Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' IV: The Revenge of the Posts! (Read 39154 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' IV: The Revenge of the Posts!
Reply #700 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 4:57pm

*sigh* My simple little "go buy the slave girl/dancer who appears dancing in the Castle Pub at the beginning of that chapter" scene has turned into a multi-page mini adventure with threats, torture, magick and messy bloodshed. NOT gonna have a problem making page count on this one. DEFINITELY have two chapters, fat ones from the way things are shaping up!
And I've barely gotten started. I do wish I knew, or could find out, more about fighting wildfires. I can find news accounts but nothing on technique. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #701 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 6:56pm

Smiley I just checked. I've added 7 pages to Chapter 7 and I've barely started! I'm beginning to get the unsettling feeling that I might have three chapters here by the time I'm done since I refuse to have chapters longer than 40 pages! I need to type a few more sentences and then take a "think" break.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #702 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 10:49pm

Smiley[smiley=Grrrr09.gif]Smiley[smiley=Grrrr09.gif]Smiley
Life would be a lot easier right now if Writer's Digest had a Writer's Guide or Howdunit book about firefighting in general and wildfires in particular but if they do, I can't find it! They have tons of books on police procedure -- I have a few of them -- and "criminal procedure" -- dozens of crime "how to's" at my fingertips but no information on how to fight wildfires. Smiley Maybe they think that if the information is public, untrained persons will try to fight their own fires. *more SmileyPlus my eyes are giving me fits today. It's either eyestrain from Hell or fall allergies. Either way, the effect is the same -- massive watering and an inability to focus.  I guess I'll just keep pounding the words out and making heavy use of "delete" until it sounds right.

*Goes off muttering darkly to look for "Firefighting for Dummies....*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #703 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:22am

I'm making some headway on the research.  I've managed to pry some basic information out of the internet but it's slow going mainly because my eyes will NOT stop burning and watering! *sigh* I may have to cut and paste the relevant information into a word doc so I can increase the size of the print, easier to read that way.
At the moment, it looks like Chapter 8 might be finished before Chapter 7.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #704 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 1:17am

Smiley Eliminating contemporary references from the novel. For instance: While whiskey is available at the Castle, no one has ever heard of "Jack Daniels" and I'm pretty sure that they don't have Coca-Cola!  *sob!*
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 1:21am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #705 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:37am

I've decided that they DO have Coca-Cola and root beer at the Castle. I just have to find other names for them...
But that is for tomorrow. I'm a tired little writerperson and my eyes, while better, are still not a hundred percent so I'm going to head out in hopes that my creativity will not be short-circuited tomorrow by aching eyeballs. Skywise is home so all is well. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #706 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Afternoon! The AT&T man has been here and gone. He arrived a little after 9 a.m. much to our surprise. After much running around the neighborhood he found and corrected the problem. A wasp nest were it shouldn't be and judging from the amount of time we've been having trouble with the line, it was probably a big one. I'm assuming that he was properly armed 'cause he's gathered his stuff and left and we now have a dial tone that doesn't make my ears bleed so the wasps and their nest must be history.
I've been occupying myself with other things this morning, giving my writer side a rest. I'll see how it goes this afternoon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #707 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:15pm

I am slowly managing to improve on my natural disaster.  The difficulty has been that I can "see" what is happening but I haven't been able to describe it to my satisfaction. I'm having a bit more luck today so I'm going to remain hopeful that as the afternoon progresses, the process will get easier.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #708 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:54pm

I gave up and turned the a/c back on. I was hoping to get through today without turning it on but no such luck. It was just too humid and dripping sweat onto the keyboard --- which I was in danger of doing --- is a bad thing! So things are cooling off here, my new purse is shaping up -- I've been working on the inside first 'cause I'm adding a lot of pockets and compartments -- and I'm making progress on the novel. I've been adding, tweaking and finding typos that I missed yesterday when my eyes were bothering me so much. I'm starting to feel cooler and therefore a bit hungry -- being hot takes away my appetite -- so I think I'll scare up a small snack before I get back to my projects.
And yeah, I'm thinking about a journey post. Nothing concrete yet. Be patient! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #709 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 1:16am

Ahhh.. the sun has set. It is FINALLY dark and "Nocturnal Girl's" creative juices are FINALLY starting to flow!
Now if I can just stay awake long enough to get some work done!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #710 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 2:43pm

Morning! *Yawn!* Not awake yet. Need tea. I have a hankering for a new bedroom phone, something gothy maybe......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #711 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 6:24pm

We had to make a quick trip into town and when we got back, we discovered that 2 of the 4 phones in the house don't work.  Skywise is going to see if he can figure out what the problem is and if he can fix me. Me, I'm really gonna start looking at phones!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #712 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 12:45am

Dishwasher's loaded, work is progressing on my new purse, the Hearth Queen is gonna slap the SunLord silly in about a minute and slow, steady progress is being made on the [literary] forest fire.
All is good.
Still looking at phones when I have time. Finding something suitable is gonna take time.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #713 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 4:45am

Skywise is home with the paycheck and he's racing cars on the Wii at the moment. The purse and the novel are progressing nicely. I need more interfacing for the purse and the laptop case and I'll get that tomorrow.
I'm tired but I feel really good tonight. Everything is gonna work out like I want it too. I know it. *Yawn* Time for me to head out. Busy day tomorrow.
Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #714 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 4:43pm

*Yawn!* Afternoon. We're back from town and bags of supplies are sitting all over the place. Much "putting away" is in my immediate future. I got eight and a half yards of the heaviest pellon that I could find. I'll probably use about 3 yards of it on the purse, a yard or two on the laptop case and the rest will go into my "have on hand" stores.
I didn't sleep too well last night. The Lord of Samhain decided to sleep on me. Now the War Queen does the same thing but she usually only stays long enough for a good bonding and a doze and then she either settles on the computer chair in the bedroom or on my pillow at the top of my head.  His Lordship settled in for the night!  He also wanted to be petted as he fell asleep. So there I was with a cat on my chest for most of the night and since I didn't want to squish the kitty -- or have him slip off of me in his sleep and try to catch himself with this claws. OUCHIE!!! -- I did not sleep as well or deeply as usual. There's either a catnap or an early bedtime in my future!
Now, I'm gonna make some tea, put a few things away and do a little writing work as I've decided on a "Castle name" for root beer!  Smiley  Up next: what to call "Coca -Cola!"
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2008 at 4:08am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #715 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:48pm

Hmm....  In a fit of unabashed exuberance , the SunLord has attacked my feet and untied one of my shoes.Smiley Lil cute stuff!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #716 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:16pm

Well, the writing is proceeding nicely and I've ordered a phone to replace one of the ones that has died. Can't complain, we've had these two phones for nearly 30 years now although when I think of what we've spent on leasing, I cringe. This is the site I ordered from.

http://www.frillfreephones.com/index.html

I still haven't found a bedroom phone that I like yet. I might have to get sneaky with my Google searching.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:33pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #717 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:22pm

Smiley The phone I want to replace is out of production by the original manufacturer which I knew. The color is apparently rarer than rare which I did NOT know and the only manufacturer that is now making this style of phone ONLY makes it in pale blue, pink and yellow. [insert green faced 'ick' smiley here] Now, there is a company that will take one of those blue, pink or yellow phones and paint it in any of an extensive pallet of colors. IF I'm willing to fork over $229 plus shipping, handling, blah, blah, blah...
Anyone who knows me already knows what I'm thinking....Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #718 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:54pm

The wildfire is coming together, slowly, but it's coming.  Cutting back and forth between protagonists is a bit of a pain but I think I'm managing the transitions pretty well and keeping the story straight. I think that some of the lesser supporting cast need a bit more development and this section is a good place for it if I can do it without being too obvious.
The "chapter" is up to 70 pages now and I haven't really done anything with the second half of it yet. My provisional chapter break is at page 35 at the moment and I know it's going to be over 40 pages. The question is do I skimp in spots or write the thing and have the chapters break at less than ideal places or simply yield [luuuvve that word!] and go with longer chapters. Smiley

I find myself being quietly and profoundly happy this evening, verging on joyous. I have no particular reason to be. I just am. Maybe that is the Universe's way of letting me know that things are gonna be okay....
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2008 at 12:03am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #719 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 4:06am

*Jaw cracking yawn!* Okay, I have, as they say, "hit the wall".
What will be chapter 7 is over half finished so I'm happy with the day's work and don't feel guilty about quitting early. I'm falling asleep in front of the computer and my fingers are rapidly forgetting how to touch-type! I'm also having trouble composing sentences that make sense!
Skywise isn't home yet but it is still time for me to head out. I might JUST manage to get ready for bed before I fall asleep!
*Yawn!* Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #720 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 4:09pm

Afternoon! I slept like a log last night as I suspected that I would.  The War Queen and I started off the night together but she moved off some time in the night.  We had a good cuddle before I passed out anyway.
I'm hoping to get chapter 7 mostly finished today. At least, I think it is about ready for someone else to read. I'll devote the day to it and see how it reads after 24 hours. Then it will be on to chapter 8 which will be challenging for reasons that I'm not gonna reveal here! *giggle* You'll have to read the book!
Off to make tea and see what sort of literary trouble I can get in to! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #721 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:19am

The disaster is pretty much done. There are a couple of spots I'm still not entirely happy with but I'm going to leave them for now and move on. I'll go back and see what I can do to improve them when the rest of the chapter is done.
I finally got an incantation I was happy with so that bit is finished now too. I cut some stuff out that was looking extraneous so Chapter 7 won't be quite so huge.
All in all, things are looking good.   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #722 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 5:00am

Well, Chapter 7 isn't going to get done tonight. On the other hand, I've probably reached the halfway point in the first draft. [Kinda hard to know where "halfway" is when you don't know where the end is! Smiley ] Yay me! So, I'm heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley[smiley=goodnight.gif]
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2008 at 5:03am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #723 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:03pm

Morning! Didn't sleep real well last night. The Lord of Samhain was using me for kitty furniture most of the night. I don't know why he's doing it but he's quite enamored of me at the moment. The only time it was a REAL problem was when I woke up and he was lying across my neck! He's a bit heavy for that. And I believe that the Hearth Queen was tromping over me at some point in the night as well. At least one of the Queens was and the War Queen "feels" different, if that makes sense.
It's looking good to finish Chapter 7 today and if I'm in the mood, I might start arranging my thoughts for a journey post.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #724 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 8:40pm

Things are going well. I've split Chapter 7 into Chapters 7 and 8 and I'm working on 7 at the moment. I had to take a break earlier because my eyes decided to get cranky on me but I used the 'rest time' to decide what to write. I also fell asleep so I should be able to make it to bedtime! Smiley I had an interesting dream just before I woke up. Looked it up in my dream book and consequently I'm very happy. It would appear that things are starting to come together. We went into town for a late lunch. I was unhappy that the 'summer promotion' sandwich I wanted was no longer available but... hehehehehehe when I mentioned that I really NEEDED to figure out how to make the special sauce that goes on the burger, she told me what it was! Do I need to say that I immediately picked some up at Wal-Mart?
Didn't think so! *giggle* Gonna get some really good hamburger buns -- probably during vacation -- and do a little experimenting. I was looking at a bigger George Foreman grill and a new deep fat fryer too while we were there.....
I already make a nice selection of milk shakes... Welcome to Penth's Fast Food Emporium! 
I will now get some fresh tea and get back to writing. I'd STILL like to get Chapter 7 done today!
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2008 at 8:49pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40
Send TopicPrint