Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Uh oh! I could be in really BIG trouble! LOL (Read 3367 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Uh oh! I could be in really BIG trouble! LOL
Aug 23rd, 2007 at 5:11pm

I heard about these guys a few years back but couldn't pursue it. Now......

http://ifgs.org/index.asp

And then there are these guys..

http://neroindy.com/

I wonder what difference, if any, there is. *Puts on research hat.*

Edited to put in Nero Indiana's new addy
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014 at 12:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Uh oh! I could be in really BIG trouble! LOL
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 6:53pm

Well, I've decided to go with the International Fantasy Gaming Society. They are smaller than NERO but so far, I like what I've seen at the IFGS better. Plus, I've been in love with Dream Park and its sequels forever! So, I've ordered a copy of the rulebook since the one I have is several versions out of date. The new one should get me up to speed while they work on Version 7. LOL They don't currently have a chapter in Indiana soooo....  Smiley finding someone to play with and getting organized should be the first order of business.

Edited for spelling. *sigh* Durn typodemons....
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2007 at 6:09pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 9:33pm

I've been reading the IFGS' forum. There are several thoughtful discussions about revamping the game and encouraging growth. LARP is expensive, both to produce and to participate in and they are trying to address those problems. I'm going to be following the discussions and watching to see what they decide.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 11:27pm

I've been prowling the IFGS's forums. It looks like the nearest active chapter is in the Milwaukee/Madison, Wisconsin area. That is a bit of a trip! The Ohio chapter looks to be dormant. The other really active groups seem to be in Colorado where the IFGS has it headquarters. That's a even longer road trip.  Smiley Why do I get the feeling that the Gods might be "testing" me on this one? The Atlanta Chapter looks pretty active too. Too bad it isn't in Augusta....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 10:53pm

I got my copy of the current rules yesterday. I'm thinking of writing some games for the IFGS once the new, revised rules are released. I might not be able to play because of the distance but I can contribute to the organization by writing games that others can put on. They don't have much "inventory" in their game files so that is a way that I could help.
I also hope that the new rules will say something definite about how much the beanbags should weigh!! The current rules are too vague!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 7:32pm

Well, I've broken down and registered at the IFGS Forum site. Same username and avatar, lest anyone think I'm trying to be sneaky or underhanded, and I'll likely be a "card carrying, dues paying" member of the IFGS before I hit the sheets tonight. Unless there are a lot of unorganized IFGS members in this neck of the woods, I'm thinking that my involvement will likely be on the "creation" side -- writing games for others to put on -- since going to Wisconsin or any of the other active chapters for even monthly meetings isn't gonna be "doable" until we win the lottery! Still, I'm happy to be involved in any way that I can.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 4:18am

I've been reading at the IFGS forum. The new rules are moving through the approval process nicely and I'm thinking that they might have the new 7.0 version out by the first of the year. I also saw some posts about "Themed Paintball" games. The one mentioned was based on the Dark Angel television series. There was also mention of a live action "Call of Cthulu" [Yes, I KNOW it isn't spelled right.....] game.
The biggest problems seem to be with combat -- being safe while being entertaining. I wonder how the SCA handles it.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 11:48pm

I've downloaded some -- but not all! -- of the IFGS's game scripts for study. Yeah, I'm gonna see what I can work up in the way of story ideas while waiting for the new rules come out. I'm probably going to write for low level characters to start with although the idea of somehow working UFOs into an advanced game has a certain appeal...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 8:39pm

The verdict is in.
After nearly three years, I've decided that the IFGS isn't for me. The "new rules" are nothing more than the "old rules" in a fancy new package. None of the "cons" of the system have been addressed, just explained away and the organization itself is too hidebound to even discuss changing anything, basically because "that's the way we've always done it."

NERO on the other hand while not perfect is considerably more flexible. The IFGS character generation system restricts the use of magic and weapons to specific classes (i.e. if you are a Mage, you can't use a bow, even if logically you should have learned archery in childhood) while in the NERO system, any of the character classes can "buy" any weapon or skill that the player wants. It will just "cost" more in points to do so. The HERO System is superior to both (and superior to any system in my opinion) in that it has the flexibility to create any character that a player has in mind. Also, the NERO organization playtests new rules every gaming season. They are always looking for a better way to do things. I think that its commitment to "looking for a better/easier way" is why NERO is expanding and the IFGS is not.  NERO isn't perfect but it's closer to it than the IFGS is.

I'm going to dig in and see how the mechanics of combat, spell casting and non-magickal skills is handled in the NERO system and compare them to IFGS. I suspect that they won't be too different.  Then, I'll turn my brain to figuring out how to do it (better?) within the HERO system.  I'm thinking that an indispensable piece of equipment for a LARPer playing in the HERO system would be a cleaned, plastic peanut butter jar (12 or 18 oz. size) with three dice in it since most skill rolls in HERO use a basic formula of 9+(Relevant Characteristic/5)+ Modifiers = Success Roll rolled on 3 6 sided dice. Skywise has been using that method for a table top game he plays for years.  You shake the jar, turn it upside down and read the results through the plastic. The dice don't skitter off the table and you get a better "shake" than when you use your hands.
Assessing any kind of "combat" damage is going to require some thought.

The bottom line is I won't be renewing my membership in the IFGS come October and I won't recommend it to anyone unless they live in an area that has an active, healthy chapter. I haven't decided about joining NERO yet.  The nearest NERO chapter is about a hundred miles from here which is a bit far for us. Organizing my "own" chapter is a possibility but I'll have to think long and hard about it and I need to get a few other things off my plate first.
I'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2010 at 1:25am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 4:13am

Penthesilea wrote on Mar 4th, 2010 at 3:41am:
Been washing dishes and prowling the net. While lurking, I found a possible way to do Close Quarters Combat in LARP when physical contact is prohibited. The Native Americans called it "counting coup" and it was usually but not always done with a weapon and did no damage. Combat with a "coup stick" made to the same safety specifications as other LARP weapons would serve to simulate the various martial arts strikes.  I think I'm going to need to research the use of tonfas.....

I posted this in the "What's Happenin'?" thread but it should have been here. So here it is in a quote! I was looking through the IFGS rulebook this afternoon and found out how they've decided to handle hand to hand combat... Smiley
I don't know about you but to me, throwing purple bean bags at your opponent from ten feet away just doesn't say "martial arts!" It says, "obsessive concern with not getting sued."  Of course, NERO simulates firing a bow with a really fake bow and THROWING A BEAN BAG with streamers on it! *sigh* What is it with bean bags?  I can see using them for "spell casting" or the delivery toxic substances but I'm having trouble with the whole "using bean bags for anything that could fly through the air" thing. Now I can understand the concerns about hitting someone in the face accidentally and causing an eye injury. BELIEVE ME. I'm the girl who used to have nightmares about getting hit in the face with baseballs, my glasses shattering and getting broken glass in my eyes but I think that there should be a way that is safe and less likely to jerk you out of your roleplaying. At some point, I'm going to be experimenting with eye safe "arrow designs" just to see if it can be done. I KNOW I can put a large enough tip on them so they won't get past the bones protecting the eye. The question will be can they be thrown, how far can they be thrown and how accurate would they be? Smiley    

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2010 at 4:14am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:08pm

Me want.

Unfortunately, I don't really like the color and it costs $370 plus shipping, handling and insurance. It doesn't come in sizes and the site doesn't give the range of measurements that it will fit. Here's the site. http://www.fantasy-armor.com/cat.php?cat=1&depart=0  Click on the thumbnail to get a better look. I tried to snatch it but it wouldn't let me. *pout* I guess I'm going to have to get some 5 to 7 ounce leather and make my own. Not immediately, of course. I've got a few other projects going as I may have mentioned!  Smiley  I ordered a pack today that could do double duty as a regular "hiking" back when we go to the state parks and as an "adventurer's pack" as part of a costume.
Guess I'd better start a "costume photo reference file."
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:10pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:43pm

Just went to the Tandy Leather site and requested a catalog. They have a set of archery gear patterns and I'm going to order that right off the bat. Fortunately, there is an actual store on the west side of Indy. Come Skywise's vacation, we'll go look it up.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:44pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:23pm

Okay this is interesting. Smiley

http://www.columbusyouthcamp.com/

Turns out this is where the Indiana NERO chapter does their thing. It is 29 miles, more or less from here, a trip of about an hour, probably a bit less.

That is do-able although I-135 route (the shortest) is a certifiable, 2 lane PAIN IN THE BUTT in that section.  There are a couple of slightly longer routes that don't involve going though Nashville, IN (Beautiful, quaint little town. Stone pain to drive through.)  There are a couple of other routes that are longer but possibly less hair raising.

Not this year, next year... maybe...
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 11:52pm

Just told Skywise what I found out about the NERO group. He said, "Hmmmm." He knows that I'm not going to run off and join up yesterday, after all. Moonie thinks it's interesting too. The "problem" is Spirit. She's more autistic than Moonie is and I don't think that she can grasp the concept of "live action roleplaying" or at least not without a lot of work. She's frequently in her own world. The problem would be that the world she's in wouldn't be the "game world.  There isn't anyone she would or could stay with while the rest of us were playing. One of us, Skywise or me, has to be where she can find us or she gets really upset/scared.  If Moonie is around, it isn't so bad and I suspect that the same would be true of Nike although we've never tested that.
But. One problem at a time. If nothing else, if Skywise and I both wanted to play, we could alternate. He'd play one event and I'd play the next. Moonie could play all of them!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Penthesilea wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:08pm:
Me want. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/Penthesileia/Miscellaneous%20pics/AE1447_...

Unfortunately, I don't really like the color and it costs $370 plus shipping, handling and insurance. It doesn't come in sizes and the site doesn't give the range of measurements that it will fit. Here's the site. http://www.fantasy-armor.com/cat.php?cat=1&depart=0  Click on the thumbnail to get a better look. I tried to snatch it but it wouldn't let me. *pout* I guess I'm going to have to get some 5 to 7 ounce leather and make my own. Not immediately, of course. I've got a few other projects going as I may have mentioned!  Smiley  I ordered a pack today that could do double duty as a regular "hiking" back when we go to the state parks and as an "adventurer's pack" as part of a costume.

I've realized that I'm going to have to make a dress form for this project. Unfinished leather can be shaped when it's soaked and will retain the shape when it's dry.  This opens up some intriguing possibilities for "custom fitted" leather armor which is especially important when you are dealing with the sometimes extreme contours of the female body!  
I smell a creative challenge!  Along with wet leather....
Since NERO actively encourages "real" armor (as opposed to the IFGS) I'm going to experiment with an arm guard design I came up with a few years ago. Should be fun. And if nothing else, I will be well supplied with costuming when I hit the convention circuit. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 2:17am

I pout!

Further poking around has revealed that NeroIndy won't be having this year's gaming season 30 miles/60 minute drive from here. They've changed venues and will be doing their thing 2.5 hours drive from here.
Good thing I didn't have my heart set on it OR parted with cold hard cash!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:36am

I've found a game system in which the combat is realistic and described as full contact. Unfortunately, it never really took off and getting a complete rulebook may be impossible. There is a partial rulebook posted on their website. Another "unfortunately" is that the print on their website is tiny! I'm having to make word docs of every page I want to read so I can see it. *sigh* This is going to take a while.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010 at 8:15am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:26pm

I got most of that partial source book last night. Now I'm editing it and making it pretty. The section I'm most interested in, is Combat. This system allowed hand to hand combat and arrows and I want to see how they did it, what restrictions they imposed and what safety procedures they used. Even with "boffer arrows" I would be inclined to mandate safety goggles for all PCs and NPCs in the field.  Very detailed liability releases would be needed too.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:28pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 5:28pm

I found Dagorhir last night. They are more of an reenactment group than a roleplaying group. They stage full scale melees and create characters for that purpose. What interests me is their combat rules. They use bows and "boffer" arrows in their combat rather than beanbags. They're not a group I could join (the whole "extreme danger of detached retinas due to my extreme nearsightedness" thing again. *sigh* ) but I'm interested in how they handle hand to hand combat and archery. Something to check out while I'm waiting for Skywise to get home tonight.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 7:03pm

I now have four different tutorials on how to make LARP safe arrows. This pleases me. I'll have to get some "spare" arrows to experiment with. As near as I can tell there is no reason to ban boffer arrows from LARP other than obsessive paranoia about the possibility of being sued.
Air tight "Release from liability" forms that state that you play at your own risk take care of that problem for high schools, colleges and other organizers of athletic pursuits that involve contact or other potentially dangerous activities, it should do the same for LARP organizations.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2010 at 7:04pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 12:05am

Penthesilea wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:08pm:
Me want. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/Penthesileia/Miscellaneous%20pics/AE1447_...

I've been collecting links to tutorials about leather armor making with special emphasis on making armor for us female types whose chests do not resemble that of a 12 year old boy.  (There are times when having curves is a pain but I wouldn't willingly be otherwise!) Anyway, unfinished leather, when thoroughly soaked, molds and will hold that shape when dry. The trick is having something to mold it on.  The female chest is usually too "squishy" to make a good form for leather molding so it's necessary to make a form...
There are several ways to do that and I'm considering them all.
Yeah.. my Tandy Leather catalog came today.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 4:06am

I've been researching various ways to make a body mold/dress form. Getting ideas. One of which might even work.  Smiley Skywise will have to help me wrap myself up though.
Don't think that he'll mind...  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010 at 4:23am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 4:43pm

Trying to decide what to order from Tandy. The archery patterns, fer sure but I'm undecided about whether or not to order a kit or two (which tend to be a bit pricey) and/or some leather. I'll need leather for the quiver(s), arm guards and finger tabs. I also want to make some upper arm bands....  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint