Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Dance talk (Read 22276 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Dance talk
Sep 5th, 2010 at 7:58pm

This is the thread for general dance related chat. I know that conversation will occur in the other threads but if you just want to comment, gripe or just talk about general stuff related to dance, this is the thread for it.

Right now, I'm annoyed. The instructional dvd I ordered on the 3rd seems, according to the tracking info, be bouncing back and forth between Whitestown, IN and Hebron, KY. Where it SHOULD be, if it's gonna get delivered by the 9th (as promised) is Indianapolis but there is no sign that it is anywhere near there. The current tracking on amazon says that it is in Kentucky at present.
If I don't have my dvd by the 9th, Amazon is gonna hear about it...
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:48pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Dance talk
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 3:10pm

My dvd arrived so Amazon will not be getting a testy email! I shall have to make time to watch it today!
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:49pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:17am

I managed to watch a little of my dvd today, the performance part. I'll take time to watch it on the big screen television when things settle down a bit. Looks good though.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:50pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:22am

We went to the Indiana State Fair on the 23rd and to my delighted surprise, I discovered that a belly dance troupe was scheduled to perform on one of the free stages. This is the troupe we saw.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 5:24am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:31am

Here is one of the soloists.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:40am

Here is another part of the show..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:47am

And more. The show ran for an hour after all....

This is the same set as the first video but from the other end of the stage.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:50am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 7:17am

There is the same troupe performing at Indianapolis' Middle Eastern Festival back in '09. Yes, there is a Middle Eastern community here in the Land of Corn and Soybeans! Smiley

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:01am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 1:26am

I am equal parts discouraged and ticked.
I have been searching online for shoes suitable for belly dancing. For reasons that have no bearing on this discussion, I prefer to dance in closed toe shoes with a low heel. Such shoes are available but I have run into two problems. First is that said shoes frequently have a price tag that would require me to take out a second mortgage on the house to pay for them and secondly -- and frankly a bigger drawback -- is the fact that many dance shoe manufacturers seem to believe that no female dancer wears a shoe larger than a 10 and since the shoes frequently run small, not even that big. I am not a tall woman. I am, in fact, on the short end of "Average" but I do not have small feet. I wear an 11 in a street shoe. Most of the shoes I've found so far stop at size 10 and since there is a question about sizing, I don't want to order an expensive shoe that would possibly be too small.  Soooo.. I'm going to have to either "make do" -- which I've been doing -- or locate a dance supply store in either Indianapolis or Bloomington in hopes of finding something that I like, can afford and that fits.
So, tonight I snark.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:00am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2011 at 1:54am

There is one thing that bugs me about professionally made belly dance costumes. NO, it isn't the price! I know how long the handwork on a costume takes!
The outfits are too dang modest. Even the two-piece outfits cover up too much. I know why that is, of course. Most dancers are dancing for Middle Eastern audiences and may be Middle Eastern themselves. In Egypt, by law, a dancer's midriff MUST be covered. Which is why there is a booming business in opaque, flesh colored body stockings that are worn under the costume. That is also why you see some dancers wearing what amounts to skin tight evening gowns. It is okay wear an outfit that clings to every contour but GOD FORBID that any skin is showing! *snort*  
Fortunately, I can make my own outfits and, I'll be frank here, I LIKE showing some skin! So yeah, I like my dance bras low cut, my midriff showing and sheer skirts with slits.  Smiley I'm afraid that the Islamic religious authorities wouldn't approve of me......but I won't be dancing where they can see me. hehehe
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:03am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 3:09am

I FINALLY was able to get some dance practice in this evening, thank the Gods! I did the first 35 minutes of the dvd I decided to use and my legs were killing me by the time I finished. I "know" I'm going to ache in the morning. I think some "preemptive" aspirin is in my future. Some movements I simply could NOT do exactly as instructed with my left leg. I am hoping that as my muscles get used to the idea of dancing again, the pain/problems with my leg will ease up. I'm determined to dance and dance well because.... well.... there is "someone" I really want to dance for....  Smiley

I also found out about 10 minutes into the session that the shoes I bought online aren't going to work. They are long enough but not wide enough. My feet have always been difficult to fit -- narrow heel, high arch and wide across the ball of the foot.  These shoes fit snugly and are TOO snug through the toes. So. I'm going to have to get a suitable pair of house slippers (WalMart has some) and adapt them so I can practice in them without them slipping off of my heels.  I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for performance shoes -- although in some instances, barefoot will work -- but considering that it's gonna be a while before anyone but the cats see me dance, I have time to think of something.

Post # 21,600
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 4:52am

I think that one of the dance companies I follow has disbanded. Their entire web presence except for the individual websites of some of the dancers and one dancer's "video publishing" company are gone with some of the company's web addresses redirecting to the dvd company. The rest are "page not found." No one is saying anything in public but I think that "artistic differences" might be the reason. One of my two favorite dancers in the troupe left about 18 months ago and the company's new releases have nothing to do with dance but are on the subject of, are you ready for this, magick 101. Two dvds on basic kitchen witchery. I "think" one of the dancers has changed her name, "got religion" and in the grand tradition of new converts, wants to spread the word. Fortunately, it looks like WorldDance New York has put out just about all the product from them that I'm going to want. There is a dance instructional out now that I want but I'm going to wait a while before I order it. I'm finding the videos from "CheekyGirls Productions" to be more useful. Tomorrow I'll hit the practice floor again, in sock feet if necessary! And it probably will be. It's gonna take a little time and thought to rig up some practice shoes.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:06am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 11:37pm

I've got the prototype practice shoes thrown together. They need work, for one thing I'm having to wear socks with them 'cause the ends of the straps I put on poke my feet, and for another, they leave something to be desired aesthetically.  What's the point of having a gorgeous costume and great choreography beautifully performed if crummy shoes are going to ruin the whole look? Still. These will do for practice of which I need a lot.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:07am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 10:14pm

I am pleased. I've found a big (3 feet by 5 feet) mirror that is reasonably priced (about $75 which includes sales tax) that I can use for my dance/exercise area. I need a mirror since I don't have anyone to check my dance form and tell me if I'm doing it right. NOW all I have to do is figure out how to mount it so I can move it around if I need to -- a distinct possibility -- and because the basement walls are unfinished concrete! I'm thinking something with plywood for the "wall" and some sort of arrangement possibly involving 2 x 4's to keep it upright and stabilize it. Time to put on my thinking cap....
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:08am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:47am

I've made some headway in the "mirror stand design" department. How I end up doing it will depend on how big a sheet of wood I can get in the van! If a 4 ft. by 6 ft. piece will fit, I'll build it one way. If I have to use one 4 ft by 4 ft sheet and a 2 ft by 4 ft. piece I'll have to do it another way. I am, however, on the right track and have at least a rough idea of what I'm going to need in the way of wood.

On another front, I got out the leather practice shoes that I bought in September (that were too tight) and have been wearing them this afternoon. Not dancing in them, just wearing them. I'm hoping that since they are made of relatively thin leather, I can stretch them enough so that I can practice in them. My prototype practice shoes have so far proved unsatisfactory so it is worth my time to try to stretch these.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:09am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 5:47pm

I told Skywise that I needed to see how big a piece of wood I can get in the van and he said we'd check it out tomorrow. Since I have some $$ laid aside for the project, I may be coming home with a load of wood tomorrow!
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:10am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 7:17pm

Vaguely pouty.
No opportunity to get wood today. By the time we got everything else done that we had to do (i.e. get groceries and Spirit's b-day presents) it was raining, HARD. And trying to shoehorn several sheets of wood into the van is enough of a trial under the best of circumstances. In a downpour, it is simply more trouble than it is worth! So that project will have to wait until another day, next weekend maybe...
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:10am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:47pm

I was sorting through all my dance dvds last night.  There are a few that I can get rid of but most of them, I'm happy to say, have useful information/instruction on them. There are a few that are supposed to be for "beginners" that this "beginner" thinks are a bit too hard for the rank amateur -- mainly because that while they promote themselves as instructional dvds, they are really exercise videos with the goal of making you sweat and raise your heart rate. Granted, belly dance CAN work up a sweat but you shouldn't be out of breath when you are just learning! So those dvds will be put aside for a time when I'm not having to think about which bodypart needs to go left, which one right and how I'm supposed to get them there! Introducing "layers" before you have the individual moves down does, I think, introduce an unnecessary level of frustration for the new dancer.

I have a bunch of performance dvds and I'm going to be getting more of the type that showcase more or less "standard" belly dance rather than the more radical forays into "fusion." Now I have nothing against mixing dance forms but I "do" think that when you cannot recognize the "belly dance" in the fusion, then perhaps you shouldn't call it "belly dance" and instead call it what it would have been called forty years ago -- "modern interpretive dance" which would be a more accurate description. Under that heading, when the audience settles in to watch the show, they know that they aren't going to see a program of the various styles "traditional" belly dance but something that may include the belly dance "vocabulary" along with elements from other dance styles.  It's just my opinion and your mileage may vary but if I'm attending a performance or buying a dvd and the advertising says nothing to the contrary, I'll be expecting to see something I recognize as belly dance and maybe even be able to recognize the style.
Okay, I will get off my soap box now. Smiley

Post # 22,300
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:24am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

SooleawaSoyala

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 12:32am

Penthesilea wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:47pm:
I. There are a few that are supposed to be for "beginners" that this "beginner" thinks are a bit too hard for the rank amateur -- mainly because that while they promote themselves as instructional dvds, they are really exercise videos with the goal of making you sweat and raise your heart rate. Granted, belly dance CAN work up a sweat but you shouldn't be out of breath when you are just learning!

Smiley

Post # 22,300

i have a video like that, i think its called belly dance for beginners and its advertised as an excersize video for the beginning dancer, they give you no instruction what so ever, you have to watch and try and follow along. the yoga one was basically all different types of belly rolls in different positions half the time im like i can barely make my stomach do that in a standing positon let alone bent like that O.o
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:39am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:23am

I am POed!
With this bum leg I have right now I don't dare attempt the stairs down to the basement without Skywise's help. Not that getting down to my practice space is necessary! I can't walk without pain so I'm pretty sure that a shimmy is out of the question! Next chance I get, maybe tonight after he gets home from work, I'm going to get Skywise's help getting downstairs and I'm going to haul an armful of my dvds back upstairs. I can't do anything that involves my legs but I "can" stand up without the cane if I'm careful so I'll work on "arms" "upper body isolations" and maybe "undulations" while waiting for this stupid leg of mine to start behaving.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 6:53pm

*pout! snark! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!*
I've resigned myself to NOT getting the wood for my mirror base or the mirror itself until after the first of the year at the earliest!
There is simply too much to get done in the near term for us to make a side trip to the Home Improvement stores. And given how the weather is likely to be during the next three months or so, it could easily be March before I can get started on this project! * More pouting, snarking and growling.......*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 7:05pm

The knee is still a bit grumpy but to console myself for being unable to get my mirror any time soon, I've ordered a dvd (second of 3) that focuses on isolations and combinations. I can manage a short slow speed shimmy but that is about it so until I can convince my knees that operating without pain is a good idea, I'm going to concentrate on the isolations/movements that don't involve my knees very much. I'm hoping that I'll get to the point -- SOON!! -- where I can work on turns and traveling steps as most of them do not require as much action from the knees as shimmies do. I'm not anticipating ever being able to manage a "turbo shimmy" without knee replacement surgery on both knees but I think that short bursts at full or half speed are a realistic goal. And after watching some professionals dance, I can say that some of them, at least, shimmy very little during a performance even during a drum solo. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 10:32pm

I was just up at the Guest House in my old bedroom -- which is now a store room -- and realized something. The full length mirror that is still attached to my closet door would be perfect for my dance "studio" if we can a.) get it off the door where it has hung for over forty years, b.) get it down here and down the stairs without breaking it and c.) have somewhere to hang it.  Using it would save me $$$ that I can use for something else! So Skywise is going to check it out when he's up there next -- and I intend to remind him!  Mom and I had a devil of a time getting it hung because it was heavy for the two of us but I think that Skywise and I can probably handle it.
So all I need now is the wood for the "wall."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 2:50am

I'm going to take myself up to the Guest House tomorrow and measure the mirror so I can make any needed adjustments to my design for the "wall."
THEN, I'm gonna start scheming to get the wood I need....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 2:26am

We were in Home Depot today on another mission so while Skywise was getting what he needed, I checked out the wood. I did NOT find the exact size I need so I'm going to have to go to Plan B. I want to check Menard's too but it looks like I'm going to be making a stand that is 4 feet wide and 6 feet high and I'll have to make the back of the stand where I'll hang the mirror out of a 4 x 2 foot plywood sheet and a 4 x 4 plywood sheet. THAT will require some careful design work. I have an idea or two but it's gonna be one of those things that I'll have to work out when I have the wood. Most of the weight is going to have to be concentrated in the base to stabilize it and I'm gonna be sure it is stable before we attach the mirror. Since I'm probably going to be using B/C plywood (which isn't as "pretty" as A/B) I'm going to be painting it. Can you guess what color?
Smiley
If you said "black" you are correct!
I'm also gonna see what I can do about some silver painted trim for it....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint