Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts! (Read 39005 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts!
Reply #575 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 12:52am

Okay, darn it! Everything is loading fine but I keep having to "update my session" [It's an admin thing] which could become a bit of a pain. I normally only have to do it when I've been offline and then come back on.
D, if there's anything that we could possibly do about that, let me know. If there isn't, I'll just have to live with it.
I'm working on Chapter 4 and I've explained how the Minor Villainess got her hands on something that she's going to use for a dirty deed in the next chapter so that potential "blip" is taken care of.
I'm going to start dinner next so we can have it out of the way. I want to practice after dinner and I don't want to wait too late. Skywise has the early shift tonight so he'll be home at midnight or thereabouts.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #576 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 2:08am

Well, the "update session" thing has stopped at least for the time being. If it's not an "all the time" thing, I can deal with it.
Managing to get a few chores done. We had to scramble this morning to make sure that they had enough room to work. I was expecting a little more warning but they called when I was just dragging myself out of bed. Skywise answered the phone and told them to come out at one. They were in the driveway when we got back from town at 12:21. It only took them about an hour and a half to do the job. So now it's done and, with luck, we'll have the third computer -- the eMac in Moonie's room -- hooked into the network by the end of the weekend. Skywise is toying with the idea of putting our oldest computer -- which is in our bedroom -- on dialup so we can have it for a backup but there hasn't been a solid decision made about that yet.
Anyway, dinner is cooking, the washer is chugging and I'm writing. With luck, I'll be doing my dance practice with the new DVD in about 45 minutes or so.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #577 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 3:54am

*sigh* No practice tonight, too much other stuff to do but on the other hand, chapter 4 is almost done.
I've put it to bed and I think I'll head out myself. Skywise will be home soon and there are a couple of things I need to finish before we go to bed.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2009 at 3:59am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #578 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 10:22pm

Evening.
We had to run all over the place this afternoon to get the 50 foot cable we needed but we found one and Skywise has been working on the home network and getting all the mundane details of our new association with HughesNet settled.
We've figured out/found out why we kept losing and restoring the connection last night -- weather -- and why things slowed down so much after the first couple of hours. It seems that there is a "quota" on downloads of video and such about which we did not know and the girls blew through the entire thing in a couple of hours watching YouTubes. Because we "went over" our "speed" was cut back to dialup levels. As I understand it, we'll be back up to speed after a 24 hour "penalty period."*sigh* Skywise is not particularly happy. We can, of course, increase our quota by upgrading our plan which I really don't think is gonna happen. Unless I hit all the numbers in the lottery tonight.
*sigh* I'm gonna go get caught up and then it will be time to fix dinner. I'll drop back in later. Smiley 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #579 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 4:36am

I'm back just in time to say goodnight. Our "penalty phase" is still in effect and things are loading slower than they did on dial-up. I have no idea how long it is going to take this post to go up which is why I'm making it now.
No, I can't say I'll be recommending HughesNet to anyone.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley[smiley=goodnight.gif]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #580 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 4:53pm

Afternoon. We're finally out of the "penalty box" and back up to speed. Skywise has spent the morning digging through HughesNet's website finding out all the important things that they neglect to tell you when you sign up. On the plan we have, we are limited to 200 megabytes of download in 24 hours. There is not, naturally, any easy way to keep track of how close you are to your limit and if you continue downloading once you're over the limit, the penalty is extended. On the bright side, they allow unlimited downloads between 3 and 6 am EST. At the moment, because of DST, this period starts at 2 am. I think you can see why this particular circumstance is not particularly restrictive for us... Smiley
Right now, Skywise is working on getting the computer in our bedroom, an older translucent 'colored' iMac, set up for dial-up and online. Once that's done, we'll have every working computer in the Hall connected to the internet one way or another.
This is a good thing.
I'm going to get caught up. Catch ya later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #581 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 6:00pm

*giggle* Ty Pennington is cussing Indiana weather right now.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is working on a house in Indianapolis this week. Last night, it poured with high winds. Today is "teardown day" and a nice mix of rain and snow showers is moving into the area as I type. The forecast for the rest of the week calls for rain showers and/or thunderstorms for three of the next seven days. The wind is expected to be lively too. Again *giggle*. I might have to watch that episode when it comes on. The neighborhood that the house is in isn't that far from the fair grounds. 'Sides, watching Ty bellowing through his bullhorn in a downpour is always fun....
Yeah, being evil again!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #582 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 9:59pm

We ran into town to get some gas, a late lunch and a few groceries.
Where the heck did spring go? I had to haul my winter coat back out. Not the "Blizzard with wind chill from hell" coat but my everyday "Not quite cold as hell" winter coat. It was a definite "downer". 
The SunLord is beginning to get used to the dish in the front yard. I guess he figures that it hasn't eaten anyone yet and the "big ones" (humans) are okay with it so maybe it's okay. Smiley  I figure in another week or so, he'll be ignoring it.
Now I need to do some 'housewifey' stuff. I'll be back later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #583 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 11:51pm

I've been doing some "housewifey stuff" as well as some "naughty stuff" and I'll be starting dinner pretty soon. I've been looking at the amount of material that the Castle is generating: the books themselves, the source material and the references I'm having to generate. I think I'm gonna need a bigger memory stick but first I have to figure out how much bigger! Fortunately, the cost of memory keeps coming down. *goes off to ponder bits and bytes and gigs and such in relation to pages....*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #584 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:30am

Observation: I'm glad I keep records. Otherwise I might think that I was hallucinating....

Or having a "senior moment"...

Neither of which is the case.

The best way to "cover one's tracks" is to not leave any in the first place.  Specifically, don't do anything that you'll need to cover up later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #585 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 2:27am

Dinner is done and about to be eaten. Chapter 4 is up to 54 pages and will likely hit 55 when all's said and done. I don't know if I'll get it finished tonight or not. If not tonight, then tomorrow.
Right now, I'm gonna go stuff my face! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #586 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 3:50am

Sustenance has been ingested.
The trash has been taken out.
And I might JUST get chapter 4 done tonight!  Skywise and I have decided that there is nothing on tomorrow morning's agenda so snoozing late is possible. I think that we might be wanting to do some downloads yet tonight. Unlimited downloads start at 2 am local so it may be a late night.
Okay! Enough updating! Back to the action!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #587 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 5:22am

Chapter 4 is done! It was a hard struggle but I'm pretty sure that everything in it makes a reasonable amount of sense! Smiley It came in at 55 pages.
I'll let it sit for a couple of days then I'll read it over and make sure that it makes sense! Smiley
I'll start on Chapter 5 tomorrow. The Greek god Horkos makes his appearance and that is seldom a good thing and in Our Heroine's case it's a really bad thing. Yep, the fertilizer hits the fan in Chapter 5 and it gets worse in Chapter 6. By the time I get to Chapter 7, I will likely need a long vacation or at least a short rest! There will still be plenty of story to go and I'm going to need to do some research [and I gotta start hunting for references!] but the "heavy" emotional stuff will be out of the way.
I'm going to run Chapter 4 through spell check and put it to bed. Maybe I'll start that "reference hunt" yet tonight.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #588 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:29am

Ahhh... life is good and the Gods are kind! Skywise has informed me that our military reference library doesn't have anything on basic "basic training" although we have a number of specialized texts on military subjects. [No, my man isn't ex-military but he is interested in military history and subjects.] Anyway, I've found a book on amazon that comes highly recommended by the reviewers. Since it will be a bit before I need it, I'm going to see if Half Price books has it before I order it from amazon. Yes, Chapter 8 will see Our Hero's good looking behind in the clutches of military drill instructors in the service of Ares, the WarGod of the Greeks! I'm gonna have fun with this part since the aforementioned God is the doting father of Our Heroine and he's a mite POed at Our Hero at this point in the story! *giggle*  I'm also going to need the complete or nearly complete breakdown of Our Heroine's belly dance for Chapter 9 which is why I've been working so singlemindedly on the choreography! I can't describe it if I don't know what it is! So the rest of my spring into summer is all planned out for me. That should minimize the amount of unnecessary trouble I have time to get into. Yep, only necessary trouble for this girl! *giggle*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #589 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:52am

*yawn!* I have not only hit my "fatigue wall", I have slid down into a heap at the base of it and am preparing to fall asleep. Time for this little writerperson to head out, tuck myself into my nice warm bed [Skywise is still downstairs downloading.] and imagine myself.... hmmmm.... never mind. Too naughty for the site. Smiley

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #590 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:10pm

Afternoon.
It was a pretty decent day until the propane truck pulled into the driveway.
I am now the proud possessor of a $641.89 propane bill. And that is just for the Hall. He hasn't been to the Guest House yet and they usually send me the fill slip. So there will be a "lovely" surprise in the mailbox in a couple of days...
*sigh* I refuse to worry about it now. The state taxes come first. [The Fed is already taken care of.]
Later.

Post # One, Two, Ffffffooooouuuuuurrrrrrr [Another family joke..]
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:13pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #591 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:49pm

Started work on chapter 5.
I suspect that persons of the female persuasion aren't going to be happy with me when Book 2 hits the stands.
Too bad. They will need to remind themselves that this is a book and the needs of the story come first.  Of course, given the egos I'm talking about here... well, it is always all about them. Always has been, always will be.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #592 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 7:40pm

After due consideration, I'm instituting "Not giving a damn" mode for at least the rest of the day. Other people's problems, about which I can do absolutely nothing at present, are getting to me a bit too much right now. If I could do something to help or even offer support, it would be different but I can't so I'm gonna have to just shut that part of me off for the day. Maybe tomorrow too, I'll just have to see.  The "pressure" is increasing and that is why things are as they are but knowing that doesn't help much with coping.
So. "Initiating 'Not giving a damn' Mode Now...."
Activating iTunes.
Do laundry.
Later.... 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #593 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 10:48pm

Having two characters with the same name is very confusing. [Glares at original poster whose bright idea it was!]
I am therefore going to make life a bit easier on myself and the readers by revealing the second character's real name -- disguised as a nickname -- right to start with. This will help me keep my sometimes weak grasp on sanity while I sort this mess out!
Yes, Chapter 5 is making me crazy...
Okay. Crazier....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #594 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 4:44am

I'm still sorting Chapter 5 around laundry, dishes and dinner. A lot happens in this chapter and even after cutting out a LOT of extraneous "fertilizer" that was thrown in because a.) some of the posters didn't know what was going on (and couldn't be bothered to find out) or b.) simply didn't care, being intent on doing "their thing" there is still a lot going on that needs more explanation than we could do in the original thread. Guess who gets to do the explaining....
Yep, and in some cases I will be attempting to explain something that the original poster never got around to explaining to me! Smiley I also have to explain why Our Heroine went crazy -- I think I have that one covered! -- and smooth out a couple of other "rough" spots 'caused by a poster's single minded dedication to getting Our Hero in a compromising position in public which caused me no end of worry since I didn't own the Castle's original home and I wasn't sure just how "liberal" the owners were prepared to be! [And yes, she got her little nose out of joint when I politely asked her to tone it down and explained my reasons.]
Ahhh, enough ranting already. I need to get a little more work done before I call it a night.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #595 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 4:57am

Heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

Post #12,450
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2009 at 5:01pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #596 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 5:00pm

Afternoon.
We're in the penalty box again but we think Skywise has figured out why. We have three computers in the network and when he turned on the third one last night, we got flagged even though we were below our limit and he was just word processing. Smiley Soooo, as of right now, the downstairs computer is back on dial-up. We'll reserve that one for word processing without web surfing and if Spirit wants to download YouTubes outside of the "free period" she can do it down there. Waiting for them to load doesn't aggravate her as much as it does Moonie and with only one comp on the line, it won't slow everyone else down. So we should be back up to speed at 1 am tonight local. Since Skywise has the late shift tonight, that isn't a problem. I have a 10 am dental appointment in the morning so we can't stay up as long as we might like but when things download in minutes rather than hours, that's okay.
Gonna go get caught up and start going to the mat with Chapter 5. This one is a Smiley and then some. Later. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #597 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 7:37pm

I've been working on Chapter 5. The sexual/vampiric assault on Our Heroine is now out of the way. Another author might have been more "explicit" about what exactly went on but hurling on a relatively new keyboard -- or any keyboard for that matter! -- is a bad idea and that is what I would have done had I gotten "descriptive" about the assault. [Those of you who know me really well can probably guess what activities I'm referring to.] The readers can let their imaginations fill in the details. Next up, is the sexual encounter between the Minor Villainess and Our Hero. I'm gonna be more detailed here as there is considerably less chance of upchucking with this scene.

I've patched together an audio tape of my belly dance music. I don't have all of it on iTunes yet -- still no digital recorder -- but with the comp's built in DVD player, iTunes and a tape recorder with an external microphone it wasn't too difficult to do. The result has an unacceptable amount of "hiss" and more background noise than I like but it tells me what I wanted to know. The five pieces of music fit together reasonably well and the "flow" from one piece to the next is acceptably smooth, no jarring "cuts" from one to the next. I'll listen to it a few more times to be sure but it's looking good.
Skywise will be leaving in about an hour. After that, I'll settle in to work on the "naughty" activity... IN THE BOOK, you dirty minded people you!
*giggle* Later. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #598 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 11:07pm

I decided to take a writing break after my last post and got some "housekeeping" done. I got a new 8GB memory stick strictly for the books and related materials today and I was going through the six different memory sticks I have getting things sorted. I also came up with some ideas for new projects and therefore, new files! Smiley With 8GB of space, it should be a while before I run out of room!
I also took some aspirin for my leg -- Wal-Mart this morning, don't ya know -- so I'm probably going to be practicing pretty soon. THEN, I'll get to writing the "naughty stuff" about which, I will admit, I've been thinking hard about! *giggle*
Later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #599 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:21am

I'm taking a short break from the "naughty stuff" to work on a section of dialogue between the First Knight and Our Hero regarding the actions of the Minor Villianess. Smiley As written, it doesn't sound very natural -- with apologies to the Original Poster -- and I'm trying to fix that while keeping the overall tone. Not easy this late at night. Three hours to go until Skywise gets home and we head for bed. I'm yawning now so I think I'll be ready! I'm going to have the dentist check this tooth tomorrow. I've been 'aware' of it a little too often. Like -- right now and after I brush my teeth. Methinks something is going on with it and it would be nice to know what. I just hope I can hang onto it for a few more months. The longer we can put off a dentist bill, the better.
Now, back to this bit of dialogue....
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:37am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41
Send TopicPrint