Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic fakers/whatever (Read 1383 times)
person of shadow

Serenity Newbie

fakers/whatever
Mar 31st, 2007 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Ok, I don't honestly know much about the 'goth culture'. I've been called goth(before I had to hide my dark cloths and beautiful jewlery Cry )But Honestly I'm not. I'm not faking either! I wear these things because I love these things. I wear this stuff, yes for feelings. I wear them not for you to look at me and say " She is seriously screwed up" I hate it when I hear the whispers and laughs.
How can one honestly label themselves something if they are always told their wrong?

Anyways sorry, I just had to say this and hope that someone gets what I mean. I guess this post isn't even a good reason to start a thread, Oh well.

Does anyone else have anything to add, or to say?
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2007 at 7:46pm by person of shadow »  
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: fakers/whatever
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
(((HUGS))) I get what you mean. I wear black because I like it. Skywise -- the hubby -- likes me in black as well and that is a really BIG plus. I wear silver and onyx jewelry because I like it and I think that black nail polish looks beautifully elegant. I'm a Scorpio so "sex, death and transformation" have always been fascinating subjects for me. [Pluto in my First House makes it worse....  Grin ]  Does that make me Goth? Well, to some people it does and I really don't care one way or the other. The people who know me, who really, REALLY know me, know that "one label does NOT describe Penth!" As for the rest, as long as they aren't in a position to disrupt my RL or that of my family, I don't care what anyone calls me. [Start messing with my RL, however, and there will be trouble.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 6:29am
Print Post  
I understand completely!

I was a goth before "Goth" existed. As you can imagine, I got a lot of looks and whispers as well, mostly of the "she's SO weird" type. I did allow this to isolate me for a few years until I understood that no matter what I choose to wear, or how I choose to act, there will ALWAYS be people unsatisfied with my choices, and rude enough to make it known in underhanded ways.

Current "goth" stylings around here, and in many other places have drifted significantly from the true Gothic outlook, and therefore do not make it any easier in some interactions. For some reason, around here, "goth" and "emo" have become nearly synonymous, and being mistaken for someone with pseudo-serious personal instabilities is annoying, to say the least.

You should wear whatever you like, and don't worry about what other people say, unless they have power over you in career or family matters. As far as friends go, anyone who cannot take the trouble to learn what you are REALLY like isn't a friend, and probably isn't worth your time in the first place.

It doesn't really matter if you are a goth, or a punk, or headbanger, or what. Be yourself, and the worthwhile folk will respect you as you are, not as they wish you to be.

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

TangleOfScars

Projekt Maven

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I have a feeling that the Goth subculture has been accepted by modern life. But as a resident of Elizabethtown, KY; I can see the very true-to-heart tension there can be in a smaller society of people.
I just read an article in the magazine "Gothic Beauty" that due to the Gothic movement (or at least it's aesthetic) slowly leaking into the mainstream, it is becoming much more accepted to be part of the subculture. Though, I don't watch enough TV to truly evaluate this myself. It seems to me that it is not as big as a deal as it was a while back.

Smiley

IP Logged

SooleawaSoyala

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2011 at 3:41am
Print Post  
i know its not goth, but i had the same problem when emo got "big" I wear alot of black because im larger and it has a wonderful slimming effect on my figure, but living in a small town in ohio it wasnt long before i got labeled emo in highschool.

Didnt help i was in band and drama club and that i love anything that looks remotely like a bladed weapon (shoot i just bought a necklace that looks like a leaf, but opens up to a knife XD), (gotta love the 11 years of karate), apparently that made me even more emo, espcially since i dont like alot of mainstream music, my ipod is filled with celtic/symphonic/tribal/and for lack of better term rave music.

Like penth though, anyone who really knows me, knows i am not emo in the slightest bit, am i the biggest science nerd on the planet? Prolly pretty close, but def not emo, hell my fav colors are anything neon XD

so I feel your pain, especially since i have my own sense of style nowadays thats very similar to a hippy/bohemian laid back sort of style. I love scarves and flowy shirts, i dont mind my jeans being embroidered with flowers, and yes i have a bright green knit poncho and i wear it with pride! so i say power to ya!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint