Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Veridian's Routine and Progress (Read 734 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Veridian's Routine and Progress
Jan 9th, 2012 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Walking around the neighborhood... It's free, sometimes challenging but always a good way to help one get back into shape.

I'm lucky in some ways, because my road is not only in a rural area with low vehicular traffic, it's a natural obstacle course... There are a lot of hills, curves and valleys on this road, which makes the walking a little harder for anyone who isn't used to it.

Last week, I began a regimen of walking down to the creek and back, which is about 1/3 of a mile, round trip. The first day I took my walk was last Tuesday and even over that short distance, I could feel the "burn" in my legs. I normally don't walk further than to the mailbox and back, which is less than 1/4 of that distance so this was a little more than I've done in the last couple of years. It's mostly flat between here and the creek, which is a good starting point, even with the little hill just before the creek, and perfect for someone just starting out.

I plan to increase the distance I walk each week until I'm up to a full mile one way, which is down to the sign for the next community... Round trip, that will be a full two miles. If I can increase that even more, I'll be happy but I want to set *realistic* goals for my exercise and the amount my legs and body can take before completely going bonkers on me! LOL

This week, I am increasing the distance of my walk another 100 feet... There is a dirt road just beyond the creek and halfway up a hill that I KNOW I can walk to and back without problems. I'll be walking that distance the rest of this week and next week, I hope to increase it even more to another side road, which is beyond the dirt road by another 200 or so feet one way.

Increasing the distance slowly but surely WILL help one get used to walking the full two miles in time! I'm hoping to be able to do that by the time May rolls around. If not, I'll be VERY disappointed in myself!!

I've also decided that I'm going to be offline more... No more 15 hour days on the computer for me! Even on the days when the weather isn't right for walking (rain/snow/hurricanes!), I'll be offline at some point, stretching or trying to do some form of exercise, just to keep myself limber and keep those muscles from getting weak again. Dancing around the kitchen for 20 minutes or doing one of the workouts along with a TV program is good for me too and it will utilize all of my muscles instead of just the ones in my legs, on the days I can't walk... I may start doing that anyway, if Hubby will let me have the freaking TV for half an hour that is.... Roll Eyes

I hope to get pics of neat things on my walks too, like our Sooleawa has on her own walks. We have a lot of neat stuff back here in my area and since I'm noticing stuff now that I didn't in the last NINE years I've been living back here due to driving instead of walking, I want to document it all. I'm a bit of a shutterbug so it's like combining the pain and the effort in with something I enjoy. Why not make things fun instead of suffering is my way of thinking!! LOL

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: Veridian's Routine and Progress
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Today, I left the house an hour early for my walk. The sun had barely come up over the trees, there were a few snowflakes coming down, and it was still rather chilly outside but I enjoyed it.

Everything looks bleak from a distance due to it being January but if one really looks, they CAN find some beauty in amongst the browns and whites of winter. I did take the camera with me today and it WAS actually working for a change... I'll get to that in a bit.

Today's goal was walking an extra 100 feet past the creek/stream to a dirt road that forks off of our road and I did do it. The road is halfway up a hill not far past the stream/creek and walking down was a LOT easier than walking up... It's a pretty steep incline and I'm thinking even going halfway up it is what is really making the legs SCREAM!!

Along the way, I had the camera out and snapped a few pics... All woodland and lake/stream pics, no houses. I wanted to show my friends and family how pretty things are even in the dead of winter without snow laying on top of it.

The picture is one that I took just this morning, it's of the western side of the stream (I'm standing on the bridge) and you can see the lake that goes behind the western side of our property. Funny thing is, if my great uncle was still alive and still able to paint, he would probably paint a scene like this... He was quite well known for his woodlands paintings after all! Grin

Tomorrow, I'll be taking the same route and walking the same distance... Weather permitting and if I can rip myself away from my word processor long enough to do it....... Cheesy

100_6628.JPG ( 234 KB | Downloads )
100_6628.JPG

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint