Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Back to School (Read 15688 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Back to School
Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I know, the school year isn't officially over yet for my area, and here I am thinking about the 2011-2012 school year already!!

I've already compiled a partial list of what my son will need for grade 1... I'll probably get a FULL list when he comes home on Report Card day on Thursday...

New knapsack... The one he's using is two years old and falling apart. He used it in preschool.

New sneakers, both indoor and outdoor. He has HUGE feet for his age... Heck, he's above average in height also, he's big for 7 years old.

New clothing, which is the norm for a school year up here. Some of the clothes he wore to school last year will still fit but some of it is either worn out or getting too small now. Thank the gods for SALES and second hand stores!!

I'll be starting the back to school shopping sometime soon... I find if I do some here and there instead of waiting until the last minute like my mom used to, it isn't such a HUGE bill when one goes to the checkout... Plus buying a lot of things at the dollar stores will help with a lot of the stuff like pencils, scribblers, etc. And if I can't get that stuff there, I'll just hit one of the department stores during their back to school sales!!

Yeah, I'm planning ahead again. Tongue

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Back to School
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Planning ahead is good. Spreading out the "buying" of all the supplies is about the only way that we could handle having two kids in school. Textbooks aren't supplied for free in this state, you have to rent them and that runs into an appalling amount of money which comes on top of the list of supplies that your kid has to walk into the classroom with on the first day!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:25pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Text books were "loaned" here... If one didn't return them at the end of the term or the end of the school year, one had to pay full price for them. One can't write in them though, even with pencils or erasable ink.

I still remember going on those long shopping trips to town with Mom, she let me pick out a lot of the things I needed within a certain price range. Unfortunately, most of the stuff I really wanted was too expensive... Yeah, I liked the brand names and such when I was in my teens. I hope my son never turns out to be like that but he may... I just hope we can afford a lot of it by then!!

Things for school are NOT cheap up here... Most of the time, a decent binder that will last the entire year costs $20 or more and a decent knapsack that will last more than a month costs close to $30 on sale. I am glad my son doesn't mind the plain backpacks because the stuff that's got the brand name stuff like the "Cars" logo on it is even more expensive than the regular ones!!  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

euphemia

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Veridian Etoile wrote on Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:42pm:
Things for school are NOT cheap up here... Most of the time, a decent binder that will last the entire year costs $20 or more and a decent knapsack that will last more than a month costs close to $30 on sale. I am glad my son doesn't mind the plain backpacks because the stuff that's got the brand name stuff like the "Cars" logo on it is even more expensive than the regular ones!!  Smiley

I feel your pain. Granted, I'm getting ready for college coming back in late August...my stuff is, of course, even more expensive. I'm looking forward to going back to college, but I am definitely not looking forward to having to spend tons and tons of moolah on supplies (especially textbooks) again. Yuck.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 2:10am
Print Post  
It should not cost so DAMNED much to get an education. At any level.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:25pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Sitalique

Watching from the shadows

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 2:46am
Print Post  
We are going to have to get help from my parents once again when it comes time for getting school clothes.
Thankfully the boy still has a backpack in good shape so we don't need to buy another one, and supplies (paper, pencils, that type of thing) are usually cheap around here.

I'm just hoping that the school doesn't wait until the last minute to send out lists this year.

Always wandering, only sometimes lost
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Agreed, Penth. It's ridiculous how much school supplies cost these days... If one has to pay tuition, it's freaking INSANE how much it costs!! Even one year of community college costs over $1000 up here, that does NOT include text books either!!  Smiley I have no clue how much one year of university costs... It's over $15,000 a year, I do know that much!!!

Clothing: NOT CHEAP!! As it is, we're looking for sales... Some of my son's clothing will fit him again next school year (thank the gods!!!) but some things won't, like his indoor sneakers. I'm so glad he's not one for brand names... As long as it fits him, and he's comfy in the clothing, he's fine with it. He likes the "track pants", which are basically elastic waist pants that look like something someone would wear on the track field... He can't do up zippers or buttons yet (he needs to work on his fine motor skills) so the track pants are the next best thing to jeans. I'll also be hitting my old workplace, the second hand clothing/general items store to see if I can find some great clothing again this year... About 75% of what my son wore this past school year came from there, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get more again this coming year!!  Smiley

I do have some good news... Apparently, the grade 1 teacher goes out and purchases ALL supplies like scribblers, etc for the children and we parents just refund her. Same as last year. The only things we really have to purchase ourselves (other than new clothing) are indoor sneakers, a new backpack/knapsack, a lunch box (his one from this year will do perfectly fine, it's in great condition) and a box of Kleenex. Other than that, we don't have to get anything extra for him, thank the stars!!  Smiley

Just over 2 months to go until school starts on September 6th here... And yeah, my son is now officially in GRADE 1!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

euphemia

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 2:41am
Print Post  
My college's day program (the "regular" one) costs at least $35,000 a year.

Luckily, I go to the evening program. Granted, it's still pricey for the tax bracket my family's out of...The evening program costs at least $9,000...

And yep, doesn't include textbooks, parking decal, supplies, transportation costs, food, &c. Good times, good times.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Tomorrow is the big day for my son... His first day of Grade 1!!

Things are just about organized here... We did find out that his new teacher is buying most of the supplies and we have only a few things to get for him.

On the list was a placemat, indoor and outdoor sneakers, a box of kleenex, a lunchbox and a bookbag, plus money to cover the cost of supplies and school fees.

Last year's bookbag is falling apart so I got another one for him dirt cheap at our local second hand store (the one I used to work at). His lunch box and both pairs of sneakers are still in good shape so he'll just be reusing them again this year... Until he outgrows his sneakers that is, then I'll be getting him new pairs for both inside and out.

Hubby and I were hitting the second hand clothing stores both in our local area and in Halifax... Hubby managed to get a LOT of new shirts and t-shirts for the little guy dirt cheap so he has plenty of clothing to wear... A lot of the pants he wore last year are still in great shape too and still fit him so he'll be using those again this year.

I do know he needs NEW winter boots, so I'll be getting them probably with this month's Child Tax Credit check (I'm Canadian and we get a supplement for children under 16 who are living at home from our government), along with a new winter jacket if I am lucky enough to find one.

Thanks to his one aunt and uncle, Son also has some new sweaters, one with our favorite hockey team's logo on it. Cheesy (GO LEAFS!) So he's okay for sweaters for the year!

Son said he wants to wear his Yugi Oh shirt and have chicken nuggest for lunch tomorrow... So I'll be getting that done shortly. I want everything done that I can get done before going to bed tonight... It's going to be chaos here in the mornings until we get back into the swing of Son in school again.

I'm going to miss him terribly during the daytimes but he loves school, and I know he's going to be okay... I just have to learn NOT to worry about him so much!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
THURSDAY is the big day for my son, Grade 2!!

Once again, his teacher is purchasing all of the supplies and we'll just be refunding her. He needs a couple of pairs of new pants and some new t-shirts but we have enough to get by until my next child tax credit check on the 20th.

We're hoping to take him in to meet his new teacher and see the new classroom on Tuesday... We may also find out who the Teacher's Assistant will be for his class this year. I am hoping his old TA will be with his grade 2 class but since she was with him two years in a row (which is almost unheard of in our district!), I'm not expecting a third year. He may get her in his class again in the future but probably not this year. Sad

We'll also be getting him a few things he needs on Tuesday... Like his indoor sneakers, some new socks, etc. He is growing so quickly!!! His boots, etc are still good for him to wear this year so it's just a case of digging them out and making sure they're cleaned up if they need it.

The insanity of the first few days before school starts has begun.... Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Like I said in the current What's Happening thread, we did get to take Son into school today and we met his new teacher... She's a different one than we were expecting but she seems really nice and has taught ASD students before so hopefully Son will adapt to her in no time.

He's also going to have the same TA in his class that he's had for the last two years... She'll only be working mornings with him and he has another TA in the class in the afternoons but that's fine with me!!!

Son has a few new t-shirts, new indoor sneakers (Size FOUR!!) and some more new stuff to wear this year... He's very excited and wants me to pack his book bag NOW, but I can't fully do it until tomorrow, when I'll be getting things ready for Thursday morning. I've started getting things ready today so I am not zooming around tomorrow though!

I think things are going to go great this year... I hope so at least! Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Son had a WONDERFUL first day of Grade 2!!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Veridian Etoile wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:52pm:
Son had a WONDERFUL first day of Grade 2!!!!  Smiley

YAY!! Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Five weeks to go until school starts in our district (sw Nova Scotia)... We have a LONG list of things to get Son this year... Apparently after grade 2, the parents have to get it all instead of the teacher doing it and the parents refunding them.

Well, we DO have a few things already... Like the indoor sneakers. Son's from last year still fit him so that's good.... And his bookbag is still in great condition, as is his jacket, etc from last year.

Otherwise we have a tonne of stuff to get... Thankfully we can get most of it at the dollar store so we don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it!  Smiley The list is in the car, and since Hubby has the car at work with him, I can't complete compile one for here to give y'all an idea on what we still have to get!!! *SIGH*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Yeah, all the stores locally that sell school supplies have a big information center right next to the "school supply" section with the supply lists for every grade at every school in the area so parents can get started on the buying. The districts all have slightly different start times but most of the local ones will be starting next week or the week after at the latest.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Something like that wouldn't work up here... Each class in every school is different and each teacher has their own list, so we get it with the final report cards of the year, or in the mail. *SIGH*

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Our School division gives the supply lists of all the grades/schools to the stores also to make it easier for parents.  I always lost my list!  If your school has a website you might want to suggest that they make the school supply lists available on it so people that have lost theirs can just print a new one.  It doesn't cost them any money and helps everyone out Smiley

Now that you're stuck getting his supplies from here on out I have some tips that in the long run will save you some money.

Get a large Rubbermaid tote.. I know they're expensive but they seal the best, so they are the best at keeping dust, moisture and pests out.  Keep this just for storing school supplies.  Then, after the rush for school supply buying is over, the stores will start (some as early as mid September) selling off the leftover supplies at some ridiculously low prices to get rid of them.  You get the quality brand names cheap and just put them away for next year.  It's really great for the pencils, crayons, pencil crayons, erasers.  Scribblers stored (basically all your paper) wrapped in the bag they were previously purchased in keep well.  I would also recommend grabbing some good zip-type freezer bags.  Glue sticks last a lot longer stored that way.  If you have liquid glue it will last longer and if it leaks, it won't ruin all your stuff.  I also store pens/markers/highlighters in zip locks.   We have some beautiful art supplies here for next to nothing because of it.  Keep a written list taped to the inside of the lid to keep track of what's there and what's gone out.  Over the years I guarantee it will save you a lot of money and aggravation.  Just by way of example, we haven't had to buy loose-leaf in over 5 years and my youngest will be starting his last year of high school this fall, the oldest starting his final year of college. 

I get way too excited about school.. I wish I could afford to go back to Uni...

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:48am by Ravens Tears »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
One of the happiest moments of my life was when I graduated from high school and knew I'd never have to return to that particular Circle of Hell ever again....

No. High school was NOT the "best years of my life."

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
We just get the list from the school with the report cards up here.

For me, high school mostly stunk. Yeah, I was in the rougher gang and was a complete and utter little snot. Sometimes I'd like to go back to that time as I am now and slap my younger self silly for all the stupid stuff I did when I was in my teens and the nasty stuff I did too. *SIGH*

I've been working on getting things ready for next Thursday. Son's bookbag is heavy and we still do NOT have everything into it yet!  Smiley I'm glad it's only going to be like that for the FIRST day only....

I still have to get a new lunch box for him, and find his gym clothes. I know where the food containers are, I washed them and put them into plastic to KEEP them clean all summer long, so that's out of the way too....

ONE WEEK TO GO........... Gods, where did the summer go?  Undecided

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Thataway ------->

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #20 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that about covers it. *SIGH* Undecided

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
This is it.. The last day of summer vacation! Shocked  Smiley

The summer went by pretty fast for me, but for Son, it was long and boring by times. He can't wait to get back to school and start learning again. He loves it and can't wait to start showing off his unbelievable math skills to his Grade 3 teacher!  Smiley

As much as he can drive me nuts, I'm going to miss having him home all day and it'll be a couple of weeks until I adjust not having him around all day during the week and the freaking EARLY MORNINGS. Blech...

His bookbag is packed, minus his lunchbox... And the only things I have to put in there will be his "main course" and the ice pack, then it's into the bookbag in the morning. I have everything shoved in there with room to spare and it's HEAVY! Poor kid. Sad His clothing is laid out, I have my Creed baseball cap waiting and our jackets are somewhere that Fatty can't lay on them and shed like the booger cat she is.

As much as I hate to see him go, it'll be nice to get back into the school day routine again... And for me to get back into writing at least part time, IF I can figure out how to get moving in Book 2 of my duology.........................

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #22 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
And.... The dreaded HOMEWORK begins this year. Son is NOT happy that he has to do school work at home, but he's going to do it if he wants computer time. No arguments! He knows it too, so we'll be working on that on and off through the evening even if it isn't due until Friday. I'm going to make sure he's done it EARLY whether he likes it or not.

He knows better than to argue with Mom.... He loses stuff if he does! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint