Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness (Read 9500 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness
Nov 9th, 2007 at 7:05am
Print Post  
    Hurricane Katrina and the December 26, 2004 tsunami brought the reality of disaster into our living rooms. Disasters have always been with us but it seems, to me at least, that they are more severe than formerly and coming faster.  As I post this, the entire North Sea coast is under a storm surge warning and the port of Rotterdam has been closed. Likewise, the Thames River and Dartford Creek barriers have been closed to protect London and the surrounding area from the surge.
    Floods, blizzards, ice storms, landslides, tornadoes, hurricanes in addition to earthquakes and wildfires can strike about anywhere. There is no place on the planet that is safe from some sort of natural or man-made disaster. In this forum, we will attempt to help our members make rational preparations in the event of disaster. We will provide lists of the books and magazines that we have found helpful, links to useful and/or specialized sites and a place to discuss survival techniques. Having been raised in a rural area, I’ve been cut off from “civilization” with no electricity and no way to leave more often than I can remember. Playing “duck and cover” with tornadoes and the super cell storms that seem to be coming ever more common is also one of my well developed skills so “being prepared” is second nature to me. They should be second nature to everyone.
    There will also be a place here for “self-sufficient living” ranging from the little things you can do to reduce your reliance on the utility grids and conserving resources to, if there is an interest, full blown homesteading.

Recommended reading list:

These two books should be on every “Disaster Preparedness” book shelf as they contain information that I haven’t seen elsewhere.

The Complete Book of Survival: How to protect yourself Against Revolution, Riots, Hurricanes, Famine and other Natural and Man-Made Disasters by Rainer Stahlbeg. In this book, the author takes a systematic approach to disaster assessment from “short term” events such as tornadoes and blizzards to longer term situations such as economic and/or environmental collapse to race wars. He even devotes chapters to alien -- as in extra terrestrial -- invasion and planetary catastrophe and gives those scenarios the same attention as he does the more mundane -- and likely -- events.  http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Survival-revolution-Hurricains/dp/1569801207...

“When Technology Fails: A manual for Self-Reliance and Planetary Survival” by Matthew Stein. He also has a web site
http://www.whentechfails.com/
What struck me about this book was the inclusion of  “pagan” or “new age” solutions as well as the “standard” low tech approaches. He covers a wide range of “failures” and what can be done to fill the gaps. He draws his information from a wide range of sources which are cited in the book. I haven’t been able to thoroughly check out the website yet but if it follows in the footsteps of the book there should be plenty of useful information there.

[ETA: There is a new edition of this book out. I haven't gotten a copy yet but I probably will at some point soon. Here's the amazon.com link to the new edition.  http://www.amazon.com/When-Technology-Fails-Revised-Expanded/dp/1933392452/ref=p... ]

And a source that Skywise recommends is http://www.ready.gov/ which is brought to us by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

I’ll be adding lists of useful books and magazines as I compile them. If you have something that you feel would be useful, please post it. You might have thought of something that the rest of us have overlooked.

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 4:57am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Re: Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparednes
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
As odd as this sounds....

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

Yes, it's a guide to survive zombie holocaust.  Yes, it's written as humor.  Yes, it actually has some real good advice for real life too.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
*giggle* I'll have to look it up. We got a new book in the mail today -- I got it for Skywise -- and I'll "bully" him into giving us and thumbs up or down once he's had a chance to look at it.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 4:58am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
One thing that every emergency kit should have and most people don't think of is a supply of cash in small denominations. We have become so used to a "cashless" society and the ready availability of cash machines that we don't realize that in the event of a disaster, our credit/debit cards as well as our personal checks could be useless. Even if the banking system was intact, the simple loss of electricity to operate it would make cash the only way that supplies could be paid for. How much cash is an individual decision based how much you think you will likely need during whatever emergency you are planning for. It should be in small bills and kept where you can grab it quickly in case of a hasty evacuation. And need I say it? Keep the fact that you have it very, very quiet.

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 1:38am
Print Post  
More along the lines of self-sufficiency or wilderness survival, one book I like is Stalking the Wild Asparagus (tho I can't remember the author offhand).

And yes, part of the reason I like it is the name.  But it's about plantlore, finding edible plants and such, and pretty interesting.  It seems a good skill to know (at least the basics of) what's edible and what's emphatically not.

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 4:38am
Print Post  
The author is the late Euell Gibbons. My mother got the book back when it was first published in the 60's. It's available on amazon.com.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Two magazines that are available in most bookstores that are of interest to those interested in emergency preparedness and/or self-sufficient living are BackHome �http://www.backhomemagazine.com/
and
Backwoods Home magazine http://www.backwoodshome.com/

Both magazines focus on self-sufficient living with an eye to being prepared for an emergency. Backwoods Home's editorial stance is unashamedly libertarian/anti-authoritarian but even if that is not to your political/philosophical taste, there is good information to be had there. Backwoods Home is the only magazine of its type that has a regular column on firearms and their use in home and personal defense. BackHome doesn't delve into politics. What it does do is provide a wealth of information on various topics related to living a self-sufficient or more self-sufficient lifestyle whether you live in the city, the suburbs or the country.

Edited 1/11/18: Both of the publications listed above have ceased publication.
BackHome is completely gone, no online presence and back issues are unavailable.
Backwoods Home has ceased hardcopy publication but is available on kindle by subscription. They will also be printing a yearly anthology each year in hardcopy.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:18am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post  
I've found this little book very useful.

Build the Perfect Survival Kit  http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect-Survival-John-McCann/dp/0873499670/ref=sr_1_...

It explains clearly and concisely what a survival kit should contain and how they can and should be customized for various situations.  If figuring out what you should have ready to take with you in case of an evacuation or what should be in your car when driving through a remote area has you completely bewildered, this book will help you get it sorted out.

ETA: This book now has a second edition, expanded and updated. This link will take you to the old addition so look for the "Newer Edition" note on the page.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2015 at 7:18pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 12:19am
Print Post  
If Y2K taught us anything it was the virtue of "customizing" your emergency plans. In the months running up to January 1, 2000, there were hordes of vendors willing and able to sell you 20 pound cans of flour, dehydrated milk, cheese and butter, rice and beans in fifty pounds sacks and Meals Ready to Eat by the case. All of this was all well and good except for a couple of things that they failed to mention and that a lot of folks failed to realize. First off, these things don't keep forever. They have a varied but still limited shelf life and need to be religiously rotated. A lot of people didn't realize that and ended up throwing out all of their carefully stockpiled food supplies when they went bad. If you are going to lay in a large -- or even not so large -- stockpile of food, you have to rotate it.  That means that you eat from your stockpile regularly and as you use it, you replenish it with new purchases. Water has to be rotated too. Commercially bottled water has a longer shelf life as a rule that what you can put up yourself but it still has an "expiration date." What I do with "expired water" is I use it to either top off the 55 gallon drums that I have in the basement (that water is used for keeping the toilets functioning) or I use it to wash what dishes I use in an emergency. The "used" water goes into a bucket and we get one final use from it in the bathroom...
Now some things, non-food items like cleaners/disinfectants, paper products, soap and the like, keep indefinitely so you can buy them, store them in a safe place and aside from periodic checks to make sure that no containers are leaking or that no critters have set up nice cozy nests in your toilet paper, you can pretty much forget about them. I personally like to rotate the liquid soaps, cleaners and such to avoid possible deterioration over time. If kept dry, bar soap will last indefinitely.  
The other thing that the bulk food vendors won't tell you is this: all the stockpiled food in the world won't do you any good if you or your kids, won't eat it. For example: Spirit will NOT eat beans (except green beans) or rice and no amount of begging, pleading or yelling will get her to do so. She will go hungry indefinitely rather than eat anything that she doesn't like so stockpiling large amounts of these foods would be a waste of money. This is an "autism thing" but it applies just as well to neurologically typical small children. If you are going to stockpile, STOCKPILE WHAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY NORMALLY EATS. That can't be stressed enough. Another thing you likely won't hear about is that an ongoing emergency situation can cause varying degrees of gastrointestinal upset from the stress alone.  Add to that, a switch to "strange" food and you have a recipe for a very miserable time, especially if toilet facilities are limited, primitive or unavailable.
Decide what you are going to stockpile, how long it will have to last and when you are going to have most of your supplies on hand. Using myself as an example. I maintain my greatest stockpiles during the winter when the need for them is likely to be greatest. A blizzard or ice storm could keep us housebound for a week, maybe more, so I make sure that we have enough to see us through. I have a plan to keep us reasonably warm if the power -- and therefore the furnace -- goes out and how to keep our perishables cold although in that situation, we use them as quickly as possible.  
The last two local emergencies have occurred in the late fall (the tornado of '02) and the early summer (the flood of '08).  In the case of the flood, we had done our "two week" shopping the day before and the tornado hit during our vacation. In both instances, once the roads were opened (which took a bit longer after the flood) we simply drove out of the affected area, got what we needed and went home. During a blizzard or ice storm, "driving out" of the affected area isn't possible so I keep what we need on hand.
More on this later.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 4:59am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
To continue on the topic of customizing your emergency plans.
If anyone in your household has any sort of "special needs", you have to plan for those as well. The elderly, pregnant women, infants/small children, the handicapped and anyone needing special diets, supplements or long term medications (such as insulin) fall into this category.

Starting with pharmaceuticals, anyone who has to regularly take a prescription drug needs to have at least a month's supply on hand at all times and do NOT wait until the last minute to get it.  My best friend, Warden Dike, who is a pharmacy technician with CVS, will back me up on this. As Katrina demonstrated so clearly in the wake of a disaster, getting things up and running can take a lot of time. Shipments to pharmacies are typically weekly (at least it is at the one where WD works) and if those shipments are delayed, the stores could run out of stock very quickly with no quick way to get more. Also, the modern pharmacy runs on computers. Your prescription records and insurance information are on file in a computer and those computers run on electricity. Cut the power to those computers and your records are unavailable. Even if the pharmacy is open, which isn't guaranteed, there is no guarantee that your prescription could be refilled or that the medication itself would even be available. You can't count on being able to leave the disaster zone and getting what you need elsewhere if communications and computers are down.  If your life or the life of someone you are planning for depends on taking daily medication, then speak to the prescribing doctor about getting a minimum of a month's supply to have on hand. Pharmacies keep track of how often you get refills on medication and some of "restricted" schedule drugs would require special arrangements to get extra supplies to have on hand. I'll repeat myself here and say: Don't wait until the fertilizer is about to hit the fan before you do this! The next thing you have to consider is storage. Like food, medications need to be rotated so DON'T stick the extras in the medicine cabinet and forget about them! Some medications, such as insulin, require refrigeration. Consider how you are going to keep vital supplies cold if the power goes out. Another thing for diabetics to keep in mind: have a good stockpile of your testing supplies, syringes and needles on hand as well as alcohol wipes and whatever else you need to maintain your dosing schedule.  A disaster situation is guaranteed to throw off your eating either by disrupting your meal schedule, increasing your activity or unavoidable changes in your diet. Monitor your blood glucose and adjust your insulin or glucose levels as necessary!
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:00am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Next, pregnant women, infants and toddlers.
An otherwise healthy mother-to-be should be able to weather the "typical" disaster without unusual problems but a woman who is near to term could go into labor triggered by stress and should be aware of this. Miscarriages are also possible. If you or someone you are planning for is pregnant and you have the option of evacuating to a location outside the projected disaster area (as in the case of an approaching hurricane) or "sheltering in place", evacuate. An area set up to handle evacuees will have medical personnel and facilities available. Labor and birth is NO fun under the best of circumstances. I do not wish to contemplate doing it at ground zero during a hurricane.
Infants and toddlers: In the case of the breastfeeding infant, the health of the mother is paramount to the health of the baby. A good diet, vitamins and clean water should be adequate to keep the mother's milk production up and baby happy. As with the pregnant mother to be, the nursing mother should do her best to keep her stress levels under control. (I know, that's asking a lot but you have to try.) For formula fed infants, supplies of "ready to use" formula in "single serving" cans, bottle liners and nipples should be part of your supplies. I recommend the "ready to use" formula because in a disaster, water could be scarce or potentially contaminated. Being able to open a can, fill the bottle and feed the baby will go a long way to reducing everyone's stress. By using canned formula and disposable bottle liners, that leaves only the nipples to wash. I recommend small cans because refrigeration might not be available and once opened, formula goes bad quickly if not properly stored. For toddlers who have started on baby foods, a large supply of what they are used to and like should be part of your food stockpile. Things like dehydrated baby cereal require extra water so that needs to be figured into your calculations for how much water you need to store. [It's better to have more water on hand than you end up needing. Believe me!] Diapers: Have more on hand than you think you will need. It is very difficult to have too many diapers in a disaster. Same with wipes and the rest of your changing supplies. Remember. You should plan for water being in short supply so have lots of "Wet Ones" and hand sanitizer in your supplies. Toddlers who have graduated to a potty can "lose" their training in stressful situations and revert to needing diapers. If the little ones in your group are less than a year or two out of diapers, keep some diapers or disposable training pants in their size in your stockpile. If you never use them, they can be donated to a disaster relief drive or women's shelter.  
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:01am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
The elderly, the handicapped and "special needs."
If anyone you are planning for comes under these categories, you are going to have to think very carefully about your disaster plan. There are many people who fit into these categories who do not require much in the way of special planning. An "elderly" individual who is in otherwise robust health who takes little to no medication probably won't need much in the way of special arrangements. Likewise, MoonCat and Spirit are considered "handicapped" and "special needs" due to their autism but they are both in robust good health. MoonCat is perfectly able to understand what's going on in a disaster and she's getting better at keeping her head in a crisis. Spirit has a somewhat harder time of it but she isn't as "oppositional" as are many with her condition and she can and does act appropriately in a crisis if not consistently. [The last time I seriously cut myself, it was Spirit who bolted for the first aid kit and helped me get myself bandaged up. I was so proud of her!] Unfortunately, there are many families with members who are not so fortunate. Those are the people who need to sit down and really think about the worst that could happen and what they could do about it. There are no standard plans for such situations and every situation is different. My best advice is to consider every possibility from most to least likely and decide what you could do in every situation to increase the chances of survival for the person you are planning for. Then plan to do it.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:02am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I ran across this link on another site. I haven't downloaded Indiana's Plan yet 'cause the PDF file looks enormous. I'll get it over the weekend when I can stay up late enough.

Influenza Pandemic Plans by State:   http://pandemicflu.gov/plan/stateplans.html

It looks like there is a lot of other info there. I'll be checking it out.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:03am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I've been working on assembling a number of survival/preparedness kits and recently undertook the task of creating homemade firestarters which are 100% cotton balls saturated with vaseline and used to start a fire. The method given in Build the Perfect Survival Kit (working the vaseline into the cotton balls by hand one at at time) struck me as being both inefficient and messy. I gave it some thought and came up with what I think is a better way.
I took a clean 8 oz. glass jar and put several cotton balls in it. Then, with a wide craft stick, I put about half a cup of vaseline in the jar. Then I put the jar on the back of the stove while I made pizzas. The excess heat escaping through the vent at the back of my stove melted the vaseline which was soaked up by the cotton balls. During the pizza making process, I checked on the jar and stirred the contents so all the balls were thoroughly saturated. When all the vaseline was melted and soaked up, I added more.
Once I was satisfied that all the balls were as saturated as I could get them, I fished them out with the craft stick and put them on a sheet of waxed paper. Once they were cool, the vaseline had gotten solid again and I no trouble putting them in the storage bottles I'd prepared -- empty aspirin bottles with regular (non-childproof) caps since the recommended 35 mm film canisters aren't as common as they used to be and I personally find the screw on caps more secure.
Once I have tested them to see if they actually work as advertised, I'll report on that too.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:03am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I haven't had occasion to test the fire tabs. With a burn ban in force for most of the summer and fall, starting a bonfire of any size was a serious "no, no!" So, that test will have to wait until until sometime in the spring.
I'm still doing research and collecting materials for "life after the Post Office." Skywise "could" retire now but doesn't plan to for at least a few more years but once he does, our income will be fixed and no one can predict what the world will be like next year, let alone five or more years from now. So, I'm making some preliminary plans. My first project is to set up a real pantry in the basement. Once I have the space set up, I'll start stocking it with the basics and expand from there. It should be an adventure...
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I got to test some of my preparations this past week and I now have a few tweaks to make.

D-cell batteries -- We were out of spares and all our flashlights and lanterns run on them.  Wal-Mart was nearly sold out when we got there. SO, I'll be building up our battery stockpile, especially since I found a really cool battery powered lantern in the camping department. I'm going to get at least one more of them and maybe two. They use LED bulbs so they get the most from the battery power and are safer than the "open flame" lamps.

Bottled water -- Need to build that stock up a bit too although with the number of empty gallon water jugs I had on hand, I was able to lay in a week's supply of drinking water from the tap. I'm going to have to work on "emergency supply storage space" this year so I can have our supplies in easy reach.

Peanut butter -- We ran out. A TOTALLY unacceptable situation! Fortunately, that was the only thing we ran completely out of.

Other than that, we did pretty good. Fortunately, the power did NOT go out and we didn't go into "crisis mode" but it was a good "dry run" nevertheless.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 2:49am
Print Post  
One thing I see that I've overlooked in this thread is pets.
Our non-human companions need to be provided for too in the event of an emergency.  Prior to Katrina, most shelters did not accommodate pets and people who had to evacuate were forced to abandon their pets and, consequently, never saw them again, even if the pets managed to survive.  Once that became known, as well as well publicized incidents of people refusing to evacuate without their pets, some shelters began to make plans to shelter animals as well their owners but in case of evacuation, you can't be sure of finding yourself in such a shelter. You should decide, well beforehand, where you will go with your pets in the event you have to evacuate and how. Dogs, cats and birds are relatively easy to transport in an appropriately sized carrier or cage as are other small animals kept as pets. Larger, more "exotic" animals such as large snakes require more planning and it should be done well before the order to evacuate goes out.

As far as "sheltering in place" goes, you should stockpile supplies for your pets in the same amounts as for any other member of your household. Familiar food, water, treats, bedding and, for cats and litter trained small dogs, kitty litter should be part of your emergency supplies. If your pets are required to be vaccinated, proof of vaccination should be kept with your other essential documentation.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:05am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I'm Canadian and the government of Canada suggests that families prepare for a minimum of 72 hours in case of an emergency like a hurricane, etc.

Government of Canada's Website for Emergencies:

http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx

This site has steps the government recommends to being prepared in case of disaster. Smiley

Tipnut's Suggestions for Canadian citizens:

http://tipnut.com/emergency-preparedness/

If I find anything else for Canadian citizens, I'll post it. Most of the resources can be used by all out there, although some of it is dealing with parts of Canada's government or resources for Canadians only.

I live in the Maritime Provinces and we get the wildest and most extreme weather in all of Canada... Those two sites have helped me out a LOT!!!

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:06am by Penthesilea »  

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 12:13am
Print Post  
As if another reminder was needed, the Japanese earthquake/tsunami provided it in spades. �I haven't been doing much planning for earthquakes since blizzards, ice storms and tornadoes are statistically more likely to happen here.
Now, however, I'm having to think about it. According to the "fault map" a minor fault that's part of the Wabash Valley Fault Zone runs through the property, just north of the Guest House in fact. So, I'm having to think about it. Fortunately, there is some overlap in planning and I just have to fill in the gaps.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2019 at 10:36pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Given the vigor of the hurricane season so far, I thought that I'd better "sticky" this thread.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:07am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #20 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
THANK YOU!! I was looking for this thread and couldn't remember where it was!!

Okay, since we currently have Hurricane Irene zooming up the eastern seaboard of the States as I type, I'm going to talk about being fully prepared for a major hurricane like this.

I may live at the more northern end of the Atlantic but we do see some hurricane activity here this time of year, and we've seen tropical storms here as late as November.

One of the first things we do when we see that a hurricane may hit my end of Nova Scotia is stock up on non perishable food... Stuff like canned tuna, soup, pasta sauce, etc. (We have a camping stove that runs on the small propane canisters so we can boil water, heat soup, etc).... We also get bread for sandwiches, that kind of thing. We also get ice for our one cooler so we can keep stuff like meats, milk, etc fresh in case of a power outage. We stock up on plenty of pet food for our two cats and our dog, and extra cat litter for the cat boxes. Pets DO need to be taken care of during a major storm too after all!!

Stocking up on water for drinking, washing, bathing, and flushing the toilet is ESSENTIAL. One of the first things we do the day before a hurricane is supposed to strike is fill up the bathtub as far as it can go for dishwater, flushing the toilet, etc in case of a power outage. We also fill up all kettles (the electric kettle and the stovetop kettle) with water for coffee, fill up LOTS of 2 litre pop bottles with drinking water and we also have a few 2 1/2 gallon jugs we fill up with drinking water. One can't have TOO much water in a power outage in my opinion!!

Another thing we do is charge up any batteries we use for lamps, etc with the converter and get gas for our tiny generator, and fill up the car. If we don't have reusable batteries for something, we purchase batteries for it, like our old radio and the flashlights that are not rechargeable.

Putting loose stuff in the yard away is NECESSARY!! Anything the wind can pick up and carry should be put away in one's shed or even in the house/basement!!! We have a small slide for our son that we dismantle and put in the shed each time we're predicted to have a storm with strong winds in it, and not necessarily a hurricane!!! Lawn furniture, garden decorations, etc can become projectiles if the winds are strong enough, which can damage the house by smashing the walls, hitting the roof and smashing out one's windows!

Putting plywood over one's windows to protect them is necessary too... That way if something does happen to hit the windows they will be protected and not break, which would mean not only broken glass all over the place but wind and rain coming into one's home, creating MORE damage.

Make sure one has things ready like clean clothing, shoes, etc packed just in case of an evacuation is essential too.... And if one has pets, make sure you have carriers, leashes, food, beds, etc ready to go into the car too, that way they can go with you if pets are allowed to be in the shelter, etc.

That's all I have for now, but will post more as things happen here.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #21 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Another thing we do here is keep a NON cordless phone on hand in case the power goes out. That way one can still call emergency services, keep tabs on the power outages from the power company, and make necessary calls if one doesn't have power but the phone lines are up.

Cell phones don't always work during a storm and do lose their charge after all! So it's best to be ready, just in case one needs to call the fire department, power company, etc. If the lines are down, make sure your cell phone is charged too, just in case! I make sure ALL of the phones we have here are at the ready because it's best to be prepared for ANY situation!

I recommend buying a stove that will NOT require power to work... Some people get propane for their gas grill so they can cook food and heat water that way but some of us still use camping stoves for cooking and heating water. Make sure you do have something that does NOT require electricity to cook during a major storm and its aftermath, that way you can still have some of your regular meals and have hot water for coffee, tea, washing, bathing, etc. If you have a propane or gas stove, be sure it's not one with an electric starter, try to get one with a pilot light in it so it can start up without power. (Thank you Penth for that little tip!!)

I also recommend washing ALL dirty clothing before a major storm, that way one has plenty of clean clothing and doesn't have to worry about having to wash the dirty clothing the day of the storm, etc and one has clean clothes for at least a week or two without having to rinse or wash anything in a power outage or flood, etc.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:45pm by Veridian Etoile »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:20am
Print Post  
It's been a while since I've updated this. Most of the information on preparedness still holds but some of the links might be dated so I'll be checking on those.

I got Skywise one of these for Christmas and he loves it so I'm considering getting one for myself (and maybe a smaller one) and loading it with the things that are currently in my backpacks and beltbag. Then I'd put it in my tote bag which, in addition to my purse, goes with me whenever I leave the house. I've realized that having "emergency stuff" in my packs does me no good if the packs are at home and I am not. So, this organizer will corral everything and fit nicely in my tote. It can also be attached to a pack or worn on your belt. I got Skywise's from Amazon and the company has a website with all sorts of goodies on it.

http://www.maxpedition.com/

A1CB6yDTSNL__SL1500_.jpg ( 671 KB | Downloads )
A1CB6yDTSNL__SL1500_.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Well, I got a Maxpedition pack like Skywise's for myself except mine is black (huge surprise, right?) and I'm currently putting stuff in it. So far, I have an Eveready Industrial LED flashlight (2 AA battery size) in it which is a bit of a tight fit but this type of flashlight is less "temperamental" than my similarly sized Maglights. I also have a waterproof container of matches in there and a magnesium firestarter with a very small Swiss Army knife on the keychain. My full sized Swiss Army knife and my Silva compass will be going in as soon as I remember where I put them! *sigh* I put them somewhere "safe" when I washed my backpack and now I can't remember where "safe" is!  Smiley I'll be picking up some paracord to add to it as well as other odds and ends I haven't decided on yet. I'll be getting some mylar emergency blankets too but I don't know if they'll fit in the bag or if they'll have to be kept in the vehicles.

I realized that it had been a while since I'd checked on the "first aid box" and I was not pleased when I did so I'm restocking that as well. I also need a new container since the one we have is showing considerable wear and isn't terribly portable. Add to that the fact that Skywise is now taking medication -- not a lot and his life won't be in immediate danger if he misses a dose but STILL! -- that in any kind of evacuation/bug out situation would need to be grabbed and rethinking the "medical bag" has become a high priority. I want it to be big enough to hold the blood pressure monitor we got right after he was diagnosed and I want to get a digital thermometer of some sort since I wouldn't want to have a glass one in an emergency kit. So I'm going to be getting another Maxpedition bag that can be used for a portable first aid kit to tuck in my "go everywhere" tote bag and a "I haven't decided what yet" case/box for the larger kit. (I wonder what EMTs use.... Must check Amazon!!) So I got a box of 100 individually wrapped alcohol swabs (the kind the nurse uses before she gives you a shot) at Walmart today (found them in Diabetic Supplies) and I'll get some providone iodine wipes from Amazon if I can't find them in a well stocked drug store. Whatever else I'll need -- aside from the usual assortment of bandages, antibiotic creams and pain killers -- I haven't decided yet. The first thing to get is a good book on first aid. There have been some changes since the last time I got one.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I've been poking around the net to see how other people are doing their first aid kits. One blog I found ended with an expiration date sheet for first aid supplies which I hadn't thought of and is a good idea since some things do expire and need to be rotated. Rather than download the one on the site, I made my own using Pages. It's a simple two column table with the items listed on one side and room for the date on the other.

I'm still looking at boxes and at the moment, I'm thinking a tackle box might be my best/most economical choice. I'll have a better idea when I can get to the local Walmart's sporting goods department....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint