Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) So, got any yarn crafters in here? (Read 4492 times)
Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

So, got any yarn crafters in here?
May 19th, 2011 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Yeah, I haven't been here in FOREVER.

Still, I figure I can't possibly be the only fiber fanatic here! So let's talk about what you are working on, what you are stuck on, or what you want to learn next in fiber crafts!

I have lots of stuff on the needles right now, from a sweater I started like 2 yrs ago to the arm warmers I started a few days ago. I have learned I like faire isle stranded colorwork, but I'm hopeless at intarsia.

I also like shadow knitting. Mostly I do washcloths with that, but I have done 2 color shadow knitting in a scarf and plan to do more.

So, what are you working on?

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Re: So, got any yarn crafters in here?
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2011 at 7:21am
Print Post  
I knit and crochet.  Though I've only really gotten decent at knitting in the past year, I've been crocheting since I was small.  I'm not brilliant at either but I do ok Smiley

I was crocheting an afghan (Lacey Chevron) for my Grandma but she passed away before I completed it so I've put that to the side for a little while.  I'm currently finishing up a baby blanket.  Shell stitch, making an open shell edging. I want to get that out before the baby is a toddler! chuckles!

With knitting, I can manage basic slippers, hats and scarves.  I've been trying to knit socks and mittens but I am having a really hard time getting the turns right for heels or thumbs.

I also do loom knitting, so far it's been hats or long tubes = stress relief!

As far as yarns go I prefer soft and light. I generally work with cottons or acrylics as I'm allergic to wool.   Unfortunately yarn has gotten quite exspensive.  I used to make afghans and things because it not only was it nicer but an inexpensive way to keep my family warm.. now it's luxury.

What I woulld like to learn is tatting.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2011 at 7:23am by Ravens Tears »  

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2011 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I'd love to learn tatting too!

Yarn has gotten really expensive! I scour sales, coupons, and ebay. There are a couple of vendors there who carry nise yarns at good prices, even with shipping. And of course there's Knitpicks! www.knitpicks.com

They just came out with a new cotton worsted weight yarn called "Dishie". It goes for $3.99/100g ball---which is cheaper than peaches and cream, sugar and cream, or berroco handicrafter! Of course, you want to make a $50 order to eliminate the shipping charges, but that just means planning ahead a little.

You know, it is possible that you aren't actually allergic to wool itself, just to the dyes and sizing used in processing commercial wool yarns. But whatever makes you happy is totally cool with me!

If you haven't yet heard of it, one of the very best resources on the web for fiber crafts is a site called Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/

It's a huge site with tons of tools specific to fiber crafting. There is a forum there for literally every interest, and if somehow they missed your interests, you can make a forum on the site just for that interest!

Wow, do I babble, or what? Anyway, I am currently working on two projects, one in worsted weight alpaca yarn, and the other in lace weight Paton's lace yarn. I'm making the Shetlander arm warmers in the alpaca, which is a stranded colorwork pattern, and Anisette in the lace, which is a lace stole pattern. Both are listed on Ravelry, and both are free patterns.

I wish I were better in crochet. There's a solid ton of cute patterns I want to make, but I still cannot read my stitches well enough to not get lost. I've done granny squares, potholders, rugs, and a bracelet in #8 pearl cotton, but there are some really cool tea cozies I want to make too. And some adorable animals and a sweater.

I'm also eager to get into dyeing! I've done a couple of colors of koolaid on wool, but I have a kit to dye with indigo on order! I'm really excited about that one, as it will do up to 5lbs of fiber, yarn, or fabric! And it works on both plant and animal fibers!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2011 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Yes dear BR, you babble! But it is great to have you back. Smiley

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2011 at 2:27am
Print Post  
*grins*

Well, ya knew I'd be back sometime! Wink

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2011 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Yeah, "all roads lead to Sanctuary." Once this place gets in your blood, it stays there and pulls you back, sooner or later.

Post # 18,400
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

sleepycat
Global Moderator

Lord and Most High Master
of Mischief and Mayhem

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2011 at 4:05am
Print Post  
*kitteh's ears perk up*
Yarn????
hmm...

Sanctuary's Graphics God and Official Watch Kitteh.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2011 at 4:20am
Print Post  
QUICK, HIDE THE YARN!!

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 4:03am
Print Post  
**tosses a small ball of yarn teasingly past sleepycat's nose**  Enjoy Smiley

I haven't really made anything in the past while.  I've mainly been practicing with the double ended needles.  I picked up as many wood ones as I could, I'm finding it's much easier when the needles can't slip right out of the stitches!  Been keeping a look out for decent deals n thread.  I checked out Ravelry Black_Rose.  Excellent site!

I don't quite know what to make next.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 3:34am
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Creative Creations [move by] Penthesilea.

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I have decided that Ravelry is a dangerous place... I have gotten lost there for hours!  Since the last time I was in I've made a couple new hats on the looms.  I've sucessfully made spiral socks but haven't managed to make a pair of regular socks yet.  Still practicing and I am finally getting the hang of making a heel.  Smiley  Have made a few bowtie scarves as well. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
My thing is crochet. I could never get the hang of knitting. When I take the hook in hand, I'm usually making a "throw" of some sort or a baby/toddler blanket.  Occasionally, I'll get out the baby/fingering/sock yarn and my really small hooks and run off something in 1:6 scale for my dolls. Can't have cold dolls after all!

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Crochet was my main thing for years up until now.  I love making little things!  Do you use patterns or play it by ear?  I love making toys and bags with crochet too.  Unfortunately my crochet socks are too bulky to be comfortable Sad  So I decided it was time I made myself do it.  Partly because Grandma gave me a lot of her knitting needles, but also because I can never find what I want in a store.   Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
With the doll things, I usually play it by ear. If I'm making a throw or an afghan, I'll normally use a pattern. Since I only work on it when "the Spirit moves me" I use the basic stitches -- single, double and half double -- for my projects. Maybe someday I'll get sufficiently determined to work with thread and some of the more complex stitches and patterns.

IP Logged

SooleawaSoyala

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
i crochet, i tried to learn knitting when i was oh i wanna say around 10-13 and i think i was just to young to get it or something cuz it never clicked. But ive known how to crochet since i was 11, a boy showed me how to finger crochet on the playground at school then when i got good at that i borrowed my moms hook and started my first infinity chain, wonder what happened to that baby it was like 30 ft long XD anyways after that my mom finally showed me how to start a second row.

Pretty sure i dont do what she showed me though, because i know what i do is called double stitch/a lay over stitch and im pretty sure she does single cuz she doesnt get the distinct rows that i do.

i cant read patterns though, to the bain of my creative wishings but im pretty good at looking at a pic and figuring out how make what i want one way or another. unless its in the round, havent quiet mastered that yet but im working on it, actually ill be trying my first hat using a puff stitch in the round when i get home for the winter break.

lets see ive made oodles of scarves, coffee cup cozies >w<, im working on a blanket, ive made a backbapck complete with straps, and a couple of messenger bags

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I have nerve damage in my hands from having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, meaning NO dexterity and I have NO patience for knitting, etc...

Need I say more??? Tongue

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Veridian Etoile wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:02pm:
I have nerve damage in my hands from having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, meaning NO dexterity and I have NO patience for knitting, etc...

But you are burning up the track with GIMP and once you REALLY get the hang of it, you will be a GRAPHICS GODDESS!

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Knitting is actually one of the best therapies known for carpal tunnel.  My doc is wanting me to learn to do it specifically for that reason.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:11am:
Veridian Etoile wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:02pm:

But you are burning up the track with GIMP and once you REALLY get the hang of it, you will be a GRAPHICS GODDESS!

Thanks! I hope so, I like graphics design, it's right up my alley. I just wish I had inherited my uncle's ability to paint/draw but unfortunately that talent wasn't passed down to any of his nieces or nephews (in my case grandniece).

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #19 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Deirachel wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 3:28am:
Knitting is actually one of the best therapies known for carpal tunnel.  My doc is wanting me to learn to do it specifically for that reason.

I've already had the operations, in 2000 to be exact but it seems that there was too much damage for them to be effective to me.

My doc never suggested that but like I said, it's been a long time since I had the operations. I don't even bother to mention the pain and trouble I have from the nerve damage any longer, it took me YEARS to convince him my constant headaches were more than "just stress" as it is.

I did try knitting years ago, long before the CTS started damaging my marginal nerve but even back then, I knew I didn't have the patience for it.

The only thing I like to do with yarn is make pompoms out of it, which is relatively easy. I know a lot of people around here were making "pompom" pets which is basically a lot of pompoms sewn together to resemble cats, dogs, etc. That is the one thing yarn wise that I would be able to do and have the patience for!! Grin

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

crafting update :)
Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I also use looms.  I have rakes and rounds.  Actually bought the new Martha Stewart loom kit.  It has two sizes of pegs and several pieces so you can customize the loom to the project.  You can weave on them as well.  Might be a lot easier on the hands, I know for hats n scarves it's a lot faster than regular knitting.  I'm looking forward to trying that Smiley  So far I can't manage to make a decent pom pom to save my life! 

Anyway, with the dpn's I've managed to make a spiral hat for the bloke.. Lots of mistakes but he loves it anyway.  I have also finally managed to knit some test socks and actually turned the heels.  Now to do them properly without having the little holes at the ankle where they join! 

I've loomed a few hats and cowls as well. Couldn't knit or crochet Lion Brand Homespun the old fashioned way but it sure works well on the looms!  So I guess the next projects will be socks and mittens.  Possibly gloves.  Not sure yet Smiley

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Since my last post I've managed to finish up two scarves, a new heavier winter hat for the Bloke and a real pair of socks Smiley  The scarves were done in bulkier yarn.  I picked up some patons Shetland wool for the blokes hat and loomed it. Very nice and warm, he loves it!  I made the anklets in fingering weight baby yarn on dpns. They're not perfect but are wearable and beautifully soft!  I made some wedge Tunisian crochet dishcloths for the MIL.  I've never done Tunisian crochet before and not sure I was holding things right because it really hurt my wrists.  Actually had to take a couple days break from yarn working after to give them a rest.

I have some new sock yarn from Bernat so I see some more anklets in my future.  I also picked up cotton to make my Mom some dishclothes but haven't decided what method to use yet.  Maybe knit this time.

IP Logged

tabby

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 11:52am
Print Post  
I've recently learned how to crochet. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time and finally decided to just do it. I've made a baby blanket so far and am working on a blanket for hubby. He loves it so much already and has stated that he isn't going to ever share it. Lol

I want to learn how to knit next. I have abloom but I don't have the space to put it out at the moment. I've been cross stitching since I was 16, to try to learn patience, and so that is one of my passions. I never keep them though and lately I'm not sure who to make them for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint