Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Bragging thread.. (Read 23781 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Bragging thread..
Reply #75 - May 14th, 2007 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I have GOT to get a good picture of the "Maggie flop". She falls over on her side, presents her furry tummy and demands a belly rub. The girlcat is absolutely shameless!!  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #76 - May 14th, 2007 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Awwwwww. Maggie is asleep in my lap. I'm typing with one hand... Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - May 17th, 2007 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
The War Queen has been living up to her title this morning. She was out with Skywise. He had her on his shoulder when he spotted a cat that, at first, he thought was the Hearth Queen. It was a huge orange marmalade cat that we have seen a few times. He put the War Queen down -- smart man, my hubby! -- and the other cat came to within 20 feet of them without noticing them. When the Queen was 6 feet away from it and growling, the other cat noticed.  Grin  Skywise caught up with them as they were having the traditional "stare down." The other cat didn't know he was there and he spoke loudly to them. The other cat broke the stare down and the Queen leaped to the attack!! She put the intruder to flight and according to the yowls of pain coming from the other cat, she got him good. [We are assuming that it is a tomcat.] Said kitty was last seen in full retreat....

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #78 - May 21st, 2007 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Mmmkay.  Like I said... couldn't get one without him and the dog, but since both are loved around here... can't hurt.  Grin

Cleo is about 4 months old.  And you know the other ham.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - May 21st, 2007 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Yes, I do. Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - May 21st, 2007 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
FuryRising wrote on May 21st, 2007 at 2:00pm:
Mmmkay.  Like I said... couldn't get one without him and the dog, but since both are loved around here... can't hurt.  Grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Kalika1981/JasonCleo051907-1.jpg

Cleo is about 4 months old.  And you know the other ham.

I just remembered. Where's his collar?

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #81 - May 21st, 2007 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on May 21st, 2007 at 4:15pm:
FuryRising wrote on May 21st, 2007 at 2:00pm:
Mmmkay.  Like I said... couldn't get one without him and the dog, but since both are loved around here... can't hurt.  Grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Kalika1981/JasonCleo051907-1.jpg

Cleo is about 4 months old.  And you know the other ham.

I just remembered. Where's his collar?

Grin

He doesn't wear it very often since I threatened him with the leash when he's being a pain.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - May 21st, 2007 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Might I suggest a leash in shocking pink, perhaps? Or a nice, heavy chain looks good too...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #83 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
One of the less attractive aspects of raising a "working" country cat is underway. The War Queen has been bringing home living prey for the Lord of Samhain so he can learn what is "prey" and how to kill it. The Hearth Queen has been showing him the "how" since the Gray Huntress, who passed away nearly 3 years ago, is no longer here to instruct the young ones in the art of the "clean kill."  One of the drawbacks of having a predator as a pet.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:16pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #84 - May 23rd, 2007 at 2:41am
Print Post  
As long as they remember to eat the practice dummies!

BR

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - May 23rd, 2007 at 3:20am
Print Post  
I'm used to finding dead things or parts thereof on the front walk. Skywise and the girls still get grossed out though.  Grin I think that the "eating" part is the next lesson.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 8:09pm:
One of the less attractive aspects of raising a "working" country cat is underway. The War Queen has been bringing home living prey for Samson so he can learn what is "prey" and how to kill it. The Hearth Queen has been showing him the "how" since the Gray Huntress, who passed away nearly 3 years ago, is no longer here to instruct the young ones in the art of the "clean kill."  One of the drawbacks of having a predator as a pet.

Another drawback of having a predator for a pet. At about 6:25 p.m. local, as I sat here with Spirit minding my computer, the Hearth Queen brought a live, uninjured and extremely excitable chipmunk into the house through the kitty door. Spirit yelped and the next thing I know the chipmunk had been released and had taken refuge under the stereo table in the living room. While the girls mobilized and got it surrounded -- more or less -- I called Skywise at work to appraise him of the situation. Just days ago, he insisted that the cats wouldn't bring live prey into the house.....
Both Miss Maggie and the Hearth Queen were in the living room as we attempted to flush the critter from hiding. HQ could have cared less. She had caught it once already. It was now His Little Lordship's turn. He was NOT interested.  Smiley So we kept up with the flushing while hoping that it wouldn't decide to hide behind the entertainment center. (I'd already blocked our bedroom door so it couldn't skin under there and get under our bed or in our closet!!) Well, I was poking with one of the walking sticks when I heard a yelp from MoonCat and considerable commotion from the kitchen. The chipmunk had broken from cover, dashing for the kitchen with little Miss Maggie in hot pursuit! By the time I had made it to the kitchen, Maggie had chased it into the gap between the cabinet and the stove. And there matters stood. Maggie couldn't get to it but it could get into the cabinets on either side through holes cut for pipes and such.   Smiley I took the walking stick and tried to drive it out to no avail. Sooo, I carefully took as much out of the cabinet with the biggest access hole as I could. Then, I pulled our very large, heavy stove away from the wall. I stood on a step stool and shined a light down and spotted the beasty who was refusing to budge. *sigh* We corralled Maggie who had temporarily lost interest and put her in the cabinet and closed the door. She got the idea -- and the scent -- and in less than a minute all hell broke loose again as the chipmunk dashed across the kitchen before the girls could catch it and dove into the utility closet. MoonCat went in after it with a capture jar -- a very large Jif peanut butter jar -- and quickly emerged with a confused, frightened but unharmed chipmunk in the jar. We slapped the lid on it before it could think to nip her and it was released outside where hopefully it will elude further capture!  Smiley I went back to the phone, reported the successful capture to Skywise, let Bladeraven know what had happened since I had disappeared on her and composed this post. Now I have to put the living room and the kitchen back together.......
AND THAT DAMNED CAT DOOR IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
MoonCat is out in the woods with his Little Lordship and reports, via radio, that he is carrying a chipmunk around by the tail....
HE'S NOT GETTING IN THE HOUSE WITH IT!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2007 at 11:50pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
hehehehehe I had to share these! The tabby is the Hearth Queen. The black is the War Queen giving the camera what Skywise refers to as her "Move or DIE!" look.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - May 26th, 2007 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
*sigh* Long white kittyfur -- from Maggie's tummy -- and black clothes don't mix...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
His Little Lordship is turning into quite the tomcat. That big orange tomcat was back last night and our little boy was facing him down. The orange tom would make about 2 of our little boy. The other cat ran when Skywise came up on them in the dark and the Lord of Samhain took off after him and into the woods. He probably would have chased him all the way to the other cat's home if Skywise hadn't caught him and brought him back to the house, hissing and spitting in the other cat's direction...  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:42am
Print Post  
His Lordship wants out.
He sees the hummingbirds inches from his nose at the feeder outside the front windows.
He's NOT getting out because a.) it is a half hour until sunset and thanks to the cloud cover, it is already dark.
And b.) There is another slow moving line of rain inching its way toward us and I don't want to be hunting his little furry self out in a downpour! The War Queen is already outside but she knows where to go to keep dry. The little boy doesn't and he isn't going to find out today!!

ETA: The War Queen, being a cat of good sense, has appeared at the back door and demanded admittance. I let her in, of course. So now all feline persons are in and all is well....
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:49am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
On Friday, we're taking the Queens (Hearth and War) to the vet's for their checkups and shots. Be afraid, be very afraid....

It could be -- and has been -- worse. We could be taking all four of them at the same time. Miss Maggie had never been to the vet before we got her and she still isn't used to the idea. The Lord of Samhain isn't fond of the trip either. He tends to get carsick......
I hope that he has outgrown it.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2007 at 4:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
[We REALLY, REALLY need the "hairraise" smilie!] Last night when I went out to replace the hummingbird feeder, I heard MoonCat having a fit and her tone indicated that something was upsetting her. I went to investigate. I found her in the front yard of the Guest House. His Little Lordship was on the porch roof next to the willow tree. When I arrived the little hairball decided to jump into the tree and hence to the ground. MoonCat then informed me that he had been at the (very high!) peak of the the Guest House roof peering into the unused chimney!  [Again with the "hairraise"] The chimney is as old as the house [nearly 100 years.] and it is very unstable. It should have been capped a couple of decades ago but Mom didn't have the money and neither do we. Hopefully, Bast will tell the little boy that the chimney is not something he wants to explore further!!
Then this morning, he was about 20 feet up in a walnut tree.... [and a threepeat for the hairraise!]  Smiley

Post #5,500
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2007 at 3:55pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
We're back from the vet and no one got maimed so we consider it a good trip! There is a new very contagious feline virus out there that the Queens were vaccinated for today. Next week, Miss Maggie and His Little Lordship go in for theirs. Then on the 29th, the Queens will go in for the booster. The vet should put our name on a parking space...
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2007 at 6:21pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Okay, the new virus that the Queens were vaccinated against this morning is Rhinotracheitis-Calici and it apparently began on the West Coast and is moving east. I'm presently looking for a general information link. I do now that it is very contagious. Our vet told us about virologists working with it who, even after thorough cleaning up at work, still took it home and exposed their own cats. When I find the link or links, I'll post them so you cat lovers can check them out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Here's one.

http://www.specialcat.com/FelineViralRhinotracheitis.htm

This second one might be closer to what we're talking about. The two conditions seem to be related. I'll talk to the vet next week and find out what I can.

http://www.specialcat.com/FelineCalicivirus.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2007 at 6:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #97 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Yeah, our guys get vaccinated against that---I always use a feline 7-way vaccine when I stick them. We do them every other year since they are indoor cats, and the dog doesn't get exposed. The dog gets a 7-way every year, and *ahem* rabies every two years. A little known fact is that all rabies vaccine mfrs. are required to make rabies vaccines to last a minimum of three years--even if they are labeled for one year boosters only. This is to keep the rabies rate down in feral and dumped animals. Not to mention forgetful or lazy owners. Every time an animal is vaccinated, their immune system is depressed for several months after, and can be subject to other infections/infestations, so I choose to defy state law every other year with the vaccine. I don't feel bad about it because I am not causing any greater risk to my dog or other animals by doing this, but I could get a $50 ticket if caught. LOL

Yes, I vaccinate my animals myself--cheaper than the vet visit--except rabies, which is vet only in our state. I have a deal with a vet friend of mine and she does them cheap for me, all she has to do is stick them with the rabies. Being a vet tech has perks sometimes!

I have way too many interests!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Well, our vet told us that the Queens didn't need rabies this year because the vaccine was good for 3 years.
Let's see: vet tech, piercer and construction. What else do you do? LOL

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #99 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Um, car mechanics, spinning, knitting, embroidery, some sewing, plumbing, leatherwork, high-risk security, I'm an ex-Fed, animal husbandry, computer assembly and maintenance, silversmithing, lapidary cab cutting, simple stone setting, pottery throwing, painting, I used to run distance learning classrooms, I can skin and butcher my own animals for table, decent cook, horsemanship, ice skate, I'm a first class driver, I dunno, I know there's a ton more too. LOL, like I said, too many interests.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint