Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic meteorites (Read 180 times)
Lightdragon
Board Moderator

meteorites
Feb 21st, 2010 at 11:02am
Print Post  
by Wolfsong

A meteorite is a mass of stone or metal which has reached the earth from outer space.
How and when meteorites formed is a subject of scientific theorizing. Radiometric dating of meteorites shows ages of around 4.5 billion years, about 700 million years older than the oldest rocks on Earth.

Meteorites can be broken down into several classes which are listed below.

Iron Meteorites originate in the cores of asteroids that orbit the Sun between Mars and Jupiter. Seismic studies indicate that the Earth has an Iron-Nickle core which is probably very similar to Iron meteorites. This is a very powerful stone and should never be worked with lightly. For some it's the ultimate stone of protection. It is a double edged sword though in the sense that this stone if not worked with properly or if misused will lash out at attackers using thier own energies. It cannot be stressed enough that one needs to know how to work with this stone before using it under practical circumstances. In other words take your time getting to know its energies and how to use them. Along with protection it is also an excellent grounding stone. It is a stone of change, a stone which allows you to understand and come to grips with the idea that even through drastic life-altering changes which may seem devastating at the time we can go on and in a lot of cases this devastation clears the ground for future personal growth.
I have spent a lot of time working with Iron meteorites and I feel that a lot of what needs to be learned about these stones needs to be learned by the individual when he/she is ready. I dont share many "deep" teachings from minerals with people as I feel those are meant to be learned by the individual. I tend only to share the basics. In regards to Iron meteorites however it is ok to share one of these teachings. Some people feel that this is a very sacred stone in many ways but one way stands out from all others and that is in helping the soul transcend after death. Some feel strongly that this stone teaches us that no matter how tragic the death, that the soul goes on as does all life, and if buried with someone helps thier soul to move on to begin anew.

There are two types of stoney meteorites, Chondrites and Achondrites.

Chondrites are a type of meteorite containing mineral spheres called chondrules. (millimeter-sized mineral spheres found in stoney chondrite meteorites. Chondrules are formed by the re-melting of mineral grains in the solar nebula) Most Chondrites are believed to originate in the asteroids that orbit the Sun between Mars and Jupiter. Chondrites contain between 2 and 21% Iron-Nickle metal. These tend to put forth a very "timeless new" feeling. They are great fertility stones and help in all areas relating to this. there was a woman who was trying to get pregnant and after 14 months of no luck 3 weeks later she was pregnant. This stone also helps in finding long sought for answers which relate to finding new ways of doing things. It breeds ideas.They help to link us to and remind us of primordial evolution in its most basic forms. Chondrites also bring together different generations of families.

Achondrites are meteorites which lack chondrules. Achondrites are formed by igneous processes on or near the surface of larger asteroids and planets.

Stoney-Iron meteorites are defined as being about equal parts of Iron and silicate minerals. Most stoney-iron meteorites can be classified as either Pallasites or Mesosiderites.

Pallasites are rocks that originated at the boundry between the Iron core of an asteroid and its stone crust or mantle. Similar rocks may exist at the boundry of the Earth's crust and its molten core. Most consider these to be the most beautiful meteorites. Pallasites are probably the third most expensive type right behind Lunar and Martian specimens. Irons tend to be the cheapest and relatively affordable due to the fact they are by far the most common to hit the earth and are the easiest to find due to thier high Iron content. thier connection to the sense of the only constant is change. It teaches us that change is constant and not always fast paced. Sometimes to achieve enduring goals, long term business success or long lasting relationships one needs to progress slowly and meticulously. The one thing we can never do in these cases is to stop. This process needs to be a steadily evolving one and Pallasites teach us this process and helps us find the answers as to how to proceed in these situations.

Mesosiderites are mixures of Iron and stoney material in a breccia. Some of these may be from the very surface of asteriods, essentially a "soil" which is formed by many different kinds of meteorites impacting on the asteroid's surface. Others may be more related to the ways in which Pallasites were formed. These teach us the same concept of progressing on in life but in a much faster way. Sometimes we have limited time to accomplish certain things and Mesosiderites are there to show us how to accomplish these things. Lots of times the actions may require drastic moves on our part but at times we need to act fast to accomplish what needs to be done even if we are not accustomed to it. Mesosiderites teach us exactly this.

There are many legends pertaining to meteorites throughout the world. Here are but a few. In Switzerland a meteorite was considered to posess the power of the Gods. Swabians believed that a shooting star presaged a year of good fortune but if one saw 3 in one night he was doomed to die. The ancient Greeks held meteorites as objects of veneration. The wall of the Ka'ba, the holiest shrine of Islam at Mecca, contains a black stone which has been reported to be of meteoritic origin. Meteorites have been found at North American Indian graves in situations suggesting they were worshipped.

Ceremonial uses of meteorites have been noted throughout the world by pre-industrial people. They were used to create objects of decoration and worship including beads, plaques, knives, daggers, amulets, ax heads, buttons and other ornaments.

A lot of meteorite hunters just travel around the world to villages and comminities around areas like the Gobi Dessert or the Sahara. Locals who travel the area know meteorites are worth a lot of money and collect them hoping to sell them to buyers. Buyers go to these locations not only to buy the specimens from the locals but also to get information on where they found them in the hopes that a more thorough search will find more or bigger specimens. I know of one individual collector who went to a village on the edge of the Gobi and bought a large specimen off a local. He payed the local what he said was one year's wages (which, in my opinion, would really not equate to that much in American funds) After bringing it back to the states, getting it classified and cutting it into specimens for sale and donation (most meteorite hunters realise the potential of what may be discovered in these specimens and offer samples to different universities and funded organizations for farther studies) he sold the remaining specimens individually for a total of $150,000.00

The meteorite industry is unique in this way, lots of people working together not only for financial gain but also for scientific knowledge. There are however, as in every other field, those just out for the mighty dollar with no regards to the scientific value of these specimens.

Something that should be discussed when talking bout working with meteorites is handling and storage. Meteorites, especially Iron and Stoney Iron ones are notorious for rusting. With this being the case it is a good idea to pay extra attention to meteorites compared to other minerals.

When handling meteorites some go to the extent of wearing disposable gloves or cotton gloves. This stops body fluids and oils from coming into contact with them. Otherss handle them minimally and when done take the time to give them a good drying/cleaning. Some go so far as to clean the specimen using an acid solution and after that letting them soak in an anhydrous alcohol bath for a few hours. When this is done they apply a clear lacquer (several thin coats work best) to permanently seal the specimen. I find that minimal handling and proper care right after work fine.

Do Not Meddle in the Affair of Dragons, for you are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup!
IP Logged

Lightdragon
Board Moderator

Re: meteorites
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Storage is another area of concern. I live in a fairly dry environment so I dont have many concerns but I have heard of people who live in humid environs who have had some serious issues with rusting. Many display thier meteorites on stands or in Caliper stands. The Caliper stands are especially attractive. Although humidity may be an issue if proper and regular cleaning is done there wont be an issue. The other issue with any open display is dust and again... too much human contact which will lead to contact with moisture and oil from the human body.
Others get custom display cases made which may be lit and even climate controled. This is an ideal setting but unfortunately may also be very expensive.
Some choose to enclose thier specimens permanently in a lucite resin. (this just doesnt seem right to me and I have no idea to the reasoning behind it)
Specimen Drawers are another option and work well if one has a cabinet with drawers in it.
Some people just keep thier specimens in specimen bags (ziplock bags) These however should only be used for temporary storage seeing they may seal in moisture as well.
Lastly some use Riker Mounts (this is what I do). These are heavy cardboard picture frame like mounts with glass for a lid and a cotton cushion in the bottom. They seal fairly tight and look good and best of all they are inexpensive. One thing I add to the Riker Mount is a small packet of Desiccant gel which I place behind the cotton. I change this every 6 months. If any moisture does make it into the case this stuff will absorb it.

Meteorites do call for a little more attention and work to keep them happy and content but thier beauty and abilities to help far outweigh the little extra attention.

ALL meteroites have this in common:
Grounding: All make good grounding stones all-be-it to different extents.

Protection: Same here.. all offer protection to different extents.

Catalysts of Change: All, in different ways, are great for showing us that change is a natural thing and should not be feared. They all have proven to be great guides and teachers to help us through this change as well.

Martian meteorites:
For years scientists thought they were finding meteorites from mars. Most of these were being found in Antarctica origially but then some started being found in othr parts of the world including middle eastern desert regions. They based their origins on Spectrographic annalisis of Martian formations and then comparing their findings to meteorites found on Earth. This method can be conclusive but a smal fraction of doubt must remain. Then came along the meteorite named SaU 008. Spectrographic annalisis confirmed a Martian origin but it wasn't until they started slicing it that the secret was revieled. They started finding minute pockets within the specimens and then someone came up with the idea of scanning the specimens before cutting to lcate these voids within. When found holes were drilled into the specimens in a sterile environ and the gasses were captured... it wasn't long before they found that the gas makeup matched perfectly the atmosphere of Mars.

Do Not Meddle in the Affair of Dragons, for you are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint