Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ghost Cat Hall (Read 2645 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Ghost Cat Hall
Nov 22nd, 2006 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
First, a bit of background. Ghost Cat Hall is a rather undistinguished single story manufactured house -- 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, full, unfinished basement, the usual. It was erected in 1985 on a site that was originally the back lot of a barn that had been built in the early 1900s and torn down about 10 years prior to the house being put in. The original farm house on the property still stands and has been in the hands of the same family for over half a century. It is surrounded by woods and wildlife and, unfortunately, encroaching civilization.
Ghost Cat Hall is unquestionably haunted as is the other house on the property to a lesser extent. The ghosts, however, are not threatening although they have been known to be noisy. And they purr...

Ghost Cat Hall is my house and its ghosts are the spirits of generations of beloved cats. I'll use this thread to record my experiences with my spirit cats in the hope that they will give comfort to any who grieve for a lost pet. My most recent experience was just last night. I was sitting here chatting on YaHoo with AmaKaliani when I heard the distinctive sound of a cat rubbing its face on the antenna wire that runs from the roof into the house about 15 feet from the front door. The War Queen is in the habit of doing this to let us know that she wants in. She will also do it if another of our cats wants in. Since she was outside, I assumed she wanted in and went to open the front door. I looked for the Queen. No cat. It was still light out and visibility was good. I went back to the computer and I heard the sound again and again, I opened the door. No cat. This went on for about half an hour before the sound stopped but not before I made sure the noise wasn't coming from the girls' rooms or some other source. I mentioned it to Kaliani and we continued with our conversation. I mentioned it to my Hubby this morning and he reminded me that Sassy, who died in late April, had started copying the War Queen's trick of wire rubbing before she died.

This is topic number 605, who would have thought it.

admin spelling edit...
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 4:23am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghost Cat Hall
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Something happened on Friday that Skywise just told me about. He was out in the front yard of the Guest House where he does his stargazing. He was getting his telescope set up when he saw a "cat shape' out of the corner of his eye. His brain said "cat" and he turned to look to see which one it was and there was nothing there. [Note that there isn't any cover to speak of there and the "cat" would not have had time to take cover anyway.] He looked around anyway and didn't find anything else that could account for what he saw.

Sassy was Skywise's usual stargazing companion.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Skywise and I were in the bedroom with the door closed this afternoon [the Lord of Samhain was asleep on the bed] when we heard a cat at the door. He got up to let the kitty in but when he opened the door, no kitty was there. The other three cats were accounted for.
Skywise says it was Sebastian, the Vampire Cat. The first anniversary of his death is next week.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Skywise and The Lord of Samhain were out star gazing last night when Skywise felt a cat poke him hard on the arm. He looked. His Little Lordship was in sight and there was no other cat in around. Skywise knew that it was Sebastian who had poked him. Skywise has always known that our dis-incarnated kitties come back whenever they can but our late little ones seem to be making an unmistakable point of making their presence known to him. They haven't manifested visibly in his direct line of sight -- yet -- and I won't be surprised when it happens.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Okay. More weirdness. At about 9:55 p.m. local, Skywise was sitting here googling when he felt a scratching sensation. He looked down and saw that his left arm was scratched. The scratches look (and felt to him) like cat scratches. I took a couple of pictures and we will get them downloaded and posted as soon as we are done scarfing down pizza. There were no [visible] cats near him and nothing else he could have scratched himself on. And the scratches are still there.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2007 at 7:06am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Okay, here are the pictures. Skywise reports that he also felt himself being scratched when it happened -- a bit more definite than I made it sound in the previous post. And he's been cat scratched often enough over the years to know what it feels like!

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2007 at 7:16am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
As an update, Skywise found another deep scratch on his thumb this morning while we were still in bed. It hadn't been there a few minutes prior and none of the "in body" cats were in the room. [This note is mostly for us. We're trying to keep track of these incidents and they don't always get written down and since I'm sitting here -- frequently! -- I'm jotting it down where it won't "get away."]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 12:01am
Print Post  
I keep thinking that I hear a cat clawing the back door screen. A habit all of the furkids have to let us know when they want in and the catdoor is closed. I just heard it and looked. No kitty. Or at least, none I could see....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Just an update on that mysterious scratch that appeared on Skywise's hand (see the above pictures). In all the years that our cats have used him as "kill practice", he has never developed a scar from a cat scratch. Until now. He has a nice, easily visible scar on his hand. When I can corral him, I'll see if I can get a picture.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
About 45 minutes ago, Skywise saw a black "cat shape" in the living room. He went to see which cat it was -- he thought it was his Lordship -- and there was no cat in the room. We've spent the last 45 minutes establishing that His Little Lordship is taking a long walk on this beautiful day and that the War Queen was outside at the time too. [Cue spooky music....]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
There have been two ghostly incidents recently, one on the 12th and the second one last night.
At about 11:30 p.m. on the 12th (about 13 hours after Mischief died) Skywise heard a noise at the back door.  It was the unmistakable sound of a cat plucking on the screen door. He opened the door to investigate since the War Queen and the SunLord were both inside. There was nothing there...  that he could see.
Plucking on the screen was how Mischief let us know that she was done rolling in the catnip bed (which is located right next to the back door) and was pleased to come in now to sleep it off..
The second incident occurred last night also around 11:30 pm, Skywise was at the upstairs computer, the War Queen was asleep on our bed (where I was listening to my iPod after finishing up the proofing of Book One) and the SunLord was asleep on the topmost level of the "kitty castle" we have set up in the living room. The house was pretty quiet so it was easy to hear things. Skywise heard a distinctive "rrruuurrrr" noise (that's as close as I can get to it. I know the sound well.) that seemed to be coming from the top of the basement stairs about six feet away. He immediately got up to check. Nothing there. Then he came and got me.  From the look on his face, I thought that something was wrong. He led me back to the stairs and told me what he had heard.  Having been in another room wearing headphones, I had heard nothing.
That "rrurrrrr" was Mischief's "signature" sound.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Skywise bought a new, rather thick book on Saturday.
He just took it up to read a bit before getting ready for work. It fell open to a section that he hasn't looked at yet, a picture. There, inside of the book, he found a cat hair banded in brown and black -- a tabby hair.  SunLord is an orange tabby.
Mischief was a brown tabby who was brushed religiously since she was prone to hacking up enormous hairballs if left to her own grooming. What are the chances that one of her hairs would appear inside a book that was brought into the house after her death?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
A little while ago, Skywise took the SunLord and the War Queen for a walk on the north side of our property. They were in a "wild" part of it when they heard a noise in the bushes. Skywise knew it wasn't a bird, it was too noisy. His first thought was "possum" but he didn't see one which he could have since there are no leaves on anything right now. Next thought was "possum or cat" followed by "Sam and Seb". The cats reacted to the sound too but when they reached the spot, there was no sign of anything and there wasn't enough cover for something to be hiding. A bit after that, they all heard something coming up behind them. Skywise looked behind him and saw nothing but his brain told him that it was Mischief.  SunLord and the War Queen heard and reacted to that sound as well and the Queen even went ahead to investigate. If she had found something, either an animal or a strange cat, she would have made her displeasure known.
Wishful thinking or the veil getting thin?
I prefer the latter explanation.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:22am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2009 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Skywise had another "ghost cat" experience last night. He was at the downstairs computer with the Prince of Midnight nearby when he saw a black cat out of the corner of his eye going up the stairs.  He looked and the Prince was still in the basement. Skywise made a very quick trip up the stairs and, not seeing a cat in the dining room, living room or kitchen, he buzzed into the bedroom where I was, mostly, asleep. He asked me where the War Queen was. I indicated his customary place on the bed. There was the Queen, sound asleep. She could not have been the cat on the stairs......
As a side note, a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting here while Moonie was in the kitchen. I saw her leaving the kitchen, walking toward me, out of the corner of my eye -- she was about six and a half feet away -- preceded by a black cat. I turned my head, intending to speak to the Prince but when I looked straight at them, the cat was gone. I told Moonie what I'd seen and she told me that she's been seeing a lot of "cats that aren't there" lately too. In another incident, while I was in the kitchen, I saw a flash of "calico" out of the corner of my eye.
Paranormal feline activity seems to be increasing around here. I'm wondering what it means.  It might be nothing or simply that we are more aware of it but I'm not convinced that is it. I think something is up. I just don't know what.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:19am
Print Post  
*cue spooky music*
Skywise just got home and he parked in the Guest House drive way.
When he got out of the car, he heard a man's voice say something. He couldn't make out what was being said. Then he heard a sound like a horse walking away. It's midnight. No horses out this late but this was a working farm once and horses were in use as draft animals back in those days....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint