Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47297 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Penthesilea's Renovation
Jan 2nd, 2007 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Be careful what you wish for around here.....  Roll Eyes

Briefly, I am 54 years old, medium frame and 5'6" tall and, as of this morning, I weigh 181.6 pounds. This is unacceptable for a number of reasons. One reason, and really the least important, is that I can't stand the way I look. My measurements are roughly in porportion and I carry my weight well but looking at myself does nothing for my self esteem. The second reason is the important one -- my health. During my pregnancy with MoonCat I developed gestational diabetes which was controlled with diet. My blood sugar levels returned to normal after MoonCat was born and I didn't have a reoccurance when I was pregnant with Spirit. This, added to the fact that both my mother's older sister and one of my dad's older sisters were diabetics, puts me at a significantly higher risk of developing full blown, insulin dependent diabetes. This does not appeal and I'm pretty sure that I'm already insulin resistant. Also, both my mother and her mother had high blood pressure. I have never had that problem but if I stay overweight, that could change. That also does not appeal.
So my choice is this. I can be at a more ideal weight, wear pretty/sexy clothes, be healthy and feel good about myself or I can be overweight, wear clothes I really don't like, take blood tests several times a day and give myself shots along with the Gods know what other medications and generally despise myself 'cause I know I could have avoided it all if I had taken care of myself.
Not much of a choice, really. I'll be starting my exercise programs this week and making some changes in my diet. So for the record:

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 181.6 pounds
Bust measurement: 42 inches
Waist measurement: 34 inches
Hip measurement: 43 inches

Keep me honest, my friends.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2011 at 5:21am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 1:35am
Print Post  
If you want to, sister.

Post #3,300
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2013 at 6:14pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 1:40am
Print Post  
You are a tad thin for your height but not too much so. 125 to 130 pounds is where I want to be or a size 12 whichever comes first. I was about that weight when I got married so it isn't an unrealistic goal.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2013 at 6:14pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 1:48am
Print Post  
I'd gladly give you some of mine if we could figure out how to do it!  Grin

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Well I suppose I should chime in too, since this is a concern of mine too...

Height - 5'4"
Weight - 202 lb (last time I checked)

I don't know my other measurements, and we don't have a cloth tape measure, but I wear a 40GG bra.  I've always had an hourglass shape, but even at my fittest I was still Rubanesque.  I need to get back down to 140 lb.  This has become a family concern recently, when Mog & I noticed she's developing a belly.  At 8 and a half, she should NOT be worrying about her size.  I figure part of it is all the sweet stuff we've had around the house thanks to the holidays, but I know a good chunk of it is the way we all eat.  We three have a bad habit of not only snacking a lot, but not having fruit & veggies on which to snack.  And then there's the fact that Mog is the only one who gets any real exercise... I'm always so damn wore out from work, and frankly, I hate exercising.  Love to swim, but no access to a pool this time of year.  I've got a Pilates DVD, but I feel silly doing it if anybody's around.  I'm going to see if I can talk Mog into doing it with me a few evenings a week, or see if she can get my tired butt out of bed early so we can work it in the mornings (I don't know HOW, but she's up - without her alarm - by 5:30 every morning!).  I've heard that exercising in the mornings is actually better for your energy levels - anyone know if that's true?

Penth, I don't know if I can keep you honest - I'm the resident chocoholic, remember? lol  But if you wanna send all your chocolate our way, I can help there! lol

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I'm managing to avoid the chocolate fairly well.   Grin And I hear you about exercising in front of anyone. LOL I'm so self conscious about it. It isn't so bad when it is just the girls but when the Hubby is around, I really can't which when you consider how long we've been together, is really silly. Mornings are usually chaotic around here so I don't know about exercising in the morning although it does make sense. Monday is my weight and measurement day so we will see what difference a change in eating habits has had.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Weigh in day:

Weight: 179.2 pounds
Bust measurement: 42.5 inches
Waist measurement: 32.75 inches
Hip measurement: 42.5 inches

I've lost 2.4 pounds.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Smiley Thank you. It helps to avoid potato chips and dip and cutting back on the M & Ms didn't hurt either.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a plan but SLATHER ON THAT SUNSCREEN, BLONDIE!!! We don't need you developing skin cancer!  Sad
I need to exchange my fat for muscle as well. I have space in the living room now -- the tree is down and the huge space heater is pushed out of the way so there is enough room to move without knocking anything over. If things go well, I'll be sweating out a yoga session while MoonCat uses the comp this afternoon...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
I got my yoga in. An hour and 10 minutes worth. Excuse me while I feel proud of myself. Hehehehehehe And Maggie "helped". MoonCat had to keep coming to get her. I broke a considerable sweat but it was a beginner's program so I wasn't that stressed. I'll see how I feel in the morning.  Grin

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:54am
Print Post  
Not too damn bad, Penth!  I finally broke out the Pilates DVD tonite. Only did the warm-up & cross-training - will save the ab-firming for when I know the dance routines a little better & don't feel so damn silly.  Grin  It feels a lot like tribal dance.  Mog tried to keep up with me, but she kept having to plop down on the couch & watch me.  We both did good, though.  Smiley

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:11am
Print Post  
I'm going to need to use the blocks and the strap for a while -- I can't reach my toes or the floor yet! -- but I'm more flexible than I would have thought.  I'm going to work with the Yoga for a while then mix it in with belly dancing. Once I am a little closer to my goal weight, I'll probably do some weight training to build strength and add definition.
Sounds like you and the Mog Monster did good too. The girls weren't interested in joining me although Maggie was!  Grin  Maybe they will later.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:12am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:28am
Print Post  
I'll bet that was fun, trying to do complicated balancing with a cat winding around yer feet...  Grin Lucky for us, Khan is a lazy fat Garfield.  Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Actually, Miss Maggie decided to lay underneath me while I was in "dog pose", park herself between my feet while I was doing "Warrior Pose" and just generally made herself comfortable on my yoga mat!!

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
And the figures are in!

Weight: 177.8 pounds
Waist measurement: 33 inches
Hip measurement: 42 inches 

I've lost 1.4 pounds

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 5:29am
Print Post  
YAY PENTH!!

Mog tried to convince me to do the Pilates DVD tonight, but considering she had to go to bed on time & I was wore out from work, I begged off.  I think we'll try to get back into it tomorrow nite.  Really.

YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I'm not real happy with myself. I didn't get any yoga in last week and now I have some lovely chest congestion. [I've found that, as a rule, being able to breathe helps when you are exercising.*snarl.*] Oh well. I'll get healthy and start over.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #18 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Brava to both of you!

Please don't forget that the first two weeks of any steady diet/exercise program causes you to lose water weight first, then you begin to convert fat to muscle, THEN you start to lose excess fat. So you may see 1.5-4.5lbs/wk for 2 weeks, then nothing for a bit, or even a weight gain! Go by how your clothes fit and you won't be far off in how you are really doing with it, ok?

Hugs to all!

As always,
Black_Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 7:15am
Print Post  
I go by the "tale of the tape" as much as what the scale says. I've been saying "Size 12 or 125 lbs -- whichever comes first!" I figure that if 36/26/36 was good enough for Marilyn Monroe, it is good enough for me!  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Well, the news wasn't as bad as I feared. I missed last week's weigh in but here are the numbers from the week before, which I didn't get posted. and this morning's numbers.

1/22/07
Weight: 177.6 pounds
Waist measurement: 32 inches

2/5/07
Weight: 177.8 pounds

That .2 pound gain could easily be water retention from the potato chips I was munching last night to keep from biting my nails until the Colts had the game put away....  Grin   Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I've missed a few weeks due to Real Life but I'm happy with this week's results. Most of the loss is in places that I can't snap a tape measure around -- my face and my fingers!

Weight: 173.2 pounds
Bust measurement: 41 inches

4.6 pounds lost since my last report.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2007 at 1:50pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
I've come to the conclusion that Sunday morning is much better for a weigh in than Monday. It is considerably less chaotic!!  Grin 

Weight: 171.8 pounds
Bust measurement: 41.5 inches
Waist measurement: 31.75 inches
Hip measurement: 41.5 inches   

1.4 pounds lost since last weigh in and I'm beginning to see some movement in the other numbers. My jeans are getting loose. Thank the Gods for belts!!  Smiley And I've lost 9.8 pounds since I started this thread.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2007 at 1:44pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #23 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Congradulations!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea