001-11-07 (layout only).      

This is an untitled piece I wrote at three in the morning, 11 May, 1987, on the subject of being an empath.
Do you comprehend what I feel
Do you know what it is
To feel another's pain and fear?
Ah, no, I see you do not.
Can you imagine, then,
Coming awake in the night
Deeply afraid - aye, stricken to the quick
With dread
And mortal terror
Because somewhere, someone you love
Has had a nightmare?
Ah, no, I see you do not comprehend.
Then picture this:
You attend a party
But do not drink.
You are not in the mood to drink.
Yet you still get drunk
Without drinking
Because those around you are drunk
And it hurts.
Oh, I see, you grasp the basic idea
Bu you cannot believe in the phenomenon.
(It is quite real, I assure you,
And could you see my soul
I would show you scars.)
But regardless
Of your faith or disbelief
Let us assume for the sake of argument
That it is so.
Ah, yes, you say you can imagine
If but this were true

But you do not.

Save your protests; I know you think you see
What I have said so far,
But that was merely prelude.
If one you love is suffering
From confusion, grief, or fear,
You might wish you could take their pain
That they not suffer -
(I see you nod assent)
- But would you still make that wish
if you knew you really could
(Don't interrupt just yet...)
And in fact had no choice in the matter?
Ah, you begin to understand me,
And still don't know my pain.
But that blonde girl in the corner
Has been listening to our conversation
And knows exactly what I mean.
How do I know? It should be obvious:
I know she knows for the same reason that she knows.
Alas, I have inadvertently reminded her of her pain
But she is better at keeping it to herself than most.
Please, don't look at me like that.

Imagine now that a stranger is crying
And you share his pain
Though you do not know him.
No, it gets worse. Trust me.
You are in a room full of people, yes?
Well, one of them is very, very shy
And quite frightened
And frustrated because of it.
You doubt me? Ask the blonde girl in the corner;
She feels him too.
But wait - that is not the worst.
See the tall fellow by the potato chips?
See his face?
Wrong -- he is not the one.
He is merely one who is affected by the shy one
But he does not know whay he feels that way
He is not that way himself, usually,
and does not understand what is happening to him.
The look that crossed your face was horror
I see you do begin to understand.

No, I do not know where the shy one is,
and would be as bewildered
- And frightened and frustrated -
As the tall one there
Were we not already discussing this.
What? You'd thought I was immune
To that sort of effect
Through knowledge, or practice?
No, just luck. This time.
For in the course of a day
I can run the entire gamut
Of human emotion
Changing moods several times an hour
And never understand
Never realize
What has happened.
Yes, now you see.
But though you truly do comprehend
My joy and pain are not as your own
As yours are to me.
Oh, yes, I feel the joy of others too
Which is often more confusing.

So now you know how I knew
That you cried yourself to sleep last night,
And why I was there at your door this morning
When you thought nobody knew.
No, I did not read your thoughts,
But knowing the nature of your distress
I guessed the rest.

You miss her very much, don't you?
I wish I could show you why she left.
Yes, I do know, but I cannot explain in words.
You loved her very much.

(* email D. Glenn Arthur Jr. * Map Of My Web Pages * my main page * about me * musings and observations * me the musician * writings * events * humour *)

[ About Donations ]      
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:07pm by »  

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Re: What is it Like to be an Empath?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
This was an article in Witchvox:

LINK:  http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=uswa&c=words&id=10834
Article Specs

Article ID: 10834

VoxAcct: 252843

Section: words

Age Group: Adult

Days Up: 16

Times Read: 2,747

RSS Views: 64,142
Protection And Shielding: Training the Empath?

Author: Kennewitch [a WitchVox Sponsor]
Posted: June 11th. 2006
Times Viewed: 2,747

Why do we protect and shield? Is there really a reason for doing so? What and how do you go about it? What is the meat behind it?

For starters I am an Empath from birth. I never knew it until I became enlightened. As a child I was outcast, I always felt different, I could sense the moods of the people around me. I did not mesh well with others, I was extremely quiet, I liked nature and playing a lot more than being stuffed in a classroom with really nasty children. Boy they are right when they tell you children are cruel. My childhood was not kind to me at all. Having crossed eyes did not help either. So as an outcast to society I turned to books and reading, I sucked up anything to do with the Greek gods. I stopped speaking, I kept to myself, I always looked down, I shuffled my feet. I only spoke when spoken to. I hated school. Everyone around me when I was a child thought I was a little “slow.”

I used to “see” things that others couldn’t see especially at night, that was scary, I wished I had someone to tell me the red man swinging on the ceiling was just a spirit of the house…But no that was not to be. I was not really raised religious, quite the opposite in fact. There was no religion there kinda sorta. Although as I look back It smacked of matriarchy…I learned that men were fun to chase but once caught we got bored with them and we moved on. So the male figure in my life was quite a negative one. I did not get a good feeling on the male specie. That is for another story.

