Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gothic Decorating (Read 6631 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Gothic Decorating
Reply #25 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I’ve gotten the Mill List for the bed figured out except for how or from what I’m going to hang the curtains. Whatever I decide on will have to be sturdy. The curtains themselves probably won’t be that heavy but the cats will consider it their feline duty to climb said curtains. Especially if they hear some critter rattling around above the bedroom ceiling which has happened more than once recently!  I would really rather forgo the experience of having bed curtains, curtain rods/supports and one or more large determined cats come down on me in the middle of the the night!! I might have to wait until the bed is being assembled before I can figure out what I’m going to do. “Hands on” is my best learning style and putting the pieces together until they fit is the best way for me to figure things out. [Insert Tab A into Slot B.  Adjust to fit. Lubricate as necessary....]
I still have to inventory our tools and see what “special tools” we are going to need. We have a good selection of basic tools for home repairs but that’s it. I’m pretty sure that we are going to need a doweling jig -- for the spindles -- but we can probably rent that.  I also need to put together a hardware list and go over the instructions for the Mission Bed I’m using as a “pattern” to see what has to be changed because of the alterations we’re making to the bed. So the project proceeds and I’m anxious to get started on it!

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #26 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Iron pipe, painted black, with wood rings to hold the curtains.

That way, the rod won't fall. LOL

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Unless, of course, said iron pipe comes loose from the bedposts......
The wooden rings definitely have a "thumbs up" from me. Metal or.... ick... plastic simply would NOT fly with this bed!

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #28 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 2:12am
Print Post  
If you socket in the rods, like you do with towel bars in the bathroom, it should work just fine.

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:01am
Print Post  
We haven't gotten the wood yet. *sigh* Every day during this vacation when it HASN'T rained we've had to do other stuff. Oh well, I'll get singleminded and get us to the home improvement store one of these days soon.
I WANT THAT BED!!
I need an "im"proper setting for my naughty ideas!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
FINALLY found the right wood for the bed! [Red oak.] Unfortunately, we were in the car yesterday when I found it so I couldn't get it. I've already informed Skywise that the next time we're on the Southside in the van, I'm gonna bug him to head for Menard's! Smiley I've gotten the curtain hanging problem figured out and I was looking at some interesting premade trims yesterday too. We're probably going to make the head and foot boards first since we are deviating from the "pattern" we have and then we'll get the posts for the bed and rails. The rails and the crosspieces -- 2 x 4s to support the mattress -- shouldn't be too complicated except for installing the hardware necessary to take the bed apart.  The trickiest part will be making the head and foot boards because of the spindles but given what Skywise has in mind, we gotta have the spindles. [Black iron rings attached to the bed posts or the head and foot boards would be kinda suspicious! Smiley ]  I was hoping to have it finished by now but what are ya gonna do? Real life will get in the way of the "fun stuff" sometimes!
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:21pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint