Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts! (Read 39230 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts!
Reply #375 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 11:47pm

I've written about a page and a half that needs to go into the "reopened" chapter one if I can just find the right place for it! A few "loose ends" in a story is too be expected. Real life is untidy, after all, and art should imitate life to a degree but too many loose ends is just sloppy writing in my opinion and I seldom pick up a second book by an author who is sloppy. The result of cutting my literary teeth on the GrandMasters of Science Fiction (Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury and Norton. Edgar Rice Burroughs too although I don't know if he was ever made a GrandMaster but I love his body of work!) when I was growing up, I suppose.
So anyway, I'm looking for the best place to insert this new material and I'm touching up things as I go along.
We're going to Floral Gulch on Thursday which means a sandwich from Subway for breakfast and hitting Barnes and Noble after. I hope that they have the CD I want. I want to know if the piece I'm interested in will work in my choreography or if I'm going to have to keep hunting. 
Speaking of hunting, I'd best get back to chapter one.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #376 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 4:25am

*sigh* I wish Skywise was home. At least he's on his way and should be here in about 25 - 30 minutes or so. I just want to curl up next to him and "be." He can play video games until his thumbs fall off if he wants too as long as I can stretch out on the floor next to him while he does it.

I skipped dance practice today, feeling a bit off or burnt out. I don't know which but giving my knees a day's rest is probably a good thing. I went through the pantry and cleared out some stuff so the time was well spent. Smiley  I'll do it tomorrow if I have to force myself. The more you practice the faster you will develop muscle memory which you need when you are trying to do three or four different movements at the same time! No one has enough brain to think about all of that! Smiley So, tomorrow, back in the "dance" saddle!

I found a spot in chapter one for that new scene. It isn't finished yet but it's in place and it seems to be a good fit in that spot.  All that is left to write on it is a knock down, drag out, "really mad she-vamp against everybody" bar fight. Then she will exit until Book 4, most likely although she could show up in 3 if I have a mind. I'm still thinking about different ways to flesh out the beginnings of the monster attack.  Where I've ended the chapter is perfect: Our Hero, the last man alive, battling against hideous odds and that is before the giant marine iguana shows up! So I can't snatch anything from the next chapter. Oh well, it will come, one sentence at a time...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #377 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 5:12am

He's finally home and I'm gone. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #378 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 5:12pm

Greetings!
Skywise has been processing words this morning and finally got to a stopping spot so the comp is mine now! Smiley The world is doomed! Smiley again!

I feel better than I did last night. Skywise decided to process words instead of play games when he got home and since curling up on the floor next to the computer wasn't an option, he sent me to bed. It took a while to fall asleep but the War Queen helped with that. I slept pretty well and my dreams weren't too weird, mostly of the "clean out the head" variety. When I wake up after a night of those, it's "Where the heck did THAT come from?!" Smiley
Now I'm going to get caught up and get back to chapter one and maybe work on chapter two if I get stuck on one.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #379 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 7:37pm

Skywise left for work about 45 minutes ago.
The wind is picking up pretty good but the temperature hasn't started dropping yet. It's 52 now and tomorrow's high is supposed to be 29 so I'm thinking that the bottom is going to drop out at some point....
I'm working on chapter one and about to take a break. My eyes hurt and I'm hungry so I'm going to go make a sandwich and get some fresh tea. [See. I remembered to eat. Or will eat, as soon as I get up from here!] Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #380 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 10:45pm

The temperature is starting to drop. It's down to 44 now.
I've been listening to music and researching belly dance styles since I got up from resting my eyes. I've confirmed my initial impression that I LOVE Turkish style belly dancing -- which has the reputation, especially in the 70's and 80's, of being extremely naughty -- with Greek style coming in a very close second. News flash: Me likie naughty! A LOT!!

Omm: I just read an article about a kid-gang in Indianapolis that jumped a kid that didn't want to join them and beat him up in front of his own mother. Do I need to say that if that had been my child being beaten, I would have grabbed the nearest suitable object and commenced to split skulls? Didn't think so. And if there were no suitable objects handy? There is a reason why I always carry a bag with a shoulder strap.....
Yeah, my "mama grizzly bear" instincts have kicked in.
I think I'll go change and do my dance practice. Sitting here wanting to smash skulls of brats that have already been arrested is counterproductive.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #381 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:00am

I'm back. I got my practice out of the way and I'm loading a short YouTube of Turkish style belly dancing right now. I am SO looking forward to getting Hughes.net! It should speed things up enormously! Gotta wait for the ground to dry out -- in case they need to put the dish somewhere in the yard -- and for the tax refund to arrive. Putting our HDTV antenna on a mast is also on the "To Do" List once the ground dries out. It's gonna be a busy spring!
Later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #382 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:29am

Temp is still dropping and precipitation is moving in. *sigh* Lovely.
A thought ran through my head last week but I didn't have the chance to make a note of it here. I dug out my manual of medieval swordsmanship tonight -- to generate ideas for my Amazon Sword Dance -- and I remembered it. The thought was: The difference between a thug and a warrior is honor.

I can think of two men of my recent acquaintance -- one who attacked me after claiming me as "mother" and the other who named himself my "teacher" -- who proclaimed themselves "warriors", "vengeful warriors" perhaps but still warriors.  They weren't warriors. They were thugs to a greater or lesser degree. Honor and duty are unknown to them. If they follow any code at all it is one of personal convenience.  Those two men are gone from my life and my life is better for their desertion.  
On the whole, I prefer the "warriors." They know who they are. Smiley    

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #383 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 5:13am

Skywise is safely home and I'm outta here! Everyone sleep well and be safe! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #384 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:04pm

Morning! Plans call for heading for Floral Gulch this morning. There's a light dusting of snow on the ground, not much though. I've got to finish getting dressed. Catch ya later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #385 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 6:51pm

Afternoon! We got home around noon. No luck with finding the CD. I'll check while we're out tomorrow and Saturday.  Got "busy" after we got home so I'm just now getting on.

Both my knees are pitching a major bitch-fit right now although the left seems to be a mite bitchier than the right. I have NO idea what's caused it. They just don't want to work. Dance practice looks doubtful at the moment but I'll see what some rest and aspirin do for them.

There are fourteen basic positions/stances for the medieval longsword and as one would expect they "flow" from one position to the next. All I have to do is figure out how to use them in a dance.... Kinda hard to do right now since standing up is a pain -- literally. Yeah, I'm annoyed. I've got too much to do today. I have neither the time nor the inclination to baby my knees but it looks like I may have too. *SNARK!!!!*

It's been a while since I ate. Better take the aspirin with milk.... maybe a milk shake...
Later. Maybe I'll be less grumpy.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #386 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:33pm

Rest alone hasn't helped my knees much so I've finally given in and taken some aspirin. *sigh* As soon as I figure out if my Google search has been successful, I'm going to get prone for a while and see if that helps.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #387 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 12:26am

The search was unsuccessful. *sigh* I laid down on the bed which made the War Queen very happy. She laid on me and purred with the predictable result.
I just woke up.

The knees are better. At least I was able to walk in here without too much of a problem but since Skywise gets paid tonight and we "shop 'til we drop" tomorrow, it would probably be helpful if I could walk. So. No dance practice tonight. POOP! I will listen to dance music, work on Chapter 1, do a couple of loads of wash and do the necessary paperwork for tomorrow's trip to the bank and the electric company. Not as fun as dancing but it's gotta be done regardless and I'd wanted to have it done by now anyway.  *sigh* Time to get busy.  
Later.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:09am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #388 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:42am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #389 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:51pm

Morning! I'm the first human up the morning. How did I manage that?!  We will be heading out as soon as everyone is up. It's chilly this morning -- sixteen degrees. I think I'm gonna take my blizzard coat 'cause if there is any wind at all, it's gonna be cold!
I've got a couple of things to do. Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #390 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:24pm

We're back. Thanks the Gods that's over!

Skywise just did some quick and dirty figuring on our state/county taxes and we'll be paying almost as much to the state and county in taxes and we did for our federal taxes and that isn't counting the property taxes and the excise taxes on the vehicles. *grrrrrrr....*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #391 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:05pm

Working on Chapter 1. Since I am switching back and forth between two situations at this particular point in the chapter, I was able to lift some text from Chapter 2 -- which is obscenely oversized -- and put it in Chapter 1 which could do with a couple of thousand more words. I'll expand on the situation I lifted and that should be enough to get me those extra words.
I'm also waiting for a YouTube to load. It's nearly 4 minutes long and on dial-up that takes forever.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #392 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 12:25am

I just realized that all I've eaten since about 10:30 this morning is a couple of donuts. They were very good donuts but not especially long lasting. This likely explains the odd sensation in my head. I don't think I'm gonna make it to dinnertime. I guess I better scare up something quick to eat.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #393 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 4:50am

I'm feeling some better now. Eating helped but now I feel exhausted. I think as soon as Skywise gets home, I'm gonna crash. Maybe a solid night's sleep will straighten me out. I hope so anyway. Tomorrow's Saturday so unless we wake up to freezing rain/drizzle or some other such nonsense, we will be off and running fairly early. Aside from this morning's errands, the dishes and writing I didn't get much done today. I loaded and watched a couple of sword dances that I found on YouTube which only served to illustrate what I do NOT want to do with my choreography! I apologize to all the "dance traditionalists" out there but balancing it on your head while doing various undulations and isolations does NOT constitute the proper use of a sword! Ah well, I won't have to describe Penthesilea's sword dance until Book 3 so I have time to get it right.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #394 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 5:14am

He's home and I'm heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley See ya tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #395 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:52pm

Afternoon! Skywise has been downloading since we got home at about 12:30 and just now finished for a while.
I'm feeling better. I was still "off" when we got up this morning so once we were safely home -- thanks to Skywise's careful driving and my fervent prayers to Hermes! -- I crashed again and when I woke up, I was feeling more myself.
I lucked out on the CD search. Borders had it and it also had a "sampler" CD by the same artist that had the song I wanted on it for a fraction of the price. In addition, they were having a 30% off CDs sale today, so I got the sampler with the song I want for 30% off. Even better, so far it sounds like the song will work perfectly for what I want it for. *happy belly dance* It certainly makes me want to get my backfield in motion! I've had my headphones glued to my head since I got up from my nap committing the piece to memory. I don't have it "imbedded" yet but I'm making progress! Now I gotta go get caught up.
Later.

Post # 12,221 *giggle*
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #396 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 5:20am

And here it is, much later! Smiley Skywise has been downloading and processing words like a fiend this evening and since Book One is finished, I didn't bully him off of the comp. Instead, I spent the evening watching belly dance DVDs. *giggle!* Since all someone sitting at this computer has to do to see the television is turn their head, Skywise got seriously distracted from time to time. Evil of me, I suppose but if I had been feeling really, 5 star evil, I would have lounged around in my leggings and he would have gotten NOTHING done!  So actually, I was an angel complete with wings and halo this evening. (I hear that laughing!)
So I'm going to get caught up with things and I'll be back in a bit.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #397 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:31am

Skywise has made a naughty suggestion no doubt inspired by those previously mentioned DVDs Smiley and I'm going to head out and take him up on it while I'm still awake enough to participate! Smiley

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley
I'm off to be "good."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #398 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:08pm

Afternoon! Skywise was back downloading this morning -- he's getting lots of photos from NASA -- so I slept in. It was nice. *Yawn* Need tea though so that will be my next order of business.
Later. Hopefully not too much later... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #399 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 9:32pm

Skywise suggested going into town for lunch and the rest of us thought that was a splendid idea so off we went. We just got back. We did a bit of shopping and I got some "clone" Passion perfume. I really want some "clone" Opium -- the genuine stuff is way too expensive -- but Passion will do for the time being. I'm feeling the need to flaunt it as spring approaches....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41
Send TopicPrint