I could actually see the mood change and feel it too. It is like an electric shock when a mood changes. I bet you didn’t know that? Well to me it is a little painful, it is almost embarrassing because to me you are exposed. I will not blurt out…”oh hey I noticed your mood changed?” There is kindness is silence you know. This is not the time to be carted off to the looney bin. No, I kept quiet.

I cannot be around crowds for too long.. I get claustrophobic. It is like a huge confusion, I lose my concentration, my focus and then I get irritable, hurried, more confused and I start feeling creepy crawlies up and down my spine.
But this ties in with my whole point. I think If I were taught to shield when I was young, I would be a more stable and solid person. But hey, this is the lesson I must learn I guess.

A very wise person once gave me some information on shielding. I was looking for something to help me understand who I really was. As a sense, I still do not know the “real” me. I have, all my life emulated the people around me, I am like a chameleon, I “take on” the personalities of the people around me as well as being an empath, so I am doubly blessed or cursed. I also tend to give my energy to those around me as well.
This is very tiring and it drains me. It still does as I still do not yet have the means to balance and control it. I am learning though, or at least I think I am. There is really not much on the market today about this sort of thing. My grandmother once told me I had “healing hands.” Funny how I remember that statement until this day. I now know that most of my work is done by my “hands” I can sense things with them depending on my right or left. I can feel peoples electrical fields around their bodies…. I am also a huge magnet for static electricity. I can stand still and not move and still send or receive those wonderful little shocks. I cannot wear a watch, I kill them, my rings I wear bend in oval shapes with time…Jeez it makes me wonder what I really am…? I sometimes imagine if I held a piece of metal between my hands if it would float?

Okay enough of the fantasy… back to the subject of shielding. Any way a few months back there was an essay about shielding and I made a comment about the empath not being addressed and then an essay was written than truly hit home. I will not go into details as I have not the patience for that. (and I fail to remember who it was) . I know I am bad…but lets continue. I give credit for this person because I am now able to shield myself and ground some extra energy somewhat. I find I am sleeping a lot more now and getting a rep as a “Dream walker.” My empathic abilities are calming down and I think I am finding out who I truly am. Although I am having the tendency to shut them totally off, when that happens I feel “deaf”. That is too far on the unbalance side, so I turn them on again…Whew I need to sleep! I do find that I am still learning. I have a long way to go until I manage to control them.

I am finding society as a whole does not support feelings. You must keep them to yourself there is no room here for the individual. “We are the Borg you will be assimilated…Sound familiar? Well it should, because society today reminds me of them. No individuality, nothing is sacred anymore. So therefore if you show any difference what so ever you are labeled with a psycho disease and given medication. Wow, how is that for a nurturing society? I bet… no, I stake my rep as witch that most of the people on drugs are gifted in some way. So I guess you could say that drugs can be a form of shielding and protection from their true selves?

There is so much information about protection and shielding on the net, in books, from teachers, if your lucky to have one. But this is just general info for the masses. There needs to be a specialization on each gift we have. I know I seem to be rambling but my whole point is that Empaths need special training or we can become mental, psycho killers who hate. Or we can become a “psychic vampire” to ground ourselves, to get an energy recharge, or we totally become the person we are with we have no will of our own. There is no way we can find who we truly are without some form of protection and shielding. We tend to give ourselves away or take too much. We need to find a balance here, a kind of Libra teaching if you will. I know I will name it the “Libra shielding Technique for the Empath!”
I have a long way to go. I still need to find my “Libra” and until then I will continue to be the best I can be without being an energy sucking psycho killer. Ground and shield! “protect yourself”. Twitch…..Twitch.
What do you think? When I discover and perfect this thing, I will mass market it, make lots of money and retire quietly on some obscure beach with a young cabana boy…. Sigh.

Copyright:  by Kennewitch 5-06

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
here is more info on empaths:
link: http://www.spiritual.com.au/articles/psychics_mediums/empathy-whatis.htm

Empathy - What Is It?
Find out more about empathy and empaths here...

What is Empathy?

Empathy is the ability to "read” and understand people and be in-tune with or resonate with others, voluntarily or involuntarily of one's empath capacity. Empathy often works alongside with telepathy, and this mutually enhances the strength of these abilities.

Empaths have the ability to scan another's psyche for thoughts and feelings or for past, present, and future life occurrences. Many empaths are unaware of how this actually works, and have long accepted that they were “sensitive” to others.

Empathy is a “feeling” of another’s true emotions to a point where an empath can relate to that person by sensing true feelings that run deeper than those portrayed on the surface. People commonly put on a “show” of expression. This is a learned trait of hiding authentic expression in an increasingly demanding society.

An empath can sense the truth behind the “cover” and will act compassionately to help that person express him/herself, thus making them feel at ease and not so desperately alone. It’s as though the empath truly understands, and, in many cases, they do through personal “firsthand” experience.

Empaths experience empathy towards family, children, friends, close associates, complete strangers, pets, plants and inanimate objects. Thus, an empath can feel the emotions of people and things at a distance. Some are empathic towards animals (the “Horse Whisperer”), to nature, to the planetary system, to mechanical devices or to buildings. Others will have a combination of the above.

Empaths are highly “sensitive”. This is the term commonly used in describing one's abilities (sensitivity) to another’s emotions and feelings. Empaths have a deep sense of “knowing” that accompanies empathy and are often compassionate, considerate, and understanding of others. Everyone has this natural ability; however, many never choose to utilize their ability and/or are completely unaware of their empathic ability.

There are also varying levels of strength in empaths which may be related to the individual’s awareness of self, understanding of the powers of empathy, and/or the acceptance or non-acceptance of empathy by those associated with them, including family and peers. Generally, those who are empathic grow up with these tendencies and do not learn about them until later in life.

Empathy is genetic, inherent in our DNA, and passed from generation to generation. It is studied both by traditional science and alternative healing practitioners.

Empathy has both biological/genetic and spiritual aspects. Many will claim that empathy and telepathy are strictly of a “spiritual nature”. This is an injustice; just as it is an injustice to focus only on the physical nature of empathy. For indeed, empathy has very physical, mental and spiritual implications and attributes.

It is not unusual for empaths to have experienced many things in their lives. Often many of their life experiences could be considered rather extreme, adventurous, or daring, allowing empaths to be open and receptive to much more. Whereas some people’s lives may be considered rather “soft or easy” and even enviable, that of an empath is often more than just challenging, with many a major roller coaster ride thrown in here and there!

Empaths often possess the ability to sense others on many different levels. From their position in observing what another is saying, feeling and thinking, they come to understand another. They can become very proficient at reading another person’s body language and/or study intently the eye movements. While this in itself is not empathy, it is a side-shoot that comes from being observant of others. In a sense, empaths have a complete communication package.

While there is much we don’t yet understand about how empathy works, we do have some information. Everything has an energetic vibration or frequency and an empath is able to sense these vibrations and recognize even the subtlest changes undetectable to the naked eye or the five senses.

Words of expression hold an energetic pattern that originates from the speaker. They have a specific meaning particular to the speaker. Behind that expression is a power better known as “energy”. For example, hate often brings about an intense feeling that immediately accompanies the word. The word “hate” becomes strengthened with the speaker’s feeling. It is that person’s feelings (energy) that are picked up by empaths, whether the words are spoken, thought or just felt without verbal or bodily expression.

Who is an Empath?

Empaths are creative in many aspects.. Poets, writers, singers, and artists with a high degree of creativity and imagination. They are known for many talents as their interests are varied, broad and continual. They are mother, father, child, friend, nurse, caregiver, teacher, doctor, sales people... to psychic, clairvoyant, healer, etc. (That is not to say that any of these categories are all empaths.) The list is extensive and really unimportant. It is more important to notice that empaths are everywhere--in every culture and throughout the world.

One of the most obvious places for empathic connection is within the parent/child/family bonds. Mothers show recognizable signs of empathy in the early days of conception and this rapidly increases after birth. Children are often mirroring the feelings and thoughts of their parents and siblings because they are empathically “in tune” with them and exposed to them on a daily basis. It is wonderful for children to grow up with parents in awareness of empathy for the children are less likely to suppress their abilities and accept their natural talents.

Empaths are often very affectionate in personality and expression, great listeners and counselors (and not just in the professional area). They will find themselves helping others and often putting their own needs aside to do so. In the same breath, they can be much the opposite. They may be quiet, withdrawn from the outside world, loners, depressed, neurotic, life’s daydreamers, or even narcissistic.

They are most often passionate towards nature and respect its bountiful beauty. One will often find empaths enjoying the outdoors, beaches, walking, etc. Empaths may find themselves continually drawn to nature as a form of release. It is the opportune place to recapture their senses and gain a sense of peace in the hectic lives they may live. The time to get away from it all and unwind with nature becomes essential to the empath. Animals are often dear to the heart of empaths. It is not uncommon for empaths to have more than one pet in their homes. They can be veterinarians and animal caretakers.

Empaths make great friends for life, but are crushed if the friendship is abused. Over time, they will become far more selective. Though they may have a large circle of friends, they generally only have a few “close” ones.

...Continued From What Is Empathy)

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
More of the last article:

...Continued From What Is Empathy)

Traits of an Empath

Empaths are often quiet achievers. They can take a while to handle a compliment for they're more inclined to point out another’s positive attributes. They are highly expressive in all areas of emotional connection, and talk openly, and, at times quite frankly. They may have few problems talking about their feelings if another cares to listen (regardless of how much they listen to others).

However, they can be the exact opposite: reclusive and apparently unresponsive at the best of times. They may even appear ignorant. Some are very good at “blocking out” others and that’s not always a bad thing, at least for the learning empath struggling with a barrage of emotions from others, as well as their own feelings.

Empaths have a tendency to openly feel what is outside of them more so than what is inside of them. This can cause empaths to ignore their own needs. In general an empath is non-violent, non-aggressive and leans more towards being the peacemaker. Any area filled with disharmony creates an uncomfortable feeling in an empath. If they find themselves in the middle of a confrontation, they will endeavor to settle the situation as quickly as possible, if not avoid it all together. If any harsh words are expressed in defending themselves, they will likely resent their lack of self-control, and have a preference to peacefully resolve the problem quickly.
Empaths are more inclined to pick up another’s feelings and project it back without realizing its origin in the first place. Talking things out is a major factor in releasing emotions in the learning empath. Empaths can develop an even stronger degree of understanding so that they can find peace in most situations. The downside is that empaths may bottle up emotions and build barriers sky-high so as to not let others know of their innermost thoughts and/or feelings. This withholding of emotional expression can be a direct result of a traumatic experience, an expressionless upbringing, or simply being told as a child, "Children are meant to be seen and not heard!"

Without a doubt, this emotional withholding can be detrimental to one’s health, for the longer one’s thoughts and/or emotions aren't released, the more power they build. The thoughts and/or emotions can eventually becoming explosive, if not crippling. The need to express oneself honestly is a form of healing and a choice open to all. To not do so can result in a breakdown of the person and result in mental/emotional instability or the creation of a physical ailment, illness or disease.

Empaths are sensitive to TV, videos, movies, news and broadcasts. Violence or emotional dramas depicting shocking scenes of physical or emotional pain inflicted on adults, children or animals can bring an empath easily to tears. At times, they may feel physically ill or choke back the tears. Some empaths will struggle to comprehend any such cruelty, and mayl have grave difficulty in expressing themselves in the face of another’s ignorance, closed-mindedness and obvious lack of compassion. They simply cannot justify the suffering they feel and see.

You will find empaths working with people, animals or nature with a true passion and dedication to help them. They are often tireless teachers and/or caretakers for our environment and all within it. Many volunteers are empathic and give up personal time to help others without pay and/or recognition.

Empaths may be excellent storytellers due to an endless imagination, inquisitive minds and ever-expanding knowledge. They can be old romantics at heart and very gentle. They may also be the “keepers” of ancestral knowledge and family history. If not the obvious family historians, they may be the ones who listen to the stories passed down and possess the majority of the family history. Not surprisingly, they may have started or possess a family tree.

They have a broad interest in music to suit their many expressive temperaments, and others can query how empaths can listen to one style of music, and within minutes, change to something entirely different. Lyrics within a song can have adverse, powerful effects on empaths, especially if it is relevant to a recent experience. In these moments, it is advisable for empaths to listen to music without lyrics, to avoid playing havoc with their emotions!

They are just as expressive with body language as with words, thoughts, and feelings. Their creativity is often expressed through dance, acting, and bodily movements. Empaths can project an incredible amount of energy portraying and/or releasing emotion. Empaths can become lost in the music, to the point of being in a trance-like state; they become one with the music through the expression of their physical bodies. They describe this feeling as a time when all else around them is almost non-existent.

People of all walks of life and animals are attracted to the warmth and genuine compassion of empaths. Regardless of whether others are aware of one being empathic, people are drawn to them as a metal object is to a magnet!

Even complete strangers find it easy to talk to empaths about the most personal things, and before they know it, they have poured out their hearts and souls without intending to do so consciously. It is as though on a sub-conscious level that person knows instinctively that empaths would listen with compassionate understanding. Then again, for empaths, it is always nice to actually be heard themselves!

Here are the listeners of life. They can be outgoing, bubbly, enthusiastic and a joy to be in the presence of, as well as highly humorous at the most unusual moments! On the flip side, empaths can be weighted with mood swings that will have others around them want to jump overboard and abandon ship! The thoughts and feelings empaths receive from any and all in their life can be so overwhelming (if not understood) that their moods can fluctuate with lightning speed. One moment they may be delightfully happy and with a flick of the switch, miserable.

Abandoning an empath in the throes of alternating moods can create detrimental effects. A simple return of empathic love--listening and caring compassionately without bias, judgment and/or condemnation--can go an incredibly long way to an empath's instant recovery. Many empaths don't understand what is occurring within them. They literally have no idea that another person’s emotions are now felt, as one’s own and reflected outwardly. They are confused as to how one moment all was well, and then the next, they feel so depressed, alone, etc. The need to understand the possibilities of empath connection is a vital part of the empaths journey for themselves and for those around them.

Empaths are often problem solvers, thinkers, and studiers of many things. As far as empaths are concerned, where a problem is, so too is the answer. They often will search until they find one--if only for peace of mind. This can certainly prove beneficial for others in their relationships, in the workplace, or on the home front. Where there is a will, there is a way and the empath will find it. The empath can literally (likely without the knowledge of what’s actually occurring) tap into Universal Knowledge and be receptive to guidance in solving anything they put their head and hearts into.

Empaths often are vivid and/or lucid dreamers. They can dream in detail and are inquisitive of dream content. Often they feel as though the dreams are linked to their physical life somehow, and not just a mumble of nonsensical, irrelevant, meaningless images. This curiosity will lead many empathic dreamers to unravel some of the “mysterious” dream contents from an early age and connect the interpretation to its relevance in their physical life. If not, they may be led to dream interpretations through other means.

Empaths are daydreamers with difficulty keeping focused on the mundane. If life isn't stimulating, off an empath will go into a detached state of mind. They will go somewhere, anywhere, in a thought that appears detached from the physical reality, yet is alive and active for they really are off and away. If a tutor is lecturing with little to no emotional input, empaths will not be receptive to such teaching and can (unintentionally) drift into a state of daydreaming.

Give the empath student the tutor who speaks with stimuli and emotion (through actual experience of any given subject) and the empath is receptively alert. Empaths are a captivated audience. This same principle applies in acting. An actor will either captivate the audience through expressing (in all aspects) emotions (as though they really did experience the role they are portraying) or will loose them entirely. Empaths make outstanding actors.

Empaths frequently experience déjà vu and synchronicities. What may initially start as, "Oh, what a coincidence", will lead to the understanding of synchronicities as an aspect of who they are. These synchronicities will become a welcomed and continually expanding occurrence. As an understanding of self grows, the synchronicities become more fluent and free flowing. The synchronicities can promote a feeling of euphoria as empaths identify with them and appreciate the connection to their empathic nature.

Empaths are most likely to have had varying paranormal experiences throughout their lives. NDE's (Near death experiences) and or OBE's (Out of body experiences) can catapult an unaware empath into the awakening period and provide the momentum for a journey of discovery. Those who get caught up in life, in society’s often dictating ways, in work etc., can become lost in a mechanical way of living that provides very little meaning. All “signs of guidance” are ignored to shift out of this state of “doing”. A path to being whole again becomes evident and a search for more meaning in one’s life begins.

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Same article continued:

These types of experiences appear dramatic, can be life-altering indeed, and are most assuredly just as intensely memorable in years to come. They are the voice of guidance encouraging us to pursue our journey in awareness. Sometimes, some of us require that extra assistance!

For some empaths, the lack of outside understanding towards paranormal events they experience, may lead to suppressing such abilities. (Most of these abilities are very natural and not a coincidence.) Empaths may unknowingly adopt the positive or negative attitude of others as their own. (This, however, can be overcome.) Empaths may need to follow interests in the paranormal and the unexplained with curiosity so as to explain and accept their life circumstances.

Examples of Empathy & Telempathic Abilities

A friend is telling you of a situation with another friend, yet trying to make light of it. You just “know” it’s affecting them far more deeply and you make a subtle comment. You may even be quite descriptive. Your friend turns around and says, “How did you know that’s how I was really feeling?!” (Note this is a frequent, rather than one-time, occurrence.)

A young child is playing at the local park a few houses away. He falls over and cuts open his knee. His mother, at home, gets a “gut” feeling and drops what she's doing to go “check-in” on her youngster only to find her child crying his eyes out and cradling his injury.

A mother is in a much-needed, deep sleep and manages to squeeze in a couple of hours throughout the night. She awakes without obvious interruption to go “check-in” on her baby, who is stirring awake. (Again, this is a frequent, rather than a one-time. occurrence.)

A woman is feeling happy, relaxed, and has had a great day. Her partner comes home from work, grumbling the moment he walks in the door about how stressful the boss was and the pressure that was placed upon him. Within an instant, the woman is grumbling back.

A young man is talking with a girlfriend about something that is of concern and the girlfriend’s lack of interest starts to show in her becoming irritated with the conversation. In return, the young man picks up the irritation and shows it openly.

A parent senses that a teenager has had a rough patch with new boyfriend and is feeling down. The parent openly talks to her with obvious concern and understanding. In turn, the teen opens up and feels much better!

A child walks into a house and instantly feels a chill in the air, disharmony or as though something unpleasant has occurred at some point in time in the house.

The family is going to visit someone, and prior to arriving, the oldest son suddenly feels anxious for no apparent reason. Upon arriving at the destination, the family finds out that someone has just had a heated argument.

A young boy finds that he “knows” or senses bad news before it arrives. He has “felt” the illness, injury or death of a loved one. Some of these loved ones live thousands of miles away.

A woman is thinking of someone just as the telephone rings and guess who it is?

A father has a strong feeling of prevailing danger. Later that afternoon, his son is involved in an automobile accident.

A teen is particularly good at problem solving with mechanical devices, even though he doesn’t know precisely how they are made.

A teacher is particularly good at problem solving in many areas and has the ability to “look” deeper and find creative solutions.

A fisherman is “sensitive” to weather and knows when a storm comes. He gets a tingling sensation running through his chest that always precedes stormy weather.

A medical intuitive has the ability to sense illness/disease in others. She can “read” deeply and find cause of the illness or disease.

A woman walks by a stranger in a mall and feels an intense weight and feels like she is being lost in a fog. As soon as the person leaves, so too does the energetic vibration, weight and confusion.

A man awakes in the night and feels as if his recently departed wife is standing beside his bed.

A hiker has a strong sense of direction and a natural ability to navigate, in the car, walking etc. Even under the canopy of a dense forest, he is able to find his way.
Authors Details: Empath - Unknown Source

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 12:13am
Print Post  
  I just found this on another forum, it looks like it has some useful information in it. It is from a yahoo group that I belong to.

Shielding and Grounding

This is the absolute most asked-about topic pertaining to empaths.
Related ones include crowd-sickness, inability to be around unhappy
people, physical sickness as a byproduct, negative recursive cycles,
violation of (your) personal boundaries, often feeling "overwhelmed",
feeling as if under constant attack, strange headaches & bodyaches,
etc.

It's not absolutely necessary, for that matter, to maintain shields -
some find it to be limiting and/or draining. Do stay grounded,
though, as that has very big benefits and nil drawbacks. You can work
out a hybrid version, too; again, whatever works best for you.

As Empaths, Clairsentients and Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs), we
have unique gifts to share with the world. We act as conduits for the
emotions and interpersonal conflicts of the people around us. This is
a profoundly sacred task, but it can be quite challenging and
extremely exhausting! Our sensitivities to people, environments and
global events are very specific and often require out-of-the-box
solutions in order for us to live a life that comes close to being
normal.

Real empathy is an experience of true otherness, whether it be
emotional, physical, intellectual or some other form. Only one in
twenty people are natural empaths. The key to utilizing these gifts
is to become a skilled empath.

Brief List of types of empaths:
PHYSICAL INTUITION: Knowing what is going on in anothers physical
body.

PHYSICAL ONENESS: Feeling what is going on in anothers physical body
in one's own body.

EMOTIONAL INTUITION: Knowing what is going on emotionally in another
person's body.

EMOTIONAL ONENESS: Feeling another's emotions as one's own.

INTELLECTUAL SHAPE SHIFTING: Sharing another person's thought
process.

SPIRITUAL ONENESS: Enables one to experience what another person is
like deep down.

There are a variety of other rare forms such as animal,
environmental, crystal, medical, and molecular
Ref: Rose Rosetree - Chapter 3: Empowered by Empathy, 25 Ways to Fly
in Spirit.

ARE YOU AN EMPATH OR TELEPATH ??
Empaths (based on feelings) Telepath (based on thought)
One can be both.

1- Are you extremely sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of
others, often confusing the emotions of others with their own?

2- Are you like an emotional sponge, soaking up the emotions of
others, absorbing and dissipating the energy and problems of others,
even at a distance.

3- Do you tend to puts others at ease, allowing them to share their
inner most feelings? Do you find yourself helping others, even casual
strangers, understand the world and themselves better?

4- Periodically, do you need to take time out, where you can be alone
to meditate, recharge and experience your own mind without the
interference of others?

5- Have you known about your unique sensitivity since childhood? Have
you struggled with a burden-of-perceptions that others did not share.

6- Do you sometimes use food, sex, drugs or solitude as a means of
coping with you empathic or telepathic nature?

7- Do you have to use masked personality to protect yourself from
others, only sharing your true perceptions with those you trust most?

8- Do you have the ability to facilitate the process of rapid growth
in those around you?

TELEPATHY
by Carla Corcoran
When many people think of the word telepathy, they may think of some
unusual ability that only "special" or "gifted people" have. They may
think of movies depicting this ability where one person hears the
thoughts of another in actual words. Perhaps some people do have that
ability but more often than not, telepathy is a common practice that
comes to most of us naturally which we use in day to day life and for
our basic survival whether we are aware of it or not. The Oxford
dictionary defines telepathy as 'action of one mind on another at a
distance through emotional influence without communication through
the senses. When thinking about this definition it becomes evident
that telepathy does often overlap with many other abilities we may
consider "paranormal" or "extrasensory". Have you ever been standing
in a room of people and suddenly turned around not knowing why and
noticed someone staring at you? How is it possible for us to know
that someone is looking at our back? Did the person call out our name
or say anything? Very often they did not. Have you ever walked into a
room of people and wanted to leave right away because of what you may
refer to as "bad vibes"? Sometimes we may meet or begin to talk with
someone and there will be something in their eyes that makes us
uncomfortable. In these situations, they may not have said anything
to us with words and we may not have been influenced by anything they
did using the general senses we know of but we "sensed something" or
got a "bad feeling". Did you ever meet anyone and not liked them
immediately without any "logical" reason for it? Some people call
that, "bad chemistry". We often "speak to each other" without words
using a language that only our subconscious understands and this
influences our conscious actions, choices and behavior.

What about attractions to other people? Sometimes we can just look
into a person's eyes and immediately become attracted to them and
know potential is there for a relationship of one kind or another.
Telepathic communication is not limited to human beings however. Our
pets develop bonds with us and depending on how strong the bond is,
often communicate with us through eye contact and anyone who has this
type of bond with their pet knows this. Some people believe that a
person with a conscience cannot look another in the eye if they are
lying and this is a good way to know if someone is guilty. Why is it
difficult for many of us to look in someone's eyes while lying to
them. What power do eyes have? There is an old saying that the eyes
are the windows to the soul. Perhaps they transmit the truth to
others who look into them and it all happens on a subconscious level.
In just about every country and time period in history, there have
been many protective amulets, jewelry, talismans, oils, etc which
have been alleged to protect people from "the evil eye" or the
negative thoughts and intentions of others.

Women have often been credited for having "women's intuition" but
many of us, regardless of gender, have this ability. It is an ability
to see things in people and situations without having too much
information to work with. We often use this intuition as a protective
measure and to keep from falling into negative circumstances. Women
have practiced this necessary ability throughout history to raise
children and keep their families together. Very often people in the
business world need it as well especially when they have to work with
lots of people and make "educated guesses" and decisions very
quickly. It is necessary to use it when making decisions about which
people to do business with. Sometimes we need more than just people's
word or hard cold facts.

Sometimes telepathic communication happens between people at great
distance from each other. Someone may get a sudden flash and picture
in their mind of something very disturbing like a fire and think of a
friend who lives far away. Later on they may discover that their
friend's house burned down. Sometimes it is difficult to know whether
a lot of these things are psychic abilities on the part of the one
who has the "visions" or thoughts transmitted to the person by
someone in trouble that the "visionary" picked up on. These abilities
often overlap and it is hard to know for sure. A good example of this
is psychic dreams. We may have a dream that tells us about something
possibly going on in another person's life. We might find out later
that it was very accurate even though there was no way for us to have
this information. Did we pick up on the thoughts of that person we
dreamed about or are we someone who has psychic dreams?

Clairaudience is the ability to hear things outside the normal range
of perception. It is another psychic strength which can also be seen
as a telepathic one. Perhaps this ability, like telepathy, gets
distorted in movies and on television. Did you ever talk to someone
on the telephone and just knew something was wrong even though they
said they are fine and did not say anything with words to tell you
otherwise. "It was just something in her voice", you might say.
Sometimes we may be with someone talking and there will be something
in their eye contact, the tone in their voice, articulations, and
stressors put on certain words that worried you somehow. These are
things most of us experience in our day-to-day life and even though
no words may be spoken we "just know". There are audible clues to a
lot of what is going on with people if we are really paying attention
with senses that may or may not go beyond the common ones we know of.
It depends on your viewpoint. Some might say, "I just know people"
or "I am a careful observer". Telephone psychics often use
clairaudience.

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Many people wonder if telepathy, psychic abilities, clairaudience,
intuition, psychic dreams, etc. are a lot of hocus pocus nonsense
with purely logical explanations or if these abilities are real.
Still others consider that these are skills all of us have and use
everyday without realizing it. Another question is if these abilities
are somehow connected with the spiritual realm or if they come from a
part of the brain we all have but only some of us use. Perhaps at
this point in the evolution of modern civilization, these abilities
are presented in a way that seem special, unusual, extra sensory and
paranormal. Unfortunately, there are those who abuse these words
taking advantage of others by charging enormous amounts of money to
offer them their "gifts". This then insults those of us who are
really in tune with and have developed this special sensitivity,
heightened awareness and intuition who really want to assist and
guide people when we are lumped together with those who exploit other
people for profit. Perhaps it is these charlatans who claim to
have "supernatural powers" that bring on the skeptical attitude in
people and cause them to have a black and white attitude about the
subject all together.

The kind of telepathy we see depicted in science fiction movies may
be hard for many of us to fathom but in every fairy tale, myth or
fantasy, there is always an element of truth. Sometimes it comes from
something in actual recorded history, collective memory or even a
vision of things to come. The Celts, well known for their magical
lore, were believed to have practiced telepathy. During the Roman
Gallic wars, the Romans could not understand how the enemy seemed to
be able to detect even their smallest movements and were able to
quickly prepare for an attack. In more tribal and primitive cultures
such as the Aborigines of Australia, telepathy is accepted as a
common practice. A person who practices the form of telepathy which a
more advanced culture might accept may be more accurately called an
empath. An empath knows things through their feelings, sensitivity
and emotions. Sometimes this knowing even affects them biologically.
The telepath will often naturally or deliberately cut off his
emotions and feelings in order to have better mind-to-mind contact.
Both the empath and the telepath can use their skills constructively
for many of the same purposes to a greater or lesser degree but in
different ways and this may be referred to as "The Art of Telepathy".
For example, if someone is trying to find out if a certain person is
guilty of a crime, an empath and a telepath could be in the room with
the accused man/woman and both able to tune into his/her conscience.
The way they come to know if the one is guilty or not is different.
The empath may know the person is guilty by a gut feeling of dread
and horror, may see disturbing images and get an overwhelming feeling
of fear while the telepath may not be effected emotionally. In his
mind, the telepath may ask the accused a question and then will hear
the response in the form of some kind of dialog and may even obtain
some details of the crime through actual words.

The telepath may understand people by knowing what and how they think
and the empath by what they feel. They may be able to see "the truth"
in situations, have an objective point of view and be able to clarify
misunderstandings and confusion between people. People with these
skills can be a great benefit when help is needed to solve difficult
crimes. They may be able to tell if someone is lying as well. The
telepath may even act as a "human lie detector". The empath can have
a deeper understanding of another person's feelings by experiencing
them vicariously. Then the situation the person is in or their
dilemma may become clearer. They can also help people get in touch
with and sort through feelings that may be buried. Both the telepath
and empath can warn people if they are getting involved with someone
who may not have the best intentions.

A telepath, by tuning into a person's thoughts, can warn us of crimes
before they happen. As dicussed earlier, pets and their human
companions can have a telepathic link at times. An animal can alert a
human to "bad people" by certain unusual behaviors. It is up to us to
listen because in order for this exchange to take place, the receiver
must be open to the sender's message. Sometimes the timing has to be
right as well. This is especially true when healing is sent to
another person telepathically. The healing will be most powerful and
successful when the receiver is thought to be most receptive.
Sometimes a very effective telepath or group of people with these
skills can send healing to a person on the other side of the world.
The talent and skill of the empath and telepath can be very
beneficial to many people as long as it is used constructively. Those
who have it must know how to harness and regulate it as well. It is
believed that all people have telepathic abilities and the only
difference between telepaths and those who are not is that those who
are have come to an awareness of its presence. This jewel many of our
ancestors took for granted which is still commonly used today by more
primitive people is considered to be a talent only of the gifted by
our modern, advanced culture but perhaps someday it will be accepted
as a reality common to all people.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:59 am

Show Message Info
#325 of 356
Msg List <Prev | Next>
View Source
Use Fixed Width Font
Unwrap Lines
"musette_du_coudray" <azuredark@...>
musette_du_c...
Send Email Send Email
Invite to Yahoo! 360° Invite to Yahoo! 360°

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 12:47am
Print Post  
  Here is a nice article, it was a response to someone trying to seperate from another person, I'll post both question and answer here. It caught my attention because I have always had the same problem, I never associated it with being an empath though!!!

I find I have the hardest time terminating unhealthy/ unsafe
relationships with lovers. I can and have done so before, but it
really just seems to rip out my guts and leave me feeling hollow,
isolated and enraged. Please, if ANYONE has the same difficulties,
please, please respond to this... perhaps you may have some good
advice? Peace and love to all.
"rdfcrimson" <william_clancy2003@...>
rdfcrimson

Hi there. I would recommend a visualization; those are always
extremely helpful. Get into a meditative state; take as long as you
need to get there.. envision energetic cords linking you and the other
person (who you should see immediately in front of you).. see one