Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47298 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #150 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Smiley I started the process of sorting through not only my clothes but the girls' clothes too. I've barely made a dent and much "sorting and trying on" will need to be done before I'm finished. Spirit doesn't much care for the trying on process so we'll have to do hers a few pieces at at time. I'm hoping that by the time the "sorting/trying on" is done my sewing area will be ready and I'll be able to start adding to my wardrobe.

I used the stepper today but didn't last as long as previously. The twinge in my left ankle was my signal to stop. Of course the multiple trips up and down the stairs should count for something!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #151 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I did my weigh in/measuring this morning and while my weight isn't varying by much, my measurements are starting to drop which means I AM getting somewhere. Fat weighs less than muscle but takes up more "room." Muscle weighs more but is more compact so one's measurements are a more reliable indicator of whether or not your exercise program is working than the bathroom scale is, at least to start. Muscle also has the virtue of burning calories so the more of it you have, the more calories you will use in the course of a day. Fat doesn't do anything except sit there and expand. I expect the numbers on the bathroom scale to decline eventually, I just don't know when.

I got something this morning that I've wanted since I was a teenager and was never able to have -- a black, traditionally styled trench coat, courtesy of L.L. Bean. It's an indulgence since I just got a three season raincoat, but it's classic, stylish and will be perfectly suitable if I need a somewhat "dressy" spring/summer coat. So with this new addition, my raincoat and my two winter coats (one for "normal" weather and one I call "the blizzard from Hell" coat) I'm pretty much set as far as coats are concerned. I'm going to make myself a couple of light duty jackets for days when I need another layer but a coat would be too much but other than that, I'm good. (Marks "coats" as completed on the "Need to Get" wardrobe list.)

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #152 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
*sigh* Late, VERY late, last night, Skywise discovered that a drain pipe from the larger of our two bathrooms was leaking and the drips were dangerously close to my sewing machine.  Smiley I was in bed but I grabbed my shoes and got downstairs as quick as I could to move everything that could be damaged by water, including my sewing machine, out of the "danger area" so once again my dance/exercise studio is being used as a storage area. Fortunately, I can still use the stepper so the strengthening of my legs generally and my thighs specifically can continue. *sigh* I won't be putting my sewing machine back under that pipe even after Skywise patches it so clearing out the area for my new "sewing center" just got more urgent.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #153 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 1:53am
Print Post  
What with getting Book 2 into Amazon's epublishing pipeline, I haven't exercised as much as I've wanted to but on the plus side, while the numbers on the scale haven't gone down much, the "tale of the tape" is very encouraging. My waist is showing the most improvement with my hips and chest running neck and neck. Of course, I'd rather not lose too much off my chest! I guess I'll have to build up the underlying muscles to compensate!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #154 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I've finally managed to convince my body that a reduction in calories does not mean that a famine is in progress!! I've started to lose weight at an acceptable and safe rate. You can't SEE that I'm losing weight yet but it IS coming off and I expect my jeans will be looser relatively soon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #155 - May 15th, 2013 at 12:47am
Print Post  
I haven't updated this in a while but the sarcoidosis really kicked my posterior during March and April. I'm pretty sure it is what sent me to the ER but since the symptoms had disappeared by the time the EMTs got here, there's no proving it. I still look like I have patches of odd looking "acne" on my arms and legs but it isn't hideously noticeable and thank the Gods, I don't have any of the "facial variety" which DOES look hideous. I know 'cause I had it for several years back in the late 80's and early 90's. The scars took years to fade. Anyway, the spells of lightheadedness have stopped and the dehydration is under control and since Skywise finally got our hayfield of a yard mowed down to size and we aren't having downpours every other day, it's time to grab my cd player and start walking. I'm going to have to get my weight set and the stepper out of the corner and get busy with them too. I've achieved an "hourglass figure" which pleases me. Unfortunately my hourglass has more "sand" in it than I'm really happy with so I'm heading back into my home gym. I'll still be a "plus size" when I reach my goals but I don't want to be a "stick" either. Curves are fun, especially when you're naked. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2013 at 2:16pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #156 - May 28th, 2013 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I didn't get much walking done since my last entry -- vacation and all -- but I did lose a little more weight. I unearthed one of my knee braces today and I'll be using it starting tomorrow. I'll be interested to see if it helps extend my time on the stepper. That would be a big help since most of the weight I want to lose is located in my jeans sad to say.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #157 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I replaced my bathroom scale yesterday after it went nuts on me. I knew darn good and well that I didn't lose 8.5 pounds in one week! I checked my weight this morning and it didn't show any loss last week but no gain either which is a minor miracle since I went on an Oreo Double Stuf cookie binge. Well, it might not have counted as a binge for most people but it did for me! Anyway, the cookies are gone and if Spirit gets any more, I'm staying out of them!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #158 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Okay, I have a feeling that the weight is going to be coming off faster. Skywise has been ordered to reduce his sodium intake to 2000 mg or less because of his blood pressure and I'm doing the same 'cause both my mother and grandmother had high blood pressure. The biggest thing is the elimination of American cheese from the diet which means NO MORE DOUBLE CHEESEBURGERS! *sob* Pickles are out too. I'm not a big "pickle fan" but Skywise is but he's manfully making the sacrifice for his health. A lot of his favorites in the pantry is going to have to go too.....

I'm currently going through the "nutrition facts" tables of every "fast food" place that we eat at and picking out what we can eat. Some places, we won't be able to eat at at all because of the amount of sodium in EVERYTHING. *sigh* No more "movie" popcorn either.
The website I've found to be the most helpful is this one.

http://www.fastfoodnutrition.org/

It has all the majors and a lot of the regionals and includes some restaurants that you might not think of as "fast food." It makes the job of comparing one chain's sandwich to another chain's sandwich a lot easier.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #159 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Word to the wise. If you're concerned about sodium, don't eat at Arby's.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #160 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
I hadn't really noticed but I was looking back through my records and hard as it is for me to believe, I've lost 14 pounds since the first of the year! Smiley
It's not coming off at breakneck speed but it's coming off and staying off. Oh there are fluctuations from week to week but the overall trend is down and I weigh less now than I have in years. It isn't showing up a LOT in my measurements although everything is smaller but my face is thinner and so are my fingers (I have to be careful that my rings don't slide off when I wash my hands.) and my tummy most closely resembles a half deflated beach ball these days. Not terribly attractive at the moment but if my skin doesn't "shrink to fit" once I'm done losing, I will probably be looking into finding a surgeon to "take in the slack." I'm still working on the "low sodium" diet and I expect to get more done when we stop running from doctor to doctor to dentist and we can catch our breath! I don't have a killer body yet but I'm slowly surely getting there!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #161 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 1:10am
Print Post  
The knees really don't like the stepper but they like lunges and the stationary bike even less and as long as this heat/humidity is in force, walking probably isn't a good idea so..... the stepper is the torture of choice for the lower body which is where most of the excess "sand" in my hourglass figure is located. I want a hot body and diet alone ain't gonna get me there. I did a bit over three and a half minutes tonight before my quads informed me that if I wanted to get back upstairs, I'd better quit right then. I'll try for more tomorrow. At the moment, I'm considering bringing the stepper upstairs so I can use it in odd moments and not have to worry about getting back up here. Also, space is at a premium downstairs and I want to get going on the weight training too. The upper body also needs to be sculpted and all that equipment is shoved into a corner which is NOT acceptable. Right now, it looks like the kitchen might be the best place for the stepper. I'll decide tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #162 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 3:43am
Print Post  
I lost a little more weight since my last weigh in which was mid-week. The stepper is still downstairs since I haven't made room for it in the kitchen yet. I put in some time on it today. Not a lot but more than yesterday. The quads are complaining, the ankles are swearing and the hamstrings aren't all that happy either but they'll get used to it, probably quicker than the knees will. The legs are home to the largest muscles in the body and, for me, where most of my excess weight is holding court. Getting them built up and the fat pared off will go a long way toward getting my weight where I want it to be.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #163 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I must be doing something right. Everything from the waist down is sore, including the muscles in my butt. And yes, I'll be on the stepper again today.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #164 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I was able to use the stepper longer tonight than previously and starting out, it didn't hurt as much. I also lost a little more weight since my last report. It was less than a pound (my digital scale measures your weight in "even numbered" 10ths of a pound) but the loss took me down into another "whole number" and I'm taking pride in every victory, no matter how small because for a long damned time, the only way the numbers were going was UP and to say that was damned discouraging is an understatement!

On a side note: Skywise reported this morning that he's lost 14 pounds in the last 21 days. I believe it. His gut is noticeably smaller. The change in eating habits (less sodium and smaller meals generally) and a certain amount of worry are responsible. I'm still in 'recipe research' mode and I'm hoping to be able to feed him a little better and bigger portions soon. I don't want him to get TOO thin!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #165 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Used the stepper tonight but not as long as last night. I wanted to work just enough to keep from getting (too) stiff and that's what I did. Tomorrow I'll try to improve on Monday's time which was 5 minutes.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #166 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 1:52am
Print Post  
I have taken a dose of aspirin in the hope that it will quiet the grumbling coming from the muscles in my posterior. *sigh* No one said that getting into shape was easy or pain-free.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #167 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I put in my time on the stepper this evening and thankfully, my muscles didn't complain too much. Certain joints **cough cough knee cough cough** did lodge some complaints which were noted, logged and filed in the circular file. I'm hoping that losing weight and strengthening my leg muscles will eventually ease the pain in my knees. It can't hurt, right? The Gods know that "resting" and staying off my feet hasn't worked!

I got a copy of the current Muscle & Fitness Hers today. I'm not planning to turn "pro" but the pictures of the bikini competitors are inspirational and motivating and I need all of both that I can get when everything is hurting....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #168 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I lust unashamedly for this dress. I can NOT however, justify the expense since I have no where to wear it and it IS being sold as a "goth wedding dress." And, to be truthful, if I were able to justify the expense, I'd want it in BLACK and silver rather than white and silver to qualify in my mind as a "goth" dress.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #169 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I have taken aspirin and I'm skipping the stepper again tonight.
Why?
Because I STILL hurt from last night's trek to the park. I am SO out of condition it's pathetic! Being barely able to walk for the last year or so has a lot to do with it but it's no excuse. Back on the stepper tomorrow....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #170 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:32am
Print Post  
If my jeans were as loose as my rings, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, they aren't but at least almost everything -- like my hips, the back of my knees and my ankles for crying out loud! -- has stopped hurting from Saturday's hike to the park so I'll be getting on the stepper later. The only parts still hurting are the ones that always hurt so it's time to get back "in the saddle." I wanted to get outside and walk today but the humidity was just too high for me to breathe comfortably. *sigh* So I stayed in and indulged in a minor sulk about it while I worked on the cookbook.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #171 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Used the stepper. Made my goal. Found the pattern for the soon to be notorious black spandex jumpsuit although I "might" have to get another sewing machine to make it. Unlike my current machine, my previous sewing machine had a stitch that stretched so I could sew interesting things like lycra spandex. I'll have to investigate the options. I "do" have time after all.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #172 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:50pm:
I lust unashamedly for this dress. I can NOT however, justify the expense since I have no where to wear it and it IS being sold as a "goth wedding dress." And, to be truthful, if I were able to justify the expense, I'd want it in BLACK and silver rather than white and silver to qualify in my mind as a "goth" dress.

I am pleased. I've found a "Special Occasion" dress pattern that has the same basic neckline and off the shoulders sleeve as the goth wedding dress. It doesn't have the long flowy inner sleeve but that can be added without too much difficulty. Ditto the skirt and overskirt. [Yeah, I'm that good when I have the materials, the space and the time.] I'll pick up a copy the next time I'm in Walmart...

Edited to add a better picture.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2013 at 5:45am by Penthesilea »  

1875-2.jpg ( 78 KB | Downloads )
1875-2.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #173 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I ache -- which isn't unexpected but it is still a pain, literally.

I got the above mentioned pattern today and combined with one I got over the weekend, I should be able to come up with a dress that comes very close to the one I saw on facebook but I'm not going to even think about making it until I'm at my "target weight" and have done a lot of studying on the patterns. I'll definitely be making a "practice" dress out of relatively inexpensive material before tackling the real project which I'm thinking of making out of black taffeta.....

I might have to get married again....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #174 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:57am
Print Post  
I walked today (Thursday) instead of using the stepper. Walking isn't as strenuous as using the stepper and some extra muscles get worked into the bargain so I was able to exercise longer, work on building up my endurance and got some fresh air to sweeten the deal. I know I didn't get "this way" overnight and can't expect to rectify the situation quickly but I "do" wish I'd lose some noticeable inches where I can see them instead of fractions of an inch all over. Although I have noticed that the beginnings of a double chin I was developing have disappeared for which I am pathetically and humbly grateful.

NOW can I please go down a pant size or two?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint