Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic All Paths Are Not Created Equal (Read 668 times)
Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

All Paths Are Not Created Equal
Feb 13th, 2007 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Nor should they be!  Grin

I'd like to say a few words about the various paths we follow.

Even though I myself have spent over 36 years studying and learning about faith and religion, I will be the first to say I don't know everything, or even most of everything. Some paths I personally have huge differences with or totally reject for myself as being immoral, destructive, blind, or too limited in one way or another. There are many paths I judge as totally wrong for me. There are paths that make me feel dirty, or squeamish, or disgusted. There are paths that make me feel connected, fulfilled, enlightened. There are paths that make me feel silly and immature. There are paths that make me feel empty.

The thing to remember about all these varied paths is that for someone, they are the right path, whether I like it or not.

I don't have to like it, or even agree with it. BUT I MUST RESPECT IT.

Why? Well, the simple answer would be that these are the forum rules. If I wish respect for my path, I must respect others' paths as well.

It's ok for me to disagree with a path or practice without disrespecting it or it's practitioners. It's ok for me to ask questions about a path to cure my ignorance. It's ok for me to share the differences between my path and someone else's. What is not ok is to say things that make someone feel bad, or attacks their person, or insults someone's intelligence. The best way to for me to say something that disagrees with someone else's views it to say that "I feel that *whatever* isn't right for me" because of whatever reason. Or that "I disagree with *whatever* because of *whatever personal reason* for me". That sort of phrasing/wording takes what could be seen as a personal attack, and turns it into what it should be--my personal opinion for me.

I would like to see folks in here be very careful to make sure that if they happen to have a disagreement with a path or practice, that they use words that make it clear that the disagreement is with a practice/path FOR THEMSELVES, not a denigration of a particular individual or group of individuals. We all have sensitive spots where our faith is concerned, because it is so deeply personal, and it is very easy to take a general opinion or general statement VERY personally.

So I would like to see those sharing their paths exercise tolerance for those opinions that disagree with their own, as hard as that can be. Try to give the benefit of the doubt if you feel insulted, and attempt to clarify what the poster meant before jumping to be defensive. I promise, if there is real disrespect going on, we will NOT tolerate it, and the problem will be solved.

Similarly, retaliatory sniping or disrespect here won't be tolerated either. It makes a lot more sense to make sure you understand what someone really meant than to jump and be wrong and cause hard feelings. We want everyone to feel safe here, not just a few people with a lot to say. There are no favorites, there are no outcasts. Everyone is equal here.

So please, feel free to share, learn, and grow together.

As always,
Black_Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint