Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Goth Fashion and the Real World (Read 12169 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Goth Fashion and the Real World
Reply #75 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 1:39am
Print Post  
A couple of days ago, Skywise was telling me about an outfit that he wants to put together for me. It involves a good deal of black leather combined with an equal or greater amount of exposed skin!  Smiley He is calling it the "Mistress Penthesilea" outfit and it is exactly what it sounds like!  Smiley There is even talk of a temporary tattoo. (We found a site that sells kits so you can make your own temporary tat with your computer printer and I will admit to certain "evil" ideas! hehehe Yeah, I'm an evil woman!)

I guess that if he's game, so am I! Smiley There might even be pictures....

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007 at 7:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #76 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
We made a quick pass through Jo-Anne Fabrics this morning and I checked their selection of "dressy" fabric. I have three gowns that I want to make and at first glance it looks like I'll be able to get what I need more or less locally. The fabric I was looking at is machine washable and dryable which is a very good thing since I intend to actually wear the outfits! I don't have a fortune to spend on dry cleaning!! I'm still considering what to use for a petticoat that will be clearly visible with one of the dresses. I'm torn between red and metallic silver. The gown it will go with will be black with silver trim. The trims are already picked out and purchased except for some frog closures that I need in metallic silver. I can probably make them if I need to but it would less of a hassle to buy a matching set. There is a Hancock Fabrics store in the same area so I'll be checking there too.
Skywise says that I look good in bright red so I'll be looking for something I can make up in that color.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:58am
Print Post  
I've been looking at the instructions for the above mentioned dress (McCall's 4997 if you're interested) and puzzling out how they "do" the sleeves. Not being one to leave well enough alone and "follow the instructions exactly" I'm looking for an alternate way to do the upper seam of those sleeves. I know from experience that encasing those curves in bias tape is going to involve a ton of hand sewing but I have found some "cord trim with lip" in black and silver that I am dying to use. I thought about inserting it in the seam between the lining and the outer layer but that route also presents problems. Even though I don't smoke, I can understand why my aunt chain smoked when she was confronted with a knotty sewing problem! The piping down the front is no problem. I can put it on as directed in the instructions and cover the "lip" with the trim I'm going to use. It is those cool looking but "gonna be a PAIN to do" sleeves that I'm stewing over! Smiley *Goes off to eat M & Ms and read the instructions again...*
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:59am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:36am
Print Post  
I've found someplace that sells silver bias tape -- for enclosing the edges of those aforementioned sleeves -- but I think that I'll look into making my own. They have a little gadget that makes it easy (or at least easier) and I would know that I was getting exactly what I want if I make it myself. Yeah. About some things I am a perfectionist and sewing is one of them! (Writing is another although I usually know when to quit when it comes to words!) Yes, I've decided to go with encasing those edges in bias tape. Looking over the alternative I could see a veritable nightmare involving me, an ungodly number of straight pins and a hot iron....  We won't even mention "clipping curves." *shudder!* So I'll likely be ordering that black and silver "cord with lip" in a few days -- after I decide how much extra to get. hehehehehe I always like to have some "extra" just in case.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:36am:
I've found someplace that sells silver bias tape -- for enclosing the edges of those aforementioned sleeves -- but I think that I'll look into making my own. They have a little gadget that makes it easy (or at least easier) and I would know that I was getting exactly what I want if I make it myself. Yeah. About some things I am a perfectionist and sewing is one of them! (Writing is another although I usually know when to quit when it comes to words!) Yes, I've decided to go with encasing those edges in bias tape. Looking over the alternative I could see a veritable nightmare involving me, an ungodly number of straight pins and a hot iron....  We won't even mention "clipping curves." *shudder!* So I'll likely be ordering that black and silver "cord with lip" in a few days -- after I decide how much extra to get. hehehehehe I always like to have some "extra" just in case.

We went back to JoAnne's Fabrics and I found that little gadget that you can use to make bias tape. The one I got won't make tape as wide as I need for this dress but the package has a website address on it and I can order other sizes straight from them. So, I'll likely make my own tape for this dress. That way I'll know what I'm getting. With mail order, you can never be absolutely sure until it arrives. I'm still puzzling over what to wear under it.

*swat!* "Nothing!" is not an option! At least not in public!Smiley 

Where was I? Oh yeah, underthings. I have a idea or two for a skirt. It is the top or tops that I'm puzzling over. A corset is one possibility but I want to have some sleeves under those cutouts in the overdress and I want something lowcut. Smiley  Right now, I'm toying with the idea of a corset with a sheer top over it with sleeves that are a bit more opaque. I might have to just make all the possibilities up and have a marathon "try on and see" session to find out what looks best. At least I know what the skirt should look like, feel like and be made of -- probably black taffeta. I might make up an alternate skirt -- same pattern -- in silver lame.... Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008 at 8:04pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I've been working on Castle posts and just ran across the description of the dress that the Keyholder wore to her ill-fated birthday party. Now I want to make THAT up! I'm hopeless!
First, I'll have to find a dress pattern suitable to be made up in black velvet....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Feb 27th, 2008 at 8:02pm:
I've been working on Castle posts and just ran across the description of the dress that the Keyholder wore to her ill-fated birthday party. Now I want to make THAT up! I'm hopeless!
First, I'll have to find a dress pattern suitable to be made up in black velvet....

I haven't found what I'm looking for in the way of a pattern but I have found metallic silver lace for the trim.  I am SOOO doomed. Just what I need! Smiley ANOTHER Darklady sewing project....
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:01am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint