Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building Penthesilea's Castle (Read 8621 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Building Penthesilea's Castle
Reply #25 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
hehehehehe MissionContol!  I have sand! 50 pounds of it in fact. Today and maybe tomorrow, I make cookies but block making is in my future. Lots and LOTS of blocks!! Using quick and dirty figures -- not considering openings in the wall -- the exterior wall of the Castle/Military Compound will take [drumroll please!] 15,040 blocks.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I put the sand in a storage bucket today. It is tan and as fine as superfine sugar. There will be no lumps with this in the mix! I'm not baking today -- I'm doing laundry and "kitchen disaster" clean-up -- so I'll mix up a batch later and see how it works.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2006 at 3:15am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
IT HAS BEGUN!!!!

Specifically, I've begun making blocks for the first Castle section. I definitely need to make a couple of large drying frames. Some Castlebuilders use food dehydrators to speed the drying of the blocks. I've been putting mine on an old spatter screen I had laying around and then sticking them in my oven where, after a few hours with my pilot light, they come out nice and dry. This worked fine for the test batches but, as previously posted, I'm gonna need a LOT of blocks! So I want to make some screens the size of my oven racks so I can dry lots of them at a time. If I get really creative -- and I'm likely too  Grin -- I'll make them "stackable" so I can really fill up the oven....
And don't worry. I won't accidently bake them. I always have a sheet of paper towel stuck in the oven door when I have something drying in the oven whether it's egg noodles or building blocks!
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2006 at 11:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
ROTFLMBO!!!!  Last night, the Beloved Hubby realized the scope of the Castle project.
He got home and I was buzzing around with building blocks all over the place and he asked how many I was going to need to build the Castle. I told him that I had no idea but that I'd run some quick and dirty figures on the outside wall and gave him the above mentioned figure of 15,040 blocks. I then went on to tell him that the finished castle would measure 6 feet by 10 feet. I couldn't see him at that point, being in another room, but I could just see him swallow hard. "Where are you going to put it?" He asked. "In the basement," I replied. And once we finish the major excavations down there, there will be room. I went on to explain to him that the size was why I'm building it in 2 x 2 foot sections, so that if we ever did have to move it, we could. At that point, he turned to MoonCat and said, "Your mother is building Caernarvon Castle." I told him, "Not quite. The Keyholder's Castle is a bit less fortress like in its design." I haven't told him about the anti-aircraft guns yet.....
The sweetie then went forth and found this website. http://www.castles.org/index.htm

Anyway, I'm going to begin building today. I've got enough blocks to start and they are beginning to pile up!  Grin I'm thinking they would be best stored firmly attached to the base. Yes, photos will be taken and with the Hubby's help, I should have some up soon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 3:36am
Print Post  
I've got the first "course" of blocks down -- that's a row for those of you unfamiliar with the lingo of the building trades. It looks pretty good. What I'm working on now is the section of the wall where it will connect to the section with the Housekeeping tower on it. I'm building it with "notches" on the end, (pics will be forthcoming when I can get some taken.) with the idea that with matching notches on the other section the two sections will fit together snugly. Time will tell. If it doesn't work like I want it to, I can fill in the notches with single blocks. I'm still figuring out some things -- like how high the north and south gates should be and how to make "handicapped" ramps for the Dining Hall and Ballroom Terraces.

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2006 at 4:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Mission Control: We have a problem. I was working on that "notched" section last night, trying to get the blocks I was setting nice and straight, when it snapped off in my hand! Fortunately, it broke off in one piece at the bottom where it was glued to the baseboard. I know why it broke. I used a "two block" piece of the base piece instead of a "3 block" piece. I've glued a "three block" piece on the bottom so when I glue it back on the base it will be anchored by a three inch base instead of a two inch one. I'm going to finish constructing this section before I glue it back on the base. I will need to figure out to brace it while it dries but that is a problem for a bit later. Current problems are enough of a challenge....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Castle Update: I now realize that it was a good thing that that piece broke off. I had one of those "duh!" moments when I realized that it was gonna be real difficult to attach it to the rest of the wall since the gate on that side does NOT go all the way to the top of the wall.. *sigh* So, I'm starting that section over and will build it along with the rest of the wall. The now spare wall piece will probably be cut in half and be used in the Security Barriacade on the Military side of the Castle. I've got the first pictures of the project downloaded into the computer and as soon as I get them sorted, I'll put some of them up so you can see what is sitting in the middle of the kitchen!  Grin  I'm going to have to find another workspace pretty soon.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Okay, the first pictures are in. This is the base for the first section. First I drew a grid of 1 inch squares on the wood in pencil. Then I took a magic marker and drew in the floor plan. The red "X"s are to remind me where the doors are!  Grin I didn't mark the North Gate since it was kinda obvious! The base is a bit short of 24 inches on one side so I used that for the outer edge. As you will be able to tell from the picture, I kinda messed up the floor plan. That came from trying to draw it while the roofers were pounding on the roof....

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:41pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Here is the base with the first course of blocks glued down in their final positions which, as you can tell, didn't quite match the design I lay out. Note to self: Next time, do NOT draw the plan on the base when something else loud and distracting is going on!
I'm working on the second course now. After I finish the third course, I'll have to start working on the floors for the first floor of the Knights' Tower (the square) and the Training Hall (the rectangle). I think I'm going to make the Training room floor out of wood. The Tower will have some sort of design made from the tiles. I haven't decided what sort of design yet. I'm going to design it on cardstock before I start. I'll need to know what tiles I need to cast and they'll need to be painted before they are glued down since I really have no desire to lose my mind -- no more than I already have anyway...  Grin

Edited because I can't spell worth beans today!
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2007 at 6:42pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Hehehehehe Every time I walk into the kitchen I glue a few more blocks down. I have enough blocks made to finish the second course and start on the third so I probably won't make any more blocks for a day or two unless I take a notion to cast floor tiles. I'm going to need to cover 100 square inches and if I use some of the smaller pieces in whatever design I end up with I'm going to have to cast a lot since there are only one or two spaces for the tiny pieces on the mold.

Edited for spelling, of course!
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2007 at 2:29am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I've started on the third course and I've started staggering the blocks so the seams don't line up. I've decided how I'm going to do the floor in the Training Hall -- narrow craft sticks. It will take about 90 to 120 of them depending on which way I lay them with the rounded ends trimmed off but the end result should look like a hardwood floor. Needless to say, I'm going to fit the pieces very carefully before I start as it would be very difficult to fix a mistake once things are glued down..

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Reply #36 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Quite an ambitious project, Penth.  Looks good so far!  Smiley

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Thanks! I'm gonna have to clear off all the kitchen counters tomorrow and cast blocks.  Shocked I've figured out -- I think!  Grin -- how to do the arch between the Main Courtyard and the Green between the Dining Hall and the Knight's Tower/Trainiing Hall and I'm gonna need those blocks soon. Once I finish the third course of blocks it will get tricky 'cause the next course will hold the supports for the second floor. That is going to take some thought so I'll be doing the floors in the Training Hall and the Tower while I think!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
This morning I got some 1/2 inch square dowels at Hobby Lobby for the roof supports so I'm good there. I haven't decided if the floors of the upper floors will be made of foam board or 1/4 inch masonite. In any event given the size of the Training Hall I want extra support for the ceiling/floors. The Training Hall will also probably have support columns made of dowel rods since Hirst Arts doesn't have a mold for columns that tall.
Today I'll be casting blocks and sawing the rounded ends off of the craft sticks. Then I'm going to cut them to random lengths to simulate a real hardwood floor and finally file/sand the edges nice and smooth so they fit together property. I might make the Ballroom floor out of real wood too so this will be good practice! Like I told the Hubby, this Castle is a labor of love. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 2:22am
Print Post  
I got several batches of blocks made this afternoon and they sit in the oven gently drying out under the influence of the pilot light. I'll make some more tomorrow and then should be set to finish the third course. I'm still figuring out how to do the Training Hall floor -- I might have to cut down a larger craft stick or two to make the fit perfect. It seems that no matter which direction I go in, the Training Hall floor is just slightly larger than the sticks. grrrrrrr
I still haven't settled on a design for the first floor of the Knight's Tower but that, at least, will be made of the molded blocks and will need no tedious cutting and sanding. Only tedious painting, fussing and fitting!  Grin

Edited for spelling 'cause I can't!!
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2007 at 4:43am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Fortunately, I didn't get to the "floor laying" part of the program when I had planned. Today in WalMart I found a craft item called "Skinny Sticks" They are little strips of wood 5 3/4 x 1/4 x 3/32 inches. I got a couple of packages of them and laid them out on the Training Hall floor and they look perfect! So all I have to do now is prepare the surface, make some shallow cuts in the strips to simulate seams and start -- carefully -- gluing. Pictures will be forthcoming!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Well, I'm getting ready to put the floor down in the Training Hall. It looks like those "Skinny Sticks are going work out great. I'm still carefully considering how to do the second and subsequent floors on both the Hall and the Tower. I still haven't gotten to the design for the floor of the Knights's Tower done. Inspiration is slow in coming or perhaps there is too much.  Grin So many possibilities!
The low wall separating the Green from the Main Courtyard is almost done The arch over the gate between them is in place and looks pretty good if I do say so myself. As soon as I can, I'll get a picture taken and up. I didn't take any pictures of the building process but I'll have to build another one or two so there will be plenty of opportunity for photos.

edited for typos....
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2007 at 6:32pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #42 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
If you are going to put a double course of blocks for the entire height of the wall, the floors shouldn't be too hard.

Use inch square dowels to make a beam basis for your floor.  The dowels go into the wall, which you used custom-cut blocks to anchor.

For four-sided rooms (square, rectangle, even trapezoids if you have them.):
If you want to use 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch, space them about 1 inch apart.  For 1/8 inch X 1/8 inch, set them about 1/2 inch apart.  If you are still going to build the whole castle so that you can remove each floor, you want to set the "beams" a MINIMUM of three vertical courses above the split point.  At the level of the beams, using a Dremel or router, cut a grove into the blocks to accommodate a 1/6 inch thick piece of wood, cut to fit the room exactly (use multiple pieces if needed), plus half the width of the block.  This is the base for the flooring material (tiles or those skinny sticks).

For Round or more than four sided rooms or triangles:
Option 1, the Simple way: Space the "beams" in a wheel pattern under your floor base, using a smaller piece of wood in the same shape of the floor in the center (where they join) to secure them.

Option 2, the Complicated Way (but it looks better): Divide the shape into triangles as equal as possible., place beams along these lines, with the ends going toward wall into the wall.  Then, divide these triangles into equal distances, and place beams along these lines into the wall. Use the small shape like above as an anchor for the center.

Option 3, the "What the  Smiley was I thinking, this is a pain in the ass.  But DAMN that looks so bad ass that even Satan would cry!" Method (this works for any shape other than rounds):
Divide the floor into equal sized triangles as above (each triangle has to be independent of the other, i.e. the sides can touch, but not share (so the sides going into the walls are always doubled).  Add a beam to the center of each of the main triangles (dividing them in half), by trimming a beam to a point, and notching the original beam group in the center to half depth, doing the same with center point beams.  Divide the center beams into equal distances, and place a beam at the distances (cross-bars), notching each beam to half depth ALL the beams are at equal depth.  (You should have something like a spider-web now.)  Between each cross-bar, place a small beam at an angle.  Make all the angled beams (supports) angle towards the walls, making each triangle have smaller triangles all with the fat end going to the wall.  (This should make each ring look like it's kinda like a circular saw blade).  Use a small piece of wood the same shape as the floor to anchor the wood as above.

If you would like, I can see about getting some sort of blueprint type thing together eventually, i.e. you should keep working on the ground floor until I can get them to you....
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2008 at 5:25am by Penthesilea »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I'm working from a floor plan and the CastleMolds site has a lot of instructional sheets including how to do multiple levels in a way that you can take them apart. I'm going to do the floors first since it will be easiest at this point and then make a ton of blocks!   Grin  The two buildings have a common wall and I was planning of having difference ceiling heights on each of the first floors. I'm going to use 1/2 inch square dowels for the ceiling supports. In scale, that is a 39 inch square beam and since they will be going the short way, they should support the weight since it will be resting mainly on the walls.

IP Logged

Warden Dike

Sanctuary Sorta-Newbie

Reply #44 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Post some pics when you can, so we may all see the progress.

Vengence Flies on Swift Wings
&&
League of Extraordinary Weirdos
&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
I will. I want to put a dark background behind the arch so it shows up instead of the microwave oven! I would have started on the Training Hall floor today were it not for the headache I've had all day. I'd have ended up gluing myself to the floor...

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #46 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Cheap black cloth from Wal*Mart and a movable clothes rack (another thing you can get at WallyWorld) and some safety pins.  Instant photography backdrop.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I have black cloth by the mile. I sew. I wear black. See where this is headed?  Grin
It is just a matter of getting enough space cleared away in my none to spacious kitchen to put up a backdrop.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Well, after much liberal use of sanding sponges, I finally got the marks removed from the floor are and I've gotten the first few rows of "Skinny Sticks" down. I'm scoring them about half way through with a coping saw to simulate the seams in a real hardwood floor and, of course since the width of the Training Hall does not equal two of the sticks laid end to end, I am having to cut pieces to fit. The effect looks good, very realistic. When I have a few more rows down and it is easier to see I'll take some pictures. Now that this part of the floor is underway, I'll get serious about the design of the floor of the Knights' Tower. It should be something "fitting" but I can't decide...

IP Logged

TheWomanMonster

A Lovely Little Monster.

Reply #49 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Penthesilea darling, if you ever need an artistic sort to bounce ideas off of just let me know okay.
It sounds marvelous so far, I cannot wait to see it! Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint