Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The "It's all for Alex" thread! (Read 18196 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The "It's all for Alex" thread!
Reply #50 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I want to find silver frogs if I can but they are proving elusive. I might have to go with black but I REALLY want silver ones. LOL
I'm gonna need to get some 20 Mule Team too. I've never liked the stain sticks or sprays.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Picking out trim is so hard! There are so many beautiful ones!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Finally got the trim picked out! I had to special order it. I couldn't find anything pretty enough locally! Fortunately, they ship Priority Mail so my order should be here super quick!
It has occurred to me that two shipments might be necessary. Finding a box that is "just the right size" is turning out to be a pain. I might have to send the "can use immediately" stuff first and the "it can wait a bit" stuff later. Smiley I hope FuryRising can get back here soon with the address.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I sent the payment for the trim this morning and received an email telling me that my order was ready to ship. Priority Mail should get it here Saturday at the latest. *rubs hands together in anticipation....*

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #54 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
OK, I have a really good "BR can really be an idiot" one for y'all!

I was knitting away on that cape, and dutifully measuring it regularly, right?
Well, I was using the WRONG measure! LOL
I need to "tink" (knit backwards) about two inches of the hood before I can finish it. I could have stopped two whole inches ago, but noooo, I used the wrong measure! lmao

I still want the addy soon so this stuff can get home before Alex does! Cheesy

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
That sounds like something I would do! LOL I have to keep counting rows and stitches.

FuryRising, is it okay for me to just send the addy to Black Rose? It would speed things up enormously if she can ship it to you direct.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
The trim arrived today and gave me another bright idea so I just ordered some more trim! Good thing that this guy ships fast. I'll send the check for it out tomorrow. muwahahahahaha. I'm such an evil little thing.....but is it ALL for Alex so it's ALL good!

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #57 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Yep, that's fine! Smiley  (Giving the addy to BR, I mean)

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Smiley I'll PM it to her a.s.a.p. We're about to head out so I'll get it done once we get back. Smiley

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #59 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Yay!!

Got the addy from Penth!

Say, if I remember right, this stuff is going to his mom's, right?
We should send something along for her too, to thank her for receiving stuff there. Maybe a card or a small hostess type giftie.

Gotta figure out which dress pattern I'm gonna knit to go with the cape and booties. She's gonna be so cute in these! Smiley

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the stuff is going to the paternal grandmother and you are right, a card at the very least is called for.
I'm going to be picking out cards and gift bags on Friday. Then I'll have a better idea of how big a box I'm going to need. And don't forget, BR, put something inside the box with the mailing address on it. That way, if something happens to the outside address label, the Post Office can open the box -- which they will to look for just such a thing -- and find out where the package goes. I usually include a note or a card in all my packages in a completely addressed envelope.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #61 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Sounds good to me!

I'm probably going to send stuff priority flat rate as I have had good success with those boxes before. All depends on how much bulk everything has when I get done. It may even be better to go UPS if USPS is too costly. I dunno, I'll see when I get there, eh?

Black Rose

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #62 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Oh, I'm gonna wash everything before I send it too. That way, things can be used right out of the box just fine. I KNOW I have knitted in a bunch of cat and dog hair, so I want to wash all that out before it goes in the mail. The babies always want to be near what I am knitting, so it just sort of gets in without me noticing right away. And if I don't put things up when I go to the kitchen or potty, there is always someone keeping it warm when I get back. I don't know why furbabies love knitting, but they do!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #63 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I hear you! My furkids have been climbing on my lap the entire time I've been crocheting! The Hearth Queen especially likes to lay on my work. So everything goes through the wash first then straight onto the tissue paper and then into the gift bag! The sewn items won't be quite as bad but they'll be washed too to get the tailor's marks out.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #64 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Yay!
*happy dance*
I just wove in the tails on the cape! IT'S DONE!!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #65 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
*Joins in the happy dance.* I'm taking my time with the sewing projects. I want to get them "just right."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 12:17am
Print Post  
*giggle* Thanks to Black Rose, I have two more projects. hehehehehe Definitely gonna need more than one shipment.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #67 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:08am
Print Post  
The second order of trim arrived today so I'm all set in the trim department! Now I need to get the sewing machine properly set up -- right needle size and all that -- and I'll be ready to rock!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #68 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I'm sitting here working on the first piece of Alex's outfits while thinking about what should happen next in the Castle. Things are going slightly better with the sewing than with the writing but, to be fair, the sewing comes with instructions! The Castle doesn't! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
First piece is nearly done! I have maybe an hour's work left and I'll probably finish it tomorrow. I have dinner to make yet tonight and tomorrow is payday so there are shopping lists and deposit slips to make out!

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #70 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I am so envious of you Penth. It seems to take me forever to finish anything, and you seem to churn stuff out almost daily! LOL

I know some of that is perception and self-criticism on my part, but you really are a whiz with handcrafts!

I did find a lovely dress to go with the cape! It is touted as a "baptismal dress", and looks nice in the white the sample was done in, but I really think it will be fantastic in the black and red. I may do a longer skirt on it than called for, depending on how it looks when I get to the suggested length.

So far, I have done the hem in red, and I'm working on the skirt in black. I guess I'm about a third of the way done with the skirt. I plan to do the bodice and sleeves in red, with black edging on the sleeves. So far, the pattern looks like it will be just right with the cape and booties.  Cheesy

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 12:04am
Print Post  
The first piece is done except for some handwork that I'll do later. I've started on the second piece and I'm changing the pattern a bit so this one won't go as fast. The two pieces after that should go pretty fast since I "know" the pattern now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #72 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Black_Rose wrote on Apr 5th, 2008 at 11:41pm:
I am so envious of you Penth. It seems to take me forever to finish anything, and you seem to churn stuff out almost daily! LOL

I know some of that is perception and self-criticism on my part, but you really are a whiz with handcrafts!

I did find a lovely dress to go with the cape! It is touted as a "baptismal dress", and looks nice in the white the sample was done in, but I really think it will be fantastic in the black and red. I may do a longer skirt on it than called for, depending on how it looks when I get to the suggested length.

So far, I have done the hem in red, and I'm working on the skirt in black. I guess I'm about a third of the way done with the skirt. I plan to do the bodice and sleeves in red, with black edging on the sleeves. So far, the pattern looks like it will be just right with the cape and booties.  Cheesy

Black Rose

I probably should point out that I can't knit worth beans and as for spinning my own yarn -- I wouldn't know where to begin! Don't sell yourself short, lady! Smiley The dress sounds SOOOOO cute! I'm sure the little DarkPrincess will look adorable in it! [Of course, she's gonna look adorable in a diaper and teeshirt but STILL!] If I get ANY cooperation at all from the Gods -- Athena, you know what I need! --  I should have everything for the first shipment done in a couple of weeks. We're getting down to the wire -- I think -- and I want the box to get there in plenty of time for delivery to the new parents to be.

FR, I know you're due in May. When, in May exactly or as exactly as you can get, are you due? Late May gives the Grandma-to-be more time to re-ship the boxes to you out there and gives me and BR a bit more time to get things perfect. Early May cuts it a little closer so let us know when our "Mail By" date is, pretty please.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #73 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Apr 6th, 2008 at 12:04am:
The first piece is done except for some handwork that I'll do later. I've started on the second piece and I'm changing the pattern a bit so this one won't go as fast. The two pieces after that should go pretty fast since I "know" the pattern now.

I'm slowly working on the second piece. I might have to backtrack and rip out a seam. I'll know shortly if that is the best way to go. Hope not, I hate having to rip out seams! Smiley  I think I'll grab a snack before I get into this. My stomach is complaining! Smiley

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #74 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Well, I got a lot done lately!

I got the dress knitted all the way to the armholes, and general consensus is that it looks better sleeveless than with sleeves, so that's the way I made it. I still need to sew a seam up the back and decide on whether it gets a button or a tie-tie, but the dress is done!

I took it to show my knitting ladies, and even though they had been appalled at doing a dress in black and red for a baby, they just LOVED the set, bar none! LOL

So now Alex has one complete set of clothes made up in red and black from me. While I was taking a break from that interminable skirt knitting, I also made myself a pair of cotton socks for summer! lmao

After I get all the details finished, I plan to take pics to post before I mail them off so you can all see them.

I too would love to know when you are due, to be sure I get things there on time---I am nearly always late with gifts, so maybe I can get it right this time!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint