Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dyrtbagg & Slutt, PIs ch. 2 (Read 1007 times)
DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Dyrtbagg & Slutt, PIs ch. 2
Jul 1st, 2006 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Chastity settled down to her morning tea while she opened the office mail.  She had been there only a few days, but Janet and Bruce had let things pile up while they were assistant-less.  There were the usual bills, and some checks for payments.  Chastity had already gotten the company books mostly straightened out; they hadn’t been as hopeless as she had feared.  Sebben and Charles had been a nightmare when she started there – two weeks of mail that had barely been touched, and the accounts were a mess.  Chastity had done nothing but call past due accounts for the first week of employment.  Dyrtbagg and Slutt was a cakewalk in comparison.

She giggled inwardly.  Chastity would never pry, but she was dead sure that Dyrtbagg had to be a fake name.  Janet had explained her surname, but Dyrtbagg?  She shrugged, figuring Bruce would tell her when he felt it necessary.  It wasn’t like it was the only strange name attached to the office.  In searching through records, Chastity had come across some of the strangest names she’d ever heard.  The Windhail family was one of the less bizarre.  Sergio Vetanza was exotic, but not so bad.  But then she had come across clients like Tru Oenkogh, the Odibozol clan, and Elwood Yoggod.  At first she’d thought they were typographical errors.  But when she handed him the delinquency list, Bruce had not even blinked, which meant the odd names must be correct. Before she could ask about the strangeness, Chastity found herself calling a Mr. Yoggod to settle his bill. 

“Elwood’s Bail Bonds,” a cheerful voice responded after only two rings. 

“Mister, um, Yoggod?  Am I pronouncing that right?”

“Yes indeedy dear, but you can call me Elwood.  What can I do ya for?”  Chastity could hear him plop into a creaking chair.

“Mister – um, Elwood, this is Chastity with Dyrtbagg and Slutt.”

“Oh yes!  Good people, good people.  What can I help you with?”

“Actually sir, it’s what you can do for us.”  She took a breath to launch into a carefully prepared speech, but Elwood interrupted.

“Got someone needs taking care of?” he asked, his voice turning a bit sinister. 

“Um, no sir –“

“Need a leg broken, someone harassed?”  There was tapping from Elwood’s end – a keyboard?  “I’d think someone as big as Bruce could handle it himself, but everybody needs help sometimes.”

“No, sir, it’s your account,” Chastity fairly shouted.  Elwood stopped rambling and listened.  Chastity turned to her speech.  “I’m sorry to say that your account is three weeks past due.  You currently owe the office two hundred and thirteen dollars.” She took another breath to explain, but Elwood beat her to it.

“Oh,” he replied, sounding a bit deflated.  “Oh, dear, I’m sorry!  I get so busy, I get forgetful.”

“That’s okay, if you could –“

But he was off again.  “You guys are one of those accounts I like to take care of myself, see?  I don’t give your bill to my secretary.  Personal attention, you see.  But sometimes I get so busy with skips, I plain forget to settle up.”

“That’s okay, sir,” Chastity said quickly.  “Is there some time this week you could arrange payment?”

“Of course, of course,” Elwood answered, ruffling papers.  “Let me check my schedule...”

“Oh, you don’t have to come in person, sir,” Chastity assured him.  “We’re perfectly happy with a check, so long as I can tell Mr. Dyrtbagg when you’re mailing it.”

“I never use the mail,” Elwood retorted.  “Can never tell when some idiot mailman is going to lose my letter, and then where would we be?”

“That’s fine, sir,” Chastity interrupted, sensing another tirade.  “Someone will be in the office all week if you’d prefer to drop by.”

“It’s a date!” 

Chastity could hear the playfulness in his voice, but didn’t want to encourage a potentially eternal conversation.  “We’ll see you later this week, sir.  I look forward to meeting you.”

“And I you, dearie.”  Chastity hung up quickly, before he could regale her with undoubtedly epic stories.  Elwood sounded like a fine friend, but she had piles of work ahead of her.

Now it was four days later and Elwood hadn’t made an appearance.  She was considering if she should call him again, but Bruce had assured her yesterday that Elwood was no deadbeat.  Bruce advised her to wait at least one more day before bothering Elwood again.

“Chastity?” Janet called from the inner office.

Chastity leapt up and went to the door.  “Yes, ma’am?”

Janet smiled up from her desk.  “I told you, that makes me feel ancient.  Please, call me Janet.”  She turned back to her monitor.  “I can’t seem to access the Dilemed file.”

“Oh, that’s because I’ve got it pulled up out front.” Chastity turned to go back to her desk.  “Some of your records still aren’t set up for file sharing.  The conversion is taking a few days. Let me–“  She stopped short at the door and smiled brightly but fixedly.  “C-can I help you?”

The newcomer was standing just inside the outer door, looking expectant.  He was roughly the same size and height of a man, but his skin was a mottled green and grey, and looked very rough.  He stood about five-feet-four, had almost no neck, and was fairly stocky.  Chastity didn’t think he was fat, though; she got the impression that he was well-muscled under the denim jacket and jeans.  A black t-shirt that screamed “TROLL POWER NOW!” peeked out from under the jacket.  He was wearing a ball cap, but she could see short black hair peeking out from under the edges. 

He took off his cap and took one step forward, smiling white, jagged teeth at her.  Chastity restrained herself from taking a step back.  “Yes indeedy ma’am,” he told her.  Chastity blinked, recognizing his voice.  “I’m Elwood Yoggod, and I’m here to settle my account.”

Chastity blinked again.  That’s one heck of a skin condition, she thought.  She realized suddenly her smile had melted into her pity look, and reset it to charming.  She had learned long ago the value of different types of smiles. 

“Yes, of course, Mr. Yoggod,” Chastity replied as she walked to her desk.  She sat down and called up the file on her computer.  “Do you wish to make a partial payment?”  She looked up at Elwood, who was now standing over her desk. 

“Nah, I’ll take care of the whole thing now.  How much was it again?”  He reached into a jacket pocket.

Chastity looked back at the screen.  “Two hundred thirteen dollars, sir.  Will that be cash or check?”

Elwood laughed as Janet came to the door.  “Never touch the stuff, sweetie.  Janet, you still take troll gold, right?”  Chastity looked up in confusion as Janet smiled and nodded wordlessly.  Elwood brought a cloth pouch out of his jacket pocket.  He counted coins out of it onto the desk as he talked.  “Coins aren’t so bad, but I never trusted the paper stuff.  Paper burns, don’t they know that?  What’s the point in making money out of something that burns?  One match and there goes your whole treasure.”  Chastity’s eyes widened at the small stack of gold.  “And banks?  Honey, I got security ten times better than any bank.  Hell, I am security ten times better!”  Janet joined him in a laugh as he retied his pouch and put it away.  “That should do it.  Bruce knows where he can convert it to the paper stuff.”  He smiled patiently at Chastity.  “You still with us, hon?  You look a mite befuddled.”

Chastity stared at him, still processing his speech.  “Excuse me, but did you say ‘troll gold’?”  She picked up one of the coins.

“Yes indeedy, Miss Chastity.”  He leaned over the desk and waited for her to look him in the eye.  “I’m a troll.”

At his words, Chastity felt something click in her head.  Vague childhood memories flitted across her mind.  “You’re... a troll?” she repeated.  She saw Janet moving towards her out of the corner of her eye.

Elwood straightened and smiled almost as dazzlingly as Chastity.  “That’s right!”

Chastity blinked rapidly, thinking.  “Then if you’re real... fairies must be real too, right?”

Elwood’s eyes rose in surprise.  He glanced at Janet before answering.  “Yep, know a few personally.  They’re a pretty flighty bunch.”  He grinned; somewhere in the back of her mind, Chastity could hear a rim shot.

“Okay,” Chastity replied brightly, recovering.  “Janet, does this approximate Mr. Yoggod’s bill?”  She indicated the stack, looking up at Janet.

Janet looked very satisfied with herself.  “Yes, that’s actually more than enough.”      

“Interest,” Elwood answered.  “An apology for the lateness.  Or you could call it a generous tip for you lovely ladies.”  He spread his arms wide in a grandiose bow.  Chastity tittered; Janet stood and showed Elwood out.  As she closed the door behind him, she turned to Chastity.

“So,” she started, “Elwood didn’t startle you.”

Chastity had already returned to the day’s work.  “At first, yes,” she admitted.  Her voice dropped to a scandalous whisper.  “I thought he was a leper, the poor dear.”  She shook her head at herself.  “But he’s just a working schmo like the rest of us.  Interesting money he had...”

“But you do understand he’s not human,” Janet pressed, walking to the desk.

“Oh, yes of course!”  Chastity waved off Janet’s worry.  “He’s a good guy just like you and Bruce, he just looks different.”  She stopped suddenly, lost in thought.

To say Janet was surprised by Chastity’s reaction was an understatement.  Janet was immensely pleased, but hadn’t expected Chastity to accept the office weirdness so completely in her first week.  She became intrigued by the pensive look on Chastity’s face.  “What is it?”

“I was just wondering...” She shook her head and went back to her work.

“What?”  Janet leaned forward conspiratorially.

“Just what does he eat?”  She giggled and shook her head again.  “Silly, I know.  But does he eat cats, like the stories say?”  She giggled again, embarrassed by her curiosity.

Janet, struck dumb, had no answer but a grin.

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Re: Dyrtbagg & Slutt, PIs ch. 2
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 1:21am
Print Post  
She was saved by a knock at the door.  You’ll fit right in here, Chastity, she sent.  Chastity’s head snapped up at the wordless but warm happiness, then she looked around and smiled beatifically at Janet and went back to work.  Janet smiled to herself and answered the door.  “Tammy!  Hi!”  She hugged the dark-skinned redhead and led her in.  “We haven’t seen you in a dog’s age!  How are you doing?”

“Not bad, not bad,” Tammy answered, setting her briefcase down so she could pour a cup of coffee.

“Let me get that for you, miss,” Chastity yelped, hurrying over.  It would not do to have clients serving themselves.

Tammy waved her off.  “It’s no problem, I’m the only one I trust when it comes to coffee.”  Chastity glanced at Janet, who nodded.  “I’m Tammy Misher, by the way.  Nice to meet you.”  She shook Chastity’s hand.  Chastity went back to her desk, the incident forgotten, and went back to work.  “So Janet, how’s business treating you?”  Tammy recovered her briefcase and stepped into the office. 

Janet was about to follow Tammy, but Chastity waved her over.  Chastity kept waving until Janet was leaning down closely.  “What is it, Chastity?”

“Is she... you know... human?”

Janet choked on barely-controlled laughter.  “Yes, she’s completely human.”  She straightened and started to walk away, but couldn’t resist one last jab.  “She’s an assistant ME – she works in the morgue, with dead bodies.” 

Chastity was left staring at the hand Tammy had shaken as Janet went to her office.  She must wash her hands more than the rest of us, she decided, and opened a folder.

“So, Tammy,” she heard Janet say as she closed the inner door, “what’s up with this case you were telling me about last night?”

Angie lounged on the overstuffed black couch.  The dizziness had passed; now she just felt the incredible softness of the black velvet.  She wasn’t too sure of the lights flashing overhead, and the music had grown quite a bit louder; but so far, her first ecstasy trip was everything Mario had said it would be.  She beamed to herself and ran her fingers over the soft couch.

“Hey, y’ okay, babe?” Angie looked up at Mario.  He was standing over her, flannel open to a plain gray shirt.  The vodka was clearly taking its toll; his shouts were slurring over the pounding beat.  “Y’ ready to come on out, Angie?”  He grinned and held out a hand.  “’S no fun wi’out you.”  Still beaming, she allowed Mario to help her up and out to the dance floor.  Angie was bouncing to the loud throb even before they stepped onto the polished wood.  Her long brown hair floated around her as they thrashed in place.  Neither was really dancing, not like the couples around them.  Eyes closed, Angie and Mario moved in time with the beat and each other, ecstatically lost in their drug-induced haze. 

The song changed to a slow ballad, and the couple opened their eyes in confusion.  “Freakin’ buzz-kill,” Mario muttered, and led Angie, still bouncing, back to the couches.  Angie’s spot had been taken by two glassy-eyed blondes.  “Hey!  Get up – we were here first!”  He let go of Angie’s arm to force the girls up, but their stare stopped him.  They were smiling, but their eyes reflected back at him.  Mario wasn’t so drunk that he didn’t recognize that look.  Girls smitten with him had looked at him that way in the past.  What he didn’t understand was why the mindless stare unnerved him.

“Ah, I see we’ve got more guests,” a deep, silky voice boomed.  Mario and Angie turned to the newcomer.  He was thin, not too tall, very blonde, and had a smile that put her at ease. He was easily the most beautiful man Angie had ever seen, bar none. She pulled away from Mario to face the stranger.

“Who are you?” she asked breathily, ignoring Mario’s protests.  “Where have you been that we’ve never met?”  Angie drifted towards him, and her hand came up to touch his.

“Hey!” Mario repeated, but Angie didn’t seem to hear him.  The blonde unnerved him even more than the girls on the couch.  The girls were damn near catatonic; the guy, though, seemed to be in complete control.  “Get your hands off my girl!”  The stranger turned his smile to Mario; Mario’s blood ran cold.  He smiled at Angie like some kind of messiah, but there was something evil in those eyes.  “Who – who are you?” 

“That doesn’t matter,” the stranger finally answered, but he was looking at Angie again.  He reached up and gently stroked Angie’s cheek.  Mario wanted to cross the two steps and knock the guy’s head off, but something kept him rooted to the spot.  “You’re a very special girl.  Would you like to join me?”  Angie nodded dreamily.  The blonde took her arm and they turned to leave.

Mario seethed but he couldn’t move, couldn’t even bend his legs to sit – but his voice still worked.  “Angie, you get back here right now!   You, jackass, let her go or lose a crappity smackin’ hand!”

Angie and the stranger slowly turned back to Mario as one.  Angie’s eyes had turned as glassy as the pair on the couch.  The stranger at first glared, then slowly smiled at Mario.  His eyes glinted amber.  Mario’s voice caught in his throat; his feet were still stuck to the floor.  He watched his girlfriend leave with the jackass.

Thrilled that the blonde god had chosen her, Angie followed him willingly into the soundproofed room.  He motioned her to a chair, and moved another so he could sit behind her but facing her.  She sat, hands folded and trembling in anticipation.  Moments later, she felt a slight breeze as he sat and placed his long fingers lightly on her shoulders.

“Do you know why you’re special?” he murmured into her ear as he started rubbing her shoulders.  Angie shook her head mutely as her eyes dropped closed.  Lights danced behind her eyes and her shoulders grew hot from his skillful touch.  “You’re not the first, not by any means,” he told her, “but you’re one of the most beautiful, and definitely the most willing.”  She felt her muscles relaxing even more than the ex had done for her.  Her body felt light and cool, except for the warm spots on her shoulders.  She was sleepy; her eyes wouldn’t open.  “Your boyfriend is strong in body but rather dim-witted.  I’ll enjoy repaying his insolence.  You, however...” 

Angie relaxed deeper into the chair, slumping slightly.  She was so exhausted that she couldn’t move her hands from the armrests.  The hot spots on her shoulders grew hotter as her body grew lighter. Belatedly, alarms went off in her mind. She screamed but it came out as only a protesting whimper.  Too late, she felt herself slipping completely away. 

“That’s it,” he whispered to her.  No longer charming, he was instead excited, harsh.  “You’re mine, Angie, now and forever.”  Her last thought before she lost herself was, how did he know my name??

He stood over her, leaning down as she slid into the chair.  He kept contact after he heard her thought die away, intent on completely draining her of energy.  Before, he wouldn’t have gone to these lengths.  If there were a few trickles left, he’d leave them for scavengers – there always seemed to be a few hovering around.  But now he needed every precious drop.  The rite, and the items he needed for it, required vast amounts of energy.  He’d had to step up his hunts because of it, too, killing at least once a week instead of once or twice a month.  He closed his eyes briefly and dug his fingertips into her neck, siphoning the last dregs.   For a moment after he let go, he stood still, reveling in the intense, raw power of the young.  There was a faint stirring in his groin, and his hands glowed gold in the dim light.

The blonde shook himself like a dog, pulling the last bits of energy into his store, and came around to the front of the chair.  The girl was just so much meat now; the drain wrinkled her only slightly, but he had never found her physically attractive.  Intercourse was beneath him, a petty concern of the unenlightened.  Her aura, pulsing with energy amplified by the drugs, had been his sole interest.  His mouth turned up in faint disgust, he pulled the meat out of the chair and dumped it in a dark corner of the room, to be collected later.  He had an associate who had a distinct taste for meat; maybe a trade could be arranged.

Arranging his features back into the charmer, the stranger exited the room only to be accosted by the meat’s boyfriend.  Yelling about Angie, the cretin took two steps forward, but the blonde lashed out with his mind, mentally snaring him.  Mario stopped in mid-lunge, his face suddenly blank.  The blonde fed him a telepathic suggestion, and in his drunken state, Mario was ill-equipped to fight him off.  By inches, his body relaxed along with his face.  Seconds later, Mario was as glassy-eyed as the pair on the couch now sleeping off their stupor. 

“Now,” the blonde commanded, his voice thick as honey, “there is much to do, Mario.  I have work for you.”

Mario smiled dreamily.  “Anything you wish, master.”

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Dyrtbagg slumped down in his car seat to avoid being seen.  Car headlights flooded the windshield over his head, moving slowly past him.  He waited a few moments after the night’s dark resumed before sitting back up.  The house in front of him was still quiet, shades drawn, but the porch light was on.  Bruce could sense the owner inside the house, but he was alone.  His mistress had yet to arrive.  The guy was worried, upset.  He was anticipating his girlfriend but dreading her at the same time.  Bruce wondered if maybe the guy was regretting the relationship that had caused the divorce.  “Too late, buddy,” he muttered to himself as he reached blindly for his soda.  “Get a girl pregnant, this is what happens.”  Bruce felt his camera again, checking to make sure the lens cap was off and the flash ready to charge.  It had a quick charge, so he didn’t need to run down the battery leaving it on.  And as tightly-wired as this guy was, whatever happened when his mistress arrived would be quick.

Bruce settled back to wait, shifting in his seat.  Few things were more boring than stakeout, except maybe patrol.  On patrol, you sometimes got to talk to a few people (and some of those who weren’t people), but you mostly had to keep to yourself.  On stakeout, all you got to do was watch.  He had a portable stereo and plenty of CDs with him to pass the time, but he found he didn’t want to listen to any of them.  Bruce had turned on an older Metallica to help him stay awake, but wasn’t really paying attention to it.  He had his empathic senses turned completely on the target, so there was no chance he’d miss anything, but his mind was elsewhere.

Tammy had surprised them that afternoon by showing up after a few months of no contact asking for help.  The lack of contact hadn’t been deliberate; she and Janet had been slowly drifting apart ever since they both left school.  Tammy had a drive and ambition that Janet was happy to do without.  She had been hired on at the examiner’s office right out of college as a lab assistant, and moved quickly up the ranks.  Bruce knew if she kept it up, she’d make county coroner within the next five years.  She had the brains to back it up, too – top of her class throughout high school, and then in college.  She and Janet had been roommates first, then best friends.  But the career mindset tended to leave friends in the dust.  Janet had been happy to become a detective for not much money, as long as she was helping people; Tammy pushed herself further and faster than anyone Bruce had ever known.  He didn’t know Tammy as well as Janet, but he wondered if Tammy wasn’t trying to overcome family history.

Bruce thought over their meeting at the office earlier that day.  Tammy had apparently called Janet the evening before, saying she had a case that needed their expertise, but wanted to discuss it in person.   She was already there when Bruce arrived, back from chasing a lead.

“Tammy!  How the hell are you?” he greeted her as he sat down at his desk.  Tammy was sitting next to Janet.

“As well as can be,” she answered, shaking Bruce’s outstretched hand.  “We’ve been catching up, sounds like you guys aren’t doing too bad either.  The Windhails owe you a favor, Janet tells me?”

“Yeah, Avi’s son,” Bruce agreed as he picked up a pencil and twirled it in his fingers.  “That kid sent us on a wild goose chase all over the city before we tracked him down.  Turns out he’d just got tired of his dad’s politics and ran off as a protest.”  Bruce laughed to himself.  “His dad was so grateful Mhora was okay, he decided not to punish the kid!”  Janet and Tammy joined him in another laugh.  “Now,” Bruce continued, “tell us about these bodies.”

Tammy laid a thick folder on his desk.  “There’s been four that I can tell.  I noticed the first one because of the complete drain.  Not even a residue left.”  Bruce looked through the autopsies as she narrated.  “Then there’s the unusual marks around the neck of three of them.  We can’t identify them.  None of the other examiners will admit that, mind you, but they don’t match anything I know.”

Janet pointed out the “cause of death” on the sheet Bruce was looking at.  “Massive heart failure – that’s what they all say, don’t they?”

Tammy nodded.  “That’s what got me suspicious.  I checked.  The first three were homeless and didn’t have recent medical records, but the other was healthy, young.  Not one had a history of heart problems of any kind.”

“Drugs?” Bruce asked, looking up.  He sensed it before she said it.

“Nothing in the toxicology reports.  So of course more tests were ordered, full workups... nothing.  We can’t find a damn thing.”  Tammy sighed and leaned back.  “As far as I can tell, these girls should all be alive.  The only reason the autopsies were even ordered was because of the marks.  Hell, I can’t even call them lesions, since the skin is perfectly smooth.  No indentation at all.”  She reached up and pulled out a picture.  It was of one of the dead girls’ necks.  Bruce and Janet studied it as Tammy continued.  “They look more like stains, but they don’t go more than one epidermis layer down, so they can’t be stains – stains soak in deeper than that, at least a few layers down.  And you see here...”  She pointed to the reddish marks.  “They vary slightly in shape and placement, but they’re all roughly circular, and almost exactly the same size.”  Tammy rubbed her eyes as Bruce picked up the picture.  “It’s not something you can scrape off, so it wasn’t placed on her skin.  More like a brand, maybe?”   Tammy waved a hand ambiguously.  “One of the doctors thought it might have been a necklace that stained her, but the same necklace on all three?  And again, the color would have soaked in further.”  She sighed again.  “So that’s why I called you guys.  There’s something not right here.” 

Janet was looking at one of the autopsies.  “Any ideas, Bruce?”  She had already decided to do something.  She wasn’t broadcasting, but Bruce could feel the righteous indignation swelling.

Bruce put down the picture and met her gaze.  “One or two.  But I’d rather not say until I talk to a friend of mine.”  He turned to Tammy.  “I’ve got another case to finish up, one more night, then we’ll see what we can find out.”

Tammy rubbed her head.  “I don’t have a whole lot of money, but –“

“That’s okay,” Janet assured her.  “This is what we do, and there are provisions for cases like these.”  Bruce stifled a groan.  He wasn’t worried about the money; they had a good-sized nest egg to fall back on.  It was the gushing of a telepath he found hard to take.  I’ll get you for that later, Brucey boy. 

Tammy sighed again, this time in obvious relief.  “Thanks, guys.  I’m just a sensitive – I don’t have near the experience you two do with this kind of thing.”  She stood to go.  “You can hang onto that file, just get it back to me when it’s all over.”

“You got it,” Janet agreed, rising to see Tammy out.  “We’ll get together next week, okay?” 

Bruce heard them leave, but didn’t look up.  He stared at the picture of one of the dead girls.  There was something distantly familiar about those marks, but he couldn’t place it.  He shook off the feeling, trusting his memory to spit up the specifics later.

Now, crouching in his car over his camera, he thought about those red spots.  He had done some preliminary checking before setting out that evening, but nothing in his files matched them.  There was a note some years back about some bluish lesions on a body, back when he was still on the force.  That had been the work of a larva – a parasitic spirit.  Larvae tended to be mindless foragers, taking whatever scraps of energy they could find.  They almost never killed, but this one had become bold enough to feed on the dying at a hospital, and had accidentally finished off its meal.  Once Bruce had identified the problem, it had been a simple matter to get rid of the parasite.

But this was different.  Parasitic larva usually left no physical trace, making them largely undetectable.  The blue lesions had been a rarity.  So what – or who – was stupid or careless enough to mark its victims this way?

Bruce left his thoughts behind as he leaned forward; the mistress had arrived.  Finally, he thought.  He raised his camera to his eyes as the deadbeat came to the door, and snapped a few quick pictures of them embracing.  The deadbeat hurried his girlfriend into the house, but not before she turned Bruce’s way.  She was pretty, red curls framing a smiling face.  Bruce shook his head, wondering for the millionth time why women went for jerks like him.  Once they were inside, he slipped out of his car.  Camera down at his side, he walked casually along the sidewalk until he was at the house, then crept up to the window closest to the couple.  Just a few shots of them together and he’d be done.  And then we can concentrate on the bodies, his mind whispered.  Dread shivered down his spine.  Thought I left this kind of crap behind when I left the force...

YIM  
IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Janet looked up at the small white house.  It was the proverbial white picket fence, two-point-five kids and a dog starter house that belonged to most small families in this area.  There were small yellow flowers lining the short walk up to the door, and the lawn was neatly trimmed.  The house itself had a recent paint job, and the shutters were yellow to match the flowers.  The small concrete porch had a two-person bench and a potted geranium.  Looking at the cozy bungalow, you’d never know a daughter had died recently.
Janet walked up to the door and knocked.  For a moment there was nothing, then she heard movement inside.  She knocked again. 

“Yes, who is it?” a woman’s voice called tremulously.

“My name is Janet Slutt.  We spoke on the phone.  I need to talk to you about your daughter.” 

The white lace curtain in the tall narrow window left of the door flickered, but Janet couldn’t see past it.  A lock rattled inside the house, and the door opened a few inches, barred by a chain.  A worried redhead clutching a towel peered out.  “What do you want?” she snapped.

Janet smiled as pleasantly as she could.  Even without her ability, she could sense the hate and suspicion the woman radiated.  “I need to ask you a few questions about your daughter, Teresa.”

“I told you, the police already did all that!”  Mrs. Baker started to close the door, but Janet slapped her hand up to stop it.  “Go away!” the woman begged.  She was trying to hide it, but Janet could tell she was trying to not cry.

“Please, Mrs. Baker, this will only take a few minutes.”  Janet broadcasted calm and trust, but Mrs. Baker didn’t relax.  “I believe your daughter was killed, and I’d like to find the person responsible.”

Mrs. Baker gasped and her eyes widened.  Janet let her close the door enough to remove the chain, then it opened wide.  “You believe me?” she cried.  “The police wouldn’t believe that Teresa didn’t run away, that she wasn’t a junkie.  Please, please come in,” she added, ushering Janet in.  “Teresa was a good girl.  I know she liked to have her fun, but she never touched drugs.”  Mrs. Baker motioned Janet to a chair and bustled off for coffee.

Janet sat delicately in an old armchair that looked old enough to be her great-grandmother’s.  The room was simply but elegantly furnished.  The decor reminded Janet of her mother’s house, where everything was very beautiful and very expensive.  “Look but don’t touch” had been the watchword growing up.  The energy in the whole house felt positive, but with an undercurrent of tension, like false bravado.  Teresa must have been uncomfortable in this room; Janet started to wonder if she hadn’t run away after all.

“Forgive my brusqueness at the door,” Mrs. Baker said as she hurried in with a tray of mugs and small cookies.  “The police have just been so mean to me, saying Teresa ran away and hooked up with her druggie friends!”  She sat on the couch opposite Janet and picked up a cookie.  Janet blew on her coffee but didn’t drink.  “Ms. Slutt, I promise you, Teresa was not like that – she was a good girl!”  She sighed dramatically, nibbling on her cookie.  “Teresa was studying to be a nurse.  Can you think of a more noble goal?  Except private investigations, of course,” she added hurriedly.  Janet smiled diplomatically.  “But what did you need to know?  You said you’ve seen the police’s file, what else is there?”

Janet set down her mug.  “Did you know many of Teresa’s friends, Mrs. Baker?”

“Oh, yes, all of them!”  Mrs. Baker gestured grandly with her cookie, spraying crumbs.  “My husband Walter and I insist on knowing all of Teresa’s friends.  Teresa’s such a trusting person, she would fall in with bad people if we didn’t look out for her.”

Janet only smiled.  A surface scan of Mrs. Baker’s mind showed that the woman was telling the truth, but her idea of “bad people” was very different that most people’s.  Janet felt sure that Mrs. Baker didn’t know about Teresa’s true friends.

“Might I take a look at Janet’s room?”

“Of course, it’s upstairs.”  The two women rose, and Janet followed Mrs. Baker to the first door on the second floor.  “In here.”  Mrs. Baker’s hand shook as she opened the door.  “I – I hope you don’t mind, but I have dishes...”  She walked quickly, almost tripping in her hurry to get away from her dead daughter’s room.

Janet took a breath and lowered her shields the tiniest bit as she stepped into the room.  Teresa’s imprint was definitely here: there was lingering energy at the desk where her computer still sat, on the chest that held her jewelry, and more powerfully on the bed.  Posters on the wall glowed very faintly pink, and the closet door pulsed gently.  The energy traces were already dissipating; within a week, Janet estimated, they’d be gone.  She sat slowly on the bed, touching a crystal hanging under her shirt, and opened her mind.  “Talk to me,” she whispered, and let her eyes drift shut.

For a long moment, there was nothing but the mental thrum of energy.  The room was still, refusing to give up its secrets.  Janet probed gently, making her intentions known.  She waited another beat, and the energy moved to surround her.  Different colors of glowing energy permeated her aura, drawn to her like a moth to a porch light.   She felt minute traces of Teresa in the glow.  Teresa had been happy here with her parents, but anxious to move on.  Nursing was supposed to have been her way out.  She wasn’t the person her parents believed, she was tired of being the good girl.  There was no sense of linear time; Janet couldn’t pick out what had happened when, but a name appeared in her mind: Red Talon. 

Janet opened her eyes and shook herself.  She’d heard that name before – it was an underground club downtown.  Very underground: nine-tenths of the city didn’t know it, or its kind of patron, existed.  Janet stood and stretched, more confused than ever.  She looked around the room once again, this time using not her gifts but her instincts as a detective. 

The posters on the wall were of metal bands – some local, some not.  Janet recognized some of them as death metal.  The walls were painted the same white as the rest of the house, but dark purple or black curtains had been hung over the windows, and the same material draped the wall over Teresa’s bed.  The desk was wood, but it too had been painted black.  Janet fingered the keyboard, but the CPU was gone – taken by the police.  All the drawers had been emptied, as had the drawers in Teresa’s nightstand table.  “So much for an address book,” Janet sighed.  She hadn’t really expected to find one, but a little help was always nice in these cases. 

Janet walked over to the closet and slid the door open.  Nearly all of Teresa’s clothing was black, but it was all well-cared for.  Janet didn’t expect to find anything here either, but was surprised when her eyes slid over the same spot in the back wall twice.  Concentrating, she spotted a false panel set into the back wall.  It didn’t appear to have been moved lately; it was concealed with a simple spell to make it invisible to the naked eye.  With a quiet phrase and a gesture, Janet reversed the spell, and saw the edges of the panel.  She searched her pockets and came up with a metal nail file.  Kneeling down, Janet worked the file slowly into the cracks and pried the panel loose.  It was a near-perfect fit into the wall.  She set the panel aside and peered into the hole.  The overhead light barely reached inside, so she pulled out her penlight and flicked it on.

The light sparkled off a small red gem.  Janet carefully reached inside, wary of loose nails or mice.  She came out with a gold ring, set with rubies and diamonds.  Sitting back on her heels, Janet examined the ring.  She was no expert, but the stones looked real.  There was another impression in the metal, darker.  Janet turned her senses on the ring, and got a mental picture of a robbery.  Teresa had not been involved, but suspected it and refused to wear the ring.  At the same time, Teresa didn’t want to implicate any of her friends, some of whom had been involved.  So she’d hid the ring instead. 

Pocketing the ring, Janet turned her attention back to the wall.  The concealment spell had been simple but well-constructed.  Janet stretched a hand out and almost immediately came up against a tingling sense of dark blue shot through with grey.  “Curioser and curioser,” she murmured.  The energy signature she’d sensed in most of the bedroom had been bright red, with some pink mixed in: Teresa.  This was nothing like that.

Janet closed the door just as Mrs. Baker was climbing the steps.  “Did you find anything?” the woman asked, worry etching lines in her cheeks.

Janet smiled apologetically.  “Not much, I’m afraid.  If I learn anything new, I’ll certainly be in touch.”  She made her excuses and left before Mrs. Baker could press her further.

Her car was started and headed back to the highway before Janet reached into her pocket for the stolen jewelry.  She brought it out and looked at it in the light.  “Now just who hid you,” she asked it, “and why?”

end ch. 2

...and that's all I've got so far. Will post more as it's written.

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint