Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic (household) M - Moving (Read 381 times)
Crystal Raven

Over the Hedge and Back
Again!

(household) M - Moving
Jul 12th, 2006 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Seeing as we have a few people moving round here I thought this would be a good place to start!!!
Moving can be horrendous for even the most light hearted of us, so here we go!!!

Packing:

When packing boxes try to keep each room in their own seperate boxes and label them on the sides of the boxes NOT the top as, chances are, they will be stacked ontop of one another.

If you have multiple beds, dressers or furniture that you want somewhere specificly that may not be clear, label those too.

Also try to keep breakables in their own boxes and label them as such, even if you have to combine a room or two like the living room and dining room, its much easier to keep an eye on, or give special instructions for, a few boxes as opposed to every box. Dry popcorn works great as padding and so does newspaper or brown craft paper.

If you have any extremely heavy boxes, mark them as heavy so someone doesn't throw their back out.

When packing papers, try to do so by year, and mark its year on the box as well.

When packing books have the spines down flat on the bottom and don't use big boxes, books get heavy quick!

Make sure cords are twist tied up and even taped onto what they belong to.

If you decide to pack clothes, towels, blankets etc in garbage bags, tie a different colour ribbon round each to delegate whos is whos or where it goes.

Be sure to have a Last Minute Box left for things like the tape, markers, converters etc that are always last, and usually needed first.

If your not using professional movers, and if possible, move all the items you can (especially the heavier items like beds, dressers, washers, dryers etc) to the main floor.

Leave existing bedding til almost last and literally pack the bedding you are using into a bag the morning of the move, tie with red ribbon (as well as the persons colour if necessary) so you know what it is and can easily locate bedding after a long hard day!!

Make sure to have a Moving Day Box to take with you on the first trip:
Toilet Paper
Pen
Paper
new keys if they aren't already on your ring
paper towel
kleenex
a phone
some plastic cups for drinks
kettle/coffee pot
coffee mugs
spoon
any fixings for coffee, tea or juice
snacks
a few toys if there are children involved
any magickal supplies needed for cleansing/blessings (will be discussed in a moment)

Before the Move:

Make sure if booking a truck or movers to do so at least 1 month in advance to get the day you want.
Notify phone and utility companies 2 weeks before hand.
Also notify schools, doctors, employers and banks.
Be sure to put a change of address in at the post office at least 1 week before.
*tip for the phone company
Have your existing line disconnected the day after the move date and
the new line connected the day before the move date so that on moving day there is a working phone at both locations and you can communicate with people at the other end if necessary

New House Cleansing & Blessing:

This should ideally be done the day before the move, but of course that isn't always possible, the morning of the move before the movers arrive etc is also good, but worst case scenerio this can be done once your stuff is in and your somewhat settled aka not tripping over boxes!

The first items to be brought into the home should be bread, so you never go hungry, salt for prosperity and a large object, like a chair, that cannot be blown away, for stability.
I also bring my magickal broom (never move a mundane broom from one house to the other, it brings the old "dirt" and is unlucky), a smudge stick or incense and container for such, a bowl of spring or moon charged water, salt, a candle, some annointing oil, a bell and a tray to carry it all around on.
Starting on the top floor, in the most nrothern room and working clockwise in each room and round the house do the following:
Open all the windows
ring the bell to still up any unwanted energies
symbolicly sweep all the old energy out the windows
smudge the room
sprinkle saltwater in each corner
carry the candle round the perimeter 3 times

A good chant for this could be
May this bell stir energies near,
And this broom sweep them clear.
By the powers of Fire and Air,
May all new energies be warm and fair.
And with the powers of Water and Earth,
May the Spirits bring good things to this hearth.

Annoint the window and door sills with a pentagram or any other symbol you find meaningful and as you do so say a simple prayer like "May the Good Spirits bless and proctect this home and all within."

One final thing I like to do is to allow my House Guardian (who is housed in a statue) to get the feel of the new place. To do this I simply carry him from room to room, again staring in the upper north and going clockwise, throughout the entire house. I will then set up our House Guardian Altar (see household H-House Guardian) and place him on it.

A good alternative is to sit yourself in the center of the house, breath and relax and take your own mental tour of the new home. Be sure to be aware of any feelings you may experience as you go through each room and re-cleanse if necessary.

Moving Day:

Be sure to have your Moving Day Box with you!

In the new home, using simple sheets of paper and tape, label each room so movers know what goes where.

Young children should be either left with a sitter or be in an unbusy area with an adult dedicated to their supervision and nothing else.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2006 at 1:47pm by Crystal Raven »  

&&Steal my avatar or sig and I will report hex you!!!&&&&*There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.*
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint