Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) For Tweety Bird... (Read 5680 times)
Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

For Tweety Bird...
Feb 24th, 2011 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
This thread is all about a very special cat that was a part of my life for a very long time.

Birdie, as we called her, may have crossed the Rainbow Bridge last June, but she touched so many lives and I know so many people out there really enjoyed reading about her silly antics and the different things she did over the course of her life.

This thread is dedicated in loving memory to the most special and wonderful friend and companion I could have ever asked the gods for.

Birdie's adoption:

May, 1990. I was 3 months away from my 16th birthday. We had lost a cat named Winky a couple of weeks before this, he had passed unexpectedly and both my younger sister and I were almost inconsolable, we missed him horribly.

My mother always listened to the local radio station during the weekends back then... I happened to be out in the kitchen getting some water when I heard the classified ads being announced.

There was a place up in Pinehurst that had kittens to adopt. One was a tortoiseshell, which was the kind of markings I believed that Winky had at the time. (He was actually a "classic tabby" but I didn't realize that until years later)

I quickly grabbed a pen and paper and wrote down the phone number for the kittens.... When Mom came out into the kitchen, I told her about it and asked her if we could go look at them.

Now my mother knows just what kind of animal lovers her daughters are... Both my sister and I would bring home any stray cat that we found around the neighborhood and want to keep them. At that time, we already had 5 or six cats and my uncle had one. She knew if she said yes, we'd probably bring at least one home, if not more than that. She said we could talk to Daddy about it and let it go.

Daddy wasn't big on getting another cat at the time, but with pleading from my sister (who was only 9 then) and me, he relented and said we'd go looking.

I remember the day we adopted Birdie so clearly... My parents, brother, sister and I all climbed into Daddy's van and drove the 20 plus miles to Pinehurst.

When we got there, the lady who owned the place took us out to her large barn, where the kittens were. There were four or five of them I think... One was a gray and black tabby shorthair, another one was white. But there was this little lanky one with odd markings and red in her fur. Her huge gray eyes stared up at Daddy as he went to pick her up and she hissed at him.

We had talked about getting the tabby kitten, because it was the calmest and tamest of all of them.

But we were all drawn to that little kitten with the unusual markings and red in her coat. After debating it for a while, we decided that the unusually marked kitten would be coming home with us.

My sister held her on the way home, the kitten was wrapped in an old sweater of mine. Her huge gray eyes stared up at me and she growled every now and then. *giggling*

During the drive, we all started discussing what to name her. My brother, who 2 years older than I am and who was a bit of an oddball back then, wanted to give this new kitten a really unusual name, he didn't think "Baby" was good enough for her. He suggested Luigi... That was nixed by the rest of us right away, my sister screaming it was "a boy's name!!" and me yelling it was awful!! The argument over what to name this new family member went on and on... I finally got fed up and suggested "Bugs" because I really liked Loony Tunes as a child.

Mom suddenly yelled "TWEETY!!" and after a few seconds of silence, we all agreed. Even my brother agreed that it was an unusual name for a cat, which shocked the rest of us!!

After we got home, my sister let the kitten loose in the house. I can still see Tweety creeping around the kitchen very slowly and getting hissed at by the other cats... The old tabby, Tygress, was VERY upset and even took a swipe at my feet as I tried to calm her down.

Eventually Tweety hid under the one living room chair and didn't come out until we put food beside it. Then she went back under the chair and stayed there until bedtime.

Mom put her in a box with food, milk, water, some litter and a soft blanket, then put a portable screen over it with a weight on it to hold it in place and keep Tweety inside. The box was set in the living room, which was right across the hall from my own bedroom at our old house.

I was almost asleep when I heard something...  It was almost like a baby crying, but we didn't have a baby living in the house at the time. I heard it again and realized that it wasn't a baby, it was a kitten crying.

I went out into the living room and sure enough, the newest member of the family was yowling very loudly. I sat down by her box, talking to her for a while and crying.

Mom heard me and came out. She sat down beside me and reminded me that all of the other kittens we had were scared the first few days they lived with us and that Tweety was probably missing her siblings and mother. We sat with Tweety for a bit, then went to bed.

The next morning, Daddy let her out of the box. She basically hid under the one chair in the living room for about a week after we brought her home. The only time she came out was to use the litter box or eat. Anyone who dared to sit on that chair had their feet attacked by two little paws.

One day, my sister was showing me something with a baton she got as a souvenir from Ice Capades. It had long streamers on each end of it that flew around each time Sissy moved it. I was sitting on the chair that Tweety was hiding under.

Sissy messed up on a move and asked me to show her how to do it properly. I took the baton and suddenly felt something tug on one end of it. I lifted it up slightly and then I saw Tweety JUMP up after the streamers!!! Sissy and I just looked at each other and grinned...

I started moving the baton back and forth, letting the streamers drag along the floor. Tweety chased it happily, her lanky kitten legs a blur as she dove and jumped after it!!! The instant I stopped, she turned and zoomed back under the chair, growling.

It became a routine for Sissy or I to see if we could get Tweety to play. She fell for it almost every single time, running after the baton's streamers and zooming under the chair again after we stopped.

Slowly, she started staying out even after we stopped playing with her. She would sit and stare at me for a few minutes, but the instant I went to hold my hand out to her, she ran and hid. But over time, she started following me around the house when I was home and even let me pet her a few times. The first time she allowed me to hold her and she purred, it was shocking. I never expected her to do that then, I was expecting it later than it happened.

By this time, my dad had started calling her "Birdie" and the nickname stuck. We called her that right up until the day she passed. She did have plenty of other nicknames over the years (many given to her by a man I started dating a year later and eventually married) but that one stuck with her the rest of her life.

Two weeks after we adopted Birdie, a friend of mine from school called me to let me know they had a kitten for us to adopt. Since we already had Birdie by this time, Daddy didn't want another kitten.

I won't repeat what my friend's stepfather said here, it's too nasty to repeat. It did make Daddy pack us all in the van and head to my friend's place.

This new kitten was what we call a cream and blue calico... She was fluffy, mostly white but had patches of gray and beige all over her head and her back. Daddy said we'd take her and we had two kittens to watch rip the house apart instead of only one.

The newest kitten was christened Pookie, after Garfield's teddy bear. She was very friendly, loved to cuddle and purred as I held her on my lap during the journey home.

When we got home, Birdie took one look at her new housemate and started growling. Pookie just ignored her and fell asleep on my lap which ticked Birdie off even more... I was Birdie's territory by that time after all!!

The two of them avoided each other as much as possible over the next few weeks, but slowly started playing together and just wreaking havoc around the house, much to my mother's dismay... She lost a LOT of plants and had the living room drapes knocked down more than a few times when those two were kittens!!  Smiley

Unfortunately, digital cameras were not very common back in the early 1990s... And I don't have any pictures of Birdie or Pookie scanned onto a disc yet, else I would post some. I do plan on getting that done as soon as my mother can find those photo albums for me to borrow and scan though!!

I do have some pictures from when Birdie was an adult. Enjoy!!

"Oh, HAI Mom!!" (She's 19 here):

"I'z gonna dive bomb you the instant you turn your back!!":

This is one of the few old pictures of her I have scanned and on disc, this one was taken at my mother's former residence back in 1999:

I'll post more stories about her on another day, when I'm not crying so hard. Sad

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: For Tweety Bird...
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Smiley You were right, hon. I need tissues 'cause I'm crying too...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Smiley She was a very special cat and I know how you and Moonie loved to read about her antics... 

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
*sets down a can of tuna fish in remembrance*

Birdie loved tuna fish, she also loved chicken. I still can't roast a chicken breast or open a can of tuna without thinking of her.

In fact, Birdie loved to eat, a LOT... Her favorites (beside tuna and chicken) included Polish sausage, home smoked bacon, roast beef, KFC chicken, and baloney.

Besides being a very loving but sassy little thing, she was pretty active right up until about a month before she passed. I'd be out in the kitchen or watching TV and I'd hear her yowling and chirping... I would go to where I heard her and she'd be chasing her tail or just acting silly, even at the age of 19 years old... Which earned her the role of being one of the most silly and famous cats in a lot of my forums, along with the title of "Opera Diva Kitteh"...

When I moved the computer into a cubby hole across from the stairs here, that's when she started dive bombing me... She was about 18 1/2 years old at that time... And this earned her the title of the dive bombing cat in places like Mystic Wicks and Passion Breeds Followers.

I remember posting in PBF's daily thread about how Birdie was yowling and acting goofy one day, calling her a "Crazy Purr-Bag" and my friend rulz (screenname) just about spit her coffee all over her computer because she was laughing so hard!!!  Smiley

I do have a couple of videos of Birdie acting silly put up on my main Facebook page, anyone who is on my friends list there can access them and see just how active she was at the age of 19 years old... The videos were done back in 2009. (Penth, if Moonie would like to see them, feel free to take her in there via your own profile.)

I've been thinking about Birdie a lot the last few days... March was her birth month, in fact, she would have been 21 years old this coming March 28th if she was still around. Sad It's going to be a VERY rough day for me that day, it will be the first time she won't be here for her birthday since I was 16 years old. Sad

*SIGHS*

But I'm trying to focus on how much joy she gave me, the love and the bond the two of us shared and how lucky I was to have her in my life.

I was VERY lucky to be her "pet"... She was a very special little cat and I will always love her and miss her.  Cry

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
*sets down a can of Birdie's favorite cat food*

Hard to believe nine months have gone by since her last day... It feels like we just lost her yesterday.

I'm feeling rather sad right now... Having Ambers, Angel and Noelle here does help by I really can't think of them as "our" cats, they were always "Nanny's" in my mind. I really haven't connected or bonded with them like I did with Birdie, probably because I hadn't lived with them their whole lives like I did with Birdie.

It's going to be one of those sad days for me I guess. Cry

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
One year... 12 months... 52 weeks... 365 days...

Hard to believe that much time has gone by already. It seems like we lost her only yesterday.

I was thinking about her last night, knowing what today would bring... Lots of memories... Some was of the silly stuff she did, others was flashbacks to that awful day a year ago. I can still see her wrapped in the towel in the vet's office, and I can still smell her fur, hear her purring in her final minutes.

I've been crying on and off... Having just lost Angel only a few days ago kind of makes the pain of losing Birdie even stronger today.

Amber and Noelle have been very lovey and sticking close to me today... I think they know what day it is and are doing their best to comfort me. Even Sargent, the dog, is sticking close. They all know I'm upset and keep making sure I'm alright.

I will be okay... I just have to make it through the day, that's all.

Miss you Baby Cat... I do hope Daddy is taking good care of you across the Rainbow Bridge and you and Angel Puss are not fighting over Nanny's lap too much!!

I'm going to go cry now. Cry

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
*Hugs VE hard.* I know how it hurts. I really do.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
*Hugs Penth back* I know you do... Thanks.

IP Logged

Chaos Hawk

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 12:35am
Print Post  
(((hugs)))

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Thanks CH. HUGS.

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 1:41am
Print Post  
You have my condolences as I had lost my cats over the years. Cry

Cleaning house with the Dustbuster2!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Thanks Moonie. *sad smile* She was one very special fur baby.

I do have two kitties residing here now, Noelle and Amber... Birdie didn't like either of them. Talk about fur flying whenever they crossed her path... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Veridian Etoile wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:06am:
Thanks Moonie. *sad smile* She was one very special fur baby.

I do have two kitties residing here now, Noelle and Amber... Birdie didn't like either of them. Talk about fur flying whenever they crossed her path... Roll Eyes

I know what you mean!  Smiley

At least the SunLord and the Midnight Prince got along the first time they met! Smiley

Cleaning house with the Dustbuster2!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I've heard about the Boy's antics... LOL The Prince is quite the little monkey of what I hear!! Gotta love cats though... Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
*sets down a container of cat treats*

For my old friend whom I called "Yeti"... He had six toes on every foot, hence the nickname.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #15 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I had a visit from her this morning... I was sleeping, thinking I had only two cats on the bed with me and a third one appeared.

At first the third cat looked like Sammie-Jo, who was a silver and black classic tabby who lived with us while I was in my late teens, early 20s... She was a fluffy little thing who was smaller than Noelle is, friendly and a lot like Amber is in personality (very loving). When I went to pet who I thought was Sammie-Jo, the cat's fur was shorter and it had a LOT of red in it... It was really Birdie in disguise!

In the dream/visit, I got up out of bed, came downstairs and got out something she loved.. Chicken. She went nuts and purred like crazy. Hubby came in the door in the dream and she greeted him too. I had even held her for a few minutes, she felt like she weighed about 10 pounds or so, which is about what she weighed when we moved back here in early 2003. Noelle and Amber were there too but they were not jealous, I guess they both realized she was special to me and didn't seem to mind it so much.

After getting a lot of cuddles from her, I put her down and... Son woke me up. Needless to say I looked up at the head of the bed where I had seen her in the dream but she wasn't there... *SIGHS* It made me sad when it sank in she was still gone and won't be back in that body... But she may come back to me in another one, as another cat I'll adopt along the way. I have to keep faith after all.

Noelle and Amber are sticking close to me again this morning... I think they know what happened and are doing their best to comfort me, bless their hearts.

Like our Penth says, "Bast provides" and yes, Bast DOES provide. Noelle and Amber being here are a balm to my pain and they are the best cats Bast could have put in my life right now, she knows I need them more than anything, especially on the days when I'm missing Birdie so much I can't breathe. Today is one of those days.

I have to get these two some catnip, just to show them how much I care and to thank them for being here when I need them the most.

*sighs*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Smiley VE. Cry

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Dec 30th, 2011 at 6:11pm:
Smiley VE. Cry

Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #18 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Two years ago today, I lost the most precious cat and friend anyone could ask for... I still miss her dearly and wish she was still with us today.

I miss you Birdie, my dive bombing opera diva... My baby cat. Cry

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
*sets down a laser pointer*

For my sister's dog, Prince Shepherd, aka Princie, Birdie's punching bag. Cry

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Smiley They are together now.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Smiley Yeah, they are. Cry

He was so handsome and one big sweetheart. He would run me over then lean into my legs when he saw me... And he loved my Son a lot too. He was a wonderful "kids" dog.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
And a beautiful boy too.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
He was... Before we adopted Sargent, Sissy would bring him along when she visited us and he was NOT happy until after Birdie beat the stuffing out of him. He'd go over to her with his tail wagging, she'd whip around and clock him a few times with soft (no claws) paws and then he'd finally lay down for a nap not far from her.

He knew that pooping anywhere but behind the forsythia bushes here would result in NO laser pointer for him and a very firm scolding.

He loved to chase the laser pointer... He'd try to eat the red dot. He knew Hubby and I each had one and would drive us NUTS by sticking his nose in our pockets as if to say "Well, dig it out and let's have some fun already!"

He was a very protective dog but a happy one nonetheless. He's really going to be missed. Cry

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 9:29am
Print Post  
She would have been 23 years old today.. Hard to believe. *SIGH*

100_1342.JPG ( 79 KB | Downloads )
100_1342.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint