Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CAR TALK (Read 12935 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

CAR TALK
Jul 3rd, 2007 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
With apologies and a tip of the hat to the Car Talk guys Tommy and Ray, I've swiped the name of their radio show for this topic. I figured that with me getting gushy over my van, I'd better make a place for it all lest I take over half of the site!!   Grin  And anyone else that wants to talk/complain/gush about their ride or cars/trucks/vans/SUVs/landspeeders in general should feel free to put it here. I'll be posting one or more new pix of the Phoenix shortly and in honor of the Car Talk guys, here is the link to their official Car Talk site.  If you have never listened to these guys, they are hilarious. They know their stuff too.

http://www.cartalk.com/

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: CAR TALK
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Several pictures have been taken and once they are downloaded, I'll see about getting the best ones up.
My first attempt at a hood bird didn't work out so I've scrapped it and I'm going to start over. I'm also trying to decide if I should find someone to paint it on or have a decal made. I find the idea of mounting a decal that is likely to be at least 4 feet wide a bit daunting.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I've been working on the hood bird. The head is perfect. The body nearly so. The tail needs more work as I haven't decided if the bird will rise from a bed of flames or not. And the wings aren't even started and they will be the foul word of your choice!! I'm making a full sized prototype from paper to see how it will fit on the hood and give me a rough idea how it will look. I'll do it up smaller for color tests. At the moment a black and silver color scheme is in the lead since the van is red. And then I'll do the whole thing again on grid paper so it can be reproduced either by a talented soul with an airbrush or to make a decal.
I pick easy projects, don't I?  Grin

And yes, I'm still working on the Castle model...

This is post #11,100 for the site!
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:11am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Hood bird update: The head is perfect. The body is perfect and I'm working on the tail section!   Grin After that, I get to work on the wings!!   Smiley  I'd love to add an ankh to the design but that might prove too much provocation for some of the yahoos around here. I really DON'T want the Phoenix vandalized. I'll be on the lookout for a tiny one that I can add to the "dangle" I've made for the rear view mirror. I already have a rather ornate Eye of Horus on it so an ankh will fit right in.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:33pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
My hood bird's tail is pretty much set unless I get divinely inspired. Now I'm making "wing decisions".  Should I go with the uber-cool "curved over the head" look or the "widespread, ready to swoop" look? Or something in between the two?
As Winnie the Pooh would say: Think. Think. Think!

And this would be a lot easier if I had a nice 3 x 4 foot drafting table handy.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I sent in the membership renewal for the AAA today so I'll be on it now. I've also been cleaning the windows on the Phoenix. I swear, from the amount of dirt I got off of some of them, they hadn't been cleaned in years! 
I want to clean the carpet, the seats and the "ceiling." There are stains up there and I don't want to know what they are or how they got there! I just want them gone if possible. The upholstery on the driver's seat has a few small holes in it. If I was exceptionally ambitious, I'd break out mom's upholstery sewing machine and reupholster the seat but I am not that ambitious -- or crazy! I'll probably let it wait until everything else is taken care of and then I'll get seat covers for all the seats. Probably black since the interior is shades of gray and black.  Smiley At least no one smoked in her or I'd never get the stink out. Although there is a small circular burn on one of the visors that is the right size for a cig burn. I'll have to think of a way to cover it up....
[Laughing at myself....]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 12:19am
Print Post  
GODS HAVE MERCY!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHOSE???

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/emblems.html

I gotta get the "vampire" I know! And I can think of someone else who would like it too! hehehehehe

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Well, we got the notification from the insurance company that the Phoenix is now insured! YEA!!!!!  So we can check that off the list. On Monday, we'll make the appointment at the Auto Clinic for the Phoenix's checkup and needed repairs. Hopefully by that time, the title paperwork will have arrived and we can go get the license plate. I want to reserve a personalized plate for next spring too if I can get the one I want. At some point we will head for the auto shop and get the touch up paint and whatever other little goodies I can find.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I'm making some headway with the hood bird. I may let MoonCat handle the detail work on the design since she is much better at it than I am. I'm still working on getting the proportions right and the general design. Deciding on what colors to use and where they go will be a tough one.
Decisions. Decisions.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Still working on the hood bird. I decided to go with the upswept wings. Now I need to get them to look as cool as I want them too!  Grin I'm going to have to do some research to get some ideas about what has already been done....

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 4:36am
Print Post  
I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I'm still working on it. LOL Sometimes you have to wait for inspiration but I googled some images last night to give me some ideas!
The Phoenix goes into the shop on Thursday so we should have it back on Friday unless they have to order something. Moonie can hardly wait.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I got these for the Phoenix today. Since we all have the "S" initial in common, it is a natural. Now if they would just license Wonder Woman and Batman logos I'd be all set on the DC Comics side. All I'd want from Marvel would be a "Phoenix" (of course!) logo. No sign of any of those yet but all things are possible....  Grin

http://www.chroma-graphics.com/asp/view.asp?link=280
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2007 at 8:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Smiley SmileyWe got the paperwork from the dealership (application for title and proof that we've already paid the fee) so we can now go over to the license branch and get the title and plate!! And I can reserve (I hope no one else has the word I want) my personalized plate. We'll do that next week. The van goes to the shop in the morning and Friday is payday so it will be Monday at the earliest before we can go get the plate.
I've had a brainstorm about my hood bird. Now I have to see if said brainstorm will actually work in practice!  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I'm also redesigning the driveway. Now that we have two vehicles, we need to be able to get either of them out without having to move the other one which is the case now. The driveway needs to be restoned anyway so it will just be a matter of deciding what we want to do and preparing the bed for the gravel. I personally want to put part of it in as a slab of concrete blocks with an eye to building a carport of some sort in a year or two.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Well, I gave up and called the shop! I couldn't wait. They didn't have the estimate ready 'cause the guy was still pulling everything apart but we will pick that up tomorrow since it is payday and we will be in town anyway.

We need some brake work, no surprise, and the motors on the windows are shot -- which is why they didn't work -- but they can be replaced and the windows will then work. I was NOT looking forward to having to use the A/C all the time! So far, they haven't found anything catastrophic like "the engine and tranny are shot.." so I'm feeling good. We probably won't have her back by the weekend -- rats!! -- since they won't start work until we sign off on the estimate. And I don't know how long it will take to get the motors for the windows. But as soon as we have her back it will be off to the license branch! I worked on the hood bird design today. The new element I want to add is proving to be a royal pain in the posterior! I'm probably going to have to find someone to airbush it on since the "custom decal" offers really aren't what I would call "custom". It shouldn't be too hard to find a shop that does it. Not in this car crazy neck of the woods!!  Smiley If I can remember to, I'll ask at the auto shop....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Well, we got the estimate. Most of the work that needs to be done involves the brakes which need a LOT of work, the original spark plugs and wires are still there and will be replaced, various other odds and ends -- I'll have the complete list when we pick up the receipt -- and the usual replacement of all filters. The body is in excellent shape so we don't have that to worry about. Parts and labor is going to come to $1,370, maybe a bit more if they end up having to replace one thing that they think now that they can repack and tighten. Since we had budgeted $2,000 for this first visit to the "auto-doc" we are quite pleased.

And we saw the silliest thing today. A bright yellow stretch limo with a giant chicken on top....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 12:44am
Print Post  
I finally got the new element I want to add to my hood design the way I want it -- in proportion and symmetrical! Now I get to figure out how it is going to work with the already designed bird. I'm still thinking of adding some detail to the bird but I haven't decided how much or what kind. Right now, I think that the bird will be metallic silver with some black details and maybe a touch of green and the new element in solid black since the van is red. [Laser Red Metallic to be precise!]  Smiley Once we get her home and have the new plate on, we are going to give her a thorough scrub down and a serious waxing. I'm gonna need the stepladder to do to the roof.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Goodie! I got the Chilton repair manual for the van that I ordered. Once the shop is done with the "make over" we will be able to do the "routine" stuff. hehehehehehe

Meanwhile, back to the bird!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Spirit keeps wanting to know if the van will be alright. [That is how she expresses it.] We keep telling her that the van will be fine. I think my girl has plans....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 4:16am
Print Post  
I've been working on the hood bird this evening....

By George, I think I've finally got it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Question for Black Rose: The center console between the front seats. In mine, some jerk has slammed the bottom drawer back into the console and it is well and truly stuck. According to the Chilton manual, I need to disconnect battery cables that I assume go to the air bag impact sensors before I touch that console. All I need to do is loosen the screws enough to get the drawer unstuck. As near as I can tell, the only electronic/electrical thing about it is the 12 volt outlet. Do I really need to disconnect those cables for what I want to do?

Post # 6,300 hehehehehehe.....
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2007 at 2:57pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Okay, the auto shop guys labor on the Phoenix even as we speak and it will be ready by late afternoon. Skywise will be at work by then so we will pick it up tomorrow. We will also hit the license branch as well so tomorrow's going to be busy. Skywise has Tuesday and Wednesday off this week so he will be getting some comp time too, so don't worry if I'm not on as much the next couple of days!  Grin 

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jul 15th, 2007 at 7:19pm:
Question for Black Rose: The center console between the front seats. In mine, some jerk has slammed the bottom drawer back into the console and it is well and truly stuck. According to the Chilton manual, I need to disconnect battery cables that I assume go to the air bag impact sensors before I touch that console. All I need to do is loosen the screws enough to get the drawer unstuck. As near as I can tell, the only electronic/electrical thing about it is the 12 volt outlet. Do I really need to disconnect those cables for what I want to do?

Post # 6,300 hehehehehehe.....

I'm not going to presume to answer for my wife....but I will answer with the knowledge I have.  If Chilton says to do something, you should do it.  They are really good at telling you to do what you need to do, and not tell you stuff you should do as an optional.  I'm guessing there is a chance for deployment while you are messing with the drawer....and that's bad.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I might just leave it alone then!  Grin They're still working on the van. There is a leak in the manifold and they were putting in a new gasket when I called. They are still waiting on the window motors and some mirrors. They are going to try to have it done by mid-morning, early afternoon tomorrow provided the parts get there on schedule.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint