Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Themysciran Path (Read 1039 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

The Themysciran Path
Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
The Way of a 21st Century Amazon.

Before I say another thing, one thing must be clearly understood. I make NO claim whatsoever to the historical or cultural high ground here, nor do I have any "divinely inspired" and or channeled information. What I have attempted to do here is construct a path that could have logically been followed by a Queen-led, egalitarian, nomadic/semi-nomadic warrior culture. Ancient historians reported that the Amazons worshiped Deities that came from the Greek pantheon and they identified them by their Greek names.  For my own practice, I use the "romanized" spelling of the Greek names. I first encountered those names as a child (fifth grade, actually, when I got access to my school system's high school library) and while definitely not historically accurate -- the native language of the Amazons likely wasn't Greek, after all! --  I'm comfortable with those names. Neither do I restrict myself to the traditional "war" deities in this system. There is more to life than war, even for Amazons who had families and a home life.  Furthermore, as the Spartans so ably demonstrated, every deity in the entire Greek pantheon could -- and in their practice, did -- have a "warrior" aspect so saying that any particular deity would have no place in a "warrior" culture would likely be an inaccurate statement. 

I've investigated a number of traditions since I realized that I was a person of the Pagan persuasion and while none of them "clicked" for me, I found something in each that appealed to me and I kept those things as I continued my search. The search continues and I doubt that I will ever be finished but I feel like I can begin sharing what I do. Actually, because I'm a solitary lifemated to a Christian, my rituals when performed are simple requiring very little in the way of tools. This fits in with the "nomadic culture" aspect in which everything would have to be able to be packed up and hauled to the next camp. Following that reasoning, my altar -- which is large. I'm a klutz and need elbow room!  -- can, if necessary be taken apart and made into a stack two feet by three feet by about six inches thick. The candle stands that mark the quarters can also be taken apart. My "circle" is a round black rug that can be rolled or folded up. The rest of the stuff: candles and holders, deity representations, salt and water bowls, incense and holders, containers to receive offerings, symbols for the quarters and specialized odds and ends like a small cauldron, altar coverings and decorative banners can be packed up into a reasonably sized box if needed. My ritual knife is an ebony handled, double edged sharpened dagger with scabbard that also fits in a box. Everything I need to set up my "temple" could be packed up and loaded in my minivan without too much difficulty if necessary. More important that tools and trappings, however, are ethics and I'll attempt to outline those next.    

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Themysciran Path
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post  
People make a big deal out of honor and ethics but facts are facts and the overwhelming majority of people are only as honorable and ethical as they have to be. If they can get away with something, they will. Large or small, the size of the transgression doesn’t matter if they can get away with it.  All that matters is what is getting what they want, regardless of anything else. Striving to be honorable and ethical in such a world is difficult to say the least.  The following list is the code of honor/ethics that I complied a decade or so ago and have tried to live by ever since. It is based on an honor code I ran across while investigating the “Northern Traditions” of paganism which explains the “style” in which they are written.  I’ll dig into my books and once I locate the inspiration for this code, I’ll be back and give credit where it is due.  Many, if not most, people would find this code difficult to live by.  No one has every said that building character and living an honorable life was easy but, in the end, it is worth it.  

Code of Honor

1.     Consider the consequences of every action.  Strive to avoid harm to yourself and others.  When harm is unavoidable, avoid malice above all else.

2.     All that which you do will return to you, sooner of later, for good or ill.  Strive always to do good to others or, at least, strive always to be just.  

3.     What you do, take responsibility for.  If you make a mess, clean it up.

4.     Know which battles should be fought and which should be passed by.  Likewise, know when to walk away from a fight and don’t be afraid to.  Finally, know that some battles are not meant to be won, only fought.

5.     Honor yourself. Have pride in yourself. Do your best and forgive yourself when you must.

6.     Everyone should work at what they do best, no matter how small or great the task and take pride in a job well done.

7.     Develop the body, the mind and the spirit. Do not neglect any of them.

8.     Give your word sparing and keep it without fail.

9.     Obey the laws of the land. If a law is unjust, work legally to change it.

10.    What is yours, KEEP!

11.    Remember the difference between honesty and cruelty and strive for honesty.

12.    Know when to keep silent and when to speak.  When you speak, speak the truth, gently if you can, bluntly if you must.

13.    Protect your family and people with the ferocity of a tiger.

14.    Children should obey their parents.  Parents should cherish their children.  Parents and children should love and respect their elders.  Spouses should care for one another.

15.    Allow others their choices even if you believe them to be wrong.  Their life lessons are different from yours.

16.    The body of an adult Amazon or Warrior is theirs alone, to share or withhold as the individual sees fit.  Attempts to coerce or interfere with such choices are forbidden.          

17.    Do not gossip, cheat or steal.  Do not murder.

18.    Be prepared.  Life is unpredictable.

19.    Whatever you must do, do without complaint.  Martyrdom is unbecoming in an adult, an Amazon or a Warrior.

20.    Evil flourishes when ignored. Do not ignore evil and do not fear it.

21.    Know you rights and defend them.  Likewise, defend the rights of others.

22.    It is the duty of those with the power to help those in need if they are worthy and request help.  Likewise, if someone looks to you for protection, it is dishonorable to fail to do so.

23.    It is permitted to use the power for defense or to obtain justice.

24.    It is forbidden to use the power to cause malicious harm, to coerce another to do the illegal or dishonorable or to interfere with another’s free will.

25.    Help one another and treat everyone with respect unless they have become so dishonorable as to deserve no respect. In that instance, simple civility will suffice.

26.    Try always to be above reproach in the eyes of the world.  Self-control is a virtue to be cultivated.

27.    Live in harmony with the natural world.

28.    Honor the Gods.

29.    We are of the world.  It is our home. Rejoice in this and live life fully and unafraid.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2009 at 3:10am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint