Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Miss Maggie's Medical Updates (Read 2454 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Miss Maggie's Medical Updates
Jul 24th, 2007 at 7:38pm

I thought I'd better start a thread for her since this could be an ongoing thing.

We got the test results back on the urine sample and everything was normal except for the Ph which was high at 7. That means that her kidneys are likely okay. They want to put her on a prescription cat food and we will pick that up tomorrow. She is still having trouble getting around but she is doing better. She has a bit more gross motor control in her left hind leg and she is walking around more although she is still spending a lot of her time resting. She was able to eat a little last night and we are supplementing her diet with kitten formula. She has been eating a bit more this morning and when Moonie and I were giving her the kitten formula, she gave us a bit of attitude about it so I take that as an indicator that she is feeling a bit better.
Skywise now thinks that it wasn't a stroke and that she either tasted something poisonous or was stung by an insect and had a bad reaction. There are two yellowjacket nests currently in the yard and since she wasn't outside for a long period on Sunday -- we've always been careful of poisons around here having always had kids and cats -- I'm going to put my money on an insect (probably yellowjacket) sting. If she recovers quickly and completely, I'll think it was a yellowjacket and we'll be even more ruthless in our elimination of nests than we are now. Right now, she is asleep behind the couch.
Praise to Bast.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Miss Maggie's Medical Updates
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 9:09pm

Maggie seems to be having less trouble eating. More food seems to be going into her and not on the floor. We picked up the prescription cat food today [Hill's Prescription Diet c/d] and the Hearth Queen likes it. How big a hit it will be with our little Maggie remains to be seen! She is showing more attitude today. She wasn't happy about taking her medicine. She was a bit more agreeable about taking the kitten formula along with her dry food. She seems a bit more coordinated but she still tires easily and is sleeping a lot which is okay with us! To us at least, it is looking less and less like a stroke and more like some sort of poisoning. If that is the case, the only thing we have to worry about now is how much, if any, permanent damage has been done. Prayers to Bast would be appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 11:37pm

Moonie has been brushing Maggie and she (Maggie) has been reaching out to grab the brush. She no longer seems to feel the need to hide, which is good. She still wants to lay down while eating but she is eating so we remain hopeful.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 12:03am

I just watched Maggie walk across the living room and she looks pretty normal. She's currently laying on the rug in front of the television. I think that she is still tiring easily though. And she is at least sampling that prescription cat food! We will have to get a PH meter so we can check her urine PH ourselves. [Note to self: Get out the "science" surplus catalogs....]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 4:55am

MAGGIE RAN!!!!!!!!

She hopped out of the litter box by the front door and ran past me to the back door -- about 25 feet! Then she took off again and ran between Skywise's feet into the kitchen and nearly tripped him!! She then took another short sprint and is now resting on her laurels. We had just fed her some more kitten formula and she headed for the litter box afterwards. She left something incredibly smelly buried under a very high pile of litter. We will investigate later.
I think that it is safe to say that she didn't have a stroke. It was some sort of poisoning. Hopefully our little girl will be back to normal in a few more days.

Thank you, Bast.

Post # 6,565
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2007 at 4:58am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 10:19pm

Well Miss Maggie is still zipping around. She has made some adjustments to her gait to accommodate the weakness on her left side and she is still having a bit a trouble chewing but she is eating fairly well. We are still giving her the kitten formula and probably will for a few more days. She's still sleeping/resting a lot but that isn't surprising. It has been a rough week for our little girl. Since her mouth seems to be the center of the problem, Skywise has a theory that she grabbed a toad and tried to eat it, toads being toxic. Then the toxin affected her mouth and enough got into her system to affect her left side. That is our theory anyway. It's not like we can ask her what happened. Now we are just hoping/praying that the damage isn't permanent.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 4:44pm

Maggie is still on the mend. She did a little climbing/jumping this morning to get to one of her favorite perches. And she is showing more of her customary spunk. She did NOT want her kitten formula last night.  Grin She took it but she did it with an evil glare in her eye.
She will kill us later....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:58pm

We're pretty sure that Maggie is going to recover. She is still having a touch of weakness on her left side and she still circles once in a while but she is walking normally and is even sprinting around the house. She went outside for a while this morning and seemed very pleased with herself.
She has now used up 2 of her 9 lives.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Our little girl has been outside all morning. Skywise watched her for a while to be sure that she was okay and he reports that if you didn't know the condition that she was in last week you wouldn't know that anything had been wrong.
Thank you, Bast.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 6:15pm

Miss Maggie continues to improve. She's been zipping around the house "at speed" and she keeps trying to get outside every time the door is opened. Unfortunately, IT IS TOO DAMNED HOT for a long haired kitty to be outside. Especially one that was near death not that long ago and nearly died a year ago!!! No, no, no, little girl. We are going to watch you carefully. *Cuddles Maggie!*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 6:36pm

I'd forgotten about this thread. *sniff* Since Maggie has passed into the arms of Bast, I'm going to lock this thread. Good hunting, Little Girl.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint