Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park in Nova Scotia Canada (Pics included) (Read 1005 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park in Nova Scotia Canada (Pics included)
Jul 14th, 2011 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Yesterday, Hubby, our son and I made the two hour journey northeast to this wonderful place to see the animals and teach our son more about the animals who are indigenous to our province and some that are not.

A lot of the animals who reside at the park are either adopted after being injured and unable to survive in the wild or who were born there, descendents of animals who had been injured and brought to the park by vets or private citizens. The people who run the park are wonderful with them, they make sure each animal is at their peak health and do their best to make sure every habitat is as close to the animal's natural habitat that one can get within a park/wildlife refuge.

One of the species that reside there who are not indigenous to Nova Scotia is the peacock. However, these birds wander freely around the entire park and one can hear their calls across the 40 hectares that the park covers!! They are beautiful but noisy and will deliberately trip a person up to get a tidbit of corn if they can!!

One can feed the waterfowl and the deer all they want to, it's 25 cents Canadian for a handfull of feed for either group. We were unable to feed the deer because none of them came up to the fence. However, the ducks, swans, peacocks/peahens, pigeons and rabbits were around and were eager to be fed by all of their human visitors. My son's favorite part of the entire 3 hour tromp through the park was feeding the ducks. He thinks they are so cute and loves how a lot of them are so tame that they will eat out of your hand!!

Here's a pic of only a small portion of the ducks who call Shubenacadie "home"...

Yeah, there are a LOT of mallard ducks there!!

Some of the other indigenous species included bobcats, beavers, black bears, red foxes, minks, hawks, falcons and pheasants.

My favorites are the skunks, the porcupines, the raccoons, the otters, the bald eagles and of course, the cougars/pumas/mountain lions.

Here are some pics from yesterday, only a small portion of the pictures I took and then uploaded into Facebook:

A turkey (male):

A swift fox:

A peacock showing his plumage:

A bald eagle:

A timber wolf:

Canada Geese:

One of the skunks:

A rabbit who lives in the park and runs loose:

A raccoon:

Two black swans:

These next two photos are for Penth, who loves otters:

These last two pics are for Moonie, Penth and any other cat lovers out there, the cougars/pumas/mountain lions:

All in all, it was a long trip to and from the park and I am sore from tromping around looking at animals for over 3 hours... But it was MORE than worth it!! Cheesy

If anyone out there gets to visit Nova Scotia, I highly recommend visiting Shubenacadie, it's a great place to be, to see some interesting animals and to learn about some of the indigenous species of Nova Scotia.  Smiley

For more information about Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park in Shubenacadie Nova Scotia, you can go here: http://wildlifepark.gov.ns.ca/

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

CmdrVimes

I do only what the little
voices tell me to do.

Re: Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park in Nova Scotia Canada (Pics included)
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
It looks gorgeous VE Smiley

My favourite are the big cats.

I hope that Simon will take us to West Midlands Safari Park in the school break.

We also want to go to a sea life centre Smiley

Did little man enjoy it?

"That is not my cow"....."Where is my cow?!"
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park in Nova Scotia Canada (Pics included)
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Carol. Yes, my son had a lot of fun there, especially when he was feeding the ducks and peacocks.

I love the big cats too... The cougars there are just amazing creatures.

We have a Fisheries Museum not that far from us here, in Lunenburg... In fact, my son had his class trip for school at the Fisheries Museum this past year and with his preschool. They have a lot of information about sea life, they have live fish in tanks there, they have a touch tank and they are the port where the Bluenose II (Nova Scotia's sailing ambassador) stays when it's in the area. Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint