Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Dance talk (Read 22329 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Dance talk
Reply #25 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 9:02pm

I have the wood for the mirror stand finally and it's downstairs.  The mirror currently in my old bedroom is 20 inches by 60 inches, not as wide as the one at Home Depot but by using it, I save $60 to $70 which is nothing to turn one's nose up at!  So now that I have the wood, I can get started on construction. I'm going to need to cut the plywood panels down to size which I'm expecting to be the hardest part. I don't want to use the circular saw because a) I've never used it and b) I'm going to be working close to the downstairs computer and I don't want sawdust flying all over it!  So I'm going to have to do it with a hand saw. THAT may take a while.  Once that is done the rest should be "relatively" easy.

I'm probably going to occupy my mind tonight while waiting for Skywise to get home with starting a thread for YouTubes of some of my favorite dancers. I'll wait until the "All the MBs you can use" period kicks in so I can watch them myself before I post them.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2012 at 9:56pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 4:35am

I went downstairs and marked the cutting lines on the plywood. I'll be re-checking my measurements before I even THINK about touching a saw to that wood. I have internalized the construction worker's advice. "Measure twice. Cut once." So I'll re-check and have Skywise check it too, just to be safe. There is NO way in "heck" that I want to have to wrestle another half sheet of plywood into the van and down the stairs!

Edited for typos... *sigh*
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2012 at 2:06am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 2:05am

I've found what I need to store my finished costumes in. I've been thinking about building a chest and even made some headway in designing it but I realized that a chest in our basement would get "stuff" -- as in storage boxes -- stacked on top of it so I decided to go with a free standing wardrobe closet. I finally found one that is as perfect as I'm going to get for under $200.  It's white and if I can't get it in black, I may paint it 'cause "white" will yellow after a while and since I'm going to paint my mirror stand black, I'll like them to match, more or less. I can get it at Home Depot [Happy! Happy!] so I won't have to pay for shipping. Unfortunately, the price listed on HP's website includes shipping and I can't find out how much it is if you pick it up yourself. I've got a set of drawers that "should" fit inside it for storing the small items like shoes, wristbands and head pieces. If I can find one I may get myself a pretty jewelry box for the top shelf. Or I might just buy a wooden box at the craft store and see what I can make....
Anyway, the finished dimensions are 65 inches high, 32 inches wide and 20 inches deep according to the website. We'll see.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2012 at 2:10am by Penthesilea »  

Wardrobe_closet.png ( 246 KB | Downloads )
Wardrobe_closet.png

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 6:03pm

I've been doing a little measuring and the drawers I have might be too big for the closet. DRAT! Oh well, if they are, I'll just get some that aren't too big! Once I have it assembled and set up, I can take some accurate measurements and get exactly what I need. Yes, I'm more than ready to get it AND get to work on the mirror frame!  I'm hoping to do that this week but the way "life" is, I'm not going to say anything definite until I'm actually working on it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:43pm

Having decided to use a wardrobe closet to store my costumes and related "stuff" I have run into the problem of hanging up my skirts. I have a couple of different styles of skirt hangers and neither of them is going to work. For one thing, the width of one skirt is 16 inches and the skirt hangers I have are shorter than that and secondly, the top of the skirt (which is 6 yards of fabric gathered onto 32 inches of elastic) is too bulky for the hanger to accommodate.  I'm going to see what else is out there in the way of hangers (contrary to what they'd have you to believe, Walmart does NOT carry everything!) before I start brainstorming for a solution to this problem....
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:57pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 1:52am

The hanger problem is solved and we've pretty much decided on a wardrobe so now I'm turning my attention to the mirror frame. Having worked relentlessly on my writing projects lately I am now feeling the need for some hands on "manual-type" labor.  I went downstairs and got things ready for tomorrow and had ALL KINDS of small, furry and adorable feline help. "Construction" should be interesting.....
I'm going to have to move a bunch of boxes to make room for the wardrobe since the one we picked is about half again as wide as the one I was looking at but I'll have time since I need to save some $$ to get it. NOT gonna use the plastic unless I have to!

Post 23,932

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:38am

Well, I started cutting the wood down to size today with the hand saw. Skywise came downstairs and saw how much cute furry "help" I had and decided that taking the wood up to the Guest House and using the circular saw to cut it to size was a very good idea. He had time to do the first piece and he'll do the other one and drill the holes for the screws in the 2 x 4s another day out of sight and sound of the kits! Then I will get to assemble it with the kittehs help. Hopefully I will not have to clean wood glue off of them!  I'm hoping that once I get this mirror frame done and the wardrobe installed, I can stop talking about outfitting a home "studio" and get on with talking about dancing!

I broke down and pre-ordered another dvd from Dance World New York. It's a 2 dvd set and is supposed to be both fabulous and for beginners. We'll see. I have no doubt that I'll be able to learn something from it. The question to be answered is: Is is really for beginners? 'Cause I've heard that one before!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 12:37am

I've been downstairs rearranging things and I ran across a LOT of hot pink satin. NOW I'm wondering if I should make a hot pink bra and belt set which would go with the silver gray skirt and veil I plan to make [which I originally intended to use with a black set] and my fevered little brain is off and running again. JUST what I need! Another costume project!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 11:01pm

I finally got everything arranged, moved and generally cleared away so I have enough space to practice which I did this afternoon. I used the "Belly by Sandra Vol. 1 Isolations" dvd by Cheeky Girls Productions since I was pretty sure that the body wasn't up to leaping head first into a total body lesson/workout.
I was right. The dvd is 90 minutes long and I got through about half of it. The knees began to complain strongly at that time so I cooled down and watched the rest of the dvd. I fully expect to be sore as a boil in the morning as the bod let me know how every much "out of condition" I am! In fact, the butt is already starting to ache. [Painkiller in my immediate future!] Having used the dvd I'm even more convinced of the need for a mirror and I know where it is going to have to go. [More rearranging in my future!] I'm hoping to have it assembled and ready to paint by next weekend. The darn thing is going to be heavy so I'm going to need Skywise's help getting it out of the basement and up to the Guest House. If I wasn't reasonably sure that I'll be working on it at night and other odd times, I'd assemble it up there and bring it down here when it was finished. *sigh* I'll see what Skywise thinks about it. I may end up assembling it up there regardless. Right now though, the Queen wants me to crash with her and that sounds like a very good idea! 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:13am

Mother of Gods! Smiley
Aspirin in my bloodsteam not withstanding, everything between the hips (including butt) and the shoulders hurts! Which means that I did it right, I guess. The area between my shoulder blades and the small of my back are especially sore. Once my body gets used to the way a belly dancer needs to hold her body and I get my muscles accustomed (again) to the way they need to move, I won't be so sore.
Then, I'll be moving on to more strenuous and complicated things!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:04pm

Because I am good [No cracks! And STOP LAUGHING! You KNOW who you are!] and know the value of letting muscle groups have a day of rest between workouts, no practice for me today. The body aches, particularly my shoulders (holding the arms in the correct position gets tiring after a while) and my lower back. Proper dance posture requires tucking the tailbone under which "flattens" the curve in the lower back. This is not a bad thing but it takes the muscles a while to get used to the position. I'll be assuming "dance posture" whenever I think about it and not just in practice to get my body accustomed to it.
Anyway, no practice today although there has been aspirin.... 
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2012 at 2:12am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 5:53am

I got part of the mirror frame assembled today. Skywise needs to cut the 4 x 4 sheet of plywood to size so I can finish getting that part together. THEN I get to figure out what I need to do to stabilize it enough so it can withstand Catzilla and Friends a.k.a. SunLord and the kits when they start rockin' and rollin' in my practice area. A fifteen pound tomcat and two five pound kits could really destabilize something like the mirror frame if they managed to crash into it at the same time.
By way of illustration, I have some black "blackout" curtains across the entrance to the practice area (our basement is one big open space with no interior walls so the space is broken up with shelving units) and as I was coming down the stairs one of the kits came tearing up, took a leap and grabbed onto the curtains about four feet off of the floor. I was thinking about adding some Greek key trim to those curtains but I think that if I decide to decorate them, I'll use something that isn't $1.18 a yard and so easily snagged.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 4:01am

The big plywood sheet is up at the Guest House now where it will be cut to size when Skywise can tackle the job. In the meantime, with the plywood finally off of my cutting table/board, I can get to work on some of my backlogged sewing projects -- and a lot of those projects are dance related.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 11:24pm

Work proceeds on the mirror frame. That puppy is gonna be HEAVY when it is done.

I saw some absolutely GORGEOUS metallic gold fabric today. It looked like molten gold and come Friday, I'm getting me some!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:11pm

hehehehe I got 2 yards of that gorgeous fabric today, more than enough for a bra/belt set and accessories. Even better, it is hand washable so I won't have to worry about getting anything I make dry cleaned. Iz happy!

Since we have some cash on hand from the tax refund I'm gonna pitch the idea to Skywise that we get the wardrobe this weekend or next week. We're probably going to have to have it delivered, I really don't think it will fit in the van, and the sooner that it's downstairs and ready for me to put together, the better!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 2:17am

I promised myself that I would order these when the tax refund came in as a small treat to myself and I just did. They are supposed to arrive between the 23rd and April 6th but if they get them in the mail on Monday, they could get here by Thursday. I'll definitely expect them by next Saturday if they hit the mails on Monday.
They're gorgeous. They're silver and they are decorated with Greek key.
NOW I need to learn to play them....

Zill_Closeup_001.jpg ( 41 KB | Downloads )
Zill_Closeup_001.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 1:52am

As noted elsewhere, I got my gorgeous zills yesterday. NOW I need a good dvd tutorial on how to play them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 11:40pm

The large sheet of plywood has been cut (never underestimate a woman with a handsaw who has reached the end of her formidable patience) and the large section has been glued onto the 2 x 4s. Tomorrow I'll go up, tighten the screws down and get started on gluing the 2 x 4s that go on the front on. Toward the end of the week I "should" have the feet on it. Then, the trimming starts -- which should be interesting.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:43am

The front 2 x 4s are on as are the top and bottom pieces. I still have a lot of screws to put in but some of the holes need to be bigger so Skywise is going to drill those out for me. The vanity bench for the makeup table is almost done, Skywise is planning to paint it this weekend. All that will leave is the seat which will be my job since I am "She Who Works with Fabric."
I was in my old bedroom regarding the mirror which is still firmly attached to the closet door when Skywise came in and asked what I was doing. I told him that I was thinking about how to get it off the door. His reply.. "Very carefully."
No kidding.
The next steps are putting the "feet" on it so it is stable when standing and trimming it. Once all that is done, it gets painted and the very last thing, we mount the mirror.
After that, we haul the entire large HEAVY thing down to the house and then we have to get it in the house and down the basement stairs. At which point, I will FINALLY have a mirror in my practice area!  Smiley I'm seriously considering the purchase of a hand truck to help with that first part.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 10:06pm

It took considerable sweat, thought, glue, wire brads, wood rasping, sanding and the suitable application of strong language and supplications to Deity but I have FINALLY gotten that Smiley quarter round in place on the mirror frame! I have some brads to remove and replace and I still need to put in some screws but the bulk of the "building" work on the frame is done. The next thing I'm going to do is build the "legs/stabilizer" for it separately so I can put it on and test it. If it works like I think it will, I'll attach it permanently. If it doesn't it will be back to the drawing board.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 9:01pm

And the legs are on. Not permanently since I want to round off the sharp corners but they are on well enough for me to know that this design is going to work. YAY ME!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 5:42pm

I grouse!

The mirror frame was rocking slightly so when I took the legs off this morning I checked and sure enough, even though they are cut from the same 2 x 6, one leg is slightly wider than the other. Of the alternatives, starting over is the least work so I'll be getting more wood this weekend if not sooner. In the meantime, there are gaps to fill with wood filler, uneven edges to make smooth and a few more screws to put in.

But today, I do laundry......

Post # 24,342

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:16pm

I've been thinking about getting a hand truck to use to get the mirror frame down here from the Guest House and while considering that a while ago, I realized that the way I've designed the legs would probably interfere with the hand truck. Soooo, if I'm going to use that, I need to make the legs removable so I can get the frame down here and then put the legs back on once it is in the basement.
This will require thought.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 3:06am

I managed to get almost everything that I need to finish the mirror frame and the vanity stool. The “big” thing I needed was wood to make the new legs. I got that, got the legs cut and put on this afternoon. And I’ll tell you right now, those Smiley legs are NOT coming off, ever, EVER again! I wanted to do some “design” work on them once I had them fitted but the dang things are too hard to get on! I have them on and the mirror stands without wobbling so they are STAYING on and any fiddling I do with them is gonnna have to happen while they are attached!

I also got some plain pieces of wood that I’m going to put on the sides to hide the seams where I sandwiched the three layers together. The last thing I got for the frame was something I hadn’t expected. I was looking for some sort of “ornament” that I could put at the corners so that I wouldn’t have to try to “turn the corner” with the fancy trim I’m going to put on the front to hide the screws I used to help hold everything in place while the glue dried. What I found was a three and a half inch square with a recessed circle in the center with a five point star inside the circle. (I’ll have to photograph it for you.) I immediately grabbed four of them. Outside the circle is going to be painted satin black, the star is going to be painted gloss black and the background behind the star is going to be metallic silver. It is gonna look SO cool! All I have left to get is the fancy trim that is going to go on the front and I’ll be putting that on last before I start painting the frame. I’m going to paint the inside of the “star squares” before I put them on ‘cause, basically, it will be a LOT easier to get that metallic silver leaf paint where I want it if I’m holding the piece IN my hand! Likewise, getting the stars to look like I want them to will be easier too. I don’t know if I’ll be painting the fancy trim before it goes on or not. Since I haven’t gotten it yet, I can’t make a decision!

I got the padding for the vanity bench seat and the fabric to cover it too. I couldn’t find any patterned fabric that I liked so I went with my “fall back” choice of a bright, blood red canvas fabric. Since the bench is going to be painted satin black. It should look cool. Of course, my taste is a little weird but hey, it’s MY bench! I’m seriously thinking of adding a partial skirt to the table if I can figure out the particulars of fastening it to the tabletop. The kittehs would love it and it would hide the “unglamorous” boxes and bins in the cubbies. I’m also trying to work out a design for a black wooden tissue box that will accommodate my favorite brand of facial tissue (Puffs).  Oh and I got a couple of new bellydance instructional dvds this week. “Combination Nation, Vol. 2” and “Bellydance with Zils.” I have those gorgeous things so I’m gonna have give learning to play them a shot!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:12am

I’m going to cover the vanity bench seat tomorrow as I got it painted with primer today. Hopefully, now that Skywise has the grass cut, he will get the bench itself painted soon and that little project will be done. The mirror frame is proceeding well and if I get really ambitious I could start painting the back of it by the end of the week. The back is finished except for a couple of screws and the pre-paint prep. *fingers crossed* I could have my mirror downstairs by the end of the month.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint