Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' IV: The Revenge of the Posts! (Read 38828 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' IV: The Revenge of the Posts!
Reply #375 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 5:15am

*Yawn!* I'm heading out. No storms tonight and I'm going to take advantage of it! Everyone sleep well and be safe! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #376 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 4:10pm

Greetings. My internet connection is still wonky. I'm assuming that they are still working on the phone lines. There is a potential for more nasty weather this afternoon/evening. We'll have to see how it shapes up. I'll be here when I can and let you know how it's going. Everyone be safe.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #377 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 10:05pm

Oh happy day! Tornado Watch in effect until Midnight. The nasty weather is in Illinois and it's moving into the northwestern part of the state. It's well north of here but the night is young.
And the phone lines have finally started settling down and working right.... *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #378 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 2:26am

Well, my last post did not go through thanks to the Smiley phone lines. We've spent most of the last two hours in the basement waiting for the squall line to pass. There have been reports of large hail and other nastiness but all we got was (more) rain with the usual thunder and lightning. It's still rumbling a bit but the storms are weakening as they move east. *sigh*
This is getting old....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #379 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 4:02am

There is more meteorological Smiley incoming so I'm going to say goodnight while I can. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley
And Skywise is home, so that, at least, is all good!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #380 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 2:51pm

Morning! We're still here, thinking about building a very LARGE boat but still here. This is my second try at getting a post up. The first time, at about 10, the lights started to flicker and I had to shut down. I’m hoping that this post will go through before anything happens!
We've had about 3 inches  of rain since it started yesterday and it doesn't seem likely to stop in the near future. Normally we'd already be gone for the morning but none of us are particularly enthusiastic about going out in this mess, so here I am. The phone lines are still wonky so I’m thinking that I won’t be posting much until things get back up to speed -- such as it is!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #381 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 6:32pm

The rain has stopped, for how long is anyone's guess, and things are slowly drying out. Very slowly since everything is beyond saturated. There is some loose talk about going into town to gas up the car so I'll be back when we are. I think Someone is trying to tell me something. hehehe Details later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #382 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 7:28pm

Well that was quick.
Turns out that there is some serious flooding in town. When we arrived, the State Police were shutting down the highway going south. We tried to go north toward Indianapolis and found the highway roadblocked a few miles north which likely means that there is extensive flooding along the White river. We had to make a long detour just to get back to the road that we take to get home.
Skywise is currently plotting a route to get us out of here without encountering any high water. We have enough supplies so that's no problem.
I think I now have a powerful argument for "stockpiling" a bit more in the way of groceries in the summer.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #383 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 7:43pm

Here's a link. I've got the radio on the local radio station. They've opened several shelters in Martinsville and the National Guard Armory will be serving meals shortly. More links as they become available. I'd better email Nike and let her know we are okay....

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/16536318/detail.html

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2008 at 10:54pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #384 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:48pm

I have the television on now. A spokewoman for the American Red Cross is saying that this disaster is "off the charts" as far as comparing it to past disasters. Once the water recedes, we'll find out how many roads are washed out as well as flooded. The nearest reporting station recorded 8+ inches of rain in the last 24 hours. So far, no one has died. At least one dam has broken, virtually all the highways heading to the south in Indiana are closed and basically, that part of the state is cut off except by boat. It is being compared to the 1913 Flood. Places are being flooded that have never flooded before. I'm glad my parents bought some of the "highest ground" in the county.....
Life is going to be "rearranged" for quite a while.

Post #10,777
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:50pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #385 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 4:58am

The connection is getting cranky again so I'm going to head out. Time enough tomorrow for my thoughts on the cards I drew tonight and the book that keeps opening to the same section. The weather is quiet and I'm grateful that my house is dry and the power is on. Maybe now, things will settle down and I can write some next week. I'm just glad that Skywise didn't work today. If he had gone in -- and managed to get out of the county -- he wouldn't have been allowed back in since all the highways that lead to this part of the county are closed tonight.
Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #386 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Greetings! The internet is still a bit wonky, understandable since we're still in "disaster status". It's clear and hot and everyone is hoping that there are no "pop up" thunderstorms today. I've been trying to find information on what road are closed/open but so far, I haven't found the right combination of search words. *sigh* Maybe the local radio station is back on the air by now....
Anyway, we're all okay if a bit stir crazy. I think it is the knowing that travel will be difficult is the cause of that.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #387 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:23pm

We just got back. We decided to see if we could get out of here. Going into town was out of the question so we decided to see if we could get to Greenwood. The highways that don't run alongside a major river are emerging from the water and mud and are passable. There are some washouts along some sections that qualify as ravines but the highways themselves are open. So we got to Greenwood, got some lunch and did the shopping we would have done on Saturday. Fortunately, nothing that we needed was absolutely critical so if we hadn't be able to get out, it wouldn't have been a BIG problem. And Skywise WILL be able to get to work tomorrow and gas up the car! So that concern is off of our minds.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #388 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:17am

We've spend a quiet afternoon and evening: surfing the Web, reading, playing video games. We talked to Nike on the phone for a bit. Her dad was watching the international news this morning and, knowing where we live, called her and told her that she might want to check on us. Smiley The connection was lousy and the storms we will have Monday night/Tuesday morning were knocking on her door while we talked so we didn't cover all the ground we wanted to but she knows we're safe and we know that she's safe. At least for tonight. Then, after dinner, we watched the late news and saw places that we know swamped in muddy brown water -- the Ace Hardware that we've shopped at since it opened before Skywise and I were married, the Burger King where we ate lunch on Friday, the Subway, the Walgrens, the Pizza Hut, the Ford dealership, the bank...
We'll probably go into town tomorrow to see how things are. We'll need to plan for payday which is Friday.  If our usual bank branch doesn't have an alternate location by then, we'll go to the downtown branch to cash the check. The Wal-Mart was open today but we don't know if the grocery we go to escaped -- the Kroger store didn't -- so we might have to go to Greenwood for groceries and we need to plan for that. Life is going to be disrupted for a while but not as much for us as for others. Our house is still here and undamaged. All our "stuff" is still here and there will be no heartbreaking "going through" to see what, if anything, can be salvaged. I cooked dinner tonight in my own kitchen and will sleep in my own bed rather than eating a meal cooked by someone else at a shelter and sleeping on a cot in a high school hallway. My girls and my furkids are here and safe. And so is my beloved.
I can ask for nothing else and I'm grateful.
I'm heading out for the night. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #389 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:42pm

Morning! Skywise went into town a while ago and was able to get the car filled up. I don't think he'll let it get below half a tank again. For one thing, it takes entirely too much money to fill it when it gets that low! He didn't stay to look around but he said that things look more normal than they did. It is supposed to rain again this evening. With luck, we'll get enough to wash the mud off of the roads and no more than that. We've had enough rain....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #390 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 4:59pm

Life is getting back to normal. Rain in tonight's forecast. PLEASE, Dear Gods, NOT SO DAMNED MUCH AT ONE TIME!!! (Skywise says that someone has really ticked off the Rain Gods!)
I nosed around online and found out where to take our recyclables. The drop off we were using was closed without notice and no hint as to where the other drop offs were. Thank the Gods for a "Keep Indianapolis Beautiful" website that is kept up to date! We'll have to go a bit out of our way but we'll wait until we have a good load so it will be worth it. I also found places to take discarded/broken electronics [Televisions, VCRs, microwaves..  THANK YOU, GODS!] and another place to take corrugated cardboard and still another for Double A and Triple A batteries which, given the girls' addiction to battery operated devices, we go through like you would NOT believe! SO! We will be getting some of the clutter cleared out of here!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #391 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 7:39pm

DAMN!
It's thundering and there is some light orange showing on the radar. I was hoping that it would hold off longer..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #392 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:37pm

The storm line is past us and we didn't get much out of it, thank the Gods! I called Skywise as soon as everything was well past 'cause the radar looked horrible and he can keep an eye on the weather at work but the storms seemed to peter out when they got here. I'll have to check the regional radar to see if any more is coming but it looks to be clear for a while and we'll take whatever respite we can get!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #393 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:35am

I'm back. The power went off at about 8:30 and just came back on a few minutes ago. *sigh* I'm now an hour behind on my dinner prep. Off to the kitchen....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #394 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:40am

DAMN!! Here we go again! Storms moving in. May disappear without warning. Hope the power stays on!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #395 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:51am

Skywise is home and it's raining again. It hasn't been that steady, neverending, "celestial fire hose" kind of downpour that we had Friday night/Saturday morning but it has been coming down pretty good in short spurts. Fortunately, unlike last Friday, the storms are moving along at a fairly good clip. With the blessings of the Gods, the rain will be out of here by morning and stay gone for a few days. I'm past ready for it to quit. I wanna think about something besides rain, thunderstorms, power outages, roads being closed, roads being opened, "can we get to town, any town and what is 'Plan B' if we can't? *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #396 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 5:24am

It's still raining. *sigh* Heading out. Everyone sleep well, be safe and stay as dry as possible. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #397 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:28pm

Afternoon! We're back. We went into town to get a new microwave 'cause ours finally gave up the ghost and to check things out. There is still a lot of cleaning up to do but the water has receded from most places. The bank isn't up and running yet but if it takes too long to get the building ready, they will do what they did after the '02 tornado -- get a secure double wide and set up shop! The grocery store we normally go to escaped the flood so it will be open. And it was BUSY when we drove by since the biggest store in town -- the Kroger -- got flooded. If you saw the video of the Ace Hardware or the apartments behind it being evac-ed by boat, the Kroger is in the same strip mall as the Ace.  And yes, last night's rain washed things off a bit but you can still catch occasional whiffs of sour mud. I would imagine it's gotta get worse before it gets better. There are industrial sized dumpsters everywhere.
We ate at one of the few restaurants in town that are open, the Wendy's. Most of the others are in or around the two strip malls and along the highway where they can catch the through traffic and this time, caught the rain water. The Wendy's is on the highway too but just high enough that it escaped being flooded. Yeah, they were very busy today. Anyway, we'll be able to do our regular routine on Friday without too many variations which is important when you have autistic people in your family.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #398 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:51pm

Energetically speaking, things seem to be settling down. The girls are calmer and I don't seem to be as nervous as I have been. Of course, thanks to the "nervous nibbles" I've had all weekend, the damned damage is done! *sigh* Gonna have to crack the whip over myself to make up for that. At least there is no rain in the forecast for a while!
My creative cognitive functions are beginning to perk up a bit, I've got an idea for a post/discussion in the Negative Magick section but that needs to jell a bit yet and I do feel some introspection coming on! The Goddess cards have been interesting the last few days but I've been too unsettled to really think about them. And right now, I should be giving some attention to the dishes in the sink and the laundry waiting to be done. So I'll do that and while my hands are busy with mundane work, I'll see what my little brain will come up with for later..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #399 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:57am

I think I might have that Dark Path forum topic ready to go. It's hard to concentrate on such a weighty subject with kids and cats and dishes needing attention. Smiley And I'll need to start dinner soon but I'm gonna finish this first! I need to get it out of my head so I can go on to the next thing!
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:59am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40
Send TopicPrint