Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Living with Autism -- My View (Read 1630 times)
MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Living with Autism -- My View
Feb 15th, 2007 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Living with autism is hell. There are some things rattling around in my brain that I cannot express because I don't know how and when it is out of my brain, it all comes out wrong. Autism has made me a pariah to society. I knew a boy, whose appearance is as hideous as his soul, who hated me for no good reason other than the fact that my brain is not wired the same way as his is. (For which I am very grateful!) I don't know how he found out about my condition or where he got the idea that autistic people are mentally retarded, but regardless of how it happened, I was his chosen target for his bullying. We rode on the same school bus, so you can imagine horrible it was going to school and coming back home. He would yell obscenities, give me the bird, and constantly asks me why I was not riding in the "special" bus with people worse off than me. Then there was that horrid little girl hated me and my family for no reason whatsoever beside for the sake of hatred. The bus driver, the vice principal (That fat, bloated, disgusting, loathesome pig.), and most of the people who were suppossed to prevent this from happening, never did a thing. It was as if society has chosen to reject me instead of helping me. Oh, I had Special ED and Speech Therapy at school, but once I step back into the Real World, I was at the non-existant mercy of those who hate me simply because I was not euthanised when I was diagnosed with autism. I am homeschooled now, thank the Gods. I try to live my life as best as I can, but I am daily reminded of the paths I did not take because of my autism and I regret every moment of it. Sometimes I wonder if I had become a burden to my parents, who are growing old. Will I ever be able to live on my own? I wonder if I am wasting my life on the path I'm currently on...  Cry

Cleaning house with the Dustbuster2!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Re: Living with Autism -- My View
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Sweety, you are not a burden, nor are you "defective".

You are not a mistake, or cursed, or unloved.

What I see when I read your writing is a loving, articulate, sensitive, intelligent young woman. I read your writing before I knew you live with the challenges of autism.

I believe you can learn to do whatever you need to to be whatever you need to be.

Growing up, I always wanted to be one of those people that everything comes to easily, who never seem to have trouble with the system, who never seem to get picked on for anything and always have tons of friends. Who always seem to get the good grades, the admiration of adults, the opportunities to do all the "cool" stuff.

As I got older, I found out some other things about those types of people. They never seem to grow up. They never seem to acquire any sensitivity to others. They never grow beyond themselves, or become adults with any depth at all. They actually have poor lives because they never develop the ability to really connect with or love anyone other than themselves. They remain ignorant of most of what life really has to offer. They stay pretty much exactly the same as they were in middle and high school. I think that's pretty sad. I have learned to pity these poor, ignorant souls, as they miss most of what life has to offer, and can never really experience happiness, because they never achieve enough personal depth to feel real loss either. They simply don't have the capacity to understand the hurt they have inflicted, nor do they have the capacity to care or be cared about very deeply.

You are the blessed one hon, you experience more of life in one day than these ignorant souls have in a whole lifetime. It doesn't make any of this easier at all, of course. With great capacity to feel and understand comes great capacity to be hurt, and usually the need to struggle greatly for your achievements. Thank goodness we are all different. I know I wouldn't want to go through life blinded and deafened by an incapacity to love or understand. Book learning isn't the be-all and end-all of life and living. You do not have to be a corporate success to be a success in life. Do what you love, and find a way to make it a life work hon. You can do whatever you need to do to make it happen and succeed in your life for you. Autism is another way of saying "sensitive to different things than most". It doesn't mean stupid, or incapable of life. It means that different things work differently for you, and that sometimes you have to work a little harder to be recognized in a cookie-cutter world. Don't make the mistake of agreeing with other people's labels for you. They need a label to try and pigeonhole your qualities for their own comfort. The label isn't the substance of who you are. You alone can define that, and definitions change over time. Be who you are, find a way for the things you love to do to bring you security in life, and don't worry about how anyone else perceives you. Those who really care will find out for themselves exactly who you are and value you for it. Everyone else can go fly a kite! Wink

((HUGS))

As always,
Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Thank you! *Gives Black Rose a great, big HUG!* To tell you the truth, I was thinking of writing an expose' on that school's poor treatment of students who are less fortunate than others. (The name of the school is withheld due to security reasons.) Nice to know that I am truly blessed. I think the world would be a better place if everyone just take the time to appreciate the life they have and the lives of others around them. It's nice to know that high-functioning autistic people like me can actually be a voice to those who cannot speak. I am always close to my cats. I tend to see them as members of my family. I always believed that the animals who live here have the right to, well, live here. I have considered them neighbors more than the humans around here! We rarely see our human neighbors. Our animal neighbors on the other hand, seem to like to make themselves known! I tend to tell it like it is, since keeping my feelings hidden tends to irratate me. Thank you, again.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I empathize, Mooncat.

It is very difficult to be so different from the mainstream.  One of the universals in the run of humanity is the capacity for stupidity, and the treatment of people who are different is one of the truths of that capacity.
Smiley
I agree with Black Rose in saying you are not a mistake, or cursed, or anything.  You are what you are, what you should be, however difficult.  Being different is not the same as being less, the path you're on is no less true for being more rare.  It is obvious from what I have read of you that you are a good person, and that's the most important thing to be.  I can say that I'm happier being an admitted freak than being the more usual cruel, bigoted, or judgemental.  The problems I've had because of my own miswired brain are much smaller in scale, but enough to let me empathize, if not necessarily understand.

Different is one of the hardest, most valuble and necessary paths to walk, because the world can be cruel.  I offer up the quote, "Whatever it is you may be, be sure to be a good one".  Gods bless your path, whichever one it ends up being.

((hugs))
Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:27am by Salanthos »  

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Thank you. As I told my Dad last night when he said that he wondered if he is being a good father, " I haven't committed any crimes yet and neither did my sister. So, you're doing a good job." I try to be good person everyday. I behave myself on the internet and actually use good grammer and correct spelling. You can say I'm more well-behaved and mature than some of the people I have met on the internet. It's a sad state of affairs when a high functioning autistic person takes the time to make sure that the spelling is correct and the text is at least understandable while a "normal" person disregards all the simple concepts like spellcheck and type something that will make avocates of Proper English cringe in horror. Not to mention that said autistic person actually minds their manners! It's so good for you to share your thoughts with me. you don't know how much it means to me. I hope to hear more from you!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
MoonCat wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:59pm:
I try to be good person everyday. I behave myself on the internet and actually use good grammer and correct spelling. You can say I'm more well-behaved and mature than some of the people I have met on the internet.

You definately come across as a good person, well-mannered and polite.  The anonymity of computers means I'd be more willing to trust what I see online of a person's character, and you really show your maturity.
Smiley
It's a sad state of affairs when a high functioning autistic person takes the time to make sure that the spelling is correct and the text is at least understandable while a "normal" person disregards all the simple concepts like spellcheck and type something that will make avocates of Proper English cringe in horror. Not to mention that said autistic person actually minds their manners!

Oh, yeah, the horrors being visited on the english language in the name of "chatspeak" or, worse, "leetspeak" are simply atrocious.  SmileyIt puzzles me, since online everyone must be judged solely by their words, why people would want to present themselves like *that*.  But I guess it's how we know to avoid such people.
Smiley
I hope to hear more from you!

Anytime Smiley

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint