Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts! (Read 39342 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts!
Reply #275 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 5:17am

Practice is done and so are the dishes. Dinner is started -- pizza night -- and I did some more dance research. The van wasn't picked up this evening and it is now snowing like crazy. *sigh* I don't envy whoever they send out to get it.

Wish Skywise was home already. I'd let him eat dinner and then drag him off to bed for some serious "naughty". SmileyThat's on the program for later -- it seems my new leggings had the.. ahem.. desired effect -- but I don't wanna wait! But. Since he won't be home until 3 am or thereabouts and I don't have a "Stud on Stand-by" *pout!* I'm going to have to wait.......
It's a good thing that we can sleep in tomorrow! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #276 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:10am

*sigh* Waiting for Skywise. I just looked and there's about 3 inches of snow out there. There is no wind to speak of so it's coming straight down with no drifting. I've heard the snowplow go by a couple of times but the snow is coming down pretty hard. I'm going to head out now so he can call if he needs to.
Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #277 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 4:44pm

*Yawn* Skywise got home right after I left last night.
We didn't call it a night until about 4:30 am. Smiley As I said, it is a good thing that we can sleep in today! Not that would have made any difference to us....
We have about 5 to 6 inches of snow so far. The SunLord doesn't quite know what to think of it.  Skywise called the auto shop this morning.  They had decided that there was no hurry to pick up the van yesterday and that they would do it today. NOW, they have to haul it out of our driveway through the abovementioned snow. And no, Skywise is NOT going to shovel it out for them! He and Spirit are outside right now sledding....
I need breakfast. Later...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #278 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 6:34pm

Book One is corrected and once again spellchecked. Smiley I've fixed everything that I can find and tweaked a few things. I'll make the new PDF copies later and send them off.
Time to start looking into publishers.....

The van was picked up a few minutes ago. They used one of those big "platform" vehicle transports. Much better than a regular tow truck for something as big as a minivan and likely safer for all concerned given the conditions. *giggle* They tried to turn it around so they wouldn't have to back it onto the transport. That didn't work too well...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #279 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 7:51pm

Well, I've taken all fourteen chapters of Book One, made them into one long [very long!] document and made the last major change before I start shopping it around -- I changed Our Hero's name as was requested a long time ago. I didn't forget.
And since I've discovered that I lost some of my "paragraphing" with the cut and paste, I have to go through the whole thing and check for that. At least the spelling and such should have made the transfer intact.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #280 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 7:47am

Skywise will be home soon -- hopefully! -- and I'm heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #281 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:19am

Skywise just called. He won't be home until 5 am. Mandatory overtime. I gather a lot of "workers" called in 'cause of the weather so those that did come in got hit with overtime. He sounded awfully tired. The only good thing about it is that the road crews will be out in force between now and then getting the roads ready for rush hour. I told him to be careful coming home. I've sent the girls to bed and I'm going to follow them although I won't really rest until he's in the door and safe. Nite again.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #282 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 5:59pm

Afternoon. It was nearly 6 am before Skywise got home this morning. It was brutal. He nearly got stuck four times as he passed different people going into work. The snow has pretty much stopped -- we got about 5 to 6 inches of it -- and the sun is coming out. YES! It is BRIGHT out there!
Need tea. Later.  

Post # 12,100
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:12pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #283 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:11pm

Here's the official word on the storm. We're to the south of the city so we got some of the sleet mentioned in the article. No freezing rain, fortunately. I'll put my boots on later and stick a yard stick in the snow and see how much of the white stuff we got here. Thank the Gods that there was no wind or we would really have a mess!

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/18582163/detail.html

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #284 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 10:24pm

Skywise is at work. He left a half hour early to gas up and to give himself extra time. He took the "long way" since his usual route via the back roads is still pretty snow covered from what he could see as he passed his usual turnoff. I'll be going offline at 2 am so he can call and either tell me he's on his way or stuck with more overtime.  He's already decided that he's going to take the long way home tonight.
When the sun was sufficiently covered with clouds so I could go outside without having my eyes burned out of their sockets, I went out and took a snow depth measurement. It was 9 and 7/8 inches at the spot I picked. Skywise said that he thought that it was a foot and a half at some points along his route. It's the most snow we've had out of one storm in 13 years.  Skywise said that he thinks that we'll be able to get out of here tomorrow or Friday which is good.  We need chicken....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #285 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 6:32am

Well. Barring something unforeseen, Book One is done. I've just sent the final draft off to BR for her perusal. I'm gonna try to get Skywise to read it too although it isn't his usual cup of tea. He's a "historical non-fiction" kind of guy for the most part. The presence of copious amounts of "naughty stuff" Smiley in the manuscript should tempt him though... hehehehe
Now, I've got to get serious about finding a publisher. I'll pull out my copy of the 2009 Writer's Market tomorrow and start making a list. Having a completed manuscript should help matters, I would think. There's still a lot to do but the first milestone is passed.   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #286 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 6:54am

I'm gonna head out now. I don't know when Skywise will be getting off work (he's gonna call in a few minutes and tell me) but I'm going to kick back and relax until he walks in the door. I'm happy about the book and tomorrow I'll be taking the next steps towards getting it into print.  Smiley It's all good on the "book front!"

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #287 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 7:10pm

Afternoon...
Skywise called a little after 2 last night. He was "mandated" again and didn't get home until a bit after 5 am. I stayed up and waited for him which is why I feel like death warmed over today. I've finally gotten my cognitive functions reasonably online but it was a job, let me tell you! He has the late shift again tonight and -- naturally -- the early shift tomorrow. Because of the storm, a lot of the "Tour Three" shift can't be bothered to come to work even though they live closer to the mail processing plant than we do. I'm hoping that those workers will get their lazy "backsides" into work today so Skywise can get home earlier if not exactly "early" so we can get a couple of more hours of sleep. I can take a nap if I need one but he can't.
Need more tea. Later....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #288 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:44pm

Smiley We made a mad dash into town to get the van 'cause it was done and we wanted to get it back before the weather gets nasty again. And no, it wasn't under warranty so I pulled out the MasterCard again. *sigh* It's snowing again now, lightly.

I won't have to buy a "prop" sword if I decide to do a sword dance as the "war dance". I checked the swords in my collection and one of them, a replica of the "Zorro sword" from the movies, is perfect. It is both light and, because it is a thrusting sword rather than strictly a cutting sword, the edges haven't been sharpened. (It's intended as a prop after all.) In "real life" usage, the edges would be sharp so Zorro could do all those cool stunts involving the dramatic slashing of various ropes, cords, suspenders and suchlike! All my other swords are either too heavy for a sword dance (Hellion and Shandara) or entirely too sharp (Ginosasari). Moonie has an unsharpened Scythian shortsword but it's a bit too short for me. So I'm now thinking about how to incorporate a sword into my "war dance." Smiley I've been listening to various pieces of music looking for the right sound at the right length. I've found a couple of "possibles" but nothing that's grabbed me by the shirtfront yet.  I'll keep on listening...

Skywise has left for work. He said that he'd call at 2 am and let me know when he'd be home. At 3 am I DO hope!  This 5 am business is for the birds and we have a lot to do tomorrow before he goes in for the early shift!  

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #289 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:44am

I took a short nap and got up about a half hour ago. That should be enough to get me through until Skywise gets home.

I'm going to need to do a little mapmaking for the book -- a ten mile square and the immediate area of the castle at least -- so I can keep track of everything. I caught a "directional" error last night as I was going through the chapters. Right now, I'm thinking of creating a map book like those big "state" atlases that they have in the book stores. I have one for Indiana and it is likely the easiest way to handle the "continental" map that I have, especially since I haven't even mapped the west coast of the continent yet! I'm still working on some material for the Valcarian Codex 'cause I still need to find a few odds and ends of information so I can settle some things.  I'll be trying to get that done next week.
Smallville will be on soon!
Later!
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:48am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #290 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 4:55am

Dance practice is done and I'm gonna start dinner directly. I dug out the floorplan of the castle so I can start getting it ready to scan into the computer. I'll probably have to run it through the copier to reduce it or scan it in by sections since the "map" is pretty big. I haven't even started mapping the second and third floors yet. Things were happening too fast at the time and mapping was one of the things that I had to let slide. There will be a "Penthesilea's Castle Companion" at some point and I should have the materials ready.....

Penth....dinner... remember?

Later. *giggle*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #291 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:03am

The dough is rising and Moonie is shredding the mozzarella for the pizzas. *Yawn* I hope Skywise is able to get off on time tonight. This getting home between 5 and 6 am foolishness gets old fast. No only does it cut into my beauty sleep, it cuts into my "naughty time" too and that is simply TOO much!

I spent part of my "waiting time" last night reviewing some journal entries I made a few years ago. Progress has been made but not enough. Gods willing, I'll be going over the "old stuff" to refresh and then dive into the "new stuff" without needing too much review. I'm motivated as hell now, moreso than I was then. I'm ready to start pulling what I want into my life and the lives of my family. Way past ready, actually. It might take a while but I think that May/June of this year is going to be big for me/us. The runes tell me that things are happening and falling out like I want so time will tell. I don't count my chickens until they are not only hatched but also safely tucked into the coop!

Moonie's done with the cheese. Time to fry the sausage!
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:18am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #292 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:10am

Skywise just called. He's on his way home! No overtime tonight.  We're actually gonna get some sleep and there might even be time for a quick round of "naughty" before "lights out!"
Eating pizza now and heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #293 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:52pm

Smiley We've landed!
We took off as soon as the letter carrier delivered the girls' checks, hit the bank, the Burger King and Wal-Mart and got home at about 12:30. Skywise has left for work. At least he should get home at a reasonable hour tonight and he has the weekend off. He has "naughty" plans for us to be fitted around whatever else has to be done! *giggle!*  I'm going to get whatever I can done today 'cause I have a feeling that anything that isn't of an Extremely HIGH priority isn't gonna get done over the weekend!

ETA: I've been trying to get this post up for over two hours. NOT happy with my internet connection today!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #294 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 10:58pm

I'm getting a headache...
It's been a bright, sunny day and the back curtain (directly behind the comp) has been open to let the light -- and therefore heat -- in. There is snow cover like you would NOT believe out there and this room has been like the inside of a lightbulb.
That alone would make my head hurt... plus...
Since most publishers won't take simultaneous submissions, I've picked a publisher to start with. It's a well respected house that does NOT take electronic submissions. They want hardcopy. No problem. I have a very good printer. They want the pages numbered. Again, no prob. My word processing program will do that. They want the name of the book at the top of every page....THAT'S where the problem is. I have two word processing programs available and so far, I haven't figured out how to coax either one of them into putting a line of text next to the page number. I'd go through and put it in manually (a simple cut and paste) but so far I haven't been able to get either of the dang things to tell me -- before printing -- where the page breaks are going to be. Smiley  There is undoubtedly a way to do what I want. I refuse to believe that the writers of the software would overlook such a basic thing.  I just have to wrest the information out of the uncooperative software. [See Penth going to the mat with the software. See Penth get said software in a chokehold from hell.... ] The thought of manually typing the whole manuscript -- provided that I could even find supplies for my typewriter -- makes me want to hide my head under a pillow. Computerized word processing has me completely spoiled. So that will be my next project along with working up a cover letter. Right now, the sun has set and I'm gonna go take a couple of aspirin for this head!
Later..
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2009 at 5:25am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #295 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 5:23am

Skywise is home and the War Queen is chewing on him. He should survive... Smiley

I'm heading out for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to pull out all the reference books I have about the business end of writing. It's time for the next phase.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #296 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:26pm

Afternoon! Skywise and the girls have been using the computers this weekend and this is the first chance I've had to post. I've been keeping busy though. While working on the map of the area immediately around the castle, I've discovered that a square mile is too small an area for what I've put into it. Therefore, I'm going to have to make the estate two miles long on a side, maybe three with corresponding changes in (I think) Chapter 8 when I reveal how much of the estate burned in the wildfire and what percentage of the total area of the estate that is. Sorry, BR but those should be minor changes, probably only a word or two.

I also took the opportunity to dig into my journal and "playbook" and get caught up on that so I'm going to be working on my "Self" in earnest now. I intend to finish the book, let it "settle" for a week or maybe less and then go over it again. The author said that might be necessary since some, if not all of the concepts, can be difficult to internalize. Being a person of the pagan persuasion, I have a bit of a leg up on those who are encountering these concepts for the first time but yeah, some of this stuff can be hard to get your head around.  I found a quote in the book last night that I'll post later. (The book is in the bedroom and I'm not going to get it now.) It is something that I need to have before my eyes constantly. I may put it in my signature or maybe just print it on sticky notes and put them all over the house. I've got a bunch of new affirmations to use and I need to emphasize some old ones now that certain situations have come to the fore.  I'll be getting on that this week too.

I figured out how to put the header I need on my manuscript pages. I'm going to have to go through and number each page but since the location of the headers will tell me where the top of each new page is, it will be a bit time consuming but not a really big deal to do.

It's 45 degrees outside right now and the ground is starting to show through in places. A cold front is coming later tonight or tomorrow [have to check the weather forecast!] that will but us in the icebox again but for the moment, things are melting.

That's all for the moment. I'm off to get caught up before I have to start dinner.
Later!
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:31pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #297 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 6:52am

It's late and I'm heading out. Spirit has a dental appointment so we'll be hitting the ground running in the morning. hehehehe She's already ordered me to set the alarm clock. *giggle*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #298 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 7:47pm

Afternoon! As predicted, we hit the ground running this morning and when we got home, Skywise and the girls got on the computers. I took that opportunity to sneak off and grab a nap since I'm still running a sleep deficit from last week. Spirit has finished up her web surfing so now I have the computer. I'm going to be working on the long, mind numbing job of numbering the pages in my manuscript. One of the top publishers of fantasy/sf does NOT take electronic submissions. They want hardcopy, thank you very much, and since hardcopy pages can get out of order and/or Gods forbid!, mixed up with other manuscripts, each page must have the title and page number at the top. I've figured out how to get the title at the top of the page but the page numbers are going to have to go in manually. *sigh* So that will be my word processing job for the next few days since I'm not going to work myself into a coma over it. It'll be done by the time I need to print it again! I'm still working on maps and related issues when ever my brain threatens shutdown over page numbers. *sigh* I need to get started. Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #299 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 10:12pm

Break time! I've gotten the first 100 pages numbered which puts me roughly a quarter of the way through, three chapters down and eleven to go. I changed the font on the copy I'm working on now from one that is specific to AppleWorks to Times New Roman while keeping the font size the same. The result is a lower page count but the number of words is still the same!  Skywise and I were discussing it last night and he agrees that I should get myself an agent so after I've gotten this manuscript in the best possible shape, I'll be going "agent hunting". It's worth paying an agent to not have to worry about all the ins and outs of contract negotiations, publishing and related subjects. I'll be able to concentrate on writing book two while letting the expert worry about getting book one into the hands of eager readers. Right now, I'm going to get a small snackie, hunt up a piece of info I need for map making and in about an hour or so, do my dance practice. Skywise has the early shift today -- late tomorrow, *sigh* -- so I'll be starting dinner at about 9:30. I'd better get busy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41
Send TopicPrint