Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Dance talk (Read 22417 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Dance talk
Reply #75 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:20am

Skywise and I have conferred and I'm going to lightly sand the door -- enough to smooth down the bumps -- and put on a third coat of paint. A decision about decoration is on hold. There are words to describe how it looks and my feelings on the matter but I don't use that kind of language......

Post # 25,444
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:31am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #76 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 2:52am

I SO wanted to practice today but I knew, from the way I felt when I went to bed last night, that I need to space out the practice sessions until my body starts getting used to the movements. I'm aiming for three times a week now and every day eventually. There are days when I think I could spend all day working on dancing if my body could take it.

Maybe someday.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 4:31am

It took two evenings of searching but I found a dvd in my library that explains what the Arabic Hip Walk is (3/4 Shimmy "down") and more importantly, how to do it a clear and understandable manner. I got a dvd earlier this week that was supposed to be a shimmy "tutorial" and it was a bit of a disappointment. There are a number of different hip shimmies but the instructor concentrated on one with only brief explanations of a couple of the other more common types. Unfortunately, her favored shimmy is one that really makes my knees hurt, so it is going to be a while before I can benefit from the dvd. *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 7:30pm

I am on a roll!
Since it has FINALLY cooled off enough to work on the wardrobe doors, I got what I needed to install a second full width shelf in it/ As it comes from the manufacturer, the top shelf is 20+ inches deep and 20+ inches high. Since I have no intention of storing a wig stand in there, I decided to install a shelf to split that space which will leave me with two bottom "compartments" that are a bit less than 24 inches wide each and an upper shelf that runs the width of the wardrobe and is 16 inches deep.
I measured twice, cut one and got the shelf cut to size on the first try (the shelf was 48 inches long and needed to be 46.75 inches). Did the same with the support piece that goes in the center. All that is left is to cut the supports that attach to the wardrobe to support  the ends. I get those put in -- which will be the hardest part! -- and then I can finish the assembly. Tomorrow or Monday, I'll get back to work on the doors as the cool weather is supposed to last all week. I might, maybe, hopefully, get the damned thing done by September.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:06am

I got the last bit of "sawing" done that I needed to do today so I've started getting the tools put away. I have a little drilling left to do on the shelf I put in the wardrobe but once that's done, the drill and toolbox will be out of the practice room.  Smiley Then all that will be left is to get the doors finished and put on and I will FINALLY be done with major construction down there! That rug is gonna be SO vacuumed!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:47am

I've been going through my earring collection and picking out what is suitable for dancing. Four pairs are good to go as they are. One pair has "fishhook" findings and those are gonna be replaced and two more pair need findings period since I only have the "dangles." Four pair have red stones, two pair have black stones and one has "diamond" stones. I need something with green stones, something largish, flashy and silver without stones or with "diamond" ones and something using gold since I'm going to have a bra/belt set in gold. I haven't been able to find anything locally in the way of finding so I'm looking at my go to source for such goodies -- Fire Mountain Gems and Beads....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 2:10am

I need highly decorative barrettes to keep my hair where I want it too and I'm only finding a few things I like so I'm going to be making what I need. Sometimes having "unusual" and "particular" taste makes shopping for accessories a pain in the posterior....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 3:03am

I'm hopeless. I wandered through Walmart's jewelry department this afternoon and got two more pairs of earrings.
I'm turning into an earring junkie.....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #83 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 10:50am

Nothing wrong with turning into an earring junkie. I'm one! The longer, the more unusual and the more the earrings jingle, the better I like it. Cheesy

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 3:24pm

LOL I'm going to have to look into jewelry storage. The jewelry boxes I have are too small and the ones I've looked at really don't have enough space to store earrings.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 2:13am

Well, Skywise will be back to work on Monday and I'll be settling into the routine that will last through the winter. It will likely take me a couple of days to get everything cleaned up and put away in my dance studio at which point, pictures will be taken. The wardrobe didn't turn out nearly as well as I had hoped. The inside came out exactly as I envisioned but I could NOT for the life of me get the Smiley thing SQUARE and as a consequence, the doors aren't straight. One is noticeably higher than the other. [Insert copious amounts of extremely "colorful" language!] So, I've already started designing a new, "built from scratch" wardrobe. I picked up a few small things for it yesterday. I was concerned about finding door hinges like I wanted and fortunately found some so I got those, some wooden plaques that I'll use to support the clothes pole and the 2 x 2s that will go on the underside of the bottom of the wardrobe. I'll probably be getting the smaller pieces of wood that I'll need through the winter. I'm still working on the design but it will be 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 6 feet tall. I won't be building it in my dance studio so before serious assembly can begin, I'll need to make room in the basement. Oh well, that should keep me out of trouble when I'm not writing, exercising or dancing....
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2012 at 2:24am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:36pm

I'm listening to drum solos and I've discovered that a shimmy done with my heels in contact with the floor makes my left shin hurt like the very devil. A shimmy done with my heels about an inch or so off the floor does not make my shin hurt although the front of my thighs stage an armed insurrection in very short order. Still, that can be corrected with practice/building up the necessary muscle. I'm not sure what would fix the shin....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 7:31pm

I ordered yet another "belly dance music" cd. [Gathering Season by Solace. Hope to get it Monday or Tuesday.] I'm getting quite a collection of "traditionally styled" music and some that isn't so "traditional." I've yet to develop a "feel" for Arabic music except for the broad category of "drum solos." The pronounced percussion is easy for me to "get." The rest of it, not so much. Somebody needs to bring out a dvd series on the subject of understanding Arabic music. Reading about the different rhythms just doesn't cut it, at least not for me. Hmmmm..... I have the facebook page of the owner/executive producer at Cheeky Girls Productions bookmarked.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 8:01pm

I've just finished the mind-numbing job of reformatting and editing the translations of the lyrics of a few hundred (I haven't counted them) songs from a belly dance website -- copyright notice and url included, of course -- and after fixing the format and editing out some information that I don't need to have at my fingertips, the word document went from 632 pages to 542. Yes, I'm pleased with myself. Yeah, I know. I didn't "need" to do all that work 'cause the info is online. BUT, I've had websites disappear on me for one thing and for another, once I've printed it out all I'll have to do is grab the binder to look something up and that will be a lot faster than going online, going to the site, and navigating through it to find what I want.
I still need to put the page numbers on the index but I can work on that in odd moments.
I'm also working on an alphabetic listing of all the songs I have and what cd they're on. *sigh* Yes, I know. I have them all entered in my iTunes library but "stuff" can happen to electronic media and the restrictions on what you can do with music you've downloaded are pretty strict. For that reason, with only a couple of exceptions, every piece of music I own I also have on a cd released by the original artist. Gods forbid that my iTunes library falls victim to catastrophic computer failure but if it does, I can rebuild it from my cds.

These dance "projects" will keep me busy until the Christmas tree is no longer set up in the middle of my practice floor.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 6:48pm

I promised myself these when I found the site and I bit the bullet just now and ordered them. They're custom made so it will be a while before I get them and since I'm paying for "Air Express" delivery, I suspect that they're made outside of the U.S. They aren't exactly cheap but the way I look at it in the unlikely event that I could even find a suitable shoe in my size with the type of heel I prefer, the cost would be the same or pretty close, even with shipping. 

What I ordered will look like the picture below except I specified a "Cuban heel" which is a low heel (1.6 inches in this case) that is as wide as the heel of the foot. I have enough knee problems without trying to balance, let alone dance, on a spike heel, even a short one! If these work out, (i.e. fit right!) I'm going to order at least 3 more pairs: a pair in metallic silver, a pair in metallic gold and a pair in black and silver.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2013 at 6:49pm by Penthesilea »  

390-2.jpg ( 63 KB | Downloads )
390-2.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:28am

The practice is area is about cleared out and the stepper has arrived so it's time to get to work. I'm hoping to use the stepper to strengthen my legs without killing my knees as well as a regular exercise routine to make dancing easier. And, of course, practicing the dance itself.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 1:22am

I was informed this morning that my dance shoes are finished and are ready to be shipped.... from China. Fortunately, they are being sent USPS International Express Mail and I have a USPS tracking number so I'll be able to keep track of them as they make their way here. So far, they're still in China.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 8:45pm

According to the Postal Service, my dance shoes were processed through the sort facility in Guangzhou, People's Republic of China late last night. I'm assuming that the tracking will be updated at their next stop, probably somewhere on the West Coast. Yeah, I'm anxious to get them. I want to find out if they're going to fit!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:49am

*snark* According to tracking, my shoes are still in China. They are apparently being transported by mule train......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:44pm

YES!!!!!!

My shoes are in Chicago! (O'Hare International according to Skywise.) They were processed through the sorting facility at 10 am and were headed for Customs after that! Provided that no contraband was sneaked into my pumps, I should have them by late next week at the latest.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 7:34pm

According to the tracking, my shoes have cleared Customs. I'm assuming that means that they have been or soon will be back in the clutches of the USPS and on a truck from Chicago to Indianapolis. Yes, "bouncing."  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 2:33am

My shoes still have not popped up on the USPS tracking "radar" so I don't know how close they are to being here... DANGIT!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:50pm

Well, my shoes weren't in the box that arrived on Tuesday and the box I'm tracking NOW is still in China. Whether or not it contains my shoes is another story! I'm hoping that the delay means that they are tracking them down in the mailing department and NOT having to make another pair because the first ones have vanished without a trace......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 9:34pm

Have shoes.
They fit.
And "Song of the Lonely Mountain" (the extended version on the Special Edition of "The Hobbit" soundtrack which was played over the movie's end credits) cries out to be danced to...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #99 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 6:41pm

I'm going to add a pair of red shoes to my "To Get" list but I can't decide which ones.

This pair....

350-5.jpg ( 77 KB | Downloads )
350-5.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint