Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) EXTREME MAKEOVER: Sanctuary Edition (Read 5519 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

EXTREME MAKEOVER: Sanctuary Edition
Sep 6th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
This is where I'm going to be posting news and updates about Sanctuary's upcoming software upgrade. Although the site banners don't reflect it yet, I've already changed Sanctuary's formal name. "Serenity Sanctuary" is now "Samgaran Sanctuary." I was never a real fan of the former name which I didn't pick and had shoved down my throat -- a clear case of my good nature being taken advantage of! -- and from a practical standpoint, "Serenity Sanctuaries" are as common as fleas on a stray dog. A Google search turns them up by the score and this site was getting lost in the shuffle. Since the action in my novels takes place on a planet I've named "Samgara", Samgaran Sanctuary seemed a natural fit so I made it so.
I'm anticipating that our current templates won't work with the upgrade so I'm working on finding suitable 2.5 templates.  I'm hoping that I will be able to transfer some elements of our current templates to new ones but I'll need to learn how to do that first.  I'm putting together my own "YaBB Operations Manual" to keep track of everything.
That's about it for now, I'll be updating this as the work progresses. Skywise and I haven't set a date for the upgrade but it will DEFINITELY be before the end of his vacation which runs from the 11th through the end of September so the deed should be done before the first week of October.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2010 at 5:51pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: EXTREME MAKEOVER: Sanctuary Edition
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Well, I got something else check off of the "Find out before the Upgrade" list so I'm rather pleased about that. I found some interesting files that should assist me with the banner making project if I can "deconstruct" them. I'll work from copies, of course, and NOT originals.
Right now though, I need to "extremely make over" the pile of laundry behind me!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Moonie has been looking over my shoulder while I edit my cut and pastes from the YaBB forum. Since highlighting and other "special" details aren't translating to my word documents, I'm having to add them manually. She doesn't think much of HTML. It told her that it was easy compared to what I studied right out of high school. *giggle* She said that if HTML was "easy" she didn't want to see "hard!"

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Skywise and I conferred last night after I went poking around in the stuff I'd downloaded along with the upgrade. Everything that I attempted to open was a "download" so I didn't open anything since I didn't know how much of our download allowance it would eat! So, snooping around in the instructions will have to wait until after 2am some night soon when I can download everything and then cut and paste it into word docs for later study. We're operating under the assumption that even with the Upgrade in a zip file, we still could have a serious amount to download so we're going to be doing the deed after 2 am when we do it.
In the next couple of days I'm going to log in at the YaBB forums, explain the situation here and ask for any advice, tips or warnings that anyone might have. 2.5 has been out since July so there has been some time to find the bugs but I don't know if anyone has had to upgrade to 2.5 from 2.2 like we are. I'll breathe easier when the upgrade is done. THEN I can find out what we have and what, besides new banners, I need to do or get.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I transferred the information I've gathered from the YaBB forums onto a dedicated flash drive and printed out everything that goes into the Manual so I can study it without having to be in front of the computer so that little chore is done. Now I'll sort it and get it into the binder. I'll be working on my query to the forum today and, fingers crossed, I'll get it posted tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll get some good feedback so we can get the upgrade done fairly early on in the vacation. I'm anxious to see what the new version has and to get started on the customizing that will need to be done. Nike and I were throwing around color combinations for upgraded templates and we've settled on one in light colors as I've already fallen in love with a "dark" template that I'm probably going to customize into three slightly different color schemes. And I just may increase the overall font size on all of the templates we use once I find the right spot in the code. There are a LOT of people out there with poor eyesight and the slightly bigger font size will help a lot with eyestrain. I also want to know what font styles are going to be available on 2.5 'cause I'm thinking of adding a little variety to the standard selection but I want to see what we're getting first.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I got some more info off of YaBB this morning. It looks like instead of a simple upgrade, we're going to have to set up a new 2.5 forum for Sanctuary and then transfer everything from here to there. Smiley With enough backups made to choke a T-Rex, I'm thinking! We're going to need to query the YaBB folks directly about some things that we're not clear on yet. We both need to go over the installation instructions I downloaded and copied this afternoon and see how much sense we can make of them. Sanctuary will have to be "down for maintenance" while this is going on but I'll send out a general alert when once we've decided when we're going to do the work.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 2:15am
Print Post  
I've been going over the "Quick Start" instructions. 33 pages of them. If that's "quick" I wouldn't want to see the "long" form! Anyway, I understand -- broadly -- what we'll need to do.  I'm hoping that the technical jargon will make more sense to Skywise since he's the "admin" of our home system and handles the downloads and installations. If it doesn't, it will be "research time" in spades and at speed.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I'm still going over the Quick Start instructions and translating the "geekspeak," which isn't TOO bad actually, into something I understand.  I'm making progress. I'm getting to the point where I think I'll be able to sort out what we won't need for the upgrade from what we will.

Major "stuff" should be up and running as soon as we take Sanctuary out of maintenance mode. I'm not sure about the current templates though. I've got some 2.4 templates ready to install as soon as we're up and running but the 2.2 ones will probably need "retrofitting" but I don't know how much. Since we are having to set up a new 2.5 forum and transfer everything (thank the Gods for FTP!) into it in order to bring Sanctuary up to standard, I'm thinking it will be a lot. We "might" have to ditch them and do them over completely. I'll just have to see.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I stayed up until two am this morning making sure that I had downloaded the right version of 2.5 for the Makeover. I then went through the Quick Start on that and it looks like I'm going to need to compile a third set of Quick Start instructions since, at the moment, it looks like the instructions for what we need to do are split between the Full version and the Upgrade version of the separate installation instructions.  Smiley Soooo.... once I have both sets of instructions printed out for easy reference, I'm gonna be making a third "customized" set combining the relevant parts of the two originals so that once we start, we won't have to be jumping back and forth between the two sets looking for what we need to do next! We'll have the originals at hand for reference, of course, if we need to check them but flipping back and forth through pages and pages looking for what needs to be done next is NOT, in my opinion, the best and most efficient way to do things! Therefore, more processing of words in my future!
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010 at 5:16pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
We didn't have a FTP program, which we need for the makeover, so I've been looking and I've picked one. It isn't free but it's reasonable and I'll download it either tonight or tomorrow so "Get FTP program" can be marked off the "Makeover To Do" check list.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Time ran short tonight so I'll get the FTP tomorrow. I'm making headway with the final set of instructions and the To Do list. I have an idea I want to try and I will once the FTP is installed. In the meantime, I'm gonna be going over the instructions to make sure that I haven't omitted something important. I would be in BIG trouble if we were halfway through the installation/transfer and had to stop because I left something out!
However, for the moment, I think I'm going to take a break from staring at word documents and spend a little time coming up with color combinations for templates.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I just purchased and downloaded the FTP software for the upgrade. Being just a tad paranoid, I also purchased the software on a cd, just in case.
We've hit a snag however. It seems that I need a password which for some reason, I don't have. I'm attempting to track down the person who DOES have it now.
No luck so far.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
This is Castle Control: Fetch is loaded and ready to go.
NOT going yet but ready! So that's one more thing to check off the "To Do List."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:23pm:
I just purchased and downloaded the FTP software for the upgrade. Being just a tad paranoid, I also purchased the software on a cd, just in case.
We've hit a snag however. It seems that I need a password which for some reason, I don't have. I'm attempting to track down the person who DOES have it now.
No luck so far.

This is Castle Control: I have the password. NOW the sweating really begins!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I've been going over the set up/transfer instructions, making notes and stopping to look things up. Right now, I'm puzzling over something called DIR Paths. I "think" I know what they are supposed to do. NOW all I have to do is figure out how they are constructed and why. I've got the relevant YaBB Codex page made into a word document so it's easier for me to read. Damned tiny print... "Puzzling out" will continue through the night...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
..My brain hurts...
Ah well, I figured out Fortran, Cobal, Basic and RPG. I'll figure this out too....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 1:14am
Print Post  
I have very carefully made a copy of Sanctuary's path settings directory. I "think" I've figured out the "pattern" to path settings. Studying the ones we have in place should help my understanding.  If I'm writing path settings in the after midnight hours, I want to have already figured it out! After 2 or 3 in the morning is NO time to be trying to figure such stuff out!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
We have a tentative date for the Makeover. It will start late next Wednesday evening (9/22) and continue into Thursday morning (9/23). Since none of the psychics of my acquaintance have their or my guides screaming "NO! DON'T DO IT THEN!!" in their ears, I'm assuming that that date is an auspicious one for this project.
Earlier this evening I discovered that something I thought I was going to have to do "at the time" of the Makeover, I can do as soon as I get the info I need from HostMonster. As soon as I'm sure that I know everything that I need to find out from them, I'll start the "inquiry" process.
The clock is ticking.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
I downloaded the Fetch manual in a PDF last night so I'll be looking at that today as well as making up my final list of things I need to find out from HostMonster. I'll send it off as soon as it's finalized and once I have the information, I'll start doing what I can in preparation for the Makeover.
I'm also starting a short list of things to do after the Makeover is done. A new forum has been suggested and it's probably a good idea given where I seem to be heading personally and some areas are going to be home to some additional topics. Getting new banners and templates are at the top of the list though.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I think I have something else figured out. Or at least, I know where I'll be doing it during the Makeover. I'm hoping that it is as simple as the YaBB people make it sound!
We're going to have an early dinner at Chuck E. Cheese tonight so I'm going to take the instructions along and go over them while I'm waiting for the pizza. I don't think reading "Sex at Dawn" at CEC is a good idea!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I just reordered the boards to make the order a bit more intuitive. At least it is to me. It's a minor cosmetic change I can make before the makeover. I'm thinking of expanding The Samgaran Oracle to include the psychic arts as well as "traditional" divination. Smiley I'm wishing I could take the Fetch manual with me to study while we drive to the honey farm but the darn thing is 401 pages and at the moment, I really only need to study a few things. I guess it will have to wait until we get home.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2010 at 8:54pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I'm making a very detailed checklist for the Makeover and adding things to my "find out from HostMonster" list as I go. I'm currently going to the mat with the FTP known as Fetch and I'm having some success in wresting its secrets from it.
Simply put. It is making sense and I've only read it once so far.
This makes me suspicious...  Smiley
On the other hand, Fetch 5.6 was written to be completely compatible with the last three Mac OS X upgrades so that might have something to do with it.
Macs are SOOOOO cool...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 3:01am
Print Post  
I've been working on the checklist since my last post. I've quit for the night since I'm pretty brain-fried. When I have it done, Skywise is going to go over it all and see how I've done. Smiley
I'll be glad when this is done and I can get to the "fun part."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I got my answers from HostMonster's this morning so unless I find myself really stuck, we are good to go with the Makeover on Wednesday night. Between now and then, I'm going to be buried in HostMonster's tutorials getting up to speed on things that weren't explained in the email but are apparently explained in the tutorials. So that's where I'll be every free moment between now and then!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I'm taking a break from studying since I'm going to be starting dinner soon. I'm going to need to send HostMonster another note since I can't find a piece of info they say I should have so I'll just get it from them.
Other than that, things are going well. I have a tutorial I have to watch so I'll probably be downstairs at some point tonight or tomorrow morning watching it since I "don't" really want to stay up until 2 am unless I absolutely have too!  I'll have to stay up that late on Tuesday probably to make the "pre-Extreme Makeover" site backup and I don't want to make it two nights in a row!
Smiley I'd better get into the kitchen and see what needs to be done before I start dinner.
Later.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint