Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Bragging thread.. (Read 23606 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Bragging thread..
Reply #100 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 4:00am
Print Post  
I am officially stunned.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
We took the youngins -- Miss Maggie and His Little Lordship -- in for their shots. Things did not go smoothly but it wasn't necessary to go to the ER and I should heal up in a few days. I didn't get to ask about the virus since I was bleeding at the time and trying to assist in restraining a couple of alarmed cats but we get to do it all again on the 29th and July 5th   Smiley so I can ask then....

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Maggie just had to POOP in the kitty carrier. The smell was atrocious. Mom and Dad were contemplating murder. I kinda wished Maggie peed in the carrier. It's much easier to deal with than semi-solid waste. Smiley

Cleaning house with the Dustbuster2!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #103 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 12:11am
Print Post  
For such a little bitty cat, Miss Maggie can sure stink up a place.....

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #104 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Poor Cleo got spayed two days ago.... but she's back to her usual ornery self.  She weighs 27# already!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #105 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
FuryRising wrote on Jun 15th, 2007 at 6:41pm:
Poor Cleo got spayed two days ago.... but she's back to her usual ornery self.  She weighs 27# already!
I'm glad that Cleo is doing well.  Nike has told me that having a Labrador is like having a perpetual 2 year old. For the record, her mom has a Jack Russell terrier.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #106 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
*sigh* Two years ago today, we brought Sebastian home. He was such a little character. He loved to bite - especially my nose -- and we all miss him, especially Skywise. I really wish that he and Sassy could be here "in body" to play with the Lord of Samhain. With the War Queen in the lead, they would rule the neighborhood. Bast bless and keep you, Vampire Cat...  Cry

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #107 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Thanks be to Bast! The Lord of Samhain decided to take a walk and the girls were approaching apocalyptic meltdown with worry about him. I can't blame them. I worry about the little hairball too but he has returned from his stroll and is now safely in the house. The girls have their pizza and Mom won't have to contend with the aforementioned meltdown.

PRAISE BAST!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2007 at 4:17am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #108 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
The distinct disadvantage of having the War Queen, or any of the cats for that matter, sleeping next to the top of my head is waking up the next day with cat hair on my face, in my eyes, in my ears and in my nose! AND IT TICKLE/ITCHES LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!!
That, and flexing her claws in my scalp while she's sleeping.... ouchie......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #109 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 2:55am
Print Post  
The Queens got their booster shots last Friday and the other two go in tomorrow which is a good thing, I'm thinking. Despite never going into heat -- that we noticed -- Miss Maggie is looking suspiciously pudgy. Now that could be the result of "good eats" and she's just put on some weight finally or it could be that she's in "a family way."  Right now, she looks and feels like she's swallowed an orange whole. We will consult with the vet on the morrow and I'll let you know what he says.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2007 at 2:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #110 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Well, we're back. Maggie isn't expecting. She does, however, have worms. Which we discovered when she pooped in her carrier again. *sigh* The next time we take her anywhere I'm going to line her kitty carrier with a "puppy pad" instead of a towel!!  She and the Lord of Samhain were wormed at the vet's office in addition to the booster shot that was the reason for the trip. Then we came home and while I dumped 7 litter boxes full of kitty litter, Skywise cleaned up Miss Maggie (in the bathtub with soap and water) who was still a bit of a mess. She didn't appreciate his efforts. Then her carrier and all the litter boxes had to be scrubbed out and refilled. Then we went back into town to get more kitty litter. We will have to "check" her for worms in about a month. Oh! And we had to dose the Queens when we got home..... I won't need stitches.
All in all, it has been a lovely day.....  Smiley

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #111 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
How can you kennel train a dog... who does exactly what they are NOT supposed to do in their kennel?!  (IE, potty)  I don't get it.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #112 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
'Fraid I can't help you there. The last dog I had was housebroken when we got him -- except for his habit of pooping on my cousin's pillow. He REALLY didn't like her -- so I have no experience with kennel training. Maybe someone else can help.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #113 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 6:51am
Print Post  
FuryRising wrote on Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:31pm:
How can you kennel train a dog... who does exactly what they are NOT supposed to do in their kennel?!  (IE, potty)  I don't get it.....

Most likely you are using a crate that is too big. There should JUST be enough room for her to turn around and lie down in. If the crate is too big, you can use something to block off the excess space until she grows to fit. The reason for using a smaller space is that dogs , like people, do not really like sleeping in there excrement, and thus they are discouraged from having accidents in the crate while they are being crate trained by only having enough room to sleep in, and not enough room to use a corner or side as a potty. Later on, you can give her more room, after she "gets" the potty thing. Also, in animals less than a year old, or those who were feral or rescued, you have to be diligent about letting them out often enough. Most dogs need to go out ten to thirty minutes after they consume anything. They will usually become accustomed to a schedule fairly quickly IF YOU ARE CONSISTENT, and then the periods can become longer between outings. Just like babies, they are learning to control muscles that they never knew were there, and they don't have good control over. It takes some time. Another thing that helps is to always praise your pup when they do their business where you wanted them to--namely, outside. If they do make a mistake, you have to catch them right away or they won't associate your unpleasantness with their elimination accident. Later on, like a year or so down the road, they may make the association between yelling human and excrement inside the house, but for now, if you don't catch them within ten seconds or so of the act, they will only be confused and a bit nervous, since they don't remember the offense as having happened/being bad.

My personal opinion is that puppy pads put down for accidents are just confusing, as they are impregnated with an odor that smells like excrement to them, but is nearly odorless to us. In other words, we get upset if they go in the house, but leave this scent around that says "go here" loud and clear. Plain newspaper on a flattened trash bag in front of the door works just fine, and doesn't carry mixed messages, if you feel the need to use a pad of some sort. Crate training consistency should eliminate the need for such though, unless you go out of town and someone comes in to walk them occasionally.

To a dog, a crate is their own personal "den" and should be kept as such. In other words, a crate isn't "jail" for a naughty pet, it's their retreat from humans and sensory overload. They should not eat or drink in a crate, nor should they be "locked in" when the humans are around to interact. That just makes a fearful and nervous pet who can be unpredictable. Certainly, the dog should be closed in when you leave, but not all day....until and unless you have had time to complete crate and potty training, so they know they aren't being abandoned or punished. The crate should be home, not prison.

OK, I probably sounded a bit pompous. Sorry. There is a real system and theory behind crate training a dog, and it is to accord with the dog's natural instincts and way of life in the wild. Basically, a pet dog must be the beta animal in the pack, which consists of your human family members, and then the animal ones. A pet who is raised to believe they are the alpha animal in their pack will be a problem to live with, and on occasion, be dangerous to strangers and family alike. This is most clearly seen in how the stereotypical chihuahua or toy poodle acts...demanding, jealous, sneaky, spiteful, and annoying...in some cases actually attacking not only strangers to the home, but their owners as well when they do not get "first dibs" at what they want.

So I'm not trying to be a jerk, I really am trying to help you with the issue and let you know a bit about the why and why not of it.

Best of luck! Raising a pup is like raising a child--at high speed and with extreme watchfulness!

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #114 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Grin

It's ok, no worries.

We have a partitioned kennel - she is partitioned into a small part that is only large enough for her to turn around in. Which means, when she does this.... she also lays in it.

She is also let out at least every 4 hours - I come home on my lunch break to let her out - and more often than that in the evenings.   (I spent the entire lunch period a few days ago cleaning up her kennel and giving her a bath.... not fun.)

We actually realized that she started doing this after she was spayed.... so I'm not sure if the two are somehow connected.  And, she seems to go after she's been taken outside and given ample opportunity to go "properly" (outside!!!!).

We don't use puppy pads... as I feel pretty much the same way. It's confusing to be able to go inside... and then have that taken away.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on.  The vet thinks she may be upset about her "change" - but that was almost 3 weeks ago (I think) and shouldn't be it.  She gets the same amount of attention that she always has, and we haven't changed that part of her routine.  She was already doing this prior to us adding a cat to the household, so I don't think that's the cause, though I suppose it could be a contributing factor......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #115 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 4:52am
Print Post  
*sigh* The War Queen had our entire Queen sized bed to chose her napping spot from. So what place did she choose? The pile of clean shirts that were waiting for me to hang them up, of course. White dress shirts + black cat hair = aggravation. It is a good thing Skywise really, REALLY loves the War Queen.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #116 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Things got lively here about 15 minutes ago. We heard an odd noise. Moonie went to investigate and yelled back that the Hearth Queen had a weasel!  We looked and sure enough, she did. And she smelled like it too! *sigh* First we got her corralled and in the house and then we got the little weasel under control. The little thing was scared to death and not inclined to cooperate with our efforts to get it away from the house! We -- Skywise actually, I was serving as observer. -- got it into a trash can. He slapped the lid on and took it out into the woods and released it.
I hope we don't have to give the Queen a bath. She's kinda stinky at the moment.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #117 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
A year ago today, we went to the State Fair. As we rounded the last corner just north of our driveways coming home, we saw something at the edge of the road. It was a tiny cat. Skywise slowed down and noticed that the cat seemed too weak to jump out of the way. He parked the car and went out to the road to investigate. As soon as I had gotten the house unlocked and dumped my purse and "Fair loot" in the house, I joined him. I found him at the northern edge of the yard with a small calico cat rubbing against his legs. She was so little and so thin. I picked her up and carried her back to the house. We gave her food and water and she ate and drank gratefully. The other cats weren't terribly pleased so she spent the night in the Guest House. Skywise didn't think that she would last the night and we didn't even know how sick she was. If she had still been outside when the rain started, she would have died. And that would have been a great loss.
Happy "Found Day" Maggie!
May Bast bless and keep you always.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #118 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
We took Miss Maggie and His Little Lordship -- who weighs 8 pounds now! -- in for their booster shots. We had made extensive plans to manage another accident if Maggie made a mess in her carrier and needed to be cleaned up -- cleaning supplies, a spare carrier and her own carrier filled with fresh clean kitty litter (Multiple Cat Strength/clumping!) -- but there were NO accidents. We think that the parasite infestation was what was causing Miss Maggie's problems with "control". Anyway, our little girlcat did quite well. When we got in the exam room, we let them out of the carriers and she prowled around looking at everything. One of the office cats peeked under the door and even stuck a paw under the door which Maggie sniffed at. His Lordship parked himself under the chair I was sitting in and made his unhappiness known to everyone in earshot!  Smiley He was a very vocal little boy! Miss M got another worming, just to be safe, and we have some Advantage Multi to put on her tonight. THAT should take care of any stubborn, lingering parasites. So, Bast willing, there will be NO vet visits between now and next June when the Queens will go in for their boosters. *whimper* Please, Bast. Make it so....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #119 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
It is SOOOOO sweet. Miss Maggie was prowling around meowing plaintively. I couldn't figure out what she wanted. Then I saw her in front of Moonie's closed bedroom door, meowing. She walked away and I went to Moonie's door and opened it. Maggie scampered in! I put her on Moonie bed  -- Moonie is napping 'cause she got up superearly to get online! -- and she got the cuddles she wanted from Moonie and is now a happy kitty!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #120 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 5:29am
Print Post  
The Queens found a large piece of catnip that I brought into the house. They are now both higher than a couple of kites. *sigh* It is a good thing that they are both going to be staying inside until it is light....

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #121 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Well, the Lexy baby has tapeworms. Ewww.
Fortunately, our vet is also staff for Dragoncon, so she brought the pills for ALL the babies to the con, as we really didn't need them to have upset tummies while we were gone. And, she gave them to us for free, so yay! Tomorrow they all get wormed! Ewww!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #122 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 2:30am
Print Post  
We're pretty sure that the Divine Miss Maggie has them again. We're dosing her with the medicine from before -- the vet told us to keep it -- and we will probably have to get more. I so sympathize with the "ewwww!"

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #123 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Well, you know some cats simply harbor a certain population of parasites, no matter what you do to evict them. The trick is to manage them, usually through finding a diet that keeps them under control. A pain, but not life-threatening.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #124 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 4:41am
Print Post  
We're going to try to eliminate them. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE STENCH THAT LITTLE CAT PRODUCES WHEN SHE HAS WORMS!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint