Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Goth Fashion and the Real World (Read 12167 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Goth Fashion and the Real World
Aug 21st, 2006 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Goth fashion seems geared mostly to the very young, especially young women who need a nearly perfect body to pull off the look presented in the magazines and websites. Men, of course, have a bit more leeway since what most of us think of as formal wear can fit in with the Goth scene quite well, once a gentleman begins to show his age or his body is not as fit as it used to be. *sigh* As a woman of ... shall we say... a more mature aspect  whose body will not look 20 again without serious Divine Intervention, I have a problem. The dark elegance of the Victorian Era is very appealing and, of course, as a teenager during the heyday of Dark Shadows, the whole "vampire thing" has been a long standing fascination. What to do? What I've always done. My own thing. As I find helpful links, I'll post them here along with anything I discover on my own. I'm going for the elegant, professional (not that profession!)  Gothic Woman -- more in keeping with my personal style -- rather than the Gothic Club Girl who has no shortage of resources on the Web..   

This should be fun...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Goth Fashion and the Real World
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Here is the first link. I'm probably going to print this one out and frame it next to the bathroom mirror...

http://www.kithrup.com/%7eariyana/gothdress.html

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Here is a link that addresses the problems of being Goth in a 9 to 5 world with applications that can be used by the mature Goth as well..

http://www.waningmoon.com/corpgoth/fashion.shtml

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I got a copy of "Gothic Beauty" magazine today. In addition to the usual contents, it has a TON of website addresses. I'll check them out as I can and the ones that look the most interesting -- and are PG-13 (I've found some sites that made my hair stand on end!)  -- I'll post here. I recognized at least one advertiser from Circle Sanctuary Magazine.

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 12:57am
Print Post  
um... WOW!  Color me stupid, naive, whatever... but I never knew THIS much prep work went into it.  But then, I've always dressed for comfort.  I haven't worn so much as a skirt in years - it's been t-shirts or pants for... geez, it's been about seven years at least, probably more.  I am going to HAVE to study these sites further...

*wanders off in a blissful daze*

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Ah yes. The realities of Motherhood. As soon as the girls were born, I put my makeup away and once they started walking, I traded my pumps for athletic shoes!! Now that I no longer have to worry about them eating my lipstick or fingerpainting the walls with my foundation, I'm looking to experiment. Thank the Gods I don't look like a stereotypical 53 year old!  I've got a blouse I'm going to make up soon and a gorgeous dress I am going to make once I drop a couple of dress sizes...Why should the 20-somethings have all the fun!

*wanders off in the same direction as DragonMom in the same sort of daze....*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I picked up some black eye shadow today. At Wal-Mart. By Cover Girl. hehehehehe Gonna hit Hot Topic tomorrow maybe, Friday definitely. [Thank you, Nike, for introducing me to that store!] Did a little preliminary fooling around with it. Didn't look too bad. I'll need full warpaint for it to look right. I'm going with the bright red lipstick rather than the darks or black. I prefer the "just fed" look... hehehehehe *fangs bared*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Nike, MoonCat and I hit Hot Topics this afternoon. Spirit needed a belt, so we got that and I got a necklace and earrings that will soooo go with the blouse I'm going to make when the vacation is over -- maybe before. It is a fairly simple top. hehehehehe 
Nike and I will probably hit a different HT store on Friday since I live an equal distance between two of them. There is also a Spencer's Gifts store at that mall too...

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Spencer's is definitely good, a trifle cheaper than Hot Topic, but Hot Topic tends to have a wee bit better selection.  Not much, mind you... we found out the hard way that HT no longer carries boots, at least men's.  We ended up having to go to a store in Westport (re: expensive) to get the boots Doc needed for Halloweekends.  But we got lucky - he got VERY nice, real-leather knee-high boots, for $110.  *yay*  So bottom line - be willing to shop around.

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Sometimes you need to shop different stores in the same chain. The Hot Topics in Bloomington (college town) didn't have what I was looking for but the HT in Greenwood (town right outside Indianapolis) did. The Spencer's did have a couple of interesting things I'm gonna have to show to the Hubby....
I'm glad Doc found his boots. I'm still looking for some I like. I like square toed shoes/boots and I have big feet so finding something that I like and that fits is usually an ordeal.

IP Logged

Ashe_Of_Heaven

Wandering Shadow

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
ok.. couple things here.. frist the rumors of my death are greatly exagerated.. I'm just so busy I have to schedule breaths it feels like.
secondly.. speaking as one labelled goth, the external trappings of what people considered goth is what many people use to define and slap lables on people so that they can make snap judgements about what a person is or is not like.  For some reason, humans love to do this *grumble*  I just sort of dress the way I feel.  I remember when dressing the way I do got me the tag "creppy morbid looking freak" and "Addams Family Reject"  you know.. back when it wasn't "cool" to dress this way.  I imagine it will one day revert to that so *shrug* such is life I guess.  Anyway.. that all was to say this.. What is or isn't "goth" is open for each person.  Whether society considers one gothic or not is up to society and their lablers.  Just be who you are and don't sweet what is or isn't goth.  If you have to try to conform to some arbitrary external image  made by mankind  to earn "the right to call yourself" this or that.. then I ask.. Is it really you? Are you dressing or acting a certain way just so people will call you something?  If so.. drop the chains and be free.  If not.. who cares what people call you.  Just be yourself.

Heaven's Wraith
&&
&&&&
&&
Come walk with me, we shall own the night together
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
HUGS!!!!!!!Miss you!!!  As usual, you give good advice. Hehehehe  Some of the looks in the "Goth scene" I could not have pulled off when I was 20, let alone now!! My Hubby can be counted on to tell me when I look ridiculous and so far, he approves of my experiments. He has told me he draws the line at body piercing and permanent tattoos and he's getting no argument from me!!  He is especially fond of a necklace I picked out and I'm going to drag him into Hot Topics next chance I get.
I've indulged in what was called "vampire chic" from time to time since I was in my teens and I was considered weird in high school. Believe me, wearing black during an Indiana summer will get you labelled odd in a hurry! But I like black so I wear it all the time. And more to the point, he likes to see me in black.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Thought I would start the link posting with the Goth fashion source that is best known to the general public and very likely holding court in your local shopping mall -- Hot Topics!

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/index.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442142340&F...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 3:33am
Print Post  
I've been wearing black nail polish for the last few days and find that I like it very much. The brand I'm using (New York Color) doesn't wear well (it wears off of the ends of my nails quickly.) but Cover Girl also has black polish. My local Walmart was sold out of it today -- big surprise  Grin -- but I'll get some when they restock and see how it does. The Hubby is NOT sure about the black so I may alternate with a nice "fresh blood" color. hehehehehehe

And I finally found some boots that a.) I LIKE and b.) actually fit! Wearing a size 11 is bad enough but I have heavy calves too -- always have, even when I was wearing a size 12! -- so anything much above the ankles is out of the question. And a couple of pairs I tried to try on wouldn't even zip up over my ankles! grrrrrr! Fortunately, I found what I wanted at Shoe Carnival. And since I got two pairs, thank the Gods they were having a 50% off sale on women's boots!!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2006 at 3:40am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 4:17am
Print Post  
On the nail polish front: I've been wearing Colorama by Maybelline New York, No. 163 "black magic" for the last few days and I'm very pleased with it. It took only 2 coats to get a nice deep black color as opposed to 3 with New York Color.  It has been holding up well, in fact the only serious chipping occurred when my nails themselves chipped. I got some Cover Girl today and I'll try it next. hehehehe.

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Wow colour me surprised i wouldnt have seen as Goth but  good go with it.  Gothic lifestyle and dress are comfortable for the people who wear it except the little weirdos who only want to be cool. I like to see another Goth because for the most part I feel we will probably have something in common and I am more at ease with them. Its not just the dress its the lifestyle unless you want to be some sort of a little poser.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.phpattachmentid=53328&stc=1&&;Without darkness there can be no light.&&
Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
My dear Darklord, my husband has known me for 34 years and he's STILL getting surprised! You have barely scratched the surface of "me." Some of the Goth looks I could never pull off so I'm not going to try. You already know about my taste in clothing color and jewelry. As for lifestyle, I'm a Scorpio so the central themes of Goth -- death and transformation -- have always had their appeal. Plus I was exposed to death at a very early age and I don't consider it the "enemy" as so many do.

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I have no doubt you could pull it off.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.phpattachmentid=53328&stc=1&&;Without darkness there can be no light.&&
Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks, DK. [deleted] has been spreading loose talk about getting me into a Goth bar this summer. We shall see.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:15pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #19 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
That is outstanding. I think you may get a little culture shock though

Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I think you will find that it takes a LOT to shock me. And that was before I hooked up with you!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I found another brand of black nail polish. Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear # 24 Black Out. It is a nice solid black with good coverage. It only took two coats and I probably could have gotten away with one. It it now in field testing! We will see how it does up against typing, dishes, laundry and the plaster/sand/cement mix I'm making the Castle blocks with!  Grin

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Oooh product testing.

Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Yep! And it is holding up pretty well. I've got a few tiny worn spots on the ends but nothing at requires a touchup yet. So far, I'm a happy camper. I think black polish looks very elegant but only if it is done right. That is to say no chipping and a nice deep color!

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I think we may have a winner.  Smiley

Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint