Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts! (Read 39120 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts!
Reply #450 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 4:39am

Dance practice is done. I started a new DVD tonight. It is considerably more challenging than the first one. It will be a while before I get bored with this one. I really felt it in my thighs and calves while I was doing it and I expect to feel it in the morning -- which is exactly what I want. I'm not going to get good at this until I get my legs in shape. The legs are what powers belly dance. You just don't see it because the legs are usually hidden and the guys are too busy wondering if the dancer is gonna fall out of her bra to notice her legs anyway! Smiley [FYI: My costume bra is cut as low as possible without violating decency laws. Yeah, I got a nice pair and I'm showing them off. Sue me!] I'm also indecently pleased because I've tracked down the album that supplied the music for the previously mentioned dance performance that Skywise and I both like. Smiley Smiley  Yeah. OF COURSE, I'm gonna have Border's order it for me on Saturday if they don't have it in the store. I'm assuming that they won't. As soon as it is in my hot little hands I'm going to put it in my dance suite and see how it fits. There might be some other pieces that will work too. I'm anxious to see as I can't tell much from the amazon.com samples due to being on dial up.
Anyway, dinner needs to be started shortly.
All in all, I am jazzed. The dancing is going well, I'm finding the perfect music and reality is gonna shift into a configuration that is much more agreeable to me and mine!
Later. *giggle*
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009 at 5:15am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #451 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 8:04am

He's home and I'm heading out. Busy day tomorrow.
Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #452 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Morning all! It's payday and you know what that means! Smiley I need to get my cognitive functions online but I have already done a bit to change reality as I was getting dressed, worked on it some last night before I fell asleep too. All is going well on that front.  What we want is on the way...
Gotta see if there is any tea left..
Later!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #453 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 5:41pm

We're back and we managed to do all the shopping without killing or even mangling anyone! This is a good thing!  Naturally, since we had a TON of payday errands to do today, Skywise has the early shift today after having the late shift yesterday. [Thus the potential for fatigue induced mayhem..] He will collapse into bed immediately upon hitting the door tonight or shortly thereafter!  Then we will take off on Saturday and -- unless there is an unanticipated change in plans, I'll order that CD at Borders.

Yeah, I'm rubbing my hands together and thinking about "set the stage on fire" moves to do in that section of the dance. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Oh yeah, gonna be a real good "bad girl." Aphrodite will approve...
Skywise will be leaving in a bit and I need to get my stuff together. Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #454 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 7:08pm

Got an email from Nike today. I answered and I hope she gets back to me today. She's FINALLY got home internet access but she probably doesn't have the new addy for Sanctuary and the old one no longer forwards so she's gonna have to get it from me. NO PROB!
She better have some smelling salts handy when she reads some of the stuff I've posted here. *giggle* We have MUCHO catching up to do!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #455 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:39am

No email from Nike yet. Oh well, I'll catch her sooner or later.

I've been mulling music today. I really want to get that previously mentioned CD but there's another piece on a different album that may work slightly better with what I already have. What I'm trying to do is create a dance that uses four or five different pieces of music. Different but not jarringly so since the songs are played one after the other as the dancer moves from one section of the dance to the next. The dance that Our Heroine performs in Book 3 was originally described as expressing both the light and dark in her personality -- the major facets, as it were. She's a child of the Gods (likely two pieces depicting joy and laughter), a warrior (thus the need for a sword/war dance), a priestess of Aphrodite (the sexy, sultry piece) and some sort of drum solo type of dance for the finale. I know I'm working pretty far in advance but something this complicated can't be thrown together in a day -- at least not by me! I could get away with a general description in the original thread but the book needs more, especially since certain unpleasant members of the audience get huffy about the display. The readers should really know what they are getting huffy about!
I haven't done my dance practice yet. I think I'm going to have to do some serious rearranging of the living room in order to do this new DVD property. The first one in the series was kind of "static" as far as "traveling" was concerned. This next one has you moving around more. Not that I need to worry a lot about that yet! I'm gonna have my hands full getting the moves down before I start moving around the room. The teaching pace on this one is faster too and that will slow me down. I've never been particularly coordinated although I do manage to walk and chew gum at the same time. This, however, is considerably more complicated! Smiley
Oh well, I'd better get busy with dinner. I'm hungry Smiley and I can practice after my dinner has settled a bit! Skywise won't mind if I'm still in my practice clothes when he gets home! *giggle*

Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #456 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:12am

I decided to put dance practice off until tomorrow. I need more space and even after 1000 mg of aspirin, my knees still hurt tonight. So, I'm going to give them more rest, move things around tomorrow and then let Skywise watch me practice which should get "little dancer girl" some fringe benefits. Smiley  Smiley Hey! A gal has to think about these things!

Here is the weather forecast for next week. Bear in mind that last Sunday, I was wearing my "Blizzard and Wind chill from Hell" coat.

Tonight: mostly cloudy. Slight chance of rain showers, then chance of rain showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Saturday: mostly cloudy until midday then becoming partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 20 mph.
Saturday Night: thunderstorms likely. Lows in the lower 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of thunderstorms 70 percent.

Sunday: breezy, cooler. Thunderstorms likely. Highs in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the southwest 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of thunderstorms 70 percent.
Sunday Night: colder. Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the lower 40s. West winds 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph.

Monday: partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 50s.
Monday Night: partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the lower 40s.

Tuesday: cloudy with a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 60s.
Tuesday Night: mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the upper 30s.

Wednesday: cooler. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain showers. Highs in the upper 40s.
Wednesday Night: partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s.

Thursday: mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s.
Thursday Night: partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s.

Friday: mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s.

I think that it's possible that Spring is here.....
It's also possible that I'm gonna get rained on....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #457 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 5:19am

*Yawn* I did some "reality changing" work and cuddled with the War Queen. Skywise is home and I'm going to head out. I'm pretty sleepy although I could be persuaded to stay awake for a while if Skywise makes me a suitably naughty offer I won't refuse. Smiley However, if he's as beat as I am, we'll be saving the "naughty" for tomorrow afternoon. I prefer "late night delight" but I'll take it when I can get it! *naughty giggle*

Anyway, everyone sleep well and be safe! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #458 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 6:09pm

We're back and it's time for me to get busy. Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #459 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Taking a break so I'm back.
The temp has hit 73 degrees and we are expecting thunderstorms tonight and probably into tomorrow morning -- they aren't real clear on that yet. Spring is definitely here!

We didn't get to either Borders or Barnes and Noble today -- MAJOR SHOCK!! -- so I didn't get to order any CDs. However, this

http://www.amazon.com/Sensual-Art-Bellydance-Fast-rhythms/dp/B00005AVPL/ref=sr_1...

was in the mailbox and there are three drum solos on it than I like better than the one I'm using. I now have the task of deciding which one works the best. I like this one so well I'm considering ordering the companion disk, Slow Rhythms as well.   

We were startled by a while ago by gunshots very close. We couldn't tell where they were coming from until I went up to the Guest House to get some chicken out of the freezer up there. The shots were coming from the house across the road.
When I told Skywise that, he said "Then they shouldn't complain when you get your gun and start shooting."
I told him that I had about decided to set up a pistol range in the backyard and to hell (except as far as safety goes) with the neighbors! I'm hoping the tax refund gets here soon so I can start shopping. I'd really like to get to the gun show later this month but if I don't, there will be others and I'll have cash in hand.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #460 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 11:16pm

I'm making headway with the living room clearing -- along with kitchen clearing and suchlike -- but I don't think I'll be practicing tonight. My legs, especially the left one, are bothering me. gggrrrrrrrr I've taken some aspirin so I'll be able to stand up while I'm making dinner. It is especially annoying since I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO MAKE THEM HURT!!!! [Thank you. A certain amount of screaming about it does help!] Maybe it is the change in the weather that's doing it. It is as good a guess as any.

I picked out my "drum solo" piece. It's Dune Dance from the CD I got today. It's the shortest of the three which is good 'cause it is fast as hell. I'll be dancing it in "Turkish cabaret style" which is to say.... FAST AND FURIOUS!
I'm gonna need to build my cardio WAY up for that one! Smiley
I've put "Isis Dancing" into the mix too. I'm going to need to listen to it a lot and see what sort of movements come to mind. It's what I'd call "moderately fast." It's in the spot where in a "traditional" cabaret performance, the dancer would perform a bouncy, peppy dance with, maybe, some audience participation so it calls for something with a bit of a "dancy" beat. The section that comes after that calls for slow, sensual music for a sexy dance. Think of a belly dancer in a James Bond movie giving Mr. Bond an eyeful and you know what's expected.  How much the dancer "sells it" depends on the composition of the audience, obviously. You don't want to give a guy an excellent look at your assets if his insecure, jealously possessive girlfriend is sitting next to him fingering her empty shish kebab skewer while giving you the evil eye! I'm still looking for appropriate music for that one!  Given who I will be dancing for, I'll probably "sell it" as much as I can. Smiley

*sigh* I probably should go do something useful like see how far along the "chicken thawing" has gotten. It would be nice to have dinner some time before the clocks have to be changed.  DST is universally hated in this household, by the way.
Later.  
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 11:35pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #461 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 1:51am

Skywise got a DVD documentary about the Apollo program today. He has it on now and we've been remembering what we were doing at that time. (We didn't meet until 1972.)
It makes me wonder. When, having once reached the moon, did America lose her nerve? When? And why? When did we decide to settle for the comfortable and safe?
I have no answers for that and I'm afraid that we, the human race, will never have that "spark" again...

The documentary has reached the Apollo 13 mission...

Later...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #462 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 3:27am

Dinner is finished and eaten. I'm listening to my current lineup of dance music. I broke down and ordered the two CDs I was going to order from Borders. I'm paying for them by the same method either way so I decided to "just DO IT!" and get it over with. I'm hoping that of the two pieces currently under consideration for the "sexy dance" one will fit well with the current selections. I'm still on the lookout for a better fit for the "war/sword dance." What I have will work but it could be better. So. I'm still looking. There is quite a bit of music on the two CDs I've ordered and it's possible that there is something suitable on one of them since both were supposedly composed as "operas" [for want of a better term] with similar themes.

Hmmm..... Skywise has gone around and changed all the clocks. I guess he doesn't want to wait until the last minute.... Smiley
Later.

Post # 12,300

Edited to add: The Gods are looking out for me. I was prowling amazon and discovered that one of the CDs I ordered tonight has been discontinued by the manufacturer which means that the bookstore would have had some trouble getting it -- if they could have gotten it at all -- had I ordered it today. I got Amazon’s last new copy. The other CD is “out of stock” at Amazon and Amazon hasn’t put up their usual “Order it and we’ll send it when it’s back in stock” message so I’m wondering if that one has been discontinued too. Smiley Kinda makes me think that things are starting to break my way for the first time in a long time. And it’s about time!
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2009 at 3:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #463 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:29am

*Yawn* Sleepy little writerperson here. I'm gonna head out and try to get a little shuteye before the rain gets here. The line is moving at a snail's pace so we're gonna get soaked when it finally does get here. *Yawn again* Nite all. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #464 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:59pm

Afternoon. *grumble* I hate DST..

I woke up a couple of hours ago and since I knew that Skywise was using the computer, I was in no hurry to get up. I spent the time "working on reality" and thinking about the last dream I had before I woke up. Basically, it was telling me that I'm discarding what I don't need and hanging on to what I do need.  I'm making choices and they appear to be the right ones to judge from the overall tone of the dream. In that regard, the day has started off well. NOW, if the damned wind would drop down to about five miles per hour, I'd be a happy camper. We haven't had any storms yet but the day is young and the radar is busy.  *sigh* Spring has sprung, thunderstorms and all... Moonie told me yesterday that the crocuses were in bloom so that settles it.

Have tea, NEED sustenance. I'M STARVING!Smiley  And the spelling dictionary 'cause I can't spell worth beans today.

Later!
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2009 at 6:07pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #465 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:01am

I have returned!
The rain finally arrived and while I was writing a post about it, the lights went out. No warning. Just "poof!" Which put an end to my post. They came back on pretty quick but we decided to shut the electronics down until the storm, such as it was, was over.
I got busy with some stuff and Skywise took over the computer so I've been working on a choker to go with my dance costume and a pair of armbands. I haven't decided how I'm going to decorate them but the base of the choker is a piece of trim that I have that has a similar pattern to the trim that's on the bra and belt and it is going to have some bead fringe on it so I'm gonna be back in the fringe making business for a while. I expect it to tickle since I'm going to make the center strands long enough to reach my cleavage and then have them taper upwards. I've gotten the base made so all I need to do is make and put on the fringe and then sew the back up to cover the knots. I'm seriously considering making a pair of silver armbands too but I'm going to finish these first.
Now I have to see how the "thawing of the pork chops" is going.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #466 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 1:19am

Well the "thawing pork" which was in a humongous "family sized" slab has, thanks to some time on the counter and the judicious use of harsh language and brute force, been turned into two family sized portions. One has been returned to the freezer and the other simmers even as I type. In a few minutes, I'll see about getting the rest of the dinner going. DST has completely thrown me off. My body says that it is a little after eight but the clocks say it's after nine. *sigh* I hate being so far out of sync with the sun. When we're on Standard time we are an hour behind the sun but with DST we're two hours behind and that is too much. Be warned. I will be grumbling under my breath until October with occasional forays into "screaming hissy fit" when being out of synch really gets to me. I apologize in advance for the resulting use of excessive capital letters.

I have Isis Dancing and Dune Dance in their own little playlist so I can listen to them over and over while I'm working. Dune Dance has a 25 second "drum roll" at the end that screams for a lightning-fast dramatic finale. I'm not sure yet what it is going to be but I'm likely to be exhausted when it's done. I may need to be carried from the dance floor. 
Any volunteers? Smiley

*giggle* Later..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #467 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 3:09am

Dinner's done and the wind advisory only has about another hour to go which is a good thing 'cause a couple of times there, I thought we were going to make an unscheduled trip to the next county! That would have definitely put a crimp in our plans!

I'm thinking about jewelry. A company that I'd done business with and had some beautiful pieces at reasonable prices has apparently gone out of business. [The last time I got one of their catalogs, they had a "to die for" ring. It was a plain silver band with black onyx inlays all around it. I was GORGEOUS!]. I am beginning to suffer a bit of jewelry lust. I need appropriate pieces to wear with my costume as most of my stuff is pretty understated. I've got two or three pairs of earrings that will work, belly chains are easy to make (thank the Gods for "split ring" pliers!), ankle bracelets are a little harder to fit but they're easy too. What I need are more rings and bracelets of various sorts. I don't have a big budget so I don't have the cash to waste on junk. I guess I'll have to start prowling the web.
Later...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #468 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 5:11am

My choker now has a big red jewel in the middle of it. It matches the one on my dance belt. I'll probably need to put a line of "pearls" around it but that will be last or nearly last thing to do after I've added the bead fringe. The trim gives it a nice decadent/opulent feel to it which is what I'm going for with the whole outfit. Not "in your face darkness" but definitely not sunshine, innocence and daisies. Oh, and I've solved the problem of "underpinings".  I decided to go with a "primitive" solution with the modern addition of elastic. It seemed so obvious once I thought of it. Smiley Sorry. That's "need to know" and the whole of the internet doesn't need to know! *giggle!*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #469 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 6:00am

Wind advisory extended until 4 am. Oh joy...

Heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #470 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 3:09pm

*jaw cracking yawn* Morning. The wind has stopped, finally. This is good. The temp has dropped into the high 30s. This is not so good. *sigh* Oil prices have started going up again. This makes me grumpy. I'm going to go get dressed, get some tea and look for something to be optimistic about....
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #471 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:16pm

I have my tea and the dishwasher is running so there are no stacks of dirty dishes in the sink glaring at me accusingly. This is a good thing.
I got an email this morning informing me that one of the CDs I ordered this weekend was shipped this morning. Since it was shipped from Lexington, Kentucky at 1 am this morning, it is not unreasonable to expect it here by Wednesday. Depending on mail volume, it could hit the box tomorrow. This is also a good thing.  There was another email informing me that the Borders I most often frequent will be selling CDs for 40% off (with coupon) for the next 6 weeks or so. That means that the last (for the moment) CD I want to get will be nearly half off when I get it which, if the CD Gods cooperate, will be next weekend. Hopefully, there will be another email later telling me that the other CD I ordered through has been shipped. That would be a good thing.

I modeled my choker for Skywise last night. He is of the opinion that it doesn't need the fringe. I disagree. The only way to know is to put the fringe on temporarily and then try the choker on with the bra. I'll be working on that, the cuffs and the "underthing" while working on Chapter 2. I get some cooperation out of my creative functions, I should be able to wrap it up today and head off to Chapter 3.
Need to refill my tea.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #472 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 5:45pm

I've got my refill and as soon as I throw a load of wash in the machine, I'm gonna be seeing what I can do with the last uncooperative bit of Chapter 2. Skywise has left for work even though it feels like 12:45 pm, the clocks say 1:45 and the clocks MUST BE OBEYED!! *snark!*
I'm gonna go load the washer before I get started on DST! Smiley
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #473 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 9:18pm

One load of wash on the bed waiting to be put away.
One load in the dryer, drying.
One load sitting in the washer waiting for the dryer.
So far so good on the laundry front.

On Chapter 2, I went back to the first page and I've been working my way through it. The first 22 pages are finished. They will likely need polishing later but for the moment, they're done with another 22 pages to go through. I'm going to take a break since I need to get my dance practice in today and I don't want to wait too late which would be easy to do given how "messed up" my internal time sense is right now. If I don't knock off now, the next thing I know, I'll look up at the clock and it will be 10 or thereabouts and dinner won't be started. So, break now and get some "non-writing" things done.
Later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #474 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 3:54am

Well, it's nearly 12 (by the clock!)
The pizzas are done and Skywise is home. Thank the Gods 'cause this is my second re-write and third attempt to get this post up and I NEED A HUG BAD!!

I made five stands of fringe and put them on my choker and temporarily sewed everything up. I tried it on with my costume bra. Moonie approves. I'll see what her father thinks in a bit.

Dance practice is done. I almost have enough room. There are about 4 or 5 moves that are going to be challenging, the rest will just take repetition to build muscle memory. I did some research and I should be able to design a choreography for the drum solo that does justice to the title of the piece without killing myself.  This pleases me.

I've designed a pattern for my "underthing" that I'll be test fitting in a bit. I think that it should be pretty close to what I need.
Later. I need to eat....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41
Send TopicPrint