Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The "It's all for Alex" thread! (Read 18184 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The "It's all for Alex" thread!
Reply #25 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:34am
Print Post  
No luck in finding crochet bootie patterns today but I'll keep looking! I've gotta find a use for that extra red yarn somewhere! Smiley

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #26 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Grin

Ya'll are craaaaaazy.

Everything is good.  Smiley

I'll make sure the addy is ok to send care packages to, then I'll PM it to both of ya!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Yeah, we're probably crazy but it is a good kinda crazy! Smiley We both just love little people to bits! And I'm glad that things are going okay. Let us know about the addy as soon as you can. Things are starting to pile up! *Definitely gonna need a bigger box...*

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #28 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:08am
Print Post  
*chuckle* I knew I was in trouble when I saw a thread titled "It's all for Alex." Smiley

At least SOMEONE is doing black/red yarn though... everyone else things we're crazy for not just wanting fluffy pink things.  *sigh*

(I need to find my other Z-board... typing on the WoW keyboard is kind of a pain.)

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Pink is okay.... as long as it is a HOT neon pink! Hot pink and gray is one of my favorite combinations. It there anything else that you need that BR and I haven't thought of yet? Either knitting, sewing or crocheting?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 1:12am
Print Post  
....I found a bootie pattern....  Smiley I might just make up a pair in every size...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
The second afghan is about half done.  hehehehe I've had another idea. Good thing the box is big....

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #32 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:36am
Print Post  
You know, it really is better to make baby things in strong colors and black and white. Babies see those colors better, and it stimulates their minds more anyway. The exception is purple, as the receptors for that color come in during adolescence.

So yeah, I'm all for BRIGHT baby things. Pastels really seem to wash out everyone anyway. I gotta get some red yarn, and some more black yarn. I hope I can find red and black in fingering or DK weight too, as I really do want to do that dress and bonnet.

FuryRising, I hope we can have that addy soon so we don't end up taken over by baby things! Smiley

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #33 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Oh yeah, meant to say....

I "invented" a pattern for some baby mitts to match the booties! I'm gonna make a few pair of those as well. They really help keep the little ones from scratching their eyes or faces when they are little, or while they are sleeping.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:42am
Print Post  
I'm still working on the second afghan. Once it is done, I'll clear off the sewing table and start on the sewing projects.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I've been looking over my box supply and I think I'm gonna have to make a run to the office supply store when I'm ready to mail everything. The boxes I have on hand are either too small or way too big! Smiley I suppose that I could fill one of the bigger boxes but I want to leave something to make for when she's bigger! I'm making good progress on the second afghan. I am DEFINITELY going to need to make a fabric store run soon....

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #36 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Heh, I just bought two pounds of caron SS in black and red online. I'm just gonna MAKE it work for the dress and bonnet! Since it's a light worsted, it ought to work pretty much ok, and if it's too tight a knit as written, I'll go up a needle size and she will get a bigger set! LOL

I still have to finish those mitts--I got distracted a bit and put them down. Bobi kitty, the new baby kitty, has decided *I* am the perfect nap spot........like RIGHT IN MY FACE on my chest!! She is really turning into a total cuddle kitty, which is interesting in a siamese.

I have a few recipes for baby dresses now, and must pick among them before the yarn gets here. Cheesy

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 2:05am
Print Post  
The War Queen does the same thing to me! And at twelve pounds, she can be rather insistent about it! I've hit the 3/4 done mark on the afghan. Gods and Cats willing, I get it done this week and I can start on the sewing projects!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Sixteen rows and the border to go and the afghan will be done!  Smiley Then I'll get to the sewing.
I'm glad you got the yarn, BR. And it won't be a bad thing if the baby dress is a bit large. Babies, as I have previously noted, grow like cute little weeds! I usually put the girls in bright clothing too when they were little. It made them easier to spot after they got to walking and decided to give dear Mommy heart failure by wandering off! Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008 at 4:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #39 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Well, talk about fast! The yarn arrived today!

I had another "inspiration". I am now knitting a cute red cape with hood! I think I will do a dress as well, with maybe a red bodice and black skirt, but we shall see!

I still need to sew up the booties and mitts I knitted! LOL I just dislike finishing garments as I am not as good at it as I am at the straight knitting part. I also found another booties pattern I am thinking about making. It's a pattern for little black and white converse all-star booties! Too cute! We shall see if I get around to them though....I have a bunch already lined up to do.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 2:52am
Print Post  
LOL You sound as bad as me! I'm keeping the afghan next to me so that when the net gets slow or I need to think about something for the Castle, I can put some stitches in while I'm waiting and/or thinking. I'm already starting to look at cute little dress patterns.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I'll finish the afghan today or tomorrow at the latest. Then I'll tackle the sewing part of the program. I still haven't made that fabric store run but I'll give Skywise a head's up about it so we can put it on the "errand schedule" since the nearest fabric shop is about half an hour away. I might not get there until Saturday but we'll see how things go.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 6:04pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I've started putting the border on! BOY! That primary red looks bright next to the gray and black! I haven't decided how wide to make it. I'm doing a row of single crochet stitches first to make a uniform base all the way around. Then, I might leave it that way on put on another row or two. I'll probably do a few inches of any proposed border before I make up my mind. It will definitely be done tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I'm at about the halfway point on the afghan's border since I'm doing more thinking -- and therefore crocheting -- than typing on this section of the Castle! Which is absolutely THE ONLY GOOD THING about about this tangled mess of prose I'm trying to make sense of!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 2:09am
Print Post  
The first "border row" is done! The next will be easier and go faster. I haven't decided what stitch I'm going to use yet which is just as well since I need to get on the ball and get dinner ready! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
It. Is. FINISHED!!!! Smiley

I'll get started on the sewing projects tomorrow or Thursday! *flexes fingers* I'm gonna take pictures of everything before I wrap them and post them so everyone can see Alex's goodies.

Post # 9,666
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008 at 12:17am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Smiley I've had a bright idea......  Smiley Thank the Gods for the internet!

*Heads off to search with credit card at the ready.....*

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #47 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Well.

I have five more inches to do on the cape! It's been a bigger project than I thought it would be when I started--it was a simple pattern, I just knit really slow! The recipe calls for a pewter cloak clasp, but I don't know if I will do that or a soft washable frog closure. I don't really like the idea of the metal clasp so close to her face, so I will most likely go with a frog closure. That means I really should google some instructions for chinese knots soon! LOL

I hope We get that address soon! Cheesy

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
The picture of it that you showed me was simply adorable and yeah, I think that a soft frog is a good idea too. You can't be too careful with sweet little baby persons! And when you find good instructions, let me know. One of the DarkLady gowns I'm planning uses frog closures and I'm gonna need a bunch of them!
I'm getting ready to start the sewing projects. I've got to order some trims today and I needed to get a brighter light bulb to put over the sewing machine. I need a LOT of light when I'm sewing and the bulb I had in the fixture wasn't nearly bright enough. That has been remedied and I AM READY TO ROCK!

Yeah, we DO need that address pretty soon! The gifts should get there before the little princess does!

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #49 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
It would be easier on the Darklady dress to just buy the appropriate frog closures at the fabric store. I just want to make these so they will be out of the same yarn as the cape itself and soft.

I may just go with a simple knot and loop thing, as they are easier to sew onto knitted garments. I think I will do two of them though, so the cape can be snugged up a bit for cool weather. This cape *should* last her until 18 months or so, maybe longer. Either way, it will be nice for those times when fighting a sweater sleeve is just too much or when you need that "just a bit extra" over something cute to go out in.

Just for info:
This yarn washes well in cold or warm, not so good in hot, and should be tumble dried on low or medium for best results. That would go for the crocheted stuff Penth is doing as well, as it's the same brand and type of yarn. No chlorine bleach, but using borax with your wash does wonders.

20 Mule Team Borax will get grease and tomato out of silk safely, and does wonders on baby stains. You just add a half cup or so to your regular wash with your regular detergent. It is non-allergenic, and not harsh on baby skin. I use it with all my delicates and it keeps them looking nice and gets out all sorts of odd things....chocolate, blood...grease..pizza stains, etc. LOL And it's a LOT cheaper than those stain sprays and sticks too!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint