Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Goth Fashion and the Real World (Read 12168 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Goth Fashion and the Real World
Reply #25 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
It looks that way. We'll see how it does over the weekend. So far, the Hubby hasn't mentioned the "Halloween" color on my nails.  Grin

IP Logged

Ashe_Of_Heaven

Wandering Shadow

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Ah yes. Black nails.  LOL the looks people give those of us that wear them are classic.

Heaven's Wraith
&&
&&&&
&&
Come walk with me, we shall own the night together
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Something I feel I have to point out....DK and Ashe have both said "make sure you're doing it not for just the look, or you will be a poser" (boiled down of course).  No (exessive) offense intended to DK and Ashe, but that seems a bit "duh" for someone like Penth.  It does matter if you're doing Goth, Skater, Preppie, Gansta, or whatever.  If you're doing it just for the style/appearance, you are a poser.

Now, Penth... something you need to invest in (and yes, it's an investment) is a REAL corset.  Not some piece of junk made with plastic boning; something with STEEL bones.  When I mean investment, we are talking at least $200.  Anything cheaper is not: (1) going to last and (2) can hurt you if you are wearing it for too long.  For the goth look, it is common to go with a black or red corset, but the general ban on color you see in a lot of the "goth fashion guides" is rediculous.  Jewel tones, royals (such as royal blue, purple, hunter green), faded pinks, ivory are all acceptable if you do them right.

For example,

A black high collar lace sheer shirt with this corset and a long-fitted skirt with a train-like back, in stilletto sandles with straps going around the calf.  (Or a Silver or black peasant's skirt, with combat boots)

A white poet's blouse (readily available at Goodwill) with this waist-cincher corset and mid-thigh or just above the knee leather skirt and long boots (just under the knee).

A great gothic clothing style is not limited to black, not in the slightest.  (In fact, in my opinion goths who are limited to the black with VERY little color need to learn how to use color to accent their style.)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Hmmmm I like. But before I spend $200 or more on anything I'm going to whittle myself down to an acceptable -- to me! -- size. Then it's gonna be "Katie bar the door!" 'cause Penth is gonna need a whole new wardrobe! *Visions of smoking credit cards...*

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #29 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention before, make sure it is custom built for your measurements.  A corset is NOT something you can buy off the rack.  It will cause harm if you do.

Remember, when you are talking about a corset, they are designed to REDUCE your visible size.  Most properly built corsets will reduce your waist by 3 to 6 inches.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #30 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
You definitely have a good point on the poser aspect.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.phpattachmentid=53328&stc=1&&;Without darkness there can be no light.&&
Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #31 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Regarding the corset thing, there are a few things to know.

First, decide if you are wearing the corset as an accent, or if you are going to do serious waist training. The two things require different approaches. A serious waist training program is no joke, and you should know that there are potential health risks if done improperly, so DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!!

Now then, for those not embarking on body modification but looking for a lovely figure enhancing accessory/foundation, off-the-rack (or off the peg for our UK friends) isn't always bad, but it is always the inferior choice. Custom made (bespoke or one-off) corsets are a bit more expensive, 10-40%, but are well worth every penny spent on them.

A properly fitted corset is not uncomfortable at all for long term wear. Because it is made to your unique measurements as to length and width and such, it will not pinch, poke, or squish you in uncomfy places. An off-the-rack corset is made to someone's idea of a general average of ratios according to waist size. so it may be too tall, too short, too loose on top or bottom, or may be way too tight somewhere else. Also, you will never be able to lace an off the rack corset properly unless you happen to match that manufacturer's "idealized" ratio set.

A properly laced corset is laced with one set of strings/laces/cord in a giant loop so that the long ends of the loop are in the center of the corset. When tightening, the corset is gradually tightened from the top and bottom to the center, where the ends are tied in a bow....NOT wrapped around the waist and tied, as this can rub holes in the corset, and also cause bruising at the waist. When properly fitted and tightened, the grommets on the back of the corset (or front, if you laced it that way) should be PARALLEL and even. The gap should never be wider or narrower at the top and waist, or bottom and waist. This puts undue stress both on the garment and on the body, causing all kinds of nasty side effects--like pinching! And if you have a good corset, with steel bones, the bones could snap and injure you!.  Also, the flesh that tends to bulge at the laces is unsightly (and uncomfortable), so a lace protector should either be a part of the corset, or placed under the laces before tightening. Properly fitted and properly laced, a good corset is a joy to wear. It supports your back, improves your posture, and slims the figure.

Another grand idea for corset wear is a corset liner. There are commercial versions made, but for short term wear, an old t-shirt cut off to make a long rectangle will work very well. The short side of the rectangle should be the same length as your corset height from bottom to top. It should be long enough to wrap all the way around you under the corset before tightening. A corset liner does a couple of things. It protects you from the corset rubbing your bare skin as you move. It also protects the corset from you! Corsets cannot be washed, only spot cleaned. Therefore, they need protection from sweat, skin oils and acids, and fabric wear from friction. A corset liner accomplishes all of these things easily and comfortably.

After wearing, a corset should be hung by the laces over a coat hanger, towel bar, or other horizontal bar or rod and allowed to air for at least two or three hours. I store mine in the closet hanging over coat hangers by the laces, but I understand others fold theirs up with muslin inside and out and store them in drawers. These methods ensure that there are no uneven stresses on the construction of the garment. A corset is a marvelous piece of engineering, but like all engineered constructions, they are designed to cope with specific stresses, and do poorly with stresses they weren't designed for.

Oh boy, I went and wrote another novel! Sorry for that, and I hope I gave you all some info you may not have had before. A wonderful source of additional info is the Long Island Staylace Association. Google them for their site which also has additional links to suppliers of bespoke corsets.

As always,
Black_Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #32 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I also forgot to mention!

For "real-world" wear, a corset can go under or over a nice shirt or blouse. A long corset, worn over a blouse and under a jacket and slacks/skirt looks much like a fitted vest! But it generally won't get odd looks from bosses or co-workers as being fetish wear. A short corset, worn the same way, looks like a wide accent belt. A scarf can also be loosely draped around the waist, further enhancing the "ornate belt" look.

Worn under a body skimming but not skin tight dress, even very curvy women look svelte and sleek. (*I* know, I'm in the plus size range and can get away with it without looking trashy!)

It helps a great deal to choose classically elegant tailoring in the clothing worn with a corset. This downplays the "fetishy" aspect of the corset itself, and emphasizes the overall ensemble as a whole image. This can actually improve your corporate image as a strong, capable, competent representative of your company, while not turning you into a fake male image.

Again,
Black_Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
*Busy taking notes..  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Update:
The verdict is in! The winner is... "Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear # 24 Black Out. It is far and away the best in my opinion with the Maybelline coming in second. And it is relatively easy to find and not ruinously expensive.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #35 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 12:20am
Print Post  
My daughter likes that one too! She does "french" nails with black base and chrome silver tips. Looks very nice!
She can even get away with it for school, so that's a good thing!

As always,
Black_Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 12:56am
Print Post  
oooooo That does sound pretty. And wouldn't last half a day on my hands!  Grin  Between typing, housework and the other little projects I get into my hands and nails take a beating. That is why I'm a good one to test nail polish, if it will stand up to my life, it will stand up to anyone's!
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2007 at 12:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #37 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Feb 7th, 2007 at 12:56am:
oooooo That does sound pretty. And wouldn't last half a day on my hands!  Grin  Between typing, housework and the other little projects I get into my hands and nails take a beating. That is why I'm a good one to test nail polish, if it will stand up to my life, it will stand up to anyone's!

You know there is something that will help that...but, you may not want to use it.  Clear Epoxy Resin.  Put your polish on, then carefully apply the resin to just the painted nail.  Don't let it get on your skin, or you may have problems.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #38 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 3:40am
Print Post  
***ROTFLMFAO***

(Keep D away from the concrete......lol)

As always,
Black_Rose

IP Logged

mithrilmoon

Empowered Free Woman.

Reply #39 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:38pm:
*Busy taking notes..  Grin

Me too.

Boy do I wanna corset!

Perhaps the time has come...

...love truly, with your whole heart, and definitely take prisoners

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #40 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I found a wonderful bunch of folks who make "gothy" clothing that is really comfortable, and they make their clothes in sizes from XS to 5XL. They are on eBay as "HolyClothing.com" and also have a separate website HolyClothing.com as well. I have had great success with their eBay offerings, as most of their "buy-it-now" stuff also has a "make offer" button. The auctions usually finish below the buy it now price, but to really save, make an offer that is approx. 1/2 the asking price plus two or three dollars. 90% of the time they accept that offer.

Everything I have from them has garnered compliments every time I have worn them, and many times I have been pressed to tell where they came from. I have worn their clothes as both daily wear, and to formal dinners, and received nothing but praise for the outfits. Their stuff is mostly rayon and cotton, so it does breathe, and even though it says to dry clean, I have machine washed on cold gentle, and dried in the dryer on low heat with no ill results. I turn everything inside out to do this, and use dryer sheets rather than liquid softener.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I'll have to check them out. I don't want to spend a lot until I reach my "goal weight/size" but there might be something I could get now...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Okay, guys, Skywise and I are having a disagreement and I need unbiased opinions.
He thinks that in order for me to even attempt the "Goth Look" I would have to dye my hair black and straighten it. In short, Morticia Addams.
For the record, I have green eyes, "Celtic fair" skin (typical of blonde/redhaired celts) and I dye my barely wavy naturally "mostly white now" hair red. I think that you can be a red haired Goth.
What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:15pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #43 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
You can be a red-headed goth... or any color-haired goth, really.  Play up your make-up, and see what you think.  You could always get a black hair dye that washes out after a few times, so you'd know if you'd like it or not.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I think that black hair would make me look too pale. When I was a teen my hair was a medium brown with red highlights and I always looked "washed out."

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #45 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
It's all about accessories.  Look around on the web and see what you find - not all goths have black hair... actually, some of the hottest ones are redheads and blondes.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Skywise has always had a thing for women with coal black hair -- like his  Grin -- worn long and parted in the middle. Black Rose has sent me a bunch of links to look at -- and I WILL -- as soon as life settles a bit which it seems to be doing.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #47 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Red-headed goths are almost always the ones garnering the most attention, as far as I have seen. One of the tricks for makeup I have seen is to use a white base makeup with a green undertint to cancel out the ruddy glow many natural redheads have to their skin. This makes for a white-white-white face to decorate with black, red, purple and sapphire colors.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 5:23am
Print Post  
When I get a good picture I'll have to send it to you. I have NO ruddy tint -- or any other kind -- in my skintone. I'm not albino but I'm about as pale as you can get and not be one. And Skywise will be disappointed to hear that I don't have to dye my hair black to be Goth....  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I picked up a new eyeliner yesterday and I was fooling with it last night. My glasses make my eye makeup hard to see so when I'm ready to be photographed, I'll leave my glasses off. I'm going to have to develop a steadier hand with the eyeliner though....   Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2007 at 4:07pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint