Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gothic Decorating: The Small Stuff (Read 7932 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Gothic Decorating: The Small Stuff
Nov 5th, 2009 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Gotta love the "After Halloween" sales! Usually the stuff is pretty lame and cheap looking but today I made a find. I was in the Floral Gulch Target store and they're putting out the Christmas stuff and all the Halloween stuff was on sale. I started through, looking for some decorating stuff, looked down and there was a beautiful centerpiece of dark red and black roses in a black container. I snatched it up, of course! The paint on the container is dinged in a few places so the white plaster shows but that's nothing that a bit of matte acrylic paint won't fix! I'll do that and take a picture of my find before I tuck it away until next season.
I DO wish I could interest Skywise in black or red china but he won't budge. Plates, bowls, etc. are supposed to be WHITE, thank you very much! *sigh* I'll have to see what I can do with table linens and such....
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2013 at 3:33am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Gothic Decorating: The Small Stuff
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Since I made that post, I found a picture frame -- that's just waiting for me to print out the picture I want in it -- that is sitting on my dressing table along with the rose centerpiece. Such finds are few and far between sadly. I was prowling Walmart today in hopes of finding something, anything that would alleviate the relentless "ordinariness" of the Hall. What little I found that wasn't geared to children and teens was cheap looking (although NOT inexpensive!) and not all that well made. Moonie and I found a small wreath that will do to use through Thanksgiving but I'm going to have to unleash my "Inner Morticia Addams" and channel her through Martha Stewart to get the kind of "darkly elegant" items I want for next year. Wreaths with large gray skulls in the middle are a bit too "campy" for my taste. Fortunately, wreath bases are available year round so that part won't be a problem. I happened on some black cloth napkins and checked them out. They were priced at 2 for $1.97 but the material was thin, the hems a bit too wide and the stitching sloppy. I put them back and marched my little self to the store's craft department. I pulled down the bolt of black teeshot poplin and got two yards to get me started. I'll make my OWN napkins, thank you very much and now that vacation is out of the way, I'll be making my black kitchen curtains too! I've already made the curtain rod. Once those little projects are done I'll turn my attention to something else 'cause frankly I'm BORED to tears with "ordinary."
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2013 at 4:12am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 12:14am
Print Post  
With the cookbook stand assembled and out of the way, I'm ready to start on the black kitchen curtains and the dinner napkins. I made a pattern for the napkins this evening and I have the fabric so I'm all set. I may end up hemming them by hand if I can't machine stitch them neatly enough. I plan to make a dozen of them and I should have the technique down cold by the time I'm finished. I may make some white ones (have yards of white teeshot) and blood red if I can find fabric. Red napkins/place mats/table runners would work wonderfully for Christmas/Yule -- especially if the place mats and runners are made of a Christmas themed fabric -- so there shouldn't be any objection to them. I have my eye on some Halloween themed fabric for a Halloween table runner and maybe place mats to go with the plain (as in no design) napkins.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2013 at 12:16am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Bad me! I just ordered this...

Post # 55,000 for the site. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:07pm by Penthesilea »  

X8280_c_13_Main.png ( 1049 KB | Downloads )
X8280_c_13_Main.png

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure where she ^ will eventually be displayed but considering that the first "Haunted Beauty" Barbie sold out in 4 days before I could decide to get one, I took no chances this time. I could NOT let this one get away!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
GORGEOUS!!!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Yes, she is and the detailing on these "Gold Label" Adult Collector dolls is amazing. Here's the link. Yeah, she ain't cheap...

http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/doll/haunted-beauty-vampire-barbie-doll-x828...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 5:14pm:
I got some Halloween themed fabric today -- not as much as I wanted sadly -- so I'll see what can be done with it.

I just got done with the fabric and I was able to get a short table runner and four placemats out of it once I fiddled with the instructions. The pattern calls for making the runner and placemats the same on both sides with polyester batting between the layers. Well, when the local Walmart decided to do away with their fabric department [a decision they later regretted] I picked up yards and YARDS of black quilt backing -- which, if you don't know, is polyester batting that is quilted onto a fabric backing on one side (they do make quilt "backing" that is faced on both sides. Makes dandy fast baby quilts among other things) -- so I decided that I would use the fabric that I got today for one side and use the quilt backing to replace the separate batting and reverse side. I've got the "fronts" cut out and I'll do the backs tomorrow since it's getting late in the day to start something major. I'm going to change the designs a little since I don't want to fool with turning things right side out but that will allow me to personalize them more. The fabric is black with a metallic spiderweb design on it and I expect everything to look maximum cool when they're all done.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I just checked the tracking and my Vampire Barbie is sitting in the Martinsville Post Office. I fully expect her to be delivered tomorrow. I am in the throes of "doll lust" which only another collector is likely to understand.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
She arrived a few minutes ago. She's still "in box" and, like Athena, will stay there for a while although I'll probably take her out so I can fully appreciate her before she goes back in for safekeeping.

Vampire_Barbie.png ( 1049 KB | Downloads )
Vampire_Barbie.png

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 3:35am
Print Post  
I've been poking around various Goth crafting sites and all I can say is "Borinnnnnnnng!"

Black and purple. Purple and black with occasional blood spatters of various sizes to break up the monotony. Spiders, cobwebs and bats. Bats, cobwebs and spiders. I'm not seeing a darn thing that makes me go "Wow! That's cool!" Although I stumbled over pictures of a "Goth wedding" where they took plastic vampire teeth like kids sport at Halloween, painted them metallic silver and used them as place card holders. THAT struck me as a cute, fun idea and I'm filing it away for future reference. Other than that, nothing. Now I know that the "Goth mindset" has a reputation for "gloomy" but what's out there seems more "depressed/emo" than anything else. I personally think you can do "Goth" and/or "Vampire" while being happy and having some fun with it.

"If Life isn't fun, you're doing it wrong!" ~ Me.

That can't be the case ALL the time, I know as well as anyone but dang it, it's a goal to shoot for!

Vampire_place_cards.jpg ( 44 KB | Downloads )
Vampire_place_cards.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 5:51am
Print Post  
I am SO doing this as soon as I can find the right parts!!!

http://decoratingforevents.com/halloween-party-ideas-diy-creepy-candelabra/

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 4:07am
Print Post  
I really like this version of the "creepy candelabra" although I don't consider it especially creepy but I suppose that some would. I think I'll have to make several -- "practice makes perfect" ya know. And thinking about next Halloween is more fun that contemplating all the yard work that is going to be needing to be done when the snow melts and the ground firms up.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2014 at 4:09am by Penthesilea »  

creepy-candelabra-1.png ( 618 KB | Downloads )
creepy-candelabra-1.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint