Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47380 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #175 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
On Thursday, I bought a skin care product that is supposed to reduce fine lines around the eyes and fade the dark circles under the eyes. Since I have very fair skin and very dark circles, I tend to look like I'm getting over a couple of black eyes most of the time. My glasses disguise this somewhat but they're still visible. I haven't had much luck with eye creams in the past but this product is new so I said, what the heck and got it. I used it for the first time Thursday night and again last night and this morning, Skywise -- who looks at me more than I look at myself -- said that the circles under my eyes are much less noticeable than they were which is what I'd thought but I wanted an unbiased second opinion! I'm wearing it now -- use is recommended morning and night -- along with a moisturizer by the same company as my skin has informed me that more attention needs to be paid to it or ELSE! *sigh* At least I've found a product line that seems to be working for me.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013 at 5:35pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #176 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 5:51am
Print Post  
I was bad and didn't use the stepper over the weekend so I HAD to use it today (Monday) even if it WAS after midnight. It did not feel particularly good but I made my goal for the session. One thing that helped was imagining the reactions of certain people to the sight of me in a black, spandex jumpsuit looking hotter than hell......  Smiley

This is a picture of the jumpsuit pattern envelope. It isn't a very good picture but it's a very old pattern. I'll be making the long sleeved one and I'll probably add an intriguing keyhole cutout in the neighborhood of my cleavage.....

Jumpsuit.JPG ( 21 KB | Downloads )
Jumpsuit.JPG

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #177 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Used the stepper and it was NOT comfortable but I made my goal so I'll take aspirin later and not complain.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #178 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 3:00am
Print Post  
I made my "stepper goal" this evening without too much difficulty. My weight isn't going down much at the moment but muscle weighs more than fat and I "think" that I'm beginning to trade some of my fat for muscle. It isn't showing up yet but giving up isn't in the cards so I'll be keeping at it. This time next year, I'll be pale, thin and healthy.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #179 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 3:28am
Print Post  
I haven't been on the stepper much this week but I'm hoping to get on it yet tonight since Skywise won't be home for about another 4 hours Smiley Now that I've got all the sodium information transferred from various websites and nutrition information sheets into a reasonably comprehensive word document, I'll have a bit more time to torture myself on the stepper. I still haven't gotten the weights unearthed so that's the next "must get done" project. *sigh* This high blood pressure thing has completely disrupted my summer plans. I did NOT intend to spend hours on collecting nutrition data, revising my recipe book and figuring out how to remodel my kitchen!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #180 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Well, the stepper broke last week and I don't know if Skywise will be able to fix it or not. If not, I'll need to get another one because, as I told Skywise today while using the stepper was by no means "comfortable" the next day, my knees hurt less. This confirms my suspicion that my "knee problems" have more to do with muscles than joints.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #181 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 8:54pm:
I ache -- which isn't unexpected but it is still a pain, literally.

I got the above mentioned pattern today and combined with one I got over the weekend, I should be able to come up with a dress that comes very close to the one I saw on facebook but I'm not going to even think about making it until I'm at my "target weight" and have done a lot of studying on the patterns. I'll definitely be making a "practice" dress out of relatively inexpensive material before tackling the real project which I'm thinking of making out of black taffeta.....

I might have to get married again....

Although "who" I would marry since Skywise and I have tied the knot once already I don't know but I can think of a male person or two who would get a positive response were "the Question" to be asked!  Smiley
The design is coming along and so far it is very dark and "gothy" although there will be NO spiders, webs or skulls involved. But it WILL be black and silver and have points of similarity to the white goth wedding dress that got me started on this train of thought..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #182 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I am insane but happy. First up, Skywise was able to repair the stepper so I'll be torturing myself later. Secondly after some false starts and getting some patterns that I won't need for the project, I found THIS dress pattern which when done up in black and silver, with sleeves like the previously pictured white "goth" wedding dress will fully realize my vision of the dress that Our Heroine (in my books for those of you living under a rock) wears to her Tarikavah Rite. The pattern coming today, done up in black with a center panel of dark green, is the dress she wore to the reception after her handfasting and another dress is the infamous "birthday dress" from Book 1. Yeah, and I'm insane because I'm going to make all three of them. Who knows, maybe I'll enter them in the county fair's sewing competition and win a blue ribbon.....
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:13pm by Penthesilea »  

Tarikavah_dress.jpg ( 72 KB | Downloads )
Tarikavah_dress.jpg

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #183 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
THAT is gorgeous Penth!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #184 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Yes it is. I fell in love with it the instant I saw it. I've decided that Uni wants me to have it since the pattern is out of print (how far out, I have no idea but the McCall's site had no record of it) and Amazon didn't have it. But I found a vendor who had it in my size so I swallowed hard and ordered it. The seller is in Georgia so I'm hoping to have it next week sometime. It will be a testament to my insanity that I'll start gathering things like trim, zippers and boning as soon as I get the pattern but I'm NOT going to make it up until my body can do justice to it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #185 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 12:37am
Print Post  
I used the stepper tonight and made my goal plus a little more so the layoff didn't hurt me any. I also think that the tension might be a little looser than it was but that's okay. I still had to work hard for it and if I was able to work a little longer, it all evens out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #186 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 2:56am
Print Post  
I found this fabric online at the Joann fabric site and I love it. Even better, it's over $10 a yard cheaper than what I was looking at earlier today plus, it doesn't require dry cleaning. I went back to the site and got a little more information. The outfit is separates -- a skirt and top -- which "should" make it easier to sew. Also the "front panel" is actually an underskirt (or the outer part is an overskirt. Take your pick.) that I will probably make out of taffeta which will give it a bit of body and a nice "rustle" when I move. Yeah, I'm looking forward to making this dress and it will probably have its own thread in "Athena's Guild."
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2013 at 3:03am by Penthesilea »  

xprd386598_m.jpg ( 95 KB | Downloads )
xprd386598_m.jpg

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #187 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Pretty!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #188 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
We'll be on vacation next month and I'm going to schedule some time to go to the JoAnn's in Greenwood and see if they have that fabric in the store. Unless it is something I'm very familiar with I like to select fabric "in person" rather than order it online. Check the weight of it and the weave and see how prone it is to raveling out. Getting the care instructions off the end of the bolt is a good idea too. And, if the Gods decree that it is ON SALE when I find it, I just may go ahead and get it. I can store it downstairs in one of those really big Zip-Loc storage bags and then in a reasonably tight storage box. hehehe I might even put a sachet in with the fabric -- a "love blend" of course!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #189 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Now that the wardrobe has its own thread, I'll get back to talking about diet and exercise here.

I'm disappointed. I was not able to make my stepper goal tonight due to knee/shin pain. I'd hoped that taking a couple of days off would help but it hasn't. So, about an hour or so before tomorrow's session, I'll be taking aspirin. *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #190 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Taking the aspirin helped. I made my goal without TOO much pain. There was some, no denying it, but not so much that I had to stop so it was all good. Skywise was looking at kettleballs when we were in Walmart on Monday but I really don't think we have room enough to use them unless we did it outdoors. Visions of shattered televisions and/or computers keep intruding. I believe that we'll be sticking to the stepper and the weight sets for now.

And when I get the exercise area cleared out AGAIN Smiley I intend to start "classic" Pilates with none of the "non-Pilates" moves that sometimes get thrown in to appease those who think that they can improve on the time tested system. I need something that will NOT stress my knees but WILL work everything that needs to be worked. Pilates looks to be able to do that. So as soon as I can, I'll be doing that in addition to using the stepper and the weights.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #191 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:09am
Print Post  
I hauled the exercise bike up the stairs, out of the house and up to the Guest House this morning. There's no room for it in the basement at present and I needed it out of the way so I can get the exercise area cleared out and set up -- AGAIN. *sigh* I found some missing pieces to a weight set while I was rummaging around in the closet in my old bedroom and I'm gonna take that as a good sign.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #192 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Skywise said this past weekend that once he's retired and money isn't so tight (mortgage will be paid off then) and I've lost significant weight, we'll be able to afford some "work" if it's needed to "take up the slack" in my skin. Even with slow weight loss, the skin doesn't always "shrink to fit" the new figure and what is the point (yeah, yeah, I know! Health benefits!) of having a killer body if it's hidden under flaps of loose skin? So.... I have more motivation...

Yeah, he's feeling a little guilty 'cause all he has to do is stop eating everything in sight and the excess weight falls off of him while I have to work like hell -- through sometimes considerable knee/leg pain -- to lose a pound.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #193 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 3:00am
Print Post  
I was finally able to use the stepper tonight. The persistent, "I've pulled something!" pain in my backside has finally subsided so I felt safe -- as in not making it worse "safe" -- in climbing on it tonight. I exceeded my most recent best time so I'm pleased. I'll probably ache in the morning but that's okay.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #194 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Weight wise I seem to have "plateaued." I know why. I've been paying more attention to what Skywise has been eating than to my own diet. I haven't been eating enough to keep the body from going into "starvation mode" and that's what's happened and now my body is hanging on for dear life to every milligram of fat currently stored in various spots around my anatomy. *sigh* So I'm going to have to eat whether I feel like it or not and most of the time lately, I haven't felt like it. Still, Skywise has dangled a tempting carrot in front of my nose -- the promise that once I have a killer body, we'll see about getting any "reconstructive" surgery [a.k.a. "taking up the slack"!] that I may need. He also mentioned something about "building up" certain areas if I've lost too much weight from those spots.  Smiley I'll admit that idea has appeal. I rather like filling out my bras and would like to continue to do so! So.... it's been a while since breakfast. I guess I'd better go eat....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #195 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I had a good session on the stepper last night. I know it was good because a.) there was no pain, just fatigue and b.) this afternoon I have pain but it is of the "you worked out nearly to "failure" last night, didn't you?" type. Which is the kind of pain I want. So tonight will be my "rest day" and tomorrow I'll set my goal and do it again.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #196 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Good session on the stepper tonight. I made my goal and exceeded it by a couple of minutes. I might have been able to go for a few minutes longer but I want to build up slowly. The Gods know that I've been too impatient before and paid for it with injury and months long layoffs while I healed. So, easy does it but keep moving forward...
Again, tonight there wasn't any pain, just fatigue and "fatigue" I can do. I'm hoping that I'll "slip off" this plateau I'm on and start losing weight again. As it is, I have 58 pounds to go and the combination of eating a bit more so the body gets out of "starvation mode" and slowly increasing exercise "should" get things moving in the right direction.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #197 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 3:09am
Print Post  
The legs have been complaining bitterly today but I'm going to put in some time on the stepper later anyway. I don't know if I'll make my goal but I don't want to wait another day for the pain to ease off. It's just muscle soreness and not joint pain so I'm going to push through since my knee joints seem to hurt less when I'm able to exercise.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #198 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Normally I'd use the stepper tonight but I've been on my feet a lot the last couple of days, including climbing stairs, and I think that should probably count! Especially the stairs part! I "did" notice while I was climbing those stairs that it was a bit easier to do than it has been so I think that I may be showing some slight improvement.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #199 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:44am
Print Post  
I didn't do as much walking today as I did on Saturday and Sunday but the conditions were more hot and humid. Skywise kept a close eye on me so I didn't get sick again like I did on Saturday. Tomorrow is going to be the hottest yet and we're making the drive to Louisville which is 2.5 hours each way. Yes, there will be a lot of water bottles in the cooler in the back...
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:54am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Send TopicPrint