Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts! (Read 39385 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts!
Reply #225 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 6:45pm

Skywise is on his way. He'll be working on the dock again today and he's bundled up good. It's 6 degrees now. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer in the city. I'm going to turn the internet off a bit after two so he can call us if he wants too. I have to give Moonie some warning. She's discovered the joys of chat and she's chatting with some of her buddies right now.

I'm getting some ideas for simple "set dressing" for the living room in the Guest House. It has a big window that, with the fireplace, dominates the room. I think I can do a "drapey" window treatment that won't cost an arm and a leg.

If I'm going to even consider doing floor work, I've really got to work on my quads, preferably without completely and permanently blowing out my knees. Having strong quads won't do me any good if I can't walk. Obviously. Research is needed...
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 6:47pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #226 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:00pm

Something's going on. The neighbor's dogs (northside) are raising hell. At least, I'm pretty sure that I'm hearing dogs, and the War Queen and SunLord are agitated. The noise was loud enough that I heard it over the DVD I had playing plus the DVD Spirit has going in her room.
Yeah, the doors are locked...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #227 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:33pm

Things have settled down. No idea about what was happening though. The temp is up to 11 degrees. Dang! It's a heat wave! I've decided to make chili for dinner. Something both hot and a bit spicy sounds good tonight. Skywise is working on Saturday and the holiday (Monday) so I won't see much of him this weekend. Poo! Oh well, MLK Day never seems like a holiday anyway and the holiday pay rate is good.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #228 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 1:28am

I got a mess of jewelry findings today and I've been working with them all afternoon. They're exactly what I've been looking for. The "downside"? They're supposed to take 10mm cabochons but my 10mm cabs don't fit. The reason? Well, if I'm seeing correctly, the cabs are 10mm at the base BUT they flare outwards slightly about 1.5mm from their bottoms which makes them impossible to set in these particular findings. SO! I'm going to have to order some 8mm cabs which should fit in the settings and not wiggle too much. I've already broken a prong on one setting and had to take it out and replace it. I'm going to assume that the "centerpiece" setting will have the same problem. I'm going to order both 14mm and 12mm cabs for that. I've decided to make a necklace out of these same findings so I'm going to need to order more before the catalog expires or they run out. Fortunately, black onyx cabochons are always available. [Have I mentioned how much I love black onyx?]

I took a break from proofreading this afternoon and I'm hoping the rest will sharpen my eye for mistakes. The "find the error" part of my brain was starting to shut down last night. I'll probably do a bit tonight since I can't do any more on the jewelry piece I'm working on.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #229 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 6:00am

Skywise is home, thawed and fed. I'm beat and heading out. It's 7 degrees right now, up one from the last time I checked. *Yawn*
Skywise is working tomorrow but we might go out for a little shopping and lunch before he leaves.
Everyone sleep well, stay warm and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #230 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 7:52pm

Afternoon! We're having a heat wave. It's 29 degrees right now!
Skywise is headed for work and I'm wondering where to start. The way my eyes are watering, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to retreat until the sun has obliterated more of the snow cover! Oh well, my eyes get a little rest and I can proofread some while waiting for that essential but frequently entirely too bright ball to descend toward the west. *sigh* Night is my time. I just wish more of the world around here was "open" when I'm on the prowl....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #231 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:16pm

*happy sigh* The sun set a few minutes ago, it's cloudy and already dark. Yay!! The temperature has climbed to a balmy 35 degrees and things are starting to thaw slightly -- including yours truly!! 
I think that belly dancing is starting to become a "habit." I find myself practicing the hip isolations without thinking about it. Yesterday I was waiting for the weather forecast to come on and I realized that I was standing there doing "figure eights!" *giggle* Pretty nice ones too! Later, I caught myself doing "inverted vertical hip circles" a.k.a. inverted "snake hips" while waiting for the sink to fill. *more giggle!*  Oh well, as the teachers on the DVDs say "All this movement takes, is practice!"  I'd taken the week off because of Mischief's passing but come Monday, I'll be back shaking my booty. As a hip isolation, of course!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #232 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 12:27am

I've ordered more of the jewelry findings that I got yesterday. My design took nearly all that I had ordered and I want to have some spares on hand in case of disaster. I also ordered a couple of dozen in a smaller size. I want to make a necklace to match (I already have what I need for earrings.) and a "chain" made of these findings will look MUCH cooler than a regular chain, given what it is supposed to be.  Once I know how many and of what size I'm going to need, I'll order the stones.
I got a new catalog from the same jewelry supply company today and they have what looks to be the kind of bells I need for my belly dancing costume. I'll order the minimum and see if they are. If so, I'll get a bunch more before the catalog expires so I'll be set for the foreseeable future. Since these bells appear to have strikers in them I won't need to use tons of them to make some noise. I do love the "jingle" of a fast moving hip belt....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #233 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 3:51am

*sigh* So much for a pretty day tomorrow. At least it will be warmer than it has been for which I am suitably grateful.  I'll be glad when Skywise gets home....

Indianapolis Area
Rest Of Tonight: cloudy. Patchy light freezing drizzle. Chance of snow after midnight. Lows around 19. West winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.
Sunday: mostly cloudy. Chance of snow showers until midday, then chance of flurries in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 20s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30 percent.
Sunday Night: mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Lows around 14. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings zero to 10 above zero.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #234 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 5:44am

I've been sitting here listening to SunLord purr and studying this jewelry piece.  I'm trying to find a way to get the 10mm stones to fit. The design looks perfect with stones that size -- I managed to set two of them properly so I have an idea of how it would look -- and I'm afraid that 8mm stones won't look as good. The settings are silver plated brass and I think that they met specifications before they were plated. I need 20 for the design and I've ordered another 4 dozen settings. I hope that they are still in stock since they were in one of the company's interim catalogs. *sigh* Worst comes to worst, I'll break the prongs off, file down the stubs and glue the stones on. That's not the way I'd prefer to do it but if that's the only way...
*sigh* I hope Skywise gets home soon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #235 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 6:07am

Skywise is home. I've found 6 settings that will take the stones with 9 more to test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm going to head out for the night. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2009 at 2:54am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #236 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Afternoon! Skywise had the comp this morning while I slept in. The SunLord was on Moonie's bed again this morning, purring at her. That was always Mischief's place and he rarely climbed onto her bed. Last Sunday, he and Mischief spent a lot of time laying side by side under the Yule tree, which still needs to be taken down and stored, and Moonie took pictures of them. I like to think that Mischief was giving her heir his "final briefing" before she passed on. I'm sure that she's still hanging around giving him tips. He was "flirting" with me last night. I was trying to use the mouse and these paws kept coming out from behind the computer and grabbing my fingers! So I stroked the paws and he purred and gave me the sweetest look..
I got an email from Amazon this morning. Moonlight will be released on DVD on the 20th. Hot damn! I'm going to check Wal-Mart's price. I don't want to get it from Amazon just now. I went a bit overboard there getting Spirit's Yule gifts and I need to pay for the stuff I've already bought! It's gonna be "cash and carry" for a while and in the case of my jewelry component supplier, pay by check! I managed to set most of my stones in my jewelry project last night between the minute variations in the settings and the stones. I've already ordered more settings and I will order more stones. I should be able to find twelve settings that will take stones in the four dozen that I've ordered to finish the project.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #237 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 10:25pm

We went into town and grabbed some lunch and a few supplies. I picked up a pair of low heeled shoes that might work to dance in. They're plain black with the potential to have some flash and sparkle added. I'll practice in them this week and see how they do.  If they work out, I'll keep this pair for practice and get another pair to customize. I'm wearing them now and so far so good but since they are dress/casual shoes and I'm wearing them without stockings or socks, they are kinda drafty. I think I'm gonna go hunt up my socks and cozy slippers......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #238 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 3:31am

Book 2, Chapter One is up to 61 pages and I haven't even gotten to the "good stuff" yet. I'm thinking that I'm going to have the same situation in Book 2 that I had in Book One -- having to split chapters to keep them a manageable size. Book 2 currently has 10 chapters. I have a feeling that the final chapter count will exceed that by a bunch.  When it comes time to print out Book 2 for proofing, I may need two binders....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #239 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 4:20am

*Yawn* The trash is out so I think I'm going to head out too. A fresh glass of tea, my comfy bed and Book One to proof sounds like just the thing! We're thinking about Mischief a lot tonight, the memories are sad because she's gone but sweet because she was such a love while she was here. Smiley on 'The Bunloaf!'

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #240 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 4:23pm

Morning! It's 18 degrees this morning and sunny which is a lot better than that "negative number" foolishness!

The SunLord is being a little flirt this morning, rubbing his furry self against my bare legs! It feels wonderful but makes it difficult to navigate the kitchen! He's had a cuddle and a tummy rub and is presently off somewhere so I think I'll see what I can do about a bite of breakfast.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #241 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:18pm

Hmmm... Skywise and I were just talking about remodeling the kitchen. I told him how I'd rearrange things if I could and what I'd like in addition to the new sinks/cabinet that we're going to put in -- basically more storage and counter space. I'd really like a "work peninsula" with a marble top for rolling out dough and such and making things a little more efficient in what is a very small space.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #242 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 12:54am

Well, I've made a serious dent in the laundry which kinda piled up last week, cleared out some "stuff" and generally tried to get things back into some sort of order. It has been a hellish four months, in case anyone asks. Hell, it's been a hellish nearly three years, starting in late April, 2006. I hope that it is over now...

I cleared the living room floor and did my dance practice. The shoes worked pretty good. I wore socks with them to keep my toes from freezing which affects the fit a little bit but I think that they'll work okay without socks.  I'll start figuring out how to embellish them and pick up another pair, probably, on Friday. I've been thinking about the choreography I'm going to have to write, one for Book 2 which has a dance sequence that needs serious embellishment, and one or more additional dances that I'll actually learn and perform. I've got a good selection of music now although I'll admit that there is one more CD I want but it is going to have to wait a while.  Ah well, back to work.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #243 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:00am

I've loaded one of my belly dance music CDs onto the comp. The album isn't online which means the content is listed as "Tracks 1..... 14" on the Library List and the Playlist I set up for my dance music. I'm going to have to enter the titles and album name by hand. Bummer....
I guess I'm spoiled.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #244 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 5:28am

I got the second album I wanted to load tonight done. Fortunately, it is online so I didn't have to type the Greek track titles in by hand! Doing the Arabic ones on the previous CD was bad enough! Smiley

Skywise is home and dinner is over so I'm going to head out. I've got some laundry to hang up and then I think I'll proof a while before bed.
Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #245 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:15pm

Morning! I think we're heading for Floral Gulch this morning. There's some stuff we need that we haven't been able to find in town, so off we go. Spirit is happy. She's been wanting to hit that mall. See ya later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #246 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 6:57pm

We're back from Floral Gulch and Mission: Accomplished!
The girls now have electric blankets for their beds! Target had nothing so we checked the K-Mart and got the last two twin sized blankets that they had. Methinks that the college students got cold last week and bought every electric blanket in the city. I was also able to get some notebooks so I can start working on my choreography. The down side is that my left knee did NOT appreciate all the walking around on "concrete subfloor" department store floors in my "feel like they weigh 20 pounds apiece after five minutes" snow boots and the damned thing hurts like hell right now. *sigh* I just took 1000 mg of aspirin. I hope I can do my practice this evening, some of it at least. Right now, walking into the kitchen is a challenge. I think I'll sit here for a bit and surf the web and if I still can't move around, write on Book 2 a bit.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #247 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:59pm

Smiley I'm going to need to make another veil.
I've thought of a cool opening for one of the dances I'm creating and it requires the dancer -- that being me -- to be concealed in a veil but I also want to "dance off" a veil and do some veil work a bit later in the program.  The most elegant solution is to use two veils. Fortunately, a veil is a LOT easier to make than a 6 yard skirt!

I think my knee feels a little better. I promised Skywise that when I did my dance practice this evening, I would only do the parts that didn't stress my knee and that I would stop at the first twinge of pain. There is plenty to practice on while giving my knee a break. *sigh* I sometimes wonder if I'll ever be able to walk on concrete or asphalt again.  I guess I'm going to have to put a lot of "self-healing" affirmations into my new mix.  Good thing I'm still working on it. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #248 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:23am

As bad as I hate to, I'm going to skip practice tonight. My knee is better but it is still sore to the touch in spots and I'd really like to be able to walk tomorrow, so.. no dance practice for me. Maybe I'll settle down in front of the tv later and study a dance DVD and make some notes. Right now, I'm going to have to stand at the sink long enough to wash some dishes. Skywise has the superlate shift tonight so I have a bit of time before I need to start dinner.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #249 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 4:48am

I finished the dishes I needed to do and "phase one" of dinner is in the oven. I watched the DVD I wanted to look at, or at least the part I wanted to see. The thing is three hours long and I really don't need to check out the tutorial on stage makeup tonight. I've got another DVD that I may look at after dinner is done. Right now, since I've got a little time to kill before I start "phase two" of dinner, I'm going to get Book One and proof a few pages.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41
Send TopicPrint