Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' III: The Posts Strike Back! (Read 38336 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' III: The Posts Strike Back!
Reply #725 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 4:04am

I got topside just in time for Moonie to give me the Research Station comp and to walk right into a Longhorn Steakhouse commercial. NOW I want a steak. Smiley And I know where I want to get it. Just not going to get it for a while... *sniff*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #726 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:02am

I'm going to go pace the floor until he gets home.  Smiley There goes that damned wind again.....

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley[smiley=goodnight.gif]

IP Logged

Rudas Starblaze

Reply #727 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:27am

aye, the wind!  its been averaging around 40mph all day here....  i even got pelted in the cheek with a small chunk of gravel at work!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #728 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 5:49pm

Yeah. The wind has finally let up a bit and it is colder than a polar bear's toenails out there right now. Skywise got home about ten minutes after I went offline last night. And yes, there was a tree down over the road along his route so he had to turn the car around and take the alternate route. Fortunately after all these years, he knows the alternates without having to consult a map or ask me! Once he got in the door he told me that the storm had taken the top out of the cedar tree in the front yard. It had landed in the road but someone had moved it out of the way. I went out a got pictures. There is no sign of rot where it broke off so it was just torn off by the wind. It smells nice though...
I haven't seen any news yet today so I don't know how the rest of the state and the county fared. Right now, I'm going to finish thawing out from my trip outside and get some breakfast.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2008 at 5:50pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #729 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 7:01pm

Here's the link to Channel 6's storm coverage. Four people were killed but it could have been worse in Martinsville if the storm had come through 10 minutes later.

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/15174517/detail.html

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #730 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Skywise left for work about 30 minutes ago. The first newscast will be on in a few and I'll get the update on some foolishness about 6 inches of snow on Thursday night!  Smiley We will be going into town tomorrow to get some odds and ends. We'd normally wait until Friday but Skywise has the early shift that day -- naturally! -- so we will do our shopping on Thursday and make the bank deposits on Saturday or Monday.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #731 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 1:15am

I'm working on the Castle this evening. It is a lot easier to concentrate tonight since there is no danger of being blown into Ohio! Smiley (That storm crossed the state west to east in roughly three hours last night. It SEEMED like a lot longer.) The section I'm working on is posts 2100 to 2299 from the original thread. I'm going to need to "touch up" some of my story posts so they "fit" and figure out how to use some stuff that was put in and left dangling. Smiley I might have to grab some posts from another thread -- don't know yet. Plus rewrite the stuff that has to be taken out. Smiley  This gonna take a while... *gets tea and prepares to do battle with uncooperative word documents...* Catch ya later.

Post #8,888 hehehehehe

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #732 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 2:08am

Okay. I've got three posts that can be scrapped and the Lord Marshall is about to drop back into the story. And, as was his habit, he dropped in with a "bang." Methinks that I'll go get dinner going and think about some "set up" for that scene.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #733 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 3:24am

Okay... that seems to work. Now for the next bit.... Gotta make what I wrote match what the Lord Marshall wrote without changing anything....

*Heads off to tackle posts with flamethrower, crowbar and sledgehammer.....*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #734 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 4:38am

Penthesilea wrote on Jan 30th, 2008 at 10:00pm:
Skywise left for work about 30 minutes ago. The first newscast will be on in a few and I'll get the update on some foolishness about 6 inches of snow on Thursday night!  Smiley We will be going into town tomorrow to get some odds and ends. We'd normally wait until Friday but Skywise has the early shift that day -- naturally! -- so we will do our shopping on Thursday and make the bank deposits on Saturday or Monday.

Oh lovely. Now they are saying this part of the state could be getting most if not ALL of its precipitation as FREEZING RAIN.
Have I ever expressed my feelings about freezing rain? It is a toss up as to which I hate more: tornadoes or freezing rain. And Skywise will be driving home at the height of the storm...

PLEASE DEAR GODS!! NO GODS ACURSED FREEZING RAIN!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #735 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 4:57am

I've got some stuff that I want to get done before Skywise gets home -- cause I know what we will be doing after he gets here!  Smiley  So I'm going to tear myself away from the comp for the night. Everyone sleep well and be safe, especially if the weather is lousy where you are! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #736 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 8:02pm

We're back! We took off for Floral Gulch before I even had a chance to check in this morning. We needed some odds and ends -- which we got -- and Skywise wanted to check their Best Buy for some software which they had and he got. He's down at the Command Center comp right now with it.
We still don't know for sure if we're going to get freezing rain or not and probably won't know absolutely until the storm is underway. Everything depends on how far north the warm air in the south manages to come. If it stays to the south of us, it will be all snow. If it makes it up this far, we will have freezing rain. I'll keep you posted....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #737 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 8:58pm

I've been checking the weather. They are saying 3 to 5 inches of snow with maybe a quarter of an inch of ice. More freezing rain is expected further south. Skywise will be leaving for work in about 30 - 40 minutes and will be starting home at 2 a.m. at the height of the storm. It's going to be a very long night.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #738 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:44pm

*sigh* He's on his way. It isn't doing anything now so I'm not worrying. It will be later when he gets off work and heads home that I'll be in "high" worry mode. Fortunately, at 2 - 3 a.m. the majority of the automotive lunatics will be off the roads and the only company he'll have out there are the road crews, State Police, the occasional trucker and the other late shift workers so if he needs to drive at 5 miles an hour, he can. If the power is on when he gets in, I'll post and let you know.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #739 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:29pm

*rubs hands together* I came! I saw! I SHOPPED!!
Gotta love amazon.com although the poor "recommendations" program is likely having fits over me! Smiley Last night and this evening, I've ordered a LOT of astrology books since I can now use my "Windows only" software [more on that in a minute.] and a couple of Windows XP books. When you take into consideration all the other books I've ordered lately, the cds that Moonie wanted and the gifts I got at Yule, hehehe. Yep. I'm really confusing amazon's software!
Now, why is a dedicated and confirmed Mac user buying books about Windows XP? Well, we've installed it on the Command Center computer -- that's right on a Mac -- thanks to a program called "Parallels" will makes that possible. So now, I can run my astrology software and explore the ins and outs of this fascinating subject. That will either keep me out of trouble or get me into it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #740 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 2:41am

It's 29 degrees and still no snow -- or any other kind of precipitation.
This is a good thing cause the longer it holds off the better conditions should be for Skywise's drive home. It can snow to beat the band ONCE HE GETS HOME but I want him home first! I'll worry about tomorrow's drive into work tomorrow!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #741 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 3:59am

It's 30 degrees and it is sleeting.....
Not good.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #742 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 7:15am

He should be on the way by now. I hear what sounds like a salt truck going down the road. The temp in town is 30 degrees and it is raining here. It wasn't when I checked about 20 minutes ago. Yeah. Worry time.  Smiley I wish that there was someone or something that could distract me right now but there isn't so I'll just try to sit quietly and wait until he gets in. Under normal conditions, he would be here in 30 to 35 minutes. I doubt that will be the case tonight....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #743 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 8:42am

He's home. Spirit is crying with relief. I'm exhausted and out of here. Everyone sleep well and be safe. As soon as he's had sufficient pizza, I'm gonna hug the hell out of him and what ever else I can manage. Nite!Smiley Smiley

Post # 8,900
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2008 at 8:43am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #744 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 6:21pm

I'm back, finally. The massive snowfall didn't materialize. The storm tracked north with the center of the low passing over Indianapolis so the snow stayed in Illinois. No one around here is complaining about that except maybe the kids who wanted to go sledding and the snowboarders. What ice we have is enough to contend with. It's mostly a travel consideration. We didn't get enough to cause power outages or trees coming down. [Thank the Gods!] Skywise is getting ready for work right now. The road crews are out so I'm not going to worry TOO hard. I'll be glad when the cell phone tower up the road is activated so our cells will work here.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #745 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 9:20pm

I'm finally starting to feel normal again. I really wish that he didn't have to work today but he does and tomorrow too. It will be Sunday before I can drag him off for a good big chunk of "together time."
It's 27 degrees here now but it should reach the 40's over the weekend so all "ice considerations" will be over by then. We'll leave a bit earlier than usual tomorrow morning so we can do the errand that we skipped this morning. Then we will be back on our "normal" track and that should soothe the girls' autism fueled desire for structure. Spirit was particularly insistent that we go into town today since we usually do on Fridays but since we were expecting the storm, we went in and did our "Friday stuff" on Thursday. Spirit didn't mind, since it involved getting lunch at her favorite chicken place, but she had trouble accepting the fact that we weren't going into town today. Smiley We probably would have had less trouble convincing her if we had gotten that 6 inches more or less of snow that we were expecting last night. When you can't find the car under the snowbank, it gives the "we are NOT going into town" decree extra weight... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #746 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:49pm

FireFox was being wonky and generally disobedient. I smacked it on its metaphorical bottom and sent it to the corner for a time out. [Thank the Apple Gods for Safari!] It seems to have worked and all is well.

Observation: A great many mysteries would be solved if people would simply consider the obvious answer, no matter how outlandish that answer might seem. Find an explanation that fits the facts you have and you likely have your answer. That works much better than trying to change the facts to fit your pet theory. I've found that asking myself why I would do something is enough to give me insight into someone else's actions  Smiley  and you can always revise the theory when more facts come in.

Enough musing! It's chilly down here and it is making me sleepy! LOL That and I didn't fall asleep until after 4 last night. I'm going to go get warm and if a nap catches me, so be it. I'll be back later.  Kiss
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:54pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #747 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 5:01am

Skywise will be home soon and so I'm going to head out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley See ya tomorrow!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #748 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:11pm

Afternoon! Skywise is on his way to work. Road conditions are improving by the hour. It's 38 degrees and the sun is beating down. Any place where there is a bit of pavement showing, the ice is melting and water is running down the side of the road. There are still some patches of ice in the shady spots but for the most part, things are good. We're both looking forward to tomorrow when he doesn't have to work and we can "decompress" from this week. Workwise, it was no worse than normal for this time of year. It was the weather and road conditions that put the pressure on....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #749 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 12:35am

Things are pretty quiet around here except for the cats trying to tear the place apart. This is the first night in a week that I haven't been worried about or experiencing bad and/or dangerous weather. I don't know what to do with myself! Smiley Making and eating dinner will keep me occupied for a while. After that, I'll have to see. Writing, if I can be productive, reading or crocheting if I can't! In the book I'm reading I've reached the chapter that "should" be subtitled "Possession and what to do about it." Interesting reading that and I'd like to finish it this weekend. My reading is piling up but the writing has to be done too. We won't mention the dishes, laundry and assorted housework...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41
Send TopicPrint