Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' VIII: The Phantom Posts! (Read 40868 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' VIII: The Phantom Posts!
Reply #200 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:23am

Heading out. Skywise should be home soon and I'm done for the night.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #201 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 5:05pm

Afternoon!
I've been up for a while, getting a few small chores done.
Changes are coming to Sanctuary and fairly soon. I've just about settled on a new name for this site. The url will stay the same so there's no need to worry about that but, yeah, I haven't been happy with "Serenity Sanctuary" for sometime and since we're about to make some changes in the site software, now is the time.

Oh, I haven't mentioned that yet, have I?
The only thing that is settled at the moment is that Sanctuary is going to get a makeover.  We're still deciding how big of one.  One choice is to upgrade our current YaBB software from 2.2 to 2.5. Or.... we can change the software completely to vBulletin. Our sister-site, Universal Sacred Space will be undergoing the software conversion this weekend if current plans hold. The vB people have assured the admin staff there that there will be NO loss of content. Everything can and will be transferred except individual passwords which will need to be reset but there is a way for members to access their accounts to do that so no worries there. Skywise and I will be observing the conversion.  As a USS administrator, I'll have a ringside seat. After USS has converted, Skywise and I will analyze the results and decide what we're going to do with Sanctuary.
Conversion to vB looks very attractive from a "features" standpoint and will set us up nicely to expand once my novels are published since providing a "home" for them was the original intent of this site as well as providing a place to discuss "real world" magick, paranormal and occult topics.  The costs involved (one time only fees for the software and installation) also look very doable so vB conversion is definitely in the running.
As soon as we have definite plans, I'll post them and before "whatever" happens, I'll be sending out emails to everyone so that no one is caught by surprise.  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #202 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:15pm

I've been a busy girl today.
There was an a/c technician available today to check our air conditioner which turned out to be a very good thing. There was a part that was going out and some wiring was melting. We were days from the a/c going out but it's all fixed now. I've also been doing some serious housecleaning this afternoon. I'm not finished for the day but I'm taking a breather right now before I go put the laundry away and sort through a mountain of papers that either need to be stored, tossed or shredded and burned. I've also been spending a little time researching emergency preparedness/self-sufficiency with an eye to retirement and the general uncertainties of life -- like blizzards and ice storms -- which can make getting supplies in here an adventure.  Late next month will see me starting to lay in our "winter weather emergency" supplies and I'm always looking for better ways to do that. So while I haven't done any writing yet today, the day has been productive.  Now I need to get to that laundry.
Later.

Post # 16,161
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:15pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #203 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 12:09am

Taking a well deserved break. I've been going though a MOUNTAIN of mail, most of it junk, that has to be sorted into "toss", "keep" and "burn bag" piles.
The task is mind numbing. So I'm taking a break and I think I'm going to have a small snack. My last meal wore off a while ago...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #204 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 1:04am

Omm: A high tech calvary charge (tech armored horses, air bikes, "Airwolf-style" helicopters and really POed giant cats) through a very large magickal portal led by Our Heroine as she rides to break the Siege of Hidden Bay....

Something for Book 4 when Our Lady has finally, really and truly HAD ENOUGH  and goes to get her Beloved back...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #205 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 5:27am

Tired. It's been a long day and it isn't done yet. It will be at least two hours before Skywise gets home. I'll be awake but not for very long after that.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #206 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 7:33am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #207 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 6:36pm

Afternoon!
We went to Floral Gulch this morning for lunch. Yeah, we slept through "breakfast" and went straight to lunch.  We got back a while ago and I've been puttering around, getting caught up and, since the humidity is in the 30% range and the temps are in the mid-70's, we've turned off the a/c and opened the place up for a while. The heat is expected to return over the weekend so we're going to get the place aired out while we can!

Post # 16,166
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2010 at 7:07pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #208 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 8:45pm

I've been looking at various sites where free vBulletin skins are available, mostly for the sister-site but for Sanctuary too if that's the way we go. Gonna need to have the name changed on the site banners we have and get some new ones too. Smiley We'll need help with that or Photoshop. Or both...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #209 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 9:16pm

Been looking into GIMP. We got it a few years ago but it didn't have a "manual" and I didn't have time for trial and error. NOW there are manuals so it may be time to try again...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #210 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 10:18pm

Found some pretty vB template/skins out there.  I'm pretty sure that if USS's conversion goes well, SS will be following suit. With that in mind, I'm starting to make a little list of the independently produced templates that I will want to download with ideas for banners to go with them. I've seen a light gray/silver one that I particularly like. I may get it and use the same color scheme on one where we can increase the font size. There are a lot of people out there with bad eyesight or who just want a larger font. Gonna have to find/make something "gothy" of course and probably something out and out "vamp" too. For Halloween/Samhain if nothing else! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #211 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 4:42am

I'm thinking about downloading GIMP and seeing what I can do with it. We need site banners with our new name on them and I'd like to do that at least. Who knows, I might even create some illustrations for the novels if I get good enough.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2010 at 4:47am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #212 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 7:49am

Got GIMP.
The world is not safe.
Heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #213 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 5:39pm

Afternoon!
Smiley It has been a short busy morning. Skywise just left for work so I'm pretty much settled in for the rest of the day. He'll be getting home early tonight Smiley so we can actually get to bed earlier and get up earlier.
I downloaded GIMP last night but it isn't installed yet. THAT job will be tackled tonight or probably tomorrow. Then I'll start learning how to use it! It should be interesting.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #214 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:53pm

I've ordered "The GIMP Bible" from a vendor on Amazon and I'm hoping that it will arrive promptly. In the meantime, I'll be collecting what graphics I can (royalty free, of course) and working out template color schemes to try.  I'd like to do something in metallic silver with black IF I can figure out how to get the "grays" to look metallic. I know that there is a trick to it, I just have to figure out what it is.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #215 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 1:13am

I've been making a few "cosmetic" changes to things to bring Sanctuary more in line with what "I" wanted in the beginning rather than what others wanted and got because I was too damned busy at the time to put my foot down. Now is the time to do this since one way or another, Sanctuary will be having a make-over relatively soon. I'm planning on keeping everything that is already here even after Sanctuary becomes the novels' official "fan site" since I'm enough of a realist to know that keeping my occult interests, among other things, secret once the books become successful won't be possible. So while I'm not going to take out ads in major metropolitan newspapers, national magazines and arrange for interviews on Entertainment Tonight and its clones to announce the fact that I'm a little pagan person, I'm not going to evade the question if/when it is asked.  Anyone that has a problem with that fact when it becomes known is just gonna have to deal with it. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #216 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:20am

I've been doing a little more fiddling while dinner cooks. I'm slowly getting satisfied with the look of the place. GOTTA get new banners with the new new name on them and I'm not liking that the "bookmark" for Sanctuary still says "Serenity Sanctuary." I'm going to have to find out how to fix that. I have to wonder how many people do a search for the television show and movie "Serenity" and end up here instead.  NOT good. At least with the new name, when the books come out, there won't be any confusion.
I'll be working on new site banners as soon as I can figure out how GIMP works.  Then I get to figure out how to install them. Fun, fun.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #217 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 4:00am

Made a few more changes, the place looks more "Samgaran/Valcarian" now. Still have some work to do but so far I'm happy and, as Nike reminded me, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #218 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 4:32am

Skywise is home and I'm going to head out. Otherwise I will sit here all night fiddling with things and I'm already cross eyed! So, off to bed I go!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #219 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Afternoon!
We're back! We had lunch in Greenwood and got some groceries. I didn't have any luck finding the photo reference books I wanted to look at but there is a bit of time (maybe a lot! Smiley ) before I'm going to need them.  I did find one that has the perfect model for Our Heroine so I'll probably get that one even though it doesn't come with a cd. Right now, I'm going to make some fresh tea and get caught up.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #220 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 11:21pm

I've just spent about three hours going through Book 2 fixing "format" errors which has resulted in adding 7 pages to the manuscript. And I haven't even started correcting the copy yet!  Smiley I'm going to have to make a pass through Book 1 checking for the same sort of errors, Book 3 I'm not worried about since I'm fixing the format as I write it. Then at some point, Books 1 and 2 will have to be printed out in hardcopy again. *sigh* THAT is gonna take a LOT of paper and ink since Book 1 is 654 pages and Book 2 is 627 pages! Book 3 doesn't have a definite page count yet but it's safe to say that it will be about as long as the first two which will put the total page count for the first three books at around 1,900 pages.
That's a LOT of pages! Smiley I'm glad that most of them are already written!
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:00am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #221 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 5:00am

The work order is in for USS's conversion to vBulletin but it hasn't started yet. I broke down and ordered that artist photo reference I wanted today. The price on amazon was good and the book is new. I'll find a way to use it.
Right now though, I'm heading for bed.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #222 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 5:21pm

Afternoon.
I've been over at USS doing my bit to help. The conversion hasn't started yet, hopefully vB will get started before too much longer since 1111 would kinda like to be online when they do it! Smiley  Updates on that as they happen!

We're having a quiet Sunday, with our vacation starting in less than two weeks, we aren't "doing" a lot aside from the usual stuff and getting ready for the vacation. Unless I get TOTALLY inspired, I'm not going to work on Book 3 again until after the vacation is over. I'll probably finish proofreading Book 2 and make the necessary corrections but that's probably it.
I got an email from the seller of the photo reference book I ordered. It's been shipped and since they are in northern Indiana, I should get the book this week some time. What with the other books that are in the pipeline, my mailbox is gonna be busy this week! I will have plenty to read while we are in route to various places during the vacation.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #223 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:04am

Heading out. The conversion at USS is still pending. Mercury is Retrograde and there is definitely a failure to communicate between the vBulletin tech and 1111. Here's hoping that things will go smoother tomorrow!  Anyway, I'm beat and my bed calls..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #224 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:19pm

Afternoon!
We went in and paid the mortgage this morning, had lunch and hit Wal-Mart. I got another component for our recycling "system" and three of the books I've been waiting for showed up in today's mail. Good day on that front.
USS is still working on converting to vBulletin and I'm taking notes.  1111 is at work right now and that is slowing things down. It should pick up once she gets home.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40
Send TopicPrint