Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Dance talk (Read 22419 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Dance talk
Reply #50 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:09pm

I didn't get any work done on the mirror frame today but I DID discover why my mother burned up so many Chesterfield Kings whenever she was working on an upholstery project! Smiley Who would have believed that covering a simple little vanity seat would require so much thought! I finally got it figured out though with minimal loss of composure! I might need to put a few more tacks in it but I'll decide that tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 6:09pm

I have the fancy trim for the mirror frame and I am DEFINITELY gonna have to pull out the metallic silver leaf paint for it. The label on the bin said "gothic" but "my" first impression is Celtic. It isn't a complicated design -- I'll have to get a good pic of it -- but it will look gorgeous once it's painted in gloss black and metallic silver. It came in three foot sections so my FIRST task is to splice the sections together so the seams don't show. THAT is why I bought extra!
I also got some minor pieces of wood for the makeup table while I was getting the wood I'm going to back the trim with -- you'll understand when you see it -- so I can check THAT off of the Mill List.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 11:16pm

Skywise suggested before he left for work -- yeah, he's covering for someone today but he has Sunday and Monday off -- that instead of splicing the trim boards together I put decorative spacers in between them. After glaring at this beautiful but not easy to match up trim for most of the afternoon, I think the man might be onto something even it if DOES mean another trip to Lowe's! I'll need something smaller than the 3.5 inch squares I'm using for the corners -- something not more than 2 inches I think and not as thick. We're also gonna need more "spray on" primer (brush on primer will fill in all the detail on the trim) and some paint thinner 'cause while the silver metallic leaf paint is gorgeous (I used it to paint some Celtic knotwork on a table) it does NOT wash out with soap and water! Volatiles are needed!
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2012 at 11:22pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:04pm

The first coat of black paint is on the back of the mirror frame and I'll put the second coat on tonight around 6:30 or so. Then, tomorrow, Skywise will help me turn it over so I can start working on the front. I could probably get it turned myself but I DON'T want to scratch, nick or gouge the paint! The end is in sight!

Last night, I discovered that the drawer units that I haven't been able to find in the stores are now available only online. And, of course, they are currently out of stock!  Smiley Or at least they are at the Target store website. I'm gonna be doing some searching and see if I order them from someone else. Having them would make construction of my makeup table a LOT easier....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - May 18th, 2012 at 3:17am

Well, it's almost a month later. The mirror frame is done and downstairs. The pieces for the makeup table have been cut, assembled and in some cases, disassembled, and the wardrobe has been purchased, delivered and the plan for painting it formulated and ready to go as soon as I run some tests on the primer and I have the three most necessary of Dawn Devine's books on belly dance costuming in my library. Smiley So, as soon as I can clear a bit more floor space down there, I will FINALLY be getting back to what I hope will be regular practice. It will take a while to figure out when the best practice time for me is since I'll be fitting it in around Skywise's schedule but I want to practice three or four times a week if I can manage it. My "muscle memory" for dance has developed a lovely case of amnesia so I'm basically starting over and the only way to build muscle memory is practice, practice and more PRACTICE.
My body thought it hated me before.....
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 3:20am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:44pm

In the continuing quest to improve my practice area, Skywise selected a small stereo sound system to connect to the television downstairs. The speakers on the television aren't that good so I'm expecting a real improvement in the sound when I use my dvds.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - May 19th, 2012 at 10:25pm

I've spent the last 3 - 3.5 hours downstairs, wrestling with the makeup table. The table top is level. Smiley
I now know which ideas will work and which won't.
I have some rethinking to do but most of the design will work.
I will now start a course of aspirin so that I will be able to move in the morning. That much plywood is heavy.
Being able to walk would be nice too.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - May 20th, 2012 at 4:28am

I was puttering around with the makeup table when I got the "signal" to quit. A screw that I was giving one last "turn" to broke -- the head split -- and since I'm going to have to remove that screw that is gonna be a problem. Oh well. If I can't get to it tomorrow night, it will be at the top of my list on Monday.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - May 28th, 2012 at 2:31am

Barring something unforeseen, I should be reassembling the makeup table by Friday. If that turns out to be the case, I'll be done with the "messy" part of the building process. So no more drilling, filling and sanding and I can get out the shop vac and do some serious vacuuming down there! Putting the wardrobe together might require a little hole drilling since I intend to reinforce the joints with various metal braces and pilot holes for the screws will be a smart move but the mess generated will be minimal. And "darn it" I'm ready to get dancing again!

I've accumulated enough belly dance music cds and instructional/performance dvds that it is time to start keeping an inventory. Problem is that I know have more cds than the ones stacked next to the computer but I have no idea where they've gotten to! They will turn up, I know, but it aggravates my soul that I can't immediately put my hands on them!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - May 31st, 2012 at 3:13am

I've been doing inventory today and finding out where the gaps are in my resources. I'm pretty well set as far as instructional dvds are concerned. I have multiple "beginner" dvds and "intensives" on areas like turns, drum solos, combinations and zills. There are a couple of intensives that would be nice to have but I can do without them if I have too.
The music library needs filling out though and I've started on that. I want to have a fairly broad selection of "general" belly dance classics with some "area specific" selections. I have some Greek belly dance music already and some samples of other styles. I've ordered some Turkish music and I'll probably get at least a sample of Lebanese music.
It suddenly occurs to me that I had better be looking into dvd and cd storage options before too long. Things are manageable now but could get out of hand quickly if I don't keep on top of it.....
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:32am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 5:36am

I've been bad. I've ordered several cds over the last couple of days and I'm expecting most of them to be hitting my mailbox next week. They should fill in some of the gaps in my music library. I will now be good [no cracks!] and stay away from amazon for a while!

Post # 24, 876
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2012 at 5:38am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #61 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:34am

The makeup table is done -- with table skirt -- and in place. It may need a bit of fine tuning (additional support for the table top) but in all, I'm pleased with it. The wardrobe "should" be put in place tomorrow. I've hit a snag with the doors so they aren't ready to go on yet. I'm working on a "Plan C" if "Plan B" doesn't pan out. Gods forbid that I need a "Plan D!" The cats love the makeup table, by the way. The kits hide behind the skirt and attack from cover and the SunLord likes to lay on the top like it was "Pride Rock." hehehe As soon as I have things reasonably straightened up down there, pictures will be taken and posted.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #62 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 10:16pm

*Drum roll.....*

And...... finally.......... the wardrobe is upright in the basement. Smiley
It is level and rock solid stable. I grabbed the top shelf and tried to get it to move and it wouldn't so I don't think I have to worry about the kits bringing it down.
I have my floor back. Or will once I vacuum the "heck" out of the rugs and reset them since they got kinda "shifted" during this whole ordeal. Much cleaning is in order since I just pulled a half inch screw out of the sole of my shoe. I REALLY don't need to find another when I'm barefoot or wearing my practice shoes!
All that remains now is solving the "door problem."
But that is for tomorrow.
Right now, I need tea and to start dinner, pretty much in that order.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #63 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:52am

I took one of my skirts down and hung it up. The bottom came within about six inches of the bottom. I could wish that the top shelf -- which runs the width of the wardrobe -- wasn't so high (20 inches) so I could hang longer items in it but it will certainly do. I'm gonna put another long shelf in to split that space. I got one of the adjustable shelves put in and I'll get the other one in after dinner. It's stable enough that I can put stuff on top of it without worrying about falling off -- unless the one of the kits gets up there!
I'm not going to leave any of my costume pieces in the wardrobe -- especially my skirts and veils -- until I have garment bags made for everything. The kits are entirely too curious and I'd prefer for my chiffon skirts not to have holes in them from kitteh claws!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #64 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:47am

Couldn't stay upstairs.  Roll Eyes
My Limited Edition of Dark Shadows dvds is now safely stowed in the bottom of the wardrobe alongside the tote bag that holds the hardcopy of the personal grimoire I'm compiling when I'm not writing novels or compiling my personal dance reference file. I've also put the storage box with my accessories (matching mask, cap, wristbands and head band) and a number of bras that will someday -- soon I hope -- be covered with satin along with baubles, bangles, bells, chains and beadwork on the top shelf. The box with my "belly dance specific" patterns is there too although once I have my sewing/craft area cleared out and set up, that box will be there along with all my fabrics, components, trims and other sundries of the seamstress's art. I WILL eventually have that basement excavated and set up to my satisfaction! I still have to figure out the best way to store my dance shoes (when I have some!) and if I can somehow hang my belts or if I'm going to have to store them flat and, if so, how. The veils will be hung with the skirts and in garment bags.
Tomorrow I'll start cleaning the rugs. The SunLord has hurled on them in two different spots and there are, naturally, stains that will need to be scrubbed out. WHY he can't hurl on the concrete is beyond me.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #65 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 9:29pm

Okay, Skywise and I adjourned to the Guest House to consider the problem of the wardrobe doors. Despite the fact that the test came out perfectly, the application of the primer to the doors was an unmitigated disaster. In the course of our investigations, we found out why.
The test piece was from an old unit, close to twenty years old, and the laminate was flexible plastic, about the thickness of 24 pound printer paper, and it took the primer and paint very well. Skywise, He of the Considerably Better Eyesight, went after a corner of a door with an Exacto knife and immediately discovered the problem. The "laminate" is paper backed which makes it impossible to peel off. Alcohol doesn't loosen it either. It looks like the manufacturing process involves applying a thin layer of paper somehow and then spraying on the laminate coating. *snark* 60 Grit sandpaper and elbow grease, however, does get one down to a paintable surface.

So........... *snark!* We will be considering our options. Hand sanding is slow and would probably count as far as exercising biceps, maybe triceps and forearms is concerned. A disk sander attachment for the drill would do the job faster but necessitate lung protection and moving the whole operation outside. Since this stuff has some similarities to wallpaper, we will be looking into wallpaper stripping equipment too.

And if I decide I need more costume storage space, I'm gonna build from scratch next time!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 2:16am

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley I went downstairs to put some stuff away and discovered that the mirror had fallen off the makeup table again. Fortunately, the padding I'd put on the tabletop was still there and the mirror didn't break. I now need to get the absolutely worthless for mounting a mirror but otherwise incredibly sticky tape off of the back of the table because it is obviously inadequate and I need to find another way to hang the mirror. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #67 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:47am

I've figured out a way to hang the mirror which will only involve a trip to Walmart and nowhere else. But I will have to get all that [censored] tape off the back of the makeup table. The residue won't be a problem because I'll put the mirror over it but the tape which is about an eighth of an inch thick has to go.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #68 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:22pm

Got the last four "never to be sufficiently cursed" screws in place on the wardrobe.
Got the "tape" part of that poor excuse for mirror mounting tape off of everything. All that remains is the sticky residue.
The "clear space" in my dance/exercise area is getting bigger. STILL putting things away and/or moving them out. I might have to put up with some "stuff" in there until I can get the next section [sewing and crafts] cleared out.
STILL gonna (re)start practice this week!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 6:14pm

Careful work with masking tape has removed all the sticky residue left behind by that totally inadequate mirror mounting tape. (Let's hear it for Masking Tape!) NOW I have to get the mirror hung which will take a few days.

The mirror is backed by fairly sturdy cardboard which is glued to the frame and I'm going to glue a thin (1/4 inch) backing onto it using wood glue. Once that has dried thoroughly, I'm going to paint it, probably black but maybe silver and once THAT is dry, I'm going to attach it to the table back with screws. I'm going to have to "piece" the backing and there will be screws fastening all three sections to the back. SO for the mirror to fall off AGAIN, it is going to have to pull away from ALL THREE pieces of plywood.

And if it does, I may take up drinking......  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2012 at 6:14pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #70 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:22am

That never to be sufficiently swore at mirror is UP!

I knew that I had another package of mirror mounts like the ones I used on the big mirror but I couldn't find them. Fortunately, before I started cutting wood and gluing things down, I found them. With them in hand, I was able to figure out how to use them to mount the makeup table mirror. Basically, the mirror was too thick for the mounts but by putting pieces of 1/4 thick wood under the mounts and putting the screws through that and into the back of the makeup table, I was able to secure the mirror. That sucker is now held in place by six mounts -- two on top, two on the bottom and one on each side. I need to paint the pieces I put under the mounts -- they show up horribly right now -- but I think I can call the makeup table FINALLY finished. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 6:36pm

I went through and inventoried all my makeup. Mold got to some of it so it is going to have to be replaced. *sigh* Not too much, fortunately, since even the mass market brands at Walmart are NOT exactly cheap for a gal on a budget! Thought I was going to need to get a bigger Caboodles makeup case for my supplies and considered the one pictured below but after I sorted everything, I realized that I didn't have enough to justify the expense. Now if I was going to travel the country and needed to haul supplies for every conceivable "look" I might need, then it would be a different story but as it is, everything can be sorted neatly into four storage boxes that will fit in the cubbies of my makeup table and if I DO need to travel and carry more than essentials, then the Caboodle I already have will hold what I need. The only reason I thought I might need a bigger one is my fondness for eye shadows...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #72 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 4:52pm

A lot of dancers use false eyelashes to enhance their eyes. I've never had much luck with them but, reportedly, the tech has improved in the decades since I last tried them so it may be time for a rematch.....
Something I need to think about.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #73 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:29pm

Well, I finally got to practice!  Smiley

I'm basically starting over. My muscle memory is non-existent and I didn't get through the entire lesson which is over an hour long. I ran out of time and my knees were "complaining" like "heck." The upper body isolations weren't too bad and I got through them without too much difficulty. The lower body ones gave me fits which came as no surprise and I was sensible. When the knees felt and sounded like rusty hinges, I took a seat and watched the instructor instead of pushing through the pain. My practice outfit consists of the harem pants (which REALLY help me keep track of what my hips are doing) and a bra. I have a hip scarf that I'll be wearing for practice although I didn't wear it today. As I knew it would be, the mirror is a big help. I can maintain proper posture and still see what my body is doing. Seeing the totally unacceptable state I've allowed my body to get into is damned unpleasant but it is great motivation to keep working. I haven't gotten the area set aside for weight training cleared out and set up yet but I have almost more motivation than a body can stand to get that done, so it will be at the top of my To Do list along with getting the wardrobe doors sanded. *sigh* Right now though, "kitchen detail" is at the top of my list. WHERE is my Rosie the Robot Maid!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #74 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 9:21pm

I went up and checked out the wardrobe door and I'm not happy. Even with two coats of paint on it, it looks like someone has sprayed it with coarse grain sand. I'm currently debating what to do and I'll be consulting with Skywise after he has a chance to look at it. *sigh* I was going to paint a border on it but the way it looks now, it really isn't worth the effort so I'm looking for another way to spruce it up. Whatever I do, I won't be doing it for a while. The Guest House kitchen is like an oven and we're trying not to run the A/C up there unless we absolutely have to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint