Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Goth Fashion and the Real World (Read 12166 times)
Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Re: Goth Fashion and the Real World
Reply #50 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that can be annoying.  Intentionally trying to make your make up strong and visible also means perfection is more important.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Plus the fact that I'm so damned nearsighted that getting close enough to the mirror to see what I'm doing doesn't leave me much room to apply the makeup! Eye shadow isn't too bad, I can put that on by "feel" but mascara and especially eyeliner require precise control. And as far as contact lenses are concerned, I'm not even sure that they make contacts strong enough to do me any good. The last ones I got -- over 20 years ago -- were as thick as a dime and the diameter of a nickel. I'm afraid that the only hope for me, eyesight wise, is a lens implant. The procedure is identical to cataract surgery but it isn't covered by insurance. So unless I find myself a "sugar daddy" I'm out of luck.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #52 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Heh.  You should check again,  I know my eyesight is very poor and I can get contacts.  Not overly large/thick either.  But, again, I don't know that's a option for you.  I would like to get LASIK eventually.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I'll probably check into it again when I get some new glasses -- which I need! Hopefully, there won't be any appliances that need replacing any time soon so I can see about "seeing."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 2:52am
Print Post  
HOT DAMN!!!! I do believe I've got the eyeliner problem licked -- and without eye surgery or permanent eyeliner tattoos! (The very thought of tattoo needles near my eyes is enough to make me scream....) I'll work on it a little more and have MoonCat take some test pictures later in the week. If they come out right, I'll get Gothed up and let her take some more.... hehehehehehe

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Black_Rose wrote on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 10:15pm:
I found a wonderful bunch of folks who make "gothy" clothing that is really comfortable, and they make their clothes in sizes from XS to 5XL. They are on eBay as "HolyClothing.com" and also have a separate website HolyClothing.com as well. I have had great success with their eBay offerings, as most of their "buy-it-now" stuff also has a "make offer" button. The auctions usually finish below the buy it now price, but to really save, make an offer that is approx. 1/2 the asking price plus two or three dollars. 90% of the time they accept that offer.

Everything I have from them has garnered compliments every time I have worn them, and many times I have been pressed to tell where they came from. I have worn their clothes as both daily wear, and to formal dinners, and received nothing but praise for the outfits. Their stuff is mostly rayon and cotton, so it does breathe, and even though it says to dry clean, I have machine washed on cold gentle, and dried in the dryer on low heat with no ill results. I turn everything inside out to do this, and use dryer sheets rather than liquid softener.

Black Rose

You forgot the link to their site, BR. Here it is....

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Holyclothing

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - May 11th, 2007 at 4:34am
Print Post  
I think I've won the "red headed Goth" argument. I was flipping through issue #22 of Gothic Beauty and got to the last page and the inside back cover and what did I find? An ad for After Dark Jewelry with a red headed Goth model and on the facing page the last shot of a fashion shoot with, you guessed it, a red headed model. hehehehehe And yes, I immediately showed them to Skywise. He had no comment.... Smiley Smiley I don't usually rub it in but this time I might, just a little....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Update:  Tomorrow should be interesting. I've been letting my "inner Goth" out to play and Skywise has warmed to the idea considerably. Since tomorrow is "Girls' Day Out" for me and Nike, Skywise has suggested that I make up my eyes and "field test" the look. Since he won't be along he expects that I will get honest reactions without his presence inhibiting anyone and Nike will be along to observe. Once I get all the "stuff" that he wants me to get, he's gonna set up a photo shoot and if anything is worth sharing, I will!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I would say that the "field test" was a great success. In fact, even I thought I looked hot and if you know me, you know how stunning that is! And since Skywise thoroughly approves of the look, it is here to stay. I won't be made up all the time but when time permits -- you betcha! I also have permission to spend "whatever it takes" on wardrobe additions. It's a good thing I'm NOT a clothes horse!! I DO have some naughty ideas though. [Don't I always?!  Smiley ]

Skywise took some test pictures but -- perfectionist that he is -- he isn't satisfied with them. Now he's talking about getting a better, more expensive camera, pro lights and setting up a "studio" in the Guest House.... *sigh* My beloved is off and running....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:46am
Print Post  
I picked up some really cheap black lipstick in the costume section at Wal-Mart today. I'm not too sure about it but Skywise thinks that further investigation is in order. So, I'm googling theatrical makeup suppliers.  Smiley He was looking at cameras but has decided to hold off on that. No doubt the imminent purchase of the new iMac was on his mind! I also got a pattern (McCall's 4107) for a Renaissance top that looks promising after I "fool" with it a bit.  Smiley All I have to do is combine the "strapless" version with the "lace up the front" version and I should be on the right track...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
My finger nails are once again elegantly black. All is right with the world.  Smiley
And I'm really going to need a bigger jewelry box. I seem to be accumulating all sorts of interesting Goth jewelry -- especially chokers. As soon as I can get my hands on the appropriate findings, I have some braid that will make a lovely blood red choker....
Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007 at 11:54pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #61 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Skywise is looking at this dress with a great deal of interest.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=100670

I'm thinking that I could probably make one similar for less than this one costs and it would likely fit better since.. ahem... I'm one size on top and another on the bottom. That requires a bit of custom fitting, don't ya know. Anyway, McCall's has a really good selection of patterns for this period and I seem to recall something in this style in the catalog. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #62 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I went looking. McCall's doesn't have anything exactly right but I have an old pattern -- which I got in every size available at the time -- that has that neckline and waist. I have another pattern that has a similar skirt arrangement. That just leaves the "bell" sleeves.... Smiley I'd make one up in muslin first, of course, before I started cutting velvet and, I'm thinking maybe, silver taffeta...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #63 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
For high quality cosmetics in "specialty" colors, nothing beats Ben Nye....  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #64 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 3:33am
Print Post  
I went shopping online today and I must say I was disappointed in the selection. While I did find one item that Skywise will appreciate  Smiley Smiley the rest of what I found was obviously not intended for a grown up woman who has curves. [Which I do have, incidentally!] Fortunately, I know my way around a cutting table and sewing machine and I've found a few patterns that should fill my needs nicely. Custom made is always best anyway even if it is a bit more time consuming to get. I foresee a considerable amount of time this fall and winter spent in filling out my dark wardrobe.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #65 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Skywise has such naughty ideas! Smiley

Thank the Gods for Tandy Leather!!

And it's a good thing that "molding" leather is relatively easy....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Oct 4th, 2007 at 3:33am:
I went shopping online today and I must say I was disappointed in the selection. While I did find one item that Skywise will appreciate  Smiley Smiley the rest of what I found was obviously not intended for a grown up woman who has curves. [Which I do have, incidentally!] Fortunately, I know my way around a cutting table and sewing machine and I've found a few patterns that should fill my needs nicely. Custom made is always best anyway even if it is a bit more time consuming to get. I foresee a considerable amount of time this fall and winter spent in filling out my dark wardrobe.....

hehehehe The naughty stuff I ordered has arrived. Skywise doesn't know yet. Smiley There will be NO pictures of this particular item. Even the link to it is too "naughty" for a PG-13 site!

And yes, it fits and I'm wearing it right now....
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2007 at 7:47pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #67 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Well, I've ordered the patterns. And the leather. And the... ahem... "things" to go with the leather. I've also been given the go ahead for some bedroom redecorating so now I'm looking for bed linens and planning window treatments. muwahahahahaha I've already made some changes in the master bathroom. hehehehehe Hey, if he likes it -- and he does -- I'm sure not going to argue with him!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #68 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
This site turned up in a Google search. How could I resist? I'm already a rather "crafty" person so.....  Smiley

http://www.trystancraft.com/martha/

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 6:51pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #70 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
More ideas from my Google search....

http://www.marbleslawn.com/medievalhome2.html

ETA: This is the link to the "page 1" mentioned in the above link where the templates are.

http://www.marbleslawn.com/medievalhome.html

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:48pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 1:07am
Print Post  
The leather has arrived along with most of what I ordered to go with it. I hope the backorder doesn't take too long. Skywise has his eye on a pair of boots for me. Thank the Gods he doesn't expect me to actually walk in them, just wear them! *giggle!*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #72 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Oct 13th, 2007 at 1:07am:
The leather has arrived along with most of what I ordered to go with it. I hope the backorder doesn't take too long. Skywise has his eye on a pair of boots for me. Thank the Gods he doesn't expect me to actually walk in them, just wear them! *giggle!*

The rest of the shipment has arrived and I'm a happy camper. I haven't ordered the aforementioned boots yet but I probably will. hehehehe I'm very agreeable these days...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #73 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I'm seriously thinking about looking into contact lenses this week. Disposables, probably, if they make them in my prescription. I have no idea what I would look like without glasses, it has been so long since I could see myself in a mirror without them. Skywise has the super late shift during the middle of the week so there would be time for me to stop at the Wal-Mart Vision Center and ask some questions and find out what's available. It should be a bit easier since I'm no longer in trifocals. THOSE were a pain in the posterior.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #74 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 1:37am
Print Post  
I keep finding patterns for gorgeous dresses that I have no place -- yet -- to wear!  We saw some fabric today that's giving me ideas too -- a polyester/spandex velvet. Probably doesn't "breathe" all that well but GODS! It was gorgeous and soooo soft...
Also machine washable and dryable, a definite plus!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint