Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My new MySpace/Boy, this Land is Strange! (Read 3323 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

My new MySpace/Boy, this Land is Strange!
Oct 19th, 2008 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Skywise suggested recently that I broaden my online horizons and it occurred to me that no horizon is broader than MySpace sooo.... I’ve spent most of the last four hours getting a mySpace profile/page set up. My only complaint is that it’s loading very slowly but then everything is loading slowly today so I suppose I can’t complain!
I still haven’t figured out how to put my profile pic in -- if there is a tutorial on mySpace, I haven’t found it yet! -- and I’m still using the generic background (I'm going to do something about that as soon as I find something that screams "me" and I figure out how to install it!) but it is otherwise ready for public display. So click the link and stop by. I have it set to “public” since if something is private, I don’t post it! (Very simple way to keep private things private!) Leave a comment if you like and if you’d like to be on my friends’ list, make it known and I’ll try to figure out how to add you! I’m trying to figure out how to get the most out of mySpace so if you have any advice/tips, let me know.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=268274...
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2008 at 6:54pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: My new MySpace/Boy, this Land is Strange!
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Well, I've gotten my avatar up. I'm not exactly sure why what I did worked but it did so I'm not gonna complain about it. Now, I get to figure out to change the background once I find a background I like. Gonna need some graphics too but nothing too "busy". It takes long enough to load on dial-up and yes, the writing break seems to be helping my creativity. I'm starting to get some ideas of what to do with some of the stuff I have to deal with.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Well, my profile page is no longer generic. It's a long way from perfect but at least it is black/red/gray so that's a step in the right direction! I'm gonna have to get creative. I hunted through pages and pages of slow loading layouts and didn't find anything that really grabbed me. So I'm going to be hunting down suitable graphics for my own customized layout. I've got some ideas if I can just find what I need. *sigh*
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 1:44am
Print Post  
I've been fooling with my profile layout. I went back to the site where I got it, dug into the thing and increased the font size on just about everything. That improves it enormously. Dang tiny print! (Yes, I use the large text template here on SS! I'm one of the reasons that D made it!) I may go looking for some graphics to add to it but that's a job for another day.
I want to make my own layouts eventually but I need to find suitable artwork first. I'm so NOT into fairies and suchlike things. I know exactly what I want, I just have to find or make it. *sigh* 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I wish that Google was more precise.  I'm telling it exactly what I want for my MySpace profile page and it dumps a load of useless links in my lap. Most of them aren't even graphics sites, fer crying out loud!  When I do find a site that might be useful, I have to plow through another load of useless stuff 'cause more than half the time, the sites don't have things sorted very well, if at all, and no efficient way to search. Since graphics sites take forever to load on dial-up, I spend a lot of time finding out that what I want isn't there. I'll figure out how to make what I want if I have to but it would be easier if I could find it ready made. That way, I don't have to figure out how to get it where I want it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I'm quite annoyed with MySpace at the moment. First off, it gave me attitude about logging in this afternoon. When I finally got that straightened out, I decided to add another "interest" box to my profile -- which is why I wanted to log in in the first place. I went to "Pimp My Profile", made the box, got the code and installed it. Everything was fine except...
the contact box that I installed yesterday -- and that was there before I started the modifications -- was gone. As in "empty space." Smiley
So I starting trying to figure out the problem. Long story short, I stripped out all my modifications including the profile layout and started over. I STILL can't get the contact box I had earlier today back. Again..Smiley I've decided that I'm going to have to try to put the code for the contact box directly into the layout code. All I have to do is find the code for the box that's there and replace it with the new code. Then test the hell out of it. Unless I lose my mind, I'm not going to do it tonight. And for the third time..Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 1:04am
Print Post  
YES!!

I took another stab at it and now everything is as it should be. I still don't have my extra "interests" table in but it can wait. After going over the code, I'm of the opinion that the problem wasn't with the code but with one or both sites.

I will now get back to chapter 13 and get dinner started. The meat should be thawed by now....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Skywise has inspected my MySpace page and pronounced it appropriately "witchy". *giggle* That pleases me.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a MIL* graphic to it but I don't like either of the ones I found on Pimp My Space. I might have to go farther afield or eventually design something more to my taste. There is a particular symbol I want to put on my page that I haven't found yet. I may have to create it myself, scan it onto my desktop and then figure out how to get it where I want it. hmmmm Maybe I could combine the two. That would save space.... 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I finally managed to find the symbol I have been looking for and it is now installed on my MySpace profile so that is one thing there taken care of. I'm now thinking about creating a MIL* graphic I like. That could take a while but I'm thinking I could install it the same way I did the Infinity Heart. It's given me some ideas anyway.  I may fool around with Pimp my Profile's banner generator later...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:19am
Print Post  
I was fiddling with my profile again. I got a bright idea, went to Pimp My Profile to see if I was right. I was and I was able to edit the layout code, thereby tidying things up a bit and I was able to get rid of something I didn't particularly like in the original layout.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Having gotten my profile 'pimped' to suit me, tonight I've been tinkering with the blog. I increased the font size, much easier on MY eyes, and got rid of the annoying -- not to mention eye straining -- default background colors. My blog page is now done up in nice, soothing blacks and grays. Smiley I can't help it! "Bright" whites on the computer make my eyes ache and that insipid pale blue set my teeth on edge. So, SO NOT Penth!! I experimented with some bright red but it didn't work like I wanted it to so I went with the blacks and grays. Maybe I can figure out how to use it another night. There is still some blue I haven't figured out how to change but if I can't figure out how, I'll live with it. What I REALLY wish that they had was a "cursive" style font like I used in my MILF banner on my profile. I LOVE those font styles. They look so elegant. *sigh* And sexy. Mustn't forget that!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 1:48am
Print Post  
I've been fooling with my profile page again. I've figured out how to get my "Interests" to look like I want them too, except for Music. It persists in being small gray print instead of larger red print like the rest of it. I've been changing color codes in the layout but so far, I'm not seeing any difference. I hope I don't have to go back and redo the whole layout to fix that one little glitch. Can't do it tonight anyway. It's time for dance practice. I want to get it out of the way before I get dinner on and it's getting a bit late!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I'm indecently pleased. I fixed the problem on my profile. I don't know what caused it but everything in the "music" section was acting like a "search link". When I went to edit profile, I saw the little note saying that you could disable links by putting <z> in the appropriate box. I put it in the "music" section and it fixed the problem there but then it moved to "movies..." Smiley Seeing a pattern developing, I put <z> in the rest of the boxes that could have clickable links in them. THAT solved the problem once and for all. I'm thinking that it's being caused by a bug in the code of the layout I'm using. It's fixed so I'm not going to give myself a migraine looking for the bug, especially since I'd have to learn HTML first! Smiley I know that it's simple compared to the now extinct programming languages I learned back in the day but I really don't have time right now. I've got one book in second draft and proofreading -- hope to be shopping it around fairly soon -- and two more in the pipeline with another in the plotting stage. Again..Smiley No time for anything like learning a programming language for fun! (I'm doing the belly dancing for fun!)   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I am "not happy" with mySpace at the moment, to express it politely.
My account has been frozen due to "excessive failed attempts at log in."
Ahem...
I entered my password correctly. (My browser fills it in automatically.) They slapped me with a verification code, which I entered correctly. The browser crashed and I started over. They hit me with another code that didn't load completely and THEN crashed my browser necessitating starting over AGAIN  with YET ANOTHER verification code which they refused to accept and crashed the browser AGAIN. So I did a complete restart, entered ANOTHER verification code -- CORRECTLY -- and they locked the account. If I could pummel the hell out of someone -- and it actually would help! -- I'd do it right now.
Mercury must be retrograde or something......

Methinks that mySpace can go to hell today.....

Post # 12,200
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:43pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I knew mySpace had to be good for something!
I was poking around with the "search" function and located someone who looked like she could be someone Nike and I knew "back in the day". She has her profile set to private but I was able to look at her picture gallery and one of the pictures she had there is one that she sent me years ago. I've sent her a message on mySpace and now, I get to wait.
I warned her that I've been through considerable changes since last we communicated. She reads my profile, she will be shocked! Shocked, I tell you! But she's a Taurus so she's resilient!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint