Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness (Read 9498 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness
Reply #50 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I've spent the last hour or so trying to figure out if I can use regular "utility" hinges on the kitchen box. I haven't made a definite decision yet but it looks like I'm going to have to either redesign the doors on it or figure out how the original designer attached them with piano/continuous hinges. His "instructions" leave a great deal to be desired and what photos he included in his post are of very little help. *sigh* So far I've purchased two different sizes of "utility" type hinges and neither set is giving me the results I am looking for which are similar to what the original designer got. I may have to do a partial mockup of the box and get some piano hinges before I can be sure what will work and what won't.
Me <--------  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I will not have to build a testing box or buy piano/continuous hinges. I've dug though the original designer's somewhat less than methodical instructions and figured out how he intended for the doors to fit so all I need to do is buy more hinges of the type I was experimenting with yesterday and I'm all set. I'm going to have to analyze his cutting instructions (since they are scattered throughout the general instructions with no layout illustrations) to see if he cut the doors to fit the way I think he did. I "think" I have the right dimensions calculated on my redesign but before I start cutting expensive wood (and all wood is expensive these days) I want to be sure. "Measure twice, cut once" for me is more along the lines of "Draw to scale. Run numbers through the project calculator, recheck drawing, draw cutting lines on wood, check measurements, check again. Pray. Cut."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
After much consideration, I've decided to paint the kitchen box the brightest shade of "barn red" that I can find. The detachable legs will be black.

When I told Skywise that, he laughed.......

I don't think he was surprised.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015 at 2:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
*sigh* I'm going to need to refigure the length of the legs. The original design calls for legs 61 inches long. I just figured out that would put the top of the unit at 6 ft., 4 inches which is a bit "high" for me. Good thing I have a 6 foot long "yard stick"..... Lots of "figuring" in my future.
The workstation is a convenient "working height" for me so I'll use that measurement for how far off the ground the bottom of the box -- and therefore the doors when they're open -- should be. THEN, I get to draw diagrams, measure the diagrams and punch numbers into my "project calc" (which handles feet, inches, yards and suchlike measurements) to figure out how long the leg pieces should be. It shouldn't take too long....
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2015 at 8:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I was right, the "figuring" didn't take long. The legs are now 56 inches long instead of 61 inches and the top of the box will now be 56˝ tall since the legs go in at an angle. If it turns out that they're too short I can easily replace them with something longer, one of the advantages of removable legs which I can then use for something else.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:57am
Print Post  
I'm working on drawing the diagrams for the kitchen box. It's considerably less taxing on my eyes than attempting to either read or write and it's keeping me from biting my nails down to the quick while dinner cooks.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I'm currently deciding which of two camp stoves to buy since we've gotten our tax refund check cashed and I can afford it. There isn't much of a price difference and they are both 3 burner stoves. I've about decided since one stove has some design problems and the other doesn't. Interestingly enough, it is the well known brand name model that has the problems. The most serious problem is a loose gasket on the fuel line that causes the propane to leak and catch fire....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I decided to buy this stove ⬇. It is a Basecamp by Mr. Heater Deluxe 3 burner propane stove and I'm waiting for the UPS man now.
I've also measured some of the things that will go into the box and I'm designing the cubby holes that they'll fit in. I realized early on that the original plans were designed around what the guy wanted/had to put in it which is NOT the same as what I need to put in. So I've been getting the biggest/bulkiest items, measuring them and THEN dividing up the interior. The stove is last and biggest thing that will go into the box so I'll be able to start serious design work once I know how much space it is going to take up.

51IHoTyGI8L.jpg ( 36 KB | Downloads )
51IHoTyGI8L.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
The UPS man got here about 10 minutes ago. The stove is unpacked and despite damage to the shipping box, the product box and the stove are undamaged. I have the instructions and I'll be getting a little bottle of propane tomorrow so we can test it over the weekend.
And yes, it is just as red as it looks in the picture.

Post # 35,200

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Annoyed.
I asked on Amazon about what to use to connect the new stove to a 20 lb. propane tank. I got two answers, one was straight up smart "aleck" and the other assumed that I was going to be assembling a complex set up with multiple propane fired devices and more than likely attached to an RV. What I WANT -- specifically -- is what HOSE to get, preferably five feet or more long. The manufacturer's website was NO help so I guess I'll have to take the part that connects the stove to the disposable propane bottle and the stove's model number around to places that sell stuff like this -- Lowe's comes immediately to mind -- to find what I need. *grumble*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I am pleased.
I've found what I need to connect my camp stove to a larger tank -- NO thanks to Amazon! I Googled, found another vender that sells it and that site had more complete information, including confirmation that it CAN be connected to larger/standard propane tanks AND the part number of the hose assembly needed to do that. I tracked it down on Amazon (which doesn't show the part number -- dumb *censored!*) and cross checked it with the manufacturer's site. The name of the product and even the picture are the same. Since it's after 5 pm on a Friday, I'll order the hose on Monday. I bought one of the small bottles today for testing purposes but since it has to be used outside or in an extremely well ventilated area I probably won't be testing until next week. We're expecting a rainy weekend.....
*sigh* At least Skywise got the grass cut last Saturday.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #61 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I went ahead and ordered the hose this evening. Spirit had a couple of things she wanted me to order for her -- and would give me no peace whatsoever until I did -- so I went ahead and ordered it and a He-Man collectable for me which has nothing to do with "emergency preparedness" but a lot to do with "fun."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #62 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Now that I have the camp stove and the stand for it as well as some of the other stuff that will go in the Mobil Kitchen Unit, I can start some serious design work. The heaviest items -- the stove and the stand -- will be on the bottom for stability. The next heaviest items -- the cookware -- will be on the next shelf. I've already realized that I'm going to need to make the doors slightly larger since the way they apparently "fit" in the original design leaves too many gaps for dust, dirt and everything else to get in. I'm willing to bet that that particular design flaw was eventually corrected and the designer neglected to modify the online plans. "My" plans will reflect the change. I'm even drawing up cutting layouts/diagrams to help with the process.
Yes, I'm thorough about building plans!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #63 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Smiley I've been thinking about the "leg design" of the original plans which I have adapted and I'm seeing a problem. The original design presupposes the presences of a number of young men/boys capable of lifting the cook box high enough for the legs to be slid into place -- which we do not have. SO. I have to design some sort of stand for it that can be easily broken down for portability. I have an idea that could work but I'll need to puzzle it out. Thank goodness I haven't starting actual construction yet!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #64 - May 1st, 2015 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Feb 27th, 2015 at 7:32pm:

Oh.... and while doing research on the I-69 extension (may the Hounds of Hell devour the netherparts of everyone involved with planning/approving this travesty while they are still using them!) Skywise discovered that at some point there was a Magnitude 3 earthquake in the area. The epicenter was about a mile to the south of here. It didn't happen in the 20th Century and likely not in the 19th since he can't find any records of it but the US Geological Survey says it happened. JUST what I needed to hear right now! 

Skywise, persistent devil that he is, finally found out where and when that earthquake was. Actually, there were two in 1903 and the epicenter is about 1 to 2 miles (I don't remember exactly) to the southeast from here.
And on that note, I'm taking my aching head off to rest my eyes!

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2015 at 8:17pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #65 - May 4th, 2015 at 3:00am
Print Post  
I found something really cool today -- a combination camp stove and oven. I'm not going to get it now -- a tad too pricey -- and I want to do some research on them before I commit $$$$. Still, it would expand the list of what I could cook in an emergency situation or on a camp-out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - May 5th, 2015 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Skywise is still researching the local earthquakes. He's found out that the faults around here -- likely including the one running through the yard north of the Guest House -- are very, VERY deep which is why they aren't too noticeable when they shake unlike the San Andreas fault which is close enough to the surface to be seen from the air. Also the bedrock around here -- shale -- is a rather soft stone -- which I already knew -- that pulverizes easily. In a few million years with a lot of pressure applied it could turn into serious rock worthy of the name but right now, it has a lot of "give" to it as rocks go. That's probably a good thing although I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm still working on my "serious disaster" preparations. My "roads are flooded/blocked and we're isolated for a while" preps are in pretty good shape. Not completely perfect but I suspect that we're more prepared than our neighbors. I've designed a stand for the kitchen box and redesigned it again and it should be considerably lighter. NOW I just have to draw up the plans and redo the materials list....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #67 - May 7th, 2015 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I'm still redesigning the kitchen box. I've discovered that what I need to make a storage tube for the stove stand exists -- just have to find it -- so it doesn't have to go inside the kitchen box. I can put it on top and hold it in place with bungee cords. I've made a rough diagram of the "front"section and I'll see what I can do with the back section today.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #68 - May 8th, 2015 at 3:16am
Print Post  
I decided to move some items out of the kitchen box and put them in a separate bag which I was thinking that I was going to have to make. Then I discovered that Coleman has already made what I need. I'm a happy camper since the last thing I need right now is "something else" I have to make! It's a Coleman Dishware Carry Bag and I'll probably be ordering it as soon as I've rounded up everything that needs to go in it.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2015 at 4:50am by Penthesilea »  

Coleman_Dishware_Carry_Bag.jpg ( 397 KB | Downloads )
Coleman_Dishware_Carry_Bag.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - May 8th, 2015 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I bought one of the "extra" things I was thinking of getting today. Walmart had one "on the floor" and I had the cash so I got it and we now have a screen house that can be used for enjoying the outdoors without being eaten alive or as a well ventilated "cook tent." I haven't set it up yet but I'll do that later. If not today, then next week when it isn't raining.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2015 at 4:37pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #70 - May 9th, 2015 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I'm still redesigning the kitchen box. I had an idea so I'm changing some measurements and drawing more diagrams. Thank goodness I have a couple of pads of graph paper on hand!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - May 11th, 2015 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I'm currently trying to figure out and write down how to assemble the kitchen box without actually having pieces of wood to manipulate. I'm doing it all in my head at this point although I DO have three quarter sheets of plywood just waiting for me to start cutting them -- which I am NOT going to do until I have a firm idea of what I'm doing! WITH diagrams!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #72 - May 13th, 2015 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
The screen house is up. It took both of us to get it up and I'm really considering replacing the guy wires -- which are black and white paracord that's practically invisible -- with screaming neon safety orange paracord so we can SEE the damned things! There's a hook at the top of it to hang a light or a fan and I may be getting a couple each of those later. Skywise agrees that it will work very well as a "cook tent".
The SunLord approves of it but he wants to climb up on top of it and he's having NO luck. It's too flexible and wiggly for him to climb it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #73 - May 16th, 2015 at 3:43am
Print Post  
I'm FINALLY getting somewhere with the kitchen box redesign. The dimensions are set: 26 inches from front to back, 24 inches high and 38 inches from side to side. I've cut down on the number of wooden dividers -- and thereby reduced the weight -- by using plastic latch top storage boxes to keep most of the contents corralled. Sterilite had a particular design that we like. They've discontinued it so I've been buying as many of the sizes we use as I can. Anyway, most of the small(ish) items fit in the boxes which will keep them dust/dirt free while in storage and from rattling around in the big box. I've got the front section of the box designed. Now I need to do the back section and then write up the directions that I've figured out so I don't mess up when I'm cutting and gluing.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2015 at 3:46am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #74 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I had a rather "unnerving" thought earlier today...
We've had a lot of rain lately and a rather wet spring as it is. It occurred to me that if the "wetter than normal" trend continues into the winter, we could see some significant snow. I haven't been able to find rainfall totals for the last week but if it had been snow, we'd be digging out with bulldozers....
I think my winter "stock up" preparations are going to be more extensive and start earlier this year....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